Paraguard reviews - Mirena vs. Paragard IUD - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 458 Old 11-06-2006, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got the Paraguard when DD was about 1 yr., and just had it removed 3 yrs. later to start TTC. The ONLY problem I ever had with the Paraguard was that the midwife who inserted it cut the strings too short. So, sometimes during sex, or midcycle I would get some spotting because the strings were irritating my cervix a little.

I never had heavier periods with it tho. Still kept on my wonderful 28-day, 3 day-period cycle.

It was wonderful to just not have to give bc a second thought!! When we're finished growing our family, I will either get another PG, or send DH in for a snip (better idea I think )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 458 Old 11-06-2006, 09:53 PM

I had the Paragard IUD inserted about six months ago, after having been on the pill for about 5 years. As someone above mentioned, don't let the doctor fool you, it can hurt quite a lot when they put it in. I also haven't had kids, so that probably made it more painful.

My overall opinion of it is mixed. I like that it's non-hormonal, and you don't have to do anything on a daily basis, and when I don't have my period, it's great. However, when I do have my period, I'm not so fond of it. Before the paragard I would bleed for about 4 days, and it was pretty light. Now, I bleed in total for about 7-8 days, and 2-3 of those are VERY heavy, with really bad cramps. I've also read that it can contribute to excess copper build up in your body, so be sure to take extra zinc and vitamin C if you have one.

I've thought about trading it for the Mirena IUD, but I really don't want to do hormones again because they give me a lot of side effects. I think I'm going to try the Paragard for a full year, and then make a desision.
#33 of 458 Old 11-10-2006, 03:45 PM

I have the Paraguard and I'm in a category its not really recommended for, as I have not had children. But like so many women I have terrible reactions to all hormonal methods of birth control. Im very happy so far, and have no problems. But if you have not had children - go in prepared for a very intense experience of insertion - and just think about 10 years of glorious modification and worry free BC.
#34 of 458 Old 03-05-2008, 10:19 PM

Bumping b/c I would like to see more experiences.

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter
#35 of 458 Old 03-06-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarablesue View Post
I had the Mirena for 7 months and it made me psychcotic. I had thoughts of hurting m,y kids and that they'd be better off if I weren't their mama. It was awful. I had never had any depression before either.

I have the Paragard , well have had it for 3 months, and my period cramps are AWFUL. I hate it but I really don't think I have another option for BC. I can't have failure. I just can't. I have been told the cramping gets better, so I guess I am holding out until it does. If it doesn't then I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

I personlly wouldn't opt for Mirena, I have never beenin that place before and after being that low I don't want to go back. Had i not did research, even my OB thought I was crazy that it was the Mirena, I might be dead or even worse, in jail for hurting one of my kids. IT was really THAT bad, for me.
I now want to add to this thread that since this last post I got pregnant with my paragard in place, my placenta grew around it and i had a healthy baby boy who is now 7 months old. I wouldn't opt for either IUD,personally,again.
#36 of 458 Old 03-06-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarablesue View Post
I now want to add to this thread that since this last post I got pregnant with my paragard in place, my placenta grew around it and i had a healthy baby boy who is now 7 months old. I wouldn't opt for either IUD,personally,again.
I had wondered about that! wow that's crazy that that happened to you I'm so glad your ds is okay!

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#37 of 458 Old 04-16-2008, 02:19 AM

My daughter is almost 6 months old (born 10/21/07) and still breastfeeding (want to bf at least a year). I really don't want to have another child real soon, but I do want to have more in the future. My boyfriend asked if I thought about birth control becuase I have latex allergies and non-latex condoms are expensive (about $8 for 3). I went to my doctor and talked to her about bc. She gave me a choice between Mirena and Paragard. She said she would use Mirena for herself. I have been researching both types and I'm so confused I'm about to cancel my appointment for insertion (appointment scheduled for this Thursday 4/17). From what I've read on this forum, Mirena seems to be the preferred form of bc of the two. I read on one site that you could still get pg with IUD: higher chance of eptopic pg, fertilized egg not attaching to uterus, miscarriage. Does anyone know anything about this? Also, does anyone know about getting pg after IUD is removed? Like how long it could take. One site I read also mentioned that IUD could affect fertility (I would like to have 3 more children -not at once- don't want to become sterile). Any advice/suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
#38 of 458 Old 04-16-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMommy View Post
My daughter is almost 6 months old (born 10/21/07) and still breastfeeding (want to bf at least a year). I really don't want to have another child real soon, but I do want to have more in the future. My boyfriend asked if I thought about birth control becuase I have latex allergies and non-latex condoms are expensive (about $8 for 3). I went to my doctor and talked to her about bc. She gave me a choice between Mirena and Paragard. She said she would use Mirena for herself. I have been researching both types and I'm so confused I'm about to cancel my appointment for insertion (appointment scheduled for this Thursday 4/17). From what I've read on this forum, Mirena seems to be the preferred form of bc of the two. I read on one site that you could still get pg with IUD: higher chance of eptopic pg, fertilized egg not attaching to uterus, miscarriage. Does anyone know anything about this? Also, does anyone know about getting pg after IUD is removed? Like how long it could take. One site I read also mentioned that IUD could affect fertility (I would like to have 3 more children -not at once- don't want to become sterile). Any advice/suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
read the post from me in quotations...my iud baby is 8 1/2 months old.....
#39 of 458 Old 04-16-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Mirena is very safe and has been the preferred method of BC in Europe for years. While the things you spoke of *could* happen (there is a chance of anything) I believe the percentage is something like .01%. That is really, REALLY small. It is a tad higher with the paraguard. As far as getting pregnant after removal, you should return to your cycles right away and could get pregnant within a month or two.

I've had mine for about 4 months now with no problems at all. I don't even know its there. The biggest issue was that for the first month the string was a left a bit longer, and my partner would sometimes feel it poking him. Now that the string is shorter and has softened up a bit, everything is fine.
#40 of 458 Old 05-09-2008, 11:45 AM

I've had my Mirena for a year and will be getting it removed as soon as the doctor can squeeze me in for an appointment. .01% is actually higher for the adverse hormonal effects on some women. Unfortunately, depression and violent rage doesnt happen all at once. It builds up slowly, the longer you have the Mirena in. For me, it started with skipping my periods, at first I just skipped a month then would get a period for about 10 days which is normal. It felt like normal PMS, but the longer I went without a period the worse the adverse symptom became. This week, I got my period after not having a period for 2 1/2 months. I felt out of control, the smallest things would set me off, I lifted a TV and knocked it to the floor in a rage, and then I cried for 2 hours. I thought, I was going crazy, baby blues maybe, Ive had that before and I had the Mirena inserted after I had my daughter.

It shocked me when I called the doctors office and the first thing they said was, we need to take the Mirena out, we will mark it as Urgent and see if we can get you and emergency appointment. The OB nurse said, that this was a common side effect for some women and to not take it lightly. Hormonal effects are rage followed by depression usually right before and during your period for some poor ladies its everyday.

She recommended that I get the Paragaurd IUD, she said that since I havent had any other problems but the hormonal side effect it would be my best option. So that's what Im going to get.
#41 of 458 Old 05-09-2008, 01:23 PM

Ok, I'm scared...!

I just got the ParaGuard... my baby's only 3 mos so no af yet (and hopefully not for anytime soon!!!). I really didn't want hormones PLUS I often get ovarian cysts so my mw didn't recommend Mirena.

I heard ParaGuard can make my periods more painful and I already get EXTREMELY painful periods every so many months (i mean before i got pg pf course) w/ cramps that feel like early labor. They basically debilitated me for a day... but then I never took any meds until it was too late.

So I'm curious to see how they're gonna be now...

I just hope this iud works right. It's scary b/c it's just *there* kwim? The last thing i want is to get pg so I NEED this to work! Pills failed me last time so I'm a bit untrusting of any bc but I won't go abstinent.

BUT here's my critical question:

**How do you check the iud?**

This may be a "duh" question but i tried to check for it and i don't know if i could feel it. I don't think my mw properly explained how to do it...
#42 of 458 Old 05-09-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlasta216 View Post
Ok, I'm scared...!

I just got the ParaGuard... my baby's only 3 mos so no af yet (and hopefully not for anytime soon!!!). I really didn't want hormones PLUS I often get ovarian cysts so my mw didn't recommend Mirena.

I heard ParaGuard can make my periods more painful and I already get EXTREMELY painful periods every so many months (i mean before i got pg pf course) w/ cramps that feel like early labor. They basically debilitated me for a day... but then I never took any meds until it was too late.

So I'm curious to see how they're gonna be now...

I just hope this iud works right. It's scary b/c it's just *there* kwim? The last thing i want is to get pg so I NEED this to work! Pills failed me last time so I'm a bit untrusting of any bc but I won't go abstinent.

BUT here's my critical question:

**How do you check the iud?**

This may be a "duh" question but i tried to check for it and i don't know if i could feel it. I don't think my mw properly explained how to do it...
I think it's usually easiest to feel the string when I'm sitting on the toilet, when I've tried it standing up or lying down I've had a hard time checking, but sitting down seems to be the best angle to feel for the string (it feels just like fishing line).
#43 of 458 Old 05-14-2008, 10:08 AM

I have had both IUDs... let me share my experiences.

I had the Mirena inserted after my son was born, 3 years ago. It was soooo highly-touted by my medwife. As expected, I had no periods. I was breastfeeding, so it wasn't a surprise. I had a few instances of spotting, about a year later, and it seemed to be cyclical, so I thought maybe my periods were coming back. My son was still nursing, but... I got my period back at 6 months after my daughter. Anyway, I started feeling very tired and nauseous all the time. Started thinking I was pregnant. Wasted sooo much money on HPTs!! But I really felt pregnant. I googled it, and found out it was possible. My milk was suddenly drying up, too. I became obsessed (literally... I was not mentally-stable) with the idea that I was pregnant, but somehow not making HcG. I finally had the Mirena removed.

I started to feel a bit better... still didn't have any cycles... but my son was still nursing a lot, despite being almost-2 at the time.

Fast forward... my cycles returned, dh returned from war (early... got wounded... so I didn't have time to go in for another IUD) and I got pregnant. Our daughter was stillborn, 2 weeks before dh was going to go in for his vasectomy. We were going to be done for good. I want to leave the door open... (he still feels done) so I got the Paraguard. I did NOT want to mess around with the crazy am-I-pregnant crap I'd done before. I got the Paraguard in February, and my periods have been MUCH worse. But at least I had periods.
Now my period is 3 days late, HPTs say "not pregnant", and I'm having tons of cramps. But no bleeding.

IUDs suck.

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
#44 of 458 Old 05-14-2008, 11:08 AM

Well i thought i would put in my two cents...LOL...I got the paraguard and LOVE it! I got it put in and was sore for two days and since then no problems Normally I have HEAVY periods and cramping, more than after I have my children. Now with the paraguard in my periods are actually lighter and shorter and i cycle right on time For *me* the paraguard works WONDERFULLY! To check it i just have my dh check for it after i'm done w/my period...there is NO WAY i could check for that on my own...LOL
#45 of 458 Old 05-14-2008, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't know if this helps, but I had the Mirena for 2 1/2 years before getting it removed due to hormonal imbalance and during that time I found it easiest to check it's location by squatting and touching the strings with a finger (or spouse can do it!)
Good luck!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#46 of 458 Old 05-14-2008, 09:32 PM

June Goddess, I'm so sorry about your baby.
Have you considered storing sperm and him getting a vas? It's also a good method to cover "a few" years while you guys get really sure.

My Paragard has made my periods heavier and more irregular. I still think it's a great choice for me. I'm willing to suffer the cramps in order to have a method that feels reliable, easily reversible, and hormone-free.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#47 of 458 Old 05-14-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apricot View Post
June Goddess, I'm so sorry about your baby.
Have you considered storing sperm and him getting a vas? It's also a good method to cover "a few" years while you guys get really sure.
I hadn't even thought of that, which is odd, because I wanted to do it before he deployed, but we just didn't have enough time. I think it costs about $1000, minimum, too. I doubt I could talk him into spending that.

We think our daughter died from a blood clot. I've had one test that said I have antiphospholipid antibodies, but apparently a follow-up test is needed to "prove" it. I haven't had that follow-up test yet.

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
#48 of 458 Old 07-10-2008, 06:58 PM

I was wondering if anybody has had the same issue I'm having. I had paraguard put in about 9 weeks after I had my son, he was born in December, and just last week I checked to see if it was in place and I can't feel the strings. They were fine 2 weeks ago. Other than this, I love paraguard. My periods are heavier, but they only last 4 days on average.
#49 of 458 Old 07-11-2008, 06:39 PM

I have the Nova-T IUD (*copper) and it is only for 3 years as with the paragard it is 10 years I believe. I enjoy it so far but AF hasn't returned since I had it done 8 weeks postpartum. I had cramping for a few days and some bleeding but it seems to be okay right now.

Anyone have this form of IUD? I think most european countries as well as Canada use it.

Any insights on the Nova T IUD?

ummy
#50 of 458 Old 08-03-2008, 09:42 AM

throwing in my 2 cents - i have the paragard (inserted at 7 wks pp) and haven't had major issues with it. i found insertion to be only mildly uncomfortable, maybe because so soon pp my uterus was still kind of relaxed? i spotted only a little for a few days. since then, no spotting between cycles. my period is heavier than it used to be, but doesn't last any longer and actually it feels shorter because there are only about 3 heavy days (when i use a diva cup) and then the rest is light enough to just use pantiliners. (used to be more slightly less heavy days = more cup or pad days). i like that.

i am considering the mirena after our next child (hoping to ttc fairly soon - how quickly has anyone here gotten pg after removal?) because i have had worsening pms since ds was born (i don't think *caused by* the paragard, but i was hoping the mirena would even things out and i'd feel better). the couple of stories here about psychotic pms scare me, though. maybe i'll get the paragard again and take the minipill for hormone regulation. obviously, i need to get a knowledgeable doctor to discuss this stuff with.

i love that i don't have to think about bc on a regular basis. i agree with pp, though, that i don't love knowing there's a little plastic and copper thing hanging out in my uterus. and i worry about possible pg complications, though i think statistically that's unreasonable.

Wife to the man I never expected, DS born at home '07, '08, baby girl born at home Oct '09!
#51 of 458 Old 08-03-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I read on one site that you could still get pg with IUD: higher chance of eptopic pg, fertilized egg not attaching to uterus, miscarriage. Does anyone know anything about this?
I've seen those articles too. They cite statements from the AMA (albeit from the seventies) and various other sources, like the following:
""Subclinical pregnancy has been reported do occur in 12 to 44% of cycles in women wearing intrauterine devices," reported a study by Dr. Markku Seppala of the University General Hospital Helsinki."
The only sources saying otherwise I found (planned parenthood, for instance) were very vague, claiming doctors "don't really know" how IUDs work and not providing sources. It looks fishy to me.
Someone else mentioned an .01 chance here - I'd like to see a reference on that. Right now I have no idea what I'll use for birth control once this baby is born, and I've avoided IUDs for the above reasons.
#52 of 458 Old 08-03-2008, 02:02 PM

My last two experiences with hormonal birth control have not gone well so I opted for the Paraguard. I took the patch for a year before we first started TTC and it was horrid. I took the mini-pill after dd1 was born and I got pregnant on it.

I got mine put in 7 weeks postpartum. I took a few ibuprofens before insertion and it hurt. The Nurse Practictioner said I could handle it because I had a homebirth. I let that slide.

I cramped for a week and spotted for a month after. I've also had continuous CM. I mentioned this to the NP when I went back for a follow-up visit and she misunderstood me. She said I was probably ovulating and it was a good thing I wasn't relying on breastfeeding for birth control. I knew it wasn't ovulation though because it was like having constant EWCM. Its been like that ever since. I'm 9 months postpartum and its like I've been ovulating the whole time. Still no PPAF. I don't really cramp that much with it.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#53 of 458 Old 08-07-2008, 08:01 AM

#54 of 458 Old 08-10-2008, 10:19 PM

Hi I have had the Mirena for about 5 years now. At the beginning I had light spotting for the first couple months, not a big deal, and from then on I only get my very light period 4-5 times per year! I have LOVED it. yes I have noticed my face breaks out more than it ever did before, and I have also had weight fluctuation of about 5-10 lbs, thats really annoying because I work out 3-5 times a week and I eat very healthy foods. Anyways tomorrow I am suppose to switch the paragard because I am sick of having a low sex drive, weight gain, and acne. I just hope I am making the right desicion. I will keep you all updated. Wish me luck!
#55 of 458 Old 08-11-2008, 01:14 AM

I've had my mirena for about 7-8 months now. I haven't had a period in about 6 months, and haven't had any other noticable symptoms. i've gained about 5 pounds, but was underweight anyway so it's been fine. I love my mirena.

The only downside, and sorry this is TMI - I notice that if I have multiple orgasms with my partner I'll sometimes have very bad cramping afterwards. I think I may have a cyst which is a known side effect. I need to go get that checked out...
#56 of 458 Old 08-11-2008, 01:55 AM

I wanted to update on my copper IUD... I've had it for about 6 months now and... we're finally getting along. LOL! I'm using maca to regulate my cycles, and it seems to be working, so... can't really blame the chaos on the IUD. I have very few cramps, never need more than three CLOTH pads per day, and basically forget I even have an IUD. Which is great.

I recently had hair mineral analysis done (which has many detractors, I don't know if it's all that accurate for things other than heavy metals), and my practitioner thinks I have "hidden copper toxicity" from my IUD. I can see her point, based on symptoms, but... I really do not have any other options right now. It's either this copper IUD or my husband gets snipped. And I really want to talk him into one more pregnancy... in several months.

So, maybe my body is absorbing too much copper from the darn thing, maybe it's all a load of hooey, I don't know. But I wanted to encourage other women to give it a fair shake. I hated it at first, but was blaming it for things that it wasn't causing.

#57 of 458 Old 08-14-2008, 02:45 AM

hello all! I've had the paragard since 1995. I just had it removed this week--yes I know, it's been 13 years! Never had any problems, however the last 5 years my period would come every 20 days instead of 28 days. Normal periods, some months bad cramps--other months no cramps. I go back in the end of August for another paragard. When I left the dr.s office a couple of days ago, I left with alot of information on other forms of BC. I was seriously thinking about going the Essure route. I've decided against it because: you have to wait 3 months to make sure it "took", requires major surgery for removal, only 3 years of data available. I also thought of the Mirena--but then again that has a hormone, only good for 5 years, and actually has more side effects than the paragard. Since I've been on the ParaGard I know how my body reacts to it so I won't have any surprises there--also the day they put it in you can rely on it.

41 year old mother of 17 and 13 year old boys, married 21 years.
#58 of 458 Old 08-14-2008, 04:30 PM

Wow so long!! Congrats. I guess the Paragard really worked for you!!
So does the bleeding/cramps naturally subside after the 1st year and no copper toxitity in the body right? I have another form of copper Iud called Nova..it's only good for 3 years but I heard it is good so it is not so heavy on the body..
#59 of 458 Old 08-15-2008, 02:40 AM

Honestly it's been so long I really can't remember that first year. I've never had a problem with copper toxicity. I just like the fact that it last 10-12 years! Since I'm 41 that'll put me at 51 when the next one needs to come out. I figure this is the best route to take since menopause will be right around the corner and also if I develop a problem no surgery is required for removal unlike the Essure.
#60 of 458 Old 08-18-2008, 05:03 PM

I had the Mirena for a month and it killed my milk supply. the doc thought I was nuts because "it rarely ever happens" but within a few days of taking it out, my milk came back up and my baby was happy again. It also hurt and constantly made me bloated and uncomfy. I just think all moms should know that just because the hormones are a low dose, it CAN affect your milk supply. I felt terrible that I had done something to interfere with feeding my son and even worse that no one told me.

anne, mama to Isaak (6.13.05) Joe (2.24.07) and Eli (8.17.09) wifey to J since 2002 petparent to our retired racer "Under Rated" aka Jango.  help put an end to dog racing! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page