Need help! Pregnancy test question... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 09-23-2004, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a question.....i have had 2 positive home tests....but my blood test came back negative....what should i think???? I would only have conceived 10 days ago....i know the blood test is super accurate...but still...2 positive home tests? Any wisdom?
#2 of 15 Old 09-23-2004, 11:04 PM

Are you TTC? Did you give birth recently?
#3 of 15 Old 09-23-2004, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

have not given birth for 6 years.....and so not trying, no....i am praying the blood test is right....
#4 of 15 Old 09-23-2004, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

bumping cause i am in a panic...
#5 of 15 Old 09-23-2004, 11:24 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I've never known a positive home test to be wrong, but I guess it could happen. Where did you get the blood test? What did the doc/tech say?

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#6 of 15 Old 09-23-2004, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

i had it done at Planned Parenthood, and all the tech did was call and say it was negative
#7 of 15 Old 09-23-2004, 11:28 PM

This is such a perplexing thing. I post on a clomid site elsewhere, and another lady had the same thing happen to her. She was NOT pg. Unless your blood test was switched with someone elses, a blood test is most accurate.

I was always taught that there really isn't anything that can make a HPT read positive except hcg. You only get hcg in your urine from a pg, an Hcg trigger shot, or a tumor. However, you are not the first woman to have a false pos. I would keep getting beta hcg blood test until your period shows up.

They are not evaporation lines are they? Did they show up in the time frame that the instructions state?
#8 of 15 Old 09-23-2004, 11:31 PM

urine tests are either positive or negative. blood test measures the level of pregnancy hormone, but isn't necessarily more accurate or sensitive. What kind of HPT did you use? Did you get a faint line, or a dark one? In the time allotted? There is such a thing as evaporation line, which is usually a faint line that shows up outside the ten or twenty minutes the box tells you to read the test - that is not a positive test. Some brands will show up positive very very early in the pregnancy, maybe even too early for a blood test to be accurate.... wait another week and have more blood drawn if AF doesn't show up by then.
#9 of 15 Old 09-23-2004, 11:32 PM

Quote:
If your home pregnancy test was positive while a blood test was negative, first and foremost, you must take a second test to confirm whether or not you are pregnant. Home pregnancy tests are around 97% accurate when done correctly. However, a blood test is more accurate, but not necessarily more sensitive. The results depend a lot on the lab, methodology and technique of the blood test performed.

A positive result from a home pregnancy test shows the presence of the hormone human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) in your system. This is usually a sign that you have become pregnant.

A quantitative blood test, usually called a beta human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) test, measures the exact units of human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) in the blood. That means it will detect even the most minimal level. There is another type of blood test sometimes called a qualitative human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) test. This is a test that simply gives a yes or no answer to whether you are pregnant.

There could be various reasons why your home pregnancy test was positive while a blood test was negative. Just like home pregnancy tests, labs vary as to what is considered a positive pregnancy test. Common cutoffs for positive blood tests for pregnancy are 5, 10, and 25 units. A level under 5 is considered negative. A blood test that is only triggered at 25 units of human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) is not any more sensitive than several of the home pregnancy tests.
from http://www.babyhopes.com/articles/po...-negative.html
#10 of 15 Old 09-23-2004, 11:35 PM
Banned

Hmmm... I would have the blood test re done. Some labs have much higher levels of HCG by which they judge the test 'positive' (blood, i mean). Also maybe get another good quality pg test, maybe a digital one and try that again too.
#11 of 15 Old 09-23-2004, 11:44 PM

incog, just curious, did you make up this name, or did mdc give it to you?
#12 of 15 Old 09-23-2004, 11:52 PM

If you have had a miscarriage recently, there may still be some pregnancy hormones in your system, which can cause a positive on an HPT.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#13 of 15 Old 09-24-2004, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

I am actually a long time poster here...just, due to life circumstance right now, am posting incognito, thus the name
#14 of 15 Old 09-24-2004, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

they both came up in the alotted time, and were pretty light, but 100% there....hmmmm
#15 of 15 Old 09-24-2004, 12:21 AM

the reason i asked is because i saw that under the previous posts under this name, that you/the previous poster had a miscarriage, and i was thinking that could affect the test...i'm assuming that wasn't you though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page