Paraguard reviews - Mirena vs. Paragard IUD - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 458 Old 04-18-2013, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got the mirena on my doctors visit after I had my my son in 2008 during insertion the cramping was mild but went away a couple of hours after my period decreased over the next three months then stopped completely I haven't had any complications in the 5 years I've had it besides crazy hormones its good for seven years but I'm getting it tooken out tomorrow because in ready to have another child and I want the paragard after I give birth just to see how it does with my body even though the mirena has done me well I'm ready to get rid of the crazy hormones smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#422 of 458 Old 07-14-2013, 02:01 PM

Hello All!

I would first like to thank everyone who has contributed their experiences to this thread, it has been SO helpful.

I am 21 years old, have never had a child, and have struggled with several types of BC in the past.  I've determined that my body does not do well with the extra hormones (hate the mood swings, lack of sex drive, and since I'm a professional ballet dancer, the extra weight gain and swollen, tender breasts are a HUGE problem!).  I was on Ocella (generic of Yaz) for a few years with a few extra pounds I couldn't seem to shake, and have recently stopped taking Lo Loestrin Fe after 2 months (my boobs grew 2 cup sizes and hurt like HECK, I cry for no reason, and my sex drive is completely gone).  I'm too paranoid for condoms alone and my period isn't regular enough to track my cycle.

I was thinking of getting an IUD, and after reading most of this thread (still haven't made it all the way through yet, but planning to!), I have completely ruled out the Mirena.  No more hormones for me!  So now I'm left with Paragard.  It seems like it may be the best option, but with the heavy periods and the fact that I dance in pink tights for a living, it might not be a very good fit. Also, the risk of infertility and/or unplanned pregnancy with Paragard in place terrifies me, since my boyfriend and I want to have children at some point, but NOT right now! I don't want to kill my chances of having children someday :(  HELP! 

That got a bit wordy, but does any one have any advice as to what they think I should do?  I have an appt with my OBGYN Thursday (7/18) to talk about Paragard, but I'm afraid she will try to convince me to get the Mirena or try a different pill, when I know that I am DONE with those awful hormones! I just want some suggestions from real women who have actual used these things!!!  Thank you for any advice you might have!!!

#423 of 458 Old 07-16-2013, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Not everyone has heavy bleeding with Paragard.  I don't.  I have had my Paragard for 11 months, and basically love it. 

I am totally with you on the no-hormone thing.

Have you looked into FAM?  It takes some diligence and paying attention, but it can be a really good option for people who don't want hormones and don't like the idea of a "device."  I used FAM to avoid pregnancy for about 9 months prior to trying to get pregnant with my son.  Check out tcoyf.com.

I got the Paragard because my cycles and sleep were inconsistent after my pregnancies.  Now that my sleep has stabilized, I realize that I really like the sponteneity that Paragard allows.  Plus we have a strong dislike for condoms.  And I've proven that I don't have side effects with Paragard.  So I'm going to keep on with Paragard and not go back to FAM for right now.

Wife to DH hat.gif (8/1/09), Mom to DS jog.gif (4/28/11) and DD energy.gif(6/16/12).

#424 of 458 Old 07-18-2013, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
The risk of pregnancy with a para guard in place is similar to if your partner had a vasectomy. No method is 100 percent except abstinence. Sometimes I wonder what side effects people experience are more about being OFF their previous method-- like, I blamed acne, chin hairs, oily skin on the Mirena-- but really, the issue was that the birth control pills I had been on we're previously PREVENTING those things. Yes, Mirena has hormones, but if you want light bleeding I would still consider it-- most women still ovulate while using it, and it is used for pregnancy prevention in women who are getting hormonal treatments to donate eggs, so MOST people don't notice ANY systemic effects from the hormones, just lighter or no periods. With the paraguard, your periods will mostly be like how they would be in your n"natural state" which may be pretty sucky. Heavier than that for the first few months. But, if you are sure you don't want hormones, want to be as sure as you could be about not getting pregnant, and are monogamous, then go for a paraguard and if your OB tries to talk you out of it go see someone else!! I've had both and liked them both. And I can't make any guarantees as to your future fertility-- but the risks are SMALL of anything like that. NOTHING is"100 percent" except abstinenc, and good luck being "100 percent" abstinent!
#425 of 458 Old 08-14-2013, 04:56 PM

I had the mirena put in right after having my baby it was fine for the first 1 1/2 years then I started having terrible pains and just feeling really bad so I went to my doctor and she said her patients have had lots of problems with it. So I got the paragaurd and haven't had a moments trouble. My dr told me her professional opinion wa that the company that made mirena had made it to big was the cause of lots of the problems . But now the company has made a smaller version of it. And for the amount of hormones it puts out can have very bad effects on your body. It can make u very sick. Another fact for y'all having your period gets rid of the excess amount of iron in your body which makes your body healthier and not age as fast.
#426 of 458 Old 08-16-2013, 10:33 AM

Most women will experience super light or no period on the Mirena...my first period just passed and its pretty much already stopped. Spotting for two days and thats all. Most women will also experience much heavier periods while on Paragard.

Insertion hurts like a Cuss.gifB*GJFGHDO!!!! though. It doesnt hurt for everyone...but I was crying and throwing up in pain for hours afterwards. I usually have a really high pain tolerance as well. Think constipation cramps *sorry if TMI* times ten. I would just catch my breath and start throwing up again. Took more ibuprofen and slept on and off the rest for the day.

Not going to lie besides the insertion I love it. I do feel really tired these days though...but it could just be my work sucking the life out of me! Haha

hug2.gif    goodvibes.gifstillheart.gif  

#427 of 458 Old 08-16-2013, 10:35 PM

Looking into the paraguard, and from what I've read, it seems that a lot of the negative side effects of the copper IUD are because of copper toxicity or copper and zinc levels out of balance. anyone have any input on this!? Is there a way to test copper levels and supplement zinc to help counteract these symptoms?
#428 of 458 Old 08-17-2013, 02:21 PM

Hi girls.

I wanted to share my experience as a migraine sufferer with Mirena. I am 22 years old and had it in for a little over 4 months. I've never had a baby so I was expecting insertion to be painful and that it was. I would recommend blocking your schedule for a few days after. I was crampy, bloated and in pain quite frequently for the first few months, but that all settled down after that. I did, however, have at least one migraine a month and I used to only have a few/ year. I've been on many birth controls and aside for certain foods, this birth control gave me the most frequent migraines of my life. So please do NOT get Mirena if you are a MIGRAINE sufferer. It's not worth it. 

Besides the migraines, this method was great. I would highly recommend it if you do not get migraines. You have to stick it out for the first few months (bloating, cramping, mild acne) but it all gets better. I am back to square one and feeling a little hopeless about birth control. I may consider trying the Paragard next, but I'm a little shaken up for now. I also did extensive research before getting Mirena and had decided against Paragard because of how many women claim to have horribly long periods and the occasional hair loss. I feel like I have run out of options. Migraines suck :(

#429 of 458 Old 08-24-2013, 10:54 AM

Gator girl- I also had migraines that started when I got mirena-- BUT it was because the birth control pills (and nuva ring) i was on before were preventing them. I had the mirena x 7 yrs, the nothing for a while, then a paragard, and the migraines continued. Basically, any method that does not stop ovulation will let me have migraines. So not the Mirena's fault.
#430 of 458 Old 09-08-2013, 09:27 AM

Hi everyone!!I was just reading some of the comments and decided to tell my experience with Paragard. I am not a mother yet but I do have paragard and it's been quite hectic with my period.I used to have only two short days of heavy bleeding in total four day of my regular period.But since paragard I have had very heavy bleeding and it last for 10 to 12 days..!!if that helps anyone to make a decicion to which birth control works better please think carefully. On the other had, I know that every system and body works differently ..but with Paragard you definitely will have to deal will the never ending periods!!Good Luck and I  think I will try Mirena and see!! If any one could give me an advise about Mirena that will be great!Thanks in advance!!

:)

#431 of 458 Old 09-22-2013, 06:42 AM

I have had the Mirena for 18 months. Getting it out next week and going to try the Paragard.

Was on the pill before and thought an IUD would be easier.  I have had too many side effects,would rather

go back to the pill. My headaches have increased and my breasts hurt all the time and I've gained weight

that I can't lose.  I don't recommend the Mirena for anyone who has not had children or have headaches,

migraines. I hope the Paragard, without the hormones, will be better.  

#432 of 458 Old 10-02-2013, 02:18 PM

After reading all of these how many are reporting longer, heavier periods, that sounds wonderful to me compared to what I've been through. I've been on my second implanon for a year. The first one did give me trouble, and I got a second one because I was still under 18 and my mom just wanted me to be protected. I hate bleeding constantly an heavy bleeding at that every day. I've been taking mini pills a long with my implanon. I just want to not worry. My normal period was 5 days of heavy bleeding. I'd be okay with a little longer. At least no one reports of heavy bleeding everyday from IUD because it's just the worst to go through no ends of bleeding. So hopefully when I try IUD, it works out for me.
#433 of 458 Old 10-02-2013, 08:23 PM

I have had the Mirena for 5+ years and am ready to have it removed/replaced. I should mention I'm done having children. I really had no negative side effects. I have to say I have Loved the fact that my periods got lighter and lighter until pretty much none at all. Until recently when I started to bleed randomly every other week or so. I went in to ask my doc about it and she said it could very well be that because it's been 5+ years the hormone it releases is getting "low." Essentially it is losing it's effectiveness, which is why I'm experiencing mini periods again. I also noticed lately that my libido is through the roof, in comparison to normal. It occurred to me, the fact that this coincided with the periods coming back, makes me wonder if the Mirena actually lessened my libido and I didn't realize it until it came back! Which I'm enjoying. Now I'm on the fence about whether to just have it removed and use a different birth control, or have it replaced and possibly lose my libido. I'm bummed having to make this decision!
#434 of 458 Old 10-04-2013, 06:05 PM

Birth control pills will probably lessen libido because it blocks ovulation. Lots of research shows the mirena is effective for 7 years, that's how long I had mine
#435 of 458 Old 10-06-2013, 08:31 PM

Ratchet,
I understand that research shows the mirena is effective for 7 years, but when I start to bleed again and my doctor tells me that it could be the hormone being released is lessening, I think it is wise to heed her advice and replace it. Or should I just leave it in the 7 years because that's how long it's worked for you?
We need to listen to our bodies.
#436 of 458 Old 10-10-2013, 08:16 AM

Sorry
#437 of 458 Old 10-10-2013, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Updating- 2 happy years with paragard. No side effects, not pregnant. Yay!

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#438 of 458 Old 10-14-2013, 08:36 AM

I'm hoping someone here has advice. I just got the Mirena last Wednesday. On Saturday I came down with a migraine which has not completely cleared up yet. I have never been in this much pain before and the nausea was really bad. I threw up a few times. I called the doctor and felt like my concerns were dismissed and whoever I talked to said my headaches were not related to the Mirena. I'm also bleeding on and off even though my period is supposed to be done.
How long did you bleed/spot for after insertion? Thanks!

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
#439 of 458 Old 10-16-2013, 08:03 AM

Spotting can be for a while- at least a week for a lot of people. What were you on for birth control before the mirena? If it was pills or depo or something else hormonal, it probably prevented the migraines (often there's a hormonal trigger that pills etc block). I first found out I had migraines when I stopped pills (after taking them since age 15), which coincides with when I started mirena, but for me I'm certain the mirena wasn't the cause. Migraines continue now without mirena, and when I had paragard too.

OBs don't always know a lot about migraines (except how they relate to pills etc) so it might be better to talk to a primary care person about it (if you haven't yet)
#440 of 458 Old 10-19-2013, 05:07 PM

It's been a little over a week and I thought the spotting was done, but it came back this morning.

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
#441 of 458 Old 10-20-2013, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Oh gosh, spotting after mirena can last for up to 6 months. But by a year, many women don't have periods at all.

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#442 of 458 Old 10-20-2013, 12:06 PM

I have the mirena have had it for seven months. It's ok I don't feel quite like myself not sure if its due to the iud or just being tired because I'm a full time sahm ,I feel i get irritated so easy never did before. I cant say ive gained any weight. I do get a lot of back pain which i believe is one of the side affects get very light periods in a yr I will see how I feel and if I'm still feeling the same out it will come. Hopefully then I will feel like myself
#443 of 458 Old 11-02-2013, 06:02 PM

Hi,

I am interested to find out if you got Paragard and how you like it? I also was on Lo Loestrin Fe but just recently got off because of mood swings and feeling anxious. Thanks!

#444 of 458 Old 11-02-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeks211 View Post

Hello All!

I would first like to thank everyone who has contributed their experiences to this thread, it has been SO helpful.

I am 21 years old, have never had a child, and have struggled with several types of BC in the past.  I've determined that my body does not do well with the extra hormones (hate the mood swings, lack of sex drive, and since I'm a professional ballet dancer, the extra weight gain and swollen, tender breasts are a HUGE problem!).  I was on Ocella (generic of Yaz) for a few years with a few extra pounds I couldn't seem to shake, and have recently stopped taking Lo Loestrin Fe after 2 months (my boobs grew 2 cup sizes and hurt like HECK, I cry for no reason, and my sex drive is completely gone).  I'm too paranoid for condoms alone and my period isn't regular enough to track my cycle.

I was thinking of getting an IUD, and after reading most of this thread (still haven't made it all the way through yet, but planning to!), I have completely ruled out the Mirena.  No more hormones for me!  So now I'm left with Paragard.  It seems like it may be the best option, but with the heavy periods and the fact that I dance in pink tights for a living, it might not be a very good fit. Also, the risk of infertility and/or unplanned pregnancy with Paragard in place terrifies me, since my boyfriend and I want to have children at some point, but NOT right now! I don't want to kill my chances of having children someday :(  HELP! 

That got a bit wordy, but does any one have any advice as to what they think I should do?  I have an appt with my OBGYN Thursday (7/18) to talk about Paragard, but I'm afraid she will try to convince me to get the Mirena or try a different pill, when I know that I am DONE with those awful hormones! I just want some suggestions from real women who have actual used these things!!!  Thank you for any advice you might have!!!

Hi, I am interested if you decided to get Paragard? I just got off of Lo Loestrin Fe because of side effects like moodiness and feeling anxious. Thanks!

#445 of 458 Old 11-04-2013, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I've had my mirena in now for about 6-7 months and i'm considering having it removed. I was losing weight when I had it inserted and building muscle, but since it's insertion i've gained 5-6 pounds which I can't lose, but worse of all it's ALL fat, no muscle, which is ridiculous considering I do olympic weightlifting as a sport. I had it put it because I was having quite a lot of PMT prior... but i'm seriously thinking it's time to give it the flick. I've also had to be on the mini pill to stop break through bleeding as well... so don't think it's for me.

#446 of 458 Old 12-09-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie128 View Post

I have a Paragard (non-homonal IUD), which I used to be quite happy with. However, I have been bleeding off and on for going on two weeks now, no cramping. My new doc put me on the mini pill to stop the bleeding, but it might take the full four weeks to stop. Has anyone used both types of IUD? Would taking out the Paragard and putting in the Mirena help? Did you like one better than the other? Thanks
I have used both. I had a mirena for about a year but had it taken out bc of constant pelvic pain and infection. Decided to try paraguard and I've had it for two weeks and have not stopped bleeding. I spotted for months on mirena but this is not spotting this is a full period, heavy bleeding cramps and all. I don't know if I should wait it out or get it taken out. Any advice?
#447 of 458 Old 12-29-2013, 10:57 PM

I have had the paraguard for 6 yrs & loved it. Love the no hormones, love that I know to the day when my cycle will start & I am used to the heavy periods that typically only last for 4 days. Until this month. I have had a cycle for most of the month. Not sure why after all these years why this is happening to me now. Has this happen to anyone else?
#448 of 458 Old 01-08-2014, 09:16 PM

I have had the paraguard for about 6 months. I got it at about 5wks pp. I HATE IT! I've had nothing but trouble. It was painful to have inserted. I immediately had a VERY heavy period and have continued to have extremely heavy periods and spotting constantly. I've also been on meds for pH issues 4 times since I got it. My bf can feel it and complains about it. I have not been right since I got it and I'm seriously considering having it removed at my annual in a couple of weeks. Not sure what to try next. On top of that, insurance didn't cover most of it so I'm still paying for it. Chose the paraguard over Mirena because of the hormones because I was BFing but this has been a nightmare! greensad.gif
#449 of 458 Old 01-14-2014, 01:51 AM

I had mirena for 5yrs and my experience was good until the day I had it removed and replaced with paragard. I wasn't really for another child so I got an new IUD. Ever since then, I have so many problem with my stomach. I don't know if the problem derived from the removal of the mirena because the day I had the procedure done, I was in so much pain. Or the problems derived from the paragard. I have derived ulcer in my stomach in these two year period. I'm having longer period circle, more than five days. I have decided to get the paragard removed no more birth control for me. I did the shot before and it was giving me heart burns.
#450 of 458 Old 01-20-2014, 08:47 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm replying to this topic just to get some more info out there about switching from Mirena to Paragard.  When I swapped mine out, I couldn't find much information about it.  

In short, it's been way easier than I thought it would be.  I expected a few months of cramps, irregular bleeding, horrendous periods, etc, and got absolutely none of that.  

The switch itself was practically painless; "sounding" my uterus was more painful than either the removal or insertion.  No bleeding, no cramping, and I was totally fine within minutes of the procedure.  

Tried sex the next night, and it was uncomfortable whenever he came in contact with my cervix.  A few days later sex was completely fine/comfortable.

First period came on the full moon instead of the new moon.  It was a very normal period, just like it used to be in the days before I went on hormonal bc:  average PMS with one big ol' cramp, followed by a five-day period.  It was pretty darn light compared to all the horror stories, just minipads most days, two days of regular tampons every 12 hours or so. 

Two weeks later, when ovulating, I had the most incredible libido.  Seriously, I couldn't fall asleep one night because I was thinking about sex so much.  I think I wore my man out that week ;-)

Second period came exactly 28 days after the first one, full moon again.  Same as before, slightly heavier flow on day 3, but no cramps when PMSing.  

I was going to wait three cycles before posting, but I'm excited to let everyone know that switching from the Mirena to the Paragard has been a breeze for me!  I switched over because of dietary concerns--I think the hormones were aggravating my IBS.  So far I haven't noticed any changes in my digestion, but at least hormones aren't part of my "what's wrong with me" equation anymore.  And I'm baby-proof for ten years--awesome. 

Good luck!

User Tag List