Paraguard reviews - Mirena vs. Paragard IUD - Page 14 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#391 of 458 Old 10-08-2012, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

RemmusP, who are you responding to? I had the Mirena for a year and discontinued it because I had clearly hormonal side effects- quickly went up a cup size and my breasts were really tender. Crazy cramps. Sex drive down the crapper. (I told my care provider all these things and she tried to tell me it was from stress, to which I replied, this is the first time stress made my boobs bigger.) I tried to hang in there because I liked not having a period but eventually I had it removed. I just know I'm more the exception than the rule. It's a really low dose of the hormone, but obviously there are some of us out there whose bodies didn't get that memo. I'm definitely not a shill. I'm a fan of my Paragard, though, and I'm a CNM who really likes women to have birth control methods that are effective and minimally irritating. I thought I'd share my good news, especially since a lot of American women are afraid of IUDs.

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#392 of 458 Old 10-09-2012, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My friends had Mirena. They both liked it very much. There's no bleeding and cramping. It takes only 2 minutes to put it in place. The only bad thing about it is you can still have a bad attitude when it comes to your time of month. Right now, I have Paraguard. I will let you know in a month.

#393 of 458 Old 10-10-2012, 06:41 AM

I personally have had both.

Paragaurd made me bleed super heavy and have terrible periods, coming from a person who never had cramps or PMS in her life. Amidst other health issues I had PID like symptoms and had it removed shortly after it was put in.

More recently I had the Mirena inserted four months ago. I bled heavy pretty much everyday, my hair fell out, I gained weight and struggled with really bad moodiness. My milk supply tanked despite pumping like crazy, changing my diet , taking supplements etc etc. I ended up weaning at 5 months:( I had PID like symptoms about three weeks ago and had it removed. Within hours and days most of my symptoms went away. Still working to get the 30+ pounds I gained off, but much happier. Prior to this insertion I had been on the pill for 5+ years without any real issue and virtually no period.

I should add though that it appears I am sensitive to foreign objects in my body (I had those new dissolvable staples during my c-section and they have caused no end of problems for me!) so I am one of small number of women who wouldn't do well with internal implants. 

LeeLu likes this.
#394 of 458 Old 10-23-2012, 02:25 PM

I have had the Paragaurd and I have the mirena now.. Personally, i like the Mirena better! I have the paragaurd for 5 years and I was misserable, I had a period practically a whole month every month, when i stopped bleeding I'd get it back within a couple of days and it was a never ending cycle, I never got preg bc I rarely had sex, I never stopped bleeding long enough to have sex..lol..But now the Mirena, I love it... I have a period that lasts about 4 days and most months I dont have a period at all. I have a sex drive now and when i had the paragaurd I never wanted to be touched lol. I have had the Mirena now going on 2 years, no problems yet.. Best wishes to ya, hope this helps you

#395 of 458 Old 10-29-2012, 11:33 AM

i have also had both iuds.  The paraguard i had in place between my second and third child, so about 4 years.  i did bleed longer - about 5 days of regular bleeding, and about 5 days of spotting.  Cramps were noticeable, but i never had a heavy period or huge cramps before the iud.  All in all this iud worked well for me.

After my third was born i thought i would try the mirena because the thought of not having periods appealed to me!  i had it inserted at the end of january, and have been pretty much spotting the entire time.  i thought my cycles were starting to level out, had about a week with no spotting, and then my period started!!  it has almost been two weeks!!!!  So i have an appointment this friday and am going to ask to have it removed.  Dont' know what we will do for bc, but i would rather use condoms then be bleeding all the time.

-No apparent weight gain or hormonal imbalances on either, but after reading threads like this, you just never know how it will affect your body.  i was on depo when i was younger and didn't have periods, but did gain weight slowly.. as soon as i stopped getting the shots i lost weight..

Liz 27 - Happily married for 8 years! Mom to three awesome boys ages 7 and 6 and 1

#396 of 458 Old 10-30-2012, 08:58 PM

I am only getting back here in October to respond to your post.  there are several hormones to be checked, not just one.  also, your pituitary controls the thyroid.  you should go back and be thoroughly checked by an endocrinologist!  i have hashimoto's thyroidits and it is a tricky thing to get your tsh levels right.  the synthetic hormone works great and i feel so much better!  when you first get on it, they start lower.  they retest your blood and may need to adjust the levels throughout time.  the medication is very inexpensive.  here's a helpful link, http://www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/thyroid/thyroid-goiter

#397 of 458 Old 10-30-2012, 09:11 PM

i would say no hormones.  do the paragard or get a hysterectomy or tubes tied.  if you get a hysterectomy, they can leave your ovaries so that you do not need to do fake hormones until you are much older.

#398 of 458 Old 11-05-2012, 12:05 PM

To all of you ladies considering Mirena..... I heavily warn you to research this type of birth control. I have 3 children,after my last 2 daughters I wanted to have my tubes tied I'm now 30 and I have no desire to have anymore little ones but my ob said NO that it was too permanent so I went with the Mirena... here are my side effects as of the past 2.5 yrs....

My DH has complained to hitting it during sex... and there are times when I feel it hit my uterine wall... leads to bright red spotting

SIGNIFICANT hair loss!!!!!! I've lost 50 percent densenity of my hair and it looks like PP shedding on a hard core bender... usually I wouldn't have freaked out about this but everytime and I say EVERYTIME I wash my hair or brush it I'm loosing 10- 20 strands and its "texturizing its self" that's my stylist talking. I have seen her for the past 8 yrs so she knows my hair very well now and she refuses to put my layers in because you can see through my hair... very depressing since I've always had a thick head of hair. I have been fighting with my hair since its insertion with taking prenatals, fish oil vitamins, vitamin E, increasing my protein in my diet... all for naught and then I looked up side effects of Mirena and I am by far not the first.

Massive migranes especially as the Mirena ages.... I've had this thing for 2.5 yrs and now I'm getting massive migranes on average every 2-3 days.. and NO I do not have a history of migranes or high blood pressure

yes it is effective, I will not argue that with you... however because of the hormones in the Mirena this is what I'm dealing with and getting this damn thing out of my body. Oh did I mention on top of this its going to cost 106.00 to get this removed???? Grill your OB about all of the side effects with these because you might wind up getting baby free at the expense of your health...

PS I am intrested in hearing from anyone who has had the Mirena taken out because I've been reading on The Mirena Crash after you had this thing removed... seriously upset over this!!!

Lex

#399 of 458 Old 11-06-2012, 03:30 PM

I have had both the Mirena and the copper iud .... my first IUD was the Mirena it was 4 years ago, and it was 1 month after i had my oldest son, the DR suggested it for a wonderful birth control WORRY FREE as he put it, well i had bounced right back after having my son i basically lost all of my pregnancy weight during delivary i had never had issues with my periods they were to the T every 28 days for 5 days nothing heavier then a super tampon couldnt handle, i didnt really have cramps and all of that. after i got the Mirena i bled for 45 days lightly but non stop, in 3 months i put on 15 lbds  and started developing depression and severe mood swings i wasnt able to think rational, my dr said it was post partum but i told him i had been fine after my baby was born and i was totally happy with him, i had lost a bunch of hair and began to get migraines so bad i would wake up from them in my sleep .. i eventually starting reading the post online and i saw that a million other people had the same issues, so right away i made an appointment to have that thing removed after 6 months of drama and my dr said that it was me that the mirena wouldnt cause those issues, i actually had to switch DRs offices,i got it removed  i would say i had a rough adjustment for a good month but then after i felt 100% again, i started loosin weight and feeling more positive without it and after wasting money on therapy we realized it wasnt post partum depression,

i swore off birth control for 2 years and i got pregnant with my 2nd child, about 4 months after he was born i thought i would try the copper IUD considering it has no hormones and me and hormones dont mix, well everything went totally great it was not painful to have inserted i felt nothing more then a slight pinch i think maybe it depends on the DR.  i had some light bleeding but nothing really, and some cramping but nothing  to die over  took some tyleol, because i Ibeprofen makes u bleed more if you are bleeding.  i loved it i didnt feel a difference at all, i had slight cramps during my cycle the downside was that my periods began to be horribly heavy so bad i would need to wear a tampon and a pad but an overnite pad for the first 3 days then it would taper off,, usually would end after 7 days. but i pushed thru it because i loved the freedom of not getting pregnant and not dealing with hormones, nothing happend to me other then the heavy bleeding for a few days, eventually i had to take it out because i couldnt tolerate the gushes of blood, it was to much, it was like i was having a miscarriage. i took it out 7 months after i got it in. i have triend numeros other BC but nothing works for me, im thinking of just putting it back in and dealing with the heavy periods because i know right now i dont want to have another baby at all.

i would deffinatly recommend the Copper IUD over Mirena any day.

#400 of 458 Old 11-13-2012, 01:38 PM

I have had the Paragard for about 4 weeks now and my period should begin on the 16th but I started spotting on the 11th and now I am bleeding but still not my actual period if that makes sense. I plan on sticking this out for a few months in the hopes that I will adjust but if I am going to full on bleed for 2 weeks a month it's not worth it. So frustrated with it so far. :/
#401 of 458 Old 11-23-2012, 09:50 PM

I came onto this blog because I'm doing research myself.  I got the Mirena a couple months after I had my baby and I had the worst experience ever!  I bled, NO LIE, for almost the entire 5 months that I had it. The longest that I went without bleeding at one time was 2 weeks.  I didn't even know when my period was, it was that bad.  It was a serious strain on my sex life and emotionally, I was a wreck.  Also, I agree with the lady that said that she could feel it.  The few times that we could have sex, I could feel it.  

I want to try the paraguard, but am now second-guessing after reading the experiences that you ladies are speaking about.

#402 of 458 Old 11-26-2012, 03:17 AM

I know this is a bit late... but I have had both the Mirena and the Paraguard.With the Mirena I bled (not exaggerating) 3YEARS! The ob/gyn started me out with up to 3 months that the bleeding/cramping should stop. Then she changed the story to 3-6m, then 6-9m, 9-12, 12-15m, etc. You get the point!! Finally after 3 years I was kinda rude but they would not remove it. And where I live, the place that inserts it has to be the one that removes it!! Finally I told them I would not leave until they removed it and they did. (HORRIBLE experience, never used that place again.)
The Paraguard I have had no problems with. It just barely pinched a Iittle. (With the Mirena it hurt like hell) I had it inserted shortly after I had my child, 10-16 weeks later, had retained afterbirth, I have had this for 4 years. My periods are very regular, and lighter and less crampy. I have found that I don't tolerate hormones at all. Birthcontrol pills, Depo Prevera, Lunelle (not sure how it is spelled, but doesn't matter cause it was recalled and I don't know if they put it back on the market) and a couple other methods that also included hormones, all the same result, I bled constantly. Not super heavy but had to wear a pad otherwise would go thru clothing, and cramping. Now in all fairness with the Mirena I was 21 years old and had NOT had a child. So I think that was part of the problem, my "new" ob.gyn said that they try not to insert in women that haven't had children because it tends to hurt more and it is just not recommended.
#403 of 458 Old 11-26-2012, 03:34 AM

I think maybe she was posting to rissadear, and i agree with with you both Mirena was HELL. Constant bleeding and cramping, I was always in agony and miserable. But with Paraguard it has been a wonderful experience!!!!
#404 of 458 Old 11-26-2012, 12:34 PM

Personally, I am uncomfortable with the idea of any type of IUD, be it the hormonal version with Mirena or the copper Paraguard. I haven't done as much research on Paraguard, but I know that for Mirena, the manufacturer (Bayer) doesn't even really know exactly how it works. IUDs can also become an issue if they migrate and go through the wall of the uterus, in which case it no longer helps prevent pregnancy. On top of that, these types of birth control cost a ton of money. Why pay hundreds of dollars to take the risk when there are safer and cheaper options out there?  

http://www.publichealthwatchdog.com/doctors-conflicted-about-the-safety-of-iuds-new-study-suggests/

#405 of 458 Old 11-27-2012, 03:40 PM

HM. I got mine in 2008. I didn't have any children prior to the IUD. I got a paraguard IUD. My girlfriend had one before me and she explained that the periods were CRAZY painful but in a different way. Instead of having cramps that last for hours and hours on end, all that pain is SMUSHED into 15 seconds of horror. But! I think our bodies release endorphins when the pain gets the high so it actually goes away quicker. That is just me and my friend's experince. No vagina-cold like experiences. I have always had heavy bleeding so I couldn't tell the difference. But after I got of progesterone, I lost weight and I was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY less crazy.  Hormones make me fat, emotional, and irrational. Progesterone is the hormone that is released when you are pregnant so basically while on birth control,we all walk around with our bodies thinking we are pregnant and we have to eat for the baby. Not a good way to live your life.

#406 of 458 Old 11-28-2012, 07:17 AM

OMGosh, my hair has been falling out like crazy for a really long time. I've had the Paragaurd IUD for 4 years and am just fed up with the hairloss and me not being able to figure it out. I finally just thought hmmm, maybe it's the IUD and googled it to find THIS.

I'm getting this thing removed, I'm done!!! I am at my wits end and want my hair to come back.

#407 of 458 Old 12-05-2012, 08:54 PM

I had the paragard in for about four in a half yrs, I had no problems with it, except it would hurt when i would have sex, but my partner was on the big side, I got used to it, I loved the paragard, My periods were normal and after it was removed I was pregnant soon after by my surprise, I was changing my birthcontrol and went to go get the other one in and by my surprise I was pregnant after it being out three short weeks. After I had my son I decided on the mirena, I just wanted to try it out because I heard to can quit getting your periods with it, Now im second guessing it because thats really not healthy, I havent had a period in three months and i just had it inserted and six months ago, My husband also states he can feel it and never complained about the paragard, I also read there was a recall on the mirena and I dont want to have complications getting pregnant again when we decide we are ready, Im going next month to get it removed and go back to the paragard because I had no problems with it, even though im not having problems with the mirena better safe then sorry. I wouldnt risk it, others have also stated they have had the mirena and they had no problems and got pregnant but everyone is different.

#408 of 458 Old 12-06-2012, 03:08 PM

Paraguard user question... does anyone stay away from their ovulation time just in case or am I being too cautious? ilove my paraguard but I still don't trust it...
#409 of 458 Old 12-06-2012, 04:06 PM

How did the mirena work out for you? I have a one month old and don't plan on having another child for about 5 years and am trying to decide which IUD is best. I have read a lot of terrible reviews about both.

Thanks

Meagan

#410 of 458 Old 12-07-2012, 10:39 AM

I chose paraguard because there are no hormones what so ever and besides unusually long, cranky periods, when I engage in sexual activity my body reacts, with a low hormone birth control pill I was not interested in sexual activities and it annoyed me. But now I'm ready and even when I'm not I can easily be ready. I think I made the beat choice for ME!
#411 of 458 Old 12-07-2012, 01:33 PM

I've had my paragard for about, 2 going on 3 months now. When I FINALLY stopped bleeding after the first month or so it was okay. I had a lot of shooting pain, in which feels like my ovaries. Especially when I exercise (I'm a dance coach), it's like a pulling shooting pain...thing. And the bleeding is ridiculous heavy, when I first had it put in I was changing pads every 30 minutes or so (which is sooo unlike my cycle) for the first week then bleeding normally for the next 2-3 weeks. My periods are heavy, very heavy, & the pain is HORRIFIC. I'm contemplating getting it taken out. When there's no pain it's very much worth it, I love it! But when there is pain...hate it. 

#412 of 458 Old 01-13-2013, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Paragard for a year and 4(?) months now. no problems, no pregnancy. just updating.

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#413 of 458 Old 02-06-2013, 11:10 AM

parguard or mirena? go!

#414 of 458 Old 02-06-2013, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm never doing hormonal BC again, so that's a no on the Mirena for me. 

I've had the Paragard for nearly six months now.  I got it because we tried to use LAM to TTA after DS was born and ended up with a surprise DD.  My kids don't let me sleep enough to use FAM, which is my preferred method (and the method that I used prior to TTC #1).  So until my sleep is regular enough to use FAM again, I have Paragard.

So far it's really awesome.  Insertion wasn't bad, just a few cramps right when my midwife placed it, then just fine.  I'm now in my 3rd PPAF, and my cycles seem to have stabilized back to 30-ish days, and I appear to be ovulation as normal.  AF is just as it was before - about 5 days with 2 really heavy days and then tapering off.  The cramps are not any worse than I had before.  Neither I nor DH can feel it during sex.  I'm happy with it.

All that being said, I'm not a big fan of having a foreign object in my body and am planning to have it removed once my sleep patterns are stable enough to chart again.

Wife to DH hat.gif (8/1/09), Mom to DS jog.gif (4/28/11) and DD energy.gif(6/16/12).

#415 of 458 Old 03-14-2013, 01:13 PM

What?!?! n ive been strugling n almost crying to get the iud but npw im now im not getting to many complaints about it ill just stay whit condoms greensad.gif
#416 of 458 Old 03-19-2013, 02:06 PM

Ok, so I was on BC for years since I was in my teens.  That worked out fine.  They had hormones, etc.  After I had my son in my late 20's, I got on the Depo shot.  LOVED it!  However, I stayed on it too long.  5 years.  So I started getting symptoms; bad back acne (like welts and boils), losing my hair.  Pain in hips and knees.  Anyway, I got off that and onto Mirena!  OMG LOVE.  I bled for the first 3 months like I was told I would.  AFter that, NOTHING.  No bloating, no pms, no cramps, no bleeding.  So after the 5 years were up, I was told they ran out of the Mirena but they'd put me on Paragard.  I was a bit iffy since it doesn't have hormones and that is what my body has been used to for years.  Since the day ONE of insertion, I had nothing but problems.  Bleeding so bad I thought I was miscarrying.  Not even lying!  Cramps were so severe I was begging for major pain killers (and I'm not a pill popper!!!)  The bloating was crazy with adding 6 lbs during my cycle.  I would have PMS and cramps a week before my period.  I'd be on my period for about 5 days when I'd start to have PMS and cramps (severe) AGAIN for another few days, as if I was starting my period all over again.  The fatigue during this time was horrible.  I don't eat much, never really have.  Always weighed about 110 - 115 (5'5") yet gained a whopping 35 lbs.  I went to my doctor after about 6 months and asked to take it out.  She didn't want to and made me troubleshoot my symptoms trying one pill concoction after antoher.  OH and BTW, I had 4 infections in 9 months!  They did blood work on me and checked my hormones, my thyroid.  Lucky me, everything came back normal!!!  

It was 2 years in February when I went back to my doc (oh, for about the 8th time in 1.5 years) begging for pain killers or a bullet to the head.  Finally, that day, we yanked that sucker out.  She put me on chewable BC pills with hormones.  Happy days are here again.  Can I just tell you that I felt immediate relief.  Had my first period since and no problems.  Normal 3 day period, no bloating, no cramping, no major pms.  Hopefully, my weight will go down again!  

I may stay on the BC pills but I may go back to Mirena for the convenience.  Hope this information is helpful.

#417 of 458 Old 03-27-2013, 06:59 PM

I had the mirena for five years I did experience the depression, the cramping, the headaches and hair loss toward the end of the five years.I got it out a year ago and I am still experiencing the hair loss. It is really bad. I was hinking about getting the paraguard now but is very undecided. Being a junior in college I really don't want anymore kids right now so any suggestions will help. Many of the pills made me very sick the shot made me bleed none stop for 11 months straight. So I would appreciate any suggestions anyone may have. Thank you. 

#418 of 458 Old 04-02-2013, 11:23 AM

I recently got the Paragard, and when I was researching I could not find very many success stories or good reviews.  So here is my experience:

(I am 24 years old and I have not had kids.  I have been on Yasmin birth control since I was 16) I chose Paragard over Mirena because I am used to more estrogen than progestin, I did not want to mess with those horomones.

I had Paragard inserted 5 days ago.  The insertion was indeed painful, but it only lasts maybe 2 minutes max.  It was a really bad cramp, but nothing unbearable.

After insertion, I had pretty severe cramps for about 4 hours.  But nothing advil, a heating pad and a nap cannot fix. I started bleeding about 6 hours after insertion, but it only lasted about 4 hours. 

Since the insertion 5 days ago I have had very minimal spotting to almost none, no cramps, no side effects.

Overall, it is 100% worth it :)

I know everyone's experience is different, but I wanted to share my success story.

#419 of 458 Old 04-03-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabethwilson View Post

I recently got the Paragard, and when I was researching I could not find very many success stories or good reviews.  So here is my experience:

(I am 24 years old and I have not had kids.  I have been on Yasmin birth control since I was 16) I chose Paragard over Mirena because I am used to more estrogen than progestin, I did not want to mess with those horomones.

I had Paragard inserted 5 days ago.  The insertion was indeed painful, but it only lasts maybe 2 minutes max.  It was a really bad cramp, but nothing unbearable.

After insertion, I had pretty severe cramps for about 4 hours.  But nothing advil, a heating pad and a nap cannot fix. I started bleeding about 6 hours after insertion, but it only lasted about 4 hours. 

Since the insertion 5 days ago I have had very minimal spotting to almost none, no cramps, no side effects.

Overall, it is 100% worth it :)

I know everyone's experience is different, but I wanted to share my success story.

I think there are no "success stories" on it because if it works, you pretty much forget it's there and it's wonderful. It's the people who hate them that are vocal about it. I love mine and tried it even after reading the horror stories thinking it's worth a shot and it totally was! I have no idea it's there, it has no hormones, no side effects, and was 90% covered by my insurance so I had to pay $10 for all those years of birth control!

#420 of 458 Old 04-04-2013, 12:05 PM

That's what the forum is for, being vocal. When i posted mine, is just for informational purposes, especially since i had both the murina and paragard and sharing my experience. I'm happy for those who love one or the other. I loved my murina. But my experience, more than half my life started with the pill, then the Depo, then the murina. All have hormones. So when i ended up with paragard, i think my body could not handlet its own natural effects without the added hormones i was used to for so many years. Lesson learned. I've been off paragard and on a pill with hormones for almost 2 mths and omg, it was an immediate difference. Its simply my experience and possibly, if someone had been on any sort of bc with hormones, id suggest going with murina. For first time users probably paragard. Everyone is different. If it doesn't work, take it out and try something else. :-)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page