Paraguard reviews - Mirena vs. Paragard IUD - Page 16 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#451 of 458 Old 02-06-2014, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I loved my Paragard for the year I had it. My periods were heavier and cramps were worse but it was completely manageable. Unfortunately I had an ectopic pregnancy with the IUD that ruptured and I had to have surgery. Thankfully I got to keep my tube and ovary. This is a rare complication but I think everyone should be aware that it can happen. Pretty upsetting, because I really did like the IUD, but I will never feel comfortable relying on it again.

Me (25) & DH (28) - Married 10/20/12, Together since 2008

Waiting impatiently to TTC #1

namaste.gifhomeschool.gifnocirc.gif hippie.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#452 of 458 Old 04-22-2014, 11:40 AM

Tarablesue...Wow this is years old off the topic of the mirena but the same thing you experienced with the mirena as far as the psychotic behavior I experienced that with the implanon.  You have helped me to decide on just getting the paranard.

#453 of 458 Old 04-22-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarablesue View Post

I had the Mirena for 7 months and it made me psychcotic. I had thoughts of hurting m,y kids and that they'd be better off if I weren't their mama. It was awful. I had never had any depression before either.

I have the Paragard , well have had it for 3 months, and my period cramps are AWFUL. I hate it but I really don't think I have another option for BC. I can't have failure. I just can't. I have been told the cramping gets better, so I guess I am holding out until it does. If it doesn't then I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

I personlly wouldn't opt for Mirena, I have never beenin that place before and after being that low I don't want to go back. Had i not did research, even my OB thought I was crazy that it was the Mirena, I might be dead or even worse, in jail for hurting one of my kids. IT was really THAT bad, for me.

Tarablesue...Wow this is years old off the topic of the mirena but the same thing you experienced with the mirena as far as the psychotic behavior I experienced that with the implanon.  You have helped me to decide on just getting the paragard.

#454 of 458 Old 04-22-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpiner84 View Post

Hi everyone,

I'm replying to this topic just to get some more info out there about switching from Mirena to Paragard.  When I swapped mine out, I couldn't find much information about it.  

In short, it's been way easier than I thought it would be.  I expected a few months of cramps, irregular bleeding, horrendous periods, etc, and got absolutely none of that.  

The switch itself was practically painless; "sounding" my uterus was more painful than either the removal or insertion.  No bleeding, no cramping, and I was totally fine within minutes of the procedure.  

Tried sex the next night, and it was uncomfortable whenever he came in contact with my cervix.  A few days later sex was completely fine/comfortable.

First period came on the full moon instead of the new moon.  It was a very normal period, just like it used to be in the days before I went on hormonal bc:  average PMS with one big ol' cramp, followed by a five-day period.  It was pretty darn light compared to all the horror stories, just minipads most days, two days of regular tampons every 12 hours or so. 

Two weeks later, when ovulating, I had the most incredible libido.  Seriously, I couldn't fall asleep one night because I was thinking about sex so much.  I think I wore my man out that week ;-)

Second period came exactly 28 days after the first one, full moon again.  Same as before, slightly heavier flow on day 3, but no cramps when PMSing.  

I was going to wait three cycles before posting, but I'm excited to let everyone know that switching from the Mirena to the Paragard has been a breeze for me!  I switched over because of dietary concerns--I think the hormones were aggravating my IBS.  So far I haven't noticed any changes in my digestion, but at least hormones aren't part of my "what's wrong with me" equation anymore.  And I'm baby-proof for ten years--awesome. 

Good luck!

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THIS POST!!! YOU JUST HELPED MAKE MY DECISION CONCRETE!!!!!

#455 of 458 Old 04-24-2014, 05:30 PM

Hi everyone, I have had the mirena before and have the para guard now. I love the para guard I have had it over a year now! I do have a little heavier bleeding and cramping during my cycle but not longer. Me personal would never get the mirena again I had it for like 4 months and hated it. I had hair loss, acne, leg pains, pains in my pelvic, And I felt like I was always hungry. I would not recommend to anyone. I have a few friends that tried it to and did not like it either.
#456 of 458 Old 05-21-2014, 01:24 PM

I have had both Paraguard and Mirena, I liked Mirena due to not having my monthy after the first year but had to replace it when my son was 5 Yrs old, the clinic paid for the Paraguard. I'm not sure if the Paraguard is the cause for my yeast infection that I always have.

#457 of 458 Old 06-01-2014, 12:47 PM

I also use extra caution around my ovulation time. My boyfriend and I use the pull-out method around ovulation time (5 days before ovulation, three days after) even with Paragard. Just incase!
#458 of 458 Old 06-25-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie128 View Post
<p>I have a Paragard (non-homonal IUD), which I used to be quite happy with. However, I have been bleeding off and on for going on two weeks now, no cramping. My new doc put me on the mini pill to stop the bleeding, but it might take the full four weeks to stop. Has anyone used both types of IUD? Would taking out the Paragard and putting in the Mirena help? Did you like one better than the other? Thanks</p>
I had paragard removed after 11 months because I was bleeding for 20 days at a time. It was more of an annoyance than an issue, according to my doctor who checked it twice before I finally had it removed. After it was removed I only had 10 days, but most of that was pre and post CM and not actual period. It was fine other than the annoyance of going through a box of supplies every month!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page