Paraguard reviews - Mirena vs. Paragard IUD - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 458 Old 02-06-2012, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

LovingLife44, I have to say so far so good for me as well.  I have had the Paragard for a month now and I feel totally normal.  Read my posts above, insertion was the same for me as you experienced and I had moderate spotting and clotting for a few days, then nothing.  Sex was fine, no difference and hubby didnt feel a thing!  I got my perior for the first time with Paragard on Sunday, no cramps but bleeding a bit heavier than normal for me.  Nothing crazy though.  I am pretty happy with it so far!

#302 of 458 Old 02-06-2012, 08:14 PM

I have a Paraguard IUD. The first 3 months of having it my periods were irregular, but then they went back to normal 6-7 day periods. I still have very bad cramps the first day or two of my period and very heaving bleeding, but I had already had both of those problems without the IUD. Also, the heavy bleeding stops after the first two or three days along with the cramps. My doctor said that the Mirena IUD does make your period less heavy, but it can only be used for 5 years, whereas the Paraguard can be used for up to10 years and has no hormones. My doctor also said that she removes Paragard IUD's at least once a year because a women is unhappy with them, but she has never removed a Mirena. I have had my Paragard for almost 8 months though, and I am pretty happy with it. 

#303 of 458 Old 02-06-2012, 08:20 PM

800 mg of Ibuprofin a few times a day really helps with the cramps for me and if there is still pain, tylenol in between doses of ibuprofin works well. I've been doing that for years. I also make sure to take the Ibuprofin when I go to bed and then right away when I wake up in the morning before I get the cramps. It starts the morning off right!

#304 of 458 Old 02-06-2012, 09:52 PM

Did it really hurt alot? I'm really considering it and seeing everyone say that it hurt a lot is making me nervous since I'm such a baby when it comes to pain.. And i heard there is a pill to soften the cervix before the IUD is placed in... Anyone know what pill that was?  

#305 of 458 Old 02-07-2012, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hi Laurenx003, I don't want to lie, when I had mine placed before I had been pregnant, it sure did hurt quite a bit. BUT I know a lot- and I mean a LOT- of women who have gotten IUDs pre-baby and didn't have nearly as much pain. It's possible that my doctor's technique was not as good as it might have been. The pill you're thinking of is misoprostol, also known as Cytotec. Some providers find that putting it in the vagina the night before the IUD is inserted softens the cervix and makes it easier, but not everyone does it.  Neither of my providers (1st- doc, 2nd- nurse practitioner) did. The research on the subject suggests that it doesn't make much of a difference, if any.

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#306 of 458 Old 02-13-2012, 07:06 AM

yes i have had both the Mirena and the Paraguard... the Mirena was awesome... no periods or anything... i had the Mirena for 2 yrs, and I have had the Paraguard about 13 months and i am having extrememly heavy periods, long periods like 10 days and i am having really bad headaches with the Paraguard... hope this helps... I called today to see if i could get the Paraguard out and get the Mirena back... waiting on dr to call back

#307 of 458 Old 02-13-2012, 10:45 AM

I had the Mirena for 8 months. And suffered the entire time. Pain during sex, extreme cramping for Weeks on end, and then a 6cm cist formed on my right ovarie. Had the mirena removed and within 24 hours I honestly thought I was dying. My body acted as if I was having another miscarriage so my husband took me to the ER and even the doctors and nurses there were worried enough to call my OBGYN (this is on Christmas eve night 2010) he immediately took me into surgery because my cist had ruptured. it was really bad.

Now I have the paragard, and love it. Yes I did have heavy periods for the first 2 months but it lightened up and everything is pretty much back to normal! And no babies! So that is even better!
LeeLu likes this.
#308 of 458 Old 02-13-2012, 10:56 AM

I am happy to report that my first period on Paragard came and went with NO cramps at all!  Yay!  I had a heavier than normal flow for 2 days, then tapered off.  7 day period like always... Very happy!

#309 of 458 Old 02-14-2012, 07:31 AM

I had a paraguard IUD for about a year and a half until my daughter was conceived right beside it.  Needless to say I don't recommend it.  Thankfully, I have a healthy daughter, but it was scary at the time.

#310 of 458 Old 02-15-2012, 05:25 PM

I am new to this site but love all the great info I always read! SO THANKS!  Anyway.  I have an appt at 3 tomorrow to get the paragard REMOVED.  Scares me a little bc of the fact that it is so EASY for me to have children.  My boyfriend and I do want to have more children, however we just had our daughter 10 months ago.  **Blessing** The reason I want to have this removed is bc I have TERRIBLE periods and right before my periods I get very light headed and dizzy.  I am LITTERALLY in bead for 2 days after my period starts.  I do want to add, however, it is very effective =)  I would recommend Paragard, but it's hard on me to be in bed when I have a family to take care of..I cannot afford to feel unwell..does this sound petty?

#311 of 458 Old 02-15-2012, 10:32 PM

I had mirena for three years. I had some cramp when it was first inserted but couple of ibuprofin for a day or two. I remember that I had spotting first few months. It seemed like I had a two to three days period every other two weeks. My cycles began to be normal in about the third or forth month. I was really happy wt it. My period were on time n normal period cramping. The hormones in the mirena didn't effect my wight or causing skin problems. As two years had gone by.. I was very comfortable wt it and I was actually too comfortable that I just let my days went by day to day. I lost interests and motivation to do any thing. My periods were getting lighter n some month I don't have my period at all. I didn't feel normal at all. I was always tired n needed a nap every day. I had it removed after three years. I began to feel like myself agin after six months than I realized that I had a depression. So be aware in ur changes because I didn't realized that it caused my depression n lost in interests.

After I had it removed for two years now... I'm feeling great n be myself like the way i was before I had a mirena. I now just had the paragurd for about a month now. Cramping on first few days but nothing serious n few ibuprofen took care of that. I hope that this paragurd will be better because it doesn't have hormones in it n it will still be the body's own natural way wt a little help from the copper for birth controlling
#312 of 458 Old 02-15-2012, 10:34 PM

I had mirena for three years. I had some cramp when it was first inserted but couple of ibuprofin for a day or two. I remember that I had spotting first few months. It seemed like I had a two to three days period every other two weeks. My cycles began to be normal in about the third or forth month. I was really happy wt it. My period were on time n normal period cramping. The hormones in the mirena didn't effect my wight or causing skin problems. As two years had gone by.. I was very comfortable wt it and I was actually too comfortable that I just let my days went by day to day. I lost interests and motivation to do any thing. My periods were getting lighter n some month I don't have my period at all. I didn't feel normal at all. I was always tired n needed a nap every day. I had it removed after three years. I began to feel like myself agin after six months than I realized that I had a depression. So be aware in ur changes because I didn't realized that it caused my depression n lost in interests.

After I had it removed for two years now... I'm feeling great n be myself like the way i was before I had a mirena. I now just had the paragurd for about a month now. Cramping on first few days but nothing serious n few ibuprofen took care of that. I hope that this paragurd will be better because it doesn't have hormones in it n it will still be the body's own natural way wt a little help from the copper for birth controlling
#313 of 458 Old 02-15-2012, 10:45 PM

I also forgot to mention that after I had a mirena for three months. .. I had a trip to er for ovarian cyst ruptured. I was hospitalized for two days n my medical bill was 14k. It could have been from a mirena.
#314 of 458 Old 02-18-2012, 06:58 PM

I only tried Paragaurd, for one year and had a lot of pain the whole time, come  to find out, it was hooked into the wall of my uterus and I had to have it surgically removed. I was bummed because I was a little excited to have a BC that was hormone free. Oh well, tracking my ovulation works great for me and it's totally natural. I should have listened to my self the day I went in to get the IUD and had a really bad feeling. Never doubt yourself.

#315 of 458 Old 02-20-2012, 10:10 PM

are u able to lose weight with the paragard?

#316 of 458 Old 02-21-2012, 07:52 PM

I have had both IUD's. Let me begin my first saying that I am EXTREMELY sensitive to hormones. I had the Paragard put in in 2000 and had it for 10 years with NO problems. It was painful during the insertion and I had cramping afterwards. My periods were normal up until the tenth year I had it. My periods became irregular and much heavier. My NP talked me into having my Paragard replaced with the Mirena. She convinced me by telling me that the hormone emitted from the Mirena was only local and would not give me any side effects.  I've had the Mirena for a little more than a year now and I'm having it removed next week. My periods completely stopped which was wonderful! HOWEVER, I became EXTREMELY depressed, gained weight (10 lbs. and I'm a very clean eater and work out 5 times a week - I do bikini competitions), have constant bacterial and vaginal infections, have headaches (never had headaches before), and completely lost my sex drive not to mention can't "get lubricated" AT ALL! The whole time I've had the Mirena I kept denying the side effects, but they have gotten so bad I would rather have a 10 day period than be depressed and fatigued as I have been for the past year now. SO if you are sensitive to hormones- do not consider the Mirena. The doctors will try to tell you that it doesn't cause side effects, but I am here to assure you that IT DOES!!!!!!! I did lots of research before I had it inserted and wished I knew then what I know now. I paid $400 for it, but have no problem with having it removed and losing the money just so I can have my sanity back. Hope this helps anyone in question!

#317 of 458 Old 02-22-2012, 11:19 AM

I have read so much on both the Mirena IUD, and the Paragard IUD today. I have not ever had one, but have tried SO MANY different types of BC. I just stopped using the Nuvaring. I am sensitive to hormones. I also have a sensitive body. I would like to choose the Paragard over the Mirena. I am worried about the heavy periods, and cramping tho, as i already have troubles with cramping, but i have always had a light period. I'm also worried about the long term effects of this.... Has anyone had any long term effects from this? And also can you, or your partner feel it during sex?

#318 of 458 Old 02-22-2012, 12:11 PM

I haven't had the paraguard , but I did have the mirana and I had nothing but problems. It started with pelvic pain. Then pcos I had so many cysts on my ovaries and cervical cancer I got my leep procedure done in august of 2008 I got it removed ...I still have extreem pain and now ovarian cancer
#319 of 458 Old 02-24-2012, 07:28 AM

To answer your question about feeling the device during sex.......At first your partner will be able to feel the strings, but over time they will soften. I could not feel them at all. If they are really long (over 1/4 inch) you should have your GYN trim them.  I can't feel my Mirena strings anymore, so much that I had to have an ultrasound to make sure it was still there! I think it depends on your cycle on whether you can feel it or not. I'm no doctor, but I have heard that your cervix can sit a little lower sometimes depending on your cycle. If this is true it would support why my boyfriend can feel the mirena strings every now and then.  I have pain with the Mirena when having sex sometime though. I think I have been getting cysts and they cause a lot of pressure when having sex.  The Mirena can cause cycts. As far as the actual device, it does cause pain with deep penetration. It feels as though my boyfriend is hitting my cervix and moving the Mirena! I know this is not true, but I can't help to think this is what it feels like.

Anyways, hope this helps.

zwicks likes this.
#320 of 458 Old 02-24-2012, 12:07 PM

Update: First period with Paragard!! 

Background Info: Prior periods - regular, usually 4 or 5 days long, with one or two days of medium/light flow, the remaining days very light. Very rare cramps. Have been off BC for about 3 yrs, so I'd say this is my natural state! 

With Paragard: 

Experienced light cramping the day before, and pretty intense (but short-lived, fortunately) cramping the day my period started. I took ~400mg of Ibuprofen and did yoga, felt much better. 

No cramping during period. But today (stopped bleeding yesterday), am feeling some cramping. 

The second and third days were super heavy. Not unexpected or intolerable, but clearly a change in my routine... had to empty diva cup more frequently than usual, and switched to super duper tampons for yoga & runs. 

The days following were a fairly consistent med-light flow, tapering off to an end on day 6. 

So, a noticeable change, yes.... but, so far not too extreme. Fingers crossed! Have my follow up appointment in a few weeks. 

zwicks likes this.
#321 of 458 Old 02-25-2012, 11:08 PM

Hello,

I have had both. I currently have the Mirena. I had the Paragard after my first son and now Mirena after my second son. Personally I liked the Paragard a lot more. I have had the Mirena in for almost 4 of the 5 years and I don't like the hormones. I am seriously struggling to lose weight, my face breaks out whenever I'm supposed to have my monthly and here's the kicker, I have had 6 ovarian cysts rupture and have had to go to the emergency room and have ultrasounds galore. I am going to switch back after my next ultrasound due to another ovarian cyst that has been like a ticking time bomb. Trust me ovarian cyst ruptures are more painful than the worst contractions. I know other women that have the Mirena and haven't had the exact issues I've had. Some are worse and some are not, but just about everyone of them has had some kind of dislike. I prefer the Paragard and am switching asap. I hope that was helpful :).

zwicks likes this.
#322 of 458 Old 02-26-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tswain0 View Post

Hello,

I have had both. I currently have the Mirena. I had the Paragard after my first son and now Mirena after my second son. Personally I liked the Paragard a lot more. I have had the Mirena in for almost 4 of the 5 years and I don't like the hormones. I am seriously struggling to lose weight, my face breaks out whenever I'm supposed to have my monthly and here's the kicker, I have had 6 ovarian cysts rupture and have had to go to the emergency room and have ultrasounds galore. I am going to switch back after my next ultrasound due to another ovarian cyst that has been like a ticking time bomb. Trust me ovarian cyst ruptures are more painful than the worst contractions. I know other women that have the Mirena and haven't had the exact issues I've had. Some are worse and some are not, but just about everyone of them has had some kind of dislike. I prefer the Paragard and am switching asap. I hope that was helpful :).

I also forgot to mention that I am always tired, I just don't have the energy anymore. Even if I get 10 hours of sleep the night before I am just exhausted all of the time. For the first 3 years I really didn't have any of these problems but in just the last year  I've had the 6 cysts rupture. I guess the stubborn weight has been the whole time though because I am a person with a very fast metabolism and my weight has fluctuated the entire time. It's been very stressful. With the Paragard I spotted about every 2-3 months and with the Mirena I don't even do that, just nothing. I have been reading other peoples responses and I guess just keep an eye out for any of these symptoms because they seem very common.

#323 of 458 Old 02-27-2012, 03:08 PM

Hello to all

I've been using the Paraguard since May 2009. In the beginning it was very painful. My cramps were unbearable.  I had to go to my doctor to get a stronger pain reliever because Ibueprofin was not alleviating my pain.  so he gave me Naproxin which really helped.  My periods were very heavy as well.  I wore a tampon and a pad because I was bleeding heavily.  It's February 27, 2012, and my periods are not heavy anymore and the pain that I was experiencing was reduced tremendously.  

zwicks likes this.
#324 of 458 Old 03-09-2012, 09:43 PM

Florida, I have the labor cramps too. Every month around the time i would get my period and then i will bleed a little. I can gaurentee every time i get that really bad cramp I will go to the bathroom and will have blood. I also have CRAZYYYYYY mood swings, snap at every little thing my Fiance does and getting irritated at the baby when I shouldn't be. I also have completely lost my sex drive which I have never ever had an issue with even two weeks after my c section I was bad on the wagon but used condoms. I have had my Mirena since 6 weeks PP and now my baby is 9 1/2 months. I wanted to wait until after 6 months of the baby just to make sure it wasn't baby hormones still flowing. I'm getting married in June and so worried that my moods will end up destroying my relationship. So on wednesday I'm having it removed and hopefully going for the paragaurd. Honestly I would much rather deal with heavy bleeding than the crazy mood swings I have been having and just being totally miserable about life for no reason that all started after insertion.

#325 of 458 Old 03-11-2012, 06:04 PM

I got a Mirena inserted in the summer of 2008.  As a woman who's never had children, I should've been warned at how badly the insertion would hurt (I read later that it hurts worse than natural childbirth for women who've never had a baby), I was just told to take some ibuprophen before the appointment, which I forgot and didn't do because I didn't think it'd be a big deal.

Being childless at 34 at the time, my GYN didn't want to do anything permanent for birth control but wouldn't give me the pill anymore because I'm also a smoker and was almost at the forbidden "a smoker over 35" mark.  She decided on Mirena, but apparently was somehow unaware that the hormonal affect would be just as bad.  Actually worse.  Within a month or so after having the Mirena put in, half of my hair fell out.  It was already very fine and I was barely left with enough to not look like I was balding, but when I pulled my hair into a pony tail it was pathetic looking.  Even with the Mirena in place it did start growing back in again but grew at a very slow rate.  I'm still waiting for the new growth to get long enough that I can cut it all to the same length again, and have since found other reviews complaining of the same thing.

I had a couple of episodes after having it for about three years where when I'd get really gassy and there'd be a lot of pressure in my abdomen that I guess it compressed my uterus and pushed the device against the wall... which caused REALLY severe pain (as bad as the insertion) until I was able to "relieve some of the pressure" or waited for some ibuprophen to kick in.  Until that started happening I usually couldn't feel it unless it was supposed to be my time of the month... I didn't bleed but for some reason I could usually feel a little burning sensation in my uterus as if there not being any lining there to get rid of wasn't something my body anticipated.

A couple of months ago I had it removed because it felt like it slipped down and was rubbing against the inside of my cervix.  It actually felt like it was hanging out of my cervical opening but upon examination it was found it wasn't.  It was really uncomfortable and instead of having to go get an ultrasound and deal with pushing it back up, I just had it removed.  The first period I had afterward was extremely heavy and lasted a full, heavy 7 days, when before I had it I was a normal 3-4 day girl with very predictably decreasing flow over that time.  I'm still waiting for the second one; it's almost two weeks late with no reason why it should be (no possible way I'd be pregnant).  I do hope that I return to my old "regular" self some time soon, and can only guess that when I finally do get my next one it's going to be as bad as that last one.  Not a very nice welcome-back to menstruating if you ask me!

#326 of 458 Old 03-19-2012, 11:29 AM

With the Mirena IUD has anyone had some pain while having sex? Just wanting to see if its not just me

#327 of 458 Old 03-22-2012, 02:56 PM

I got the Mirena and yes pain during sex, lots of cysts, pain, ultrasounds and once I finally went to have it removed after about the 4th year it wouldn't come out...it had started to attach to my cervix I guess...once I removed it no more acne, I finally was able to lose weight...and I don't care who says pills or any BC for that matter don't make you gain weight...I am back on the pill and have gained all the weight I've lost with still exercising and I eat right...I wanted to try the paraguard but I'm not seeing good things about that either greensad.gif...I might go for the Essure procedure...

#328 of 458 Old 03-26-2012, 04:05 PM

I am 22 years old, I'll be 23 in April, and I am considering having the Paragard placed in May. I have never had children, nor do I ever want to. Mothering is just not for me, children just are gross to me. I'm extremely paranoid about having something mess with my natural hormones, so after consulting with a nurse practitioner she recommended I give Paragard a try. She said it might be painful due to the fact that I've never had children but that it should only be temporary and that an obgyn will be doing the insertion. She also recommended that I come in for insertion while I am on my period. I have a pap smear scheduled for April and another general check up visit with my normal doctor that month, so that's why I'm inserting in May. I have no insurance so I have to keep doctors appointments pretty spaced out. I could wait until after I'm married to get on my fiances insurance, but from what I've read, it takes a few months to a year to feel comfortable with the IUD in place so I would rather get it over with now that later!  I suppose I just wanted to post and keep up with this thread to see how people still feel about it. I haven't really read anything bad about the paragard besides it having heavy cramps and flow. Which, right now, I think I'm willing to handle. :D We'll see! I'll keep you updated and I hope to see more ladies update too!

#329 of 458 Old 03-27-2012, 01:42 PM

I had the Mirena put in in May 2007, after I had my son. I have an appointment next week to have my IUD taken out and replaced, since it is almost expired. I am going to try the Paraguard this time around.
No periods have been nice, but the bad outweighs the good. I've always had mild acne, but it got worse after I had the Mirena put in. I have tried every over the counter and prescription acne medicine I could find. I am even a licensed esthetician, and have tried facials and microdermabrasian and chemical peels and everything else I could think of for acne, and I still can't get rid of it. I also gained weight with the IUD, and no amount of exercise or eating healthy or calorie counting will get rid of it. And in the last year or so, I've developed ovarian cysts.
I am a little worried about the Paraguard. Before I got my IUD, my periods were always light, cramp free, and only lasted 3 to 4 days. With the Mirena, I've had no periods for 5 years. And I have read some horror stories online about women getting the Paraguard, then dealing with a basic blood bath. I am crossing my fingers that I do not have these problems.
The IUD being put in didn't hurt at all for me, but it might also be because I had had my son 6 weeks earlier by way of csection, so I may have still been pretty numb down there. I guess we'll see next week when I have the new one put In.
#330 of 458 Old 04-11-2012, 09:42 PM

The great thing about this thread is that there are so many different opinions and views.  The not so great is that many conclusions are based on faulty logic.

Weight gain is largely  psychosomatic  in birth control users, regardless of type.  In a small percentage of women, there is an increase in fluid retention which technically can cause weight gain.  But we're talking 1-3lbs.  And even in those few women, the weight goes away after a few months.  Women simply do not gain weight "because" of birth control or the hormones in it.  There was a review of over 44 studies that show birth control does not cause weight gain.  So disregard posts swearing their IUD is to blame for weight gain issues. Convenient, but the IUD is no more responsible than a condom would be.  

Also, nearly all women who haven't gone through menopause have ovarian cysts.  Cysts continue with the placement of an IUD.  Whether they rupture or require attention (most cysts are benign and not treated) has not been linked to any birth control.

Less than 8 in 1,000 women get pregnant while using Mirena.  that is less than 1%

I have a wonderful OBGYN and do my own research and I would just hate for women to make a decision based on incomplete information.  Hearing from anonymous women is one thing but also talk to professionals, read scientific studies, and compare info from the ACTUAL manufacturers.

I have the mirena...late 20s and have never been pregnant.  My doc had me take a cervix softener before hand.  It was uncomfortable and painful but not as bad as it sounds by some accounts.  I had cramping for a few hours afterwards, similar to what I have on periods.  So far so good.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page