Paraguard reviews - Mirena vs. Paragard IUD - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 458 Old 09-21-2008, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had the Paragard inserted Aug 25, 2008 ever since I have not stopped spotting (pretty heavy spots) this comes as a shocker to me since I normally get my period twice a year or so. I am 19 and have not had a baby yet. It took me a while to find an OB/GYN to actually insert it. Insertion was relatively painful (even though I took about 1000mg of motrin prior to insertion). I had horrible cramps for a week. Cramps come and go.

I have used other BC options but I have gotten every side effect possible from the pills and am allergic to latex.

I would like to know if it is normal to have heavy non-stop spotting and horrible cramps (that motrin does not alleviate) that come and go?? :

I would really like some advice from you experienced ladies.

THANK YOU!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 458 Old 09-23-2008, 03:36 AM

Hmm, that does sound like a long time to be spotting. I'm not sure, but I think IUD's are recommended usually for women who've had prior childbirth.

I hope it goes away for you. Have you gone back to the OB? If not, I definitely would. That doesn't sound right.
#63 of 458 Old 09-23-2008, 03:52 AM

I plan on calling tomorrow. They never even told me to go in for a check up after insertion.
My personal doc refused to insert any type of IUD only because I haven't given birth and there is a chance of infection that may cause infertility. That chance is 1%!!

Update on the spotting:
I got my period today, I don't know how this is possible, but I got it. During the day I go through pads like you would wipes when cleaning your babes. The cramps were as bad as when the insertion, and 1200 mg of ibuprofein did absolutely nothing.
I want to give Paragard a fair chance. I have been doing more re-search consoling myself. Side effects seem to get better with time, if by 3 months I continue having bad side effects this copper baby is coming out!
#64 of 458 Old 09-25-2008, 03:08 PM

Good information on here, thanks for the thread! I need to get a non-hormonal form of birth control,and my doctor recommended Paragard. Looking forward to more experiences!
#65 of 458 Old 09-29-2008, 02:19 AM

Here's my experience on Mirena; I give a mixed review, mostly positive. I have never had a baby or been PG and had it placed about a year ago. My libido has been unaffected, and it ALWAYS declined in the past when I've tried hormonal BC. Insertion hurt but I've heard it hurts a lot less if you've given birth prior to having it placed. Neither I nor DH has had any discomfort with it or because of it.
I never lost my periods, but they are regulated on a 28 day cycle which never happens when I'm off BC. My periods are also much lighter and cramps more bearable. What I don't like is the length of the periods- even though sometimes it is more like heavy spotting. I can have some spotting/light bleeding for almost 2 weeks sometimes.
It's a tradeoff to me because off Mirena my periods are SO heavy and crampy that lighter, longer periods are not worse- just different.
I've also not gotten pregnant so I'd say I've had success. I'll be having the Mirena out in about 2 months to prepare for TTC next summer and I'd consider having another Mirena later but prefer to stay hormone-free and chart to conceive or avoid for the rest of my fertile years.

familybed1.gifslingboy.gifcd.gifwinner.jpgintactlact.gifdoula and mom to a 9/2/9 boy
#66 of 458 Old 10-22-2008, 03:32 AM

i just got the Paragard today. The placement was a little uncomfortable but I just kept remembering childbirth and that was nothing in comparison to chidlbirth pain. Hoping that my periods are not heavy and painful.
#67 of 458 Old 10-25-2008, 09:52 AM

I've had the Mirena since December. I haven't had a period or any spotting, but I have cramps nearly every day. Prior to the IUD I rarely had any cramping at all. Insertion was pretty bad for me, I wanted to stay in bed for days, and ibuprofin didn't help. Also, the thing floated up in my uterus, so the strings aren't reachable anymore for removal. I had an US and xrays to reassure my MW that it hadn't fallen out (I know a couple people that's happened to). So between the insertion cramping, day to day cramping, and floating, I will not get another IUD in the future.
#68 of 458 Old 11-06-2008, 10:35 PM

I was deciding which to get, and after reading all of these posts, I decided on the Paragard. I had it inserted in October, and it didn't hurt at all (I have had 2 children) to put in, but I did have painful cramps later on. Here is a suggestion: have it done as late in the day as possible. I just went to bed a little early, and I was completely fine the next morning. The bleeding even stopped the next day.

I have had some spotting (about an entire week prior to my period), and my period was heavier than usual, but nothing like some of the posts on this board. I think it lasted one day longer than usual, and it was heavier. I did not have any cramps, but my other PMS symptoms (e.g. headache, fatigue) were a little more exaggerated than they usually are.

Since I was expecting much worse, I am pleasantly surprised that it has gone so well this early. I never did well on any hormonal BC, and so far this has been great.
#69 of 458 Old 12-13-2008, 02:50 PM

For those who do have Paragard, did you get bleeding like a period in the days after insertion? My son is almost 4 mos (and on demand BF), and I got the IUD inserted Dec 11, '08. Heavy spotting, and some mucousy bleeding (pinky-red color) Th evening, and then period like bleeding Fri and today. No cramping, no pain, and it's not so heavy that I need more than a pantiliner. I'm trying to figure out if this is my first pp period or if it's just from the insertion.

Laura wife to Dan , BFing Babywearing RadicalUSing SAHM to my free range kid Craig (12/20/93) and eventual free range kid Danny (8/26/08)
#70 of 458 Old 12-13-2008, 03:06 PM

My cycles had returned when I got my Paraguard inserted. I don't remember for sure (it was almost a year ago), but I think I had quite a bit of spotting. I think if yours is continuing this long, it's likely a period. I guess you'll know if you get it again next month!!

My first few periods with it were really, really bad, but that could have been from wonky hormones. I was a mess... can't necessarily blame that on the IUD.

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
#71 of 458 Old 12-13-2008, 03:49 PM

I was researching the affects of extra copper in the system (for instance, from the paraguard which I was thinking of getting) and found this page. Apparently the extra copper from the IUD could be dangerous for some women, although the affects might be subtle or not noticed at first. For me, I feel like I should skip it.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#72 of 458 Old 12-16-2008, 07:48 PM

I had the Mirena IUD and I hated it! I had it for 3 months and had bleeding and spotting like every other week. I became very moody with my husband and daughter. I had to have it removed. I wanted to try the Paraguard, but reading everyone's response to the bleeding has me thing otherwise. I would not recommend the Mirena. My OB even told that she had to remove the Mirena from two other patients due to the same problem, major mood swings.
#73 of 458 Old 12-16-2008, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
I was researching the affects of extra copper in the system (for instance, from the paraguard which I was thinking of getting) and found this page. Apparently the extra copper from the IUD could be dangerous for some women, although the affects might be subtle or not noticed at first. For me, I feel like I should skip it.
Have you read any studies on how much copper is released over the 5 years of having the IUD and what levels are considered toxic? I didn't find that article too convincing. They don't really get into specifics. I would be interested in finding out more though since I am considering the Nova T IUD myself.
#74 of 458 Old 12-18-2008, 03:36 PM

I had the Mirena inserted in March of this year. At first, I loved it - seemed like the perfect solution! However, and the months rolled on I started noticing my hair coming out a lot more than it normally did - my hair is pretty thin now. I also noticed acne, lots of it! I'm thinking about having it removed and having Paragaurd replace it. Hope it goes well - anyone experience hair loss with Paraguard?
#75 of 458 Old 12-18-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanidFL View Post
Have you read any studies on how much copper is released over the 5 years of having the IUD and what levels are considered toxic? I didn't find that article too convincing. They don't really get into specifics. I would be interested in finding out more though since I am considering the Nova T IUD myself.
I haven't done any further research since then, but it fits in with things I had read about mineral toxicity in the past. Because I already have a sluggish detox system, and because I am already dealing with or at a higher risk for some of the copper toxicity symptoms he mentioned, it was enough for me to pretty much rule out the Paraguard for me. However, if I had never had those kinds of issues, and never had any reason to suspect a sluggish detox system, then I would probably go ahead and get the Paraguard.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#76 of 458 Old 12-20-2008, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That makes total sense. I didn't have any of those symptoms after reading that website. I would not get it either if I were in your situation. I am still going to try and find a study that shows how much copper gets into your system over the 5 years.
#77 of 458 Old 12-21-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miz_macoo View Post
You guys are all so lucky!! Ever since I had mirena inserted I've had random crampy pains and my hair is sooooooooooooo greasy it needs to be washed EVERY day!! I used to only need to wash it every 3-4 days. It's also been falling out HEAPS! About triple the amount it used to. And I have very thin hair and not a lot of it so any hair loss is BAD!!

OMG!!! I thought I was crazy! I have had the Mirena in for 2yrs now and my hair has been sooo extremely greasy and has also been falling out in clumps. Just like you I used to not have to wash my hair for about 3 or 4 days and it was fine. My hair was never this thin before, I mean I didn't have a huge amount but way more than I have now. I couldn't figure out what was going on, and then the other day (duh, I should have done this before I had it put in) I started researching it and found so many blog sites where people were describing all of the same symptoms I was having! Anxiety, depression, weight gain, extremely sluggish, 90% of the time, hair loss, hair growth, ON MY FACE!!! WTH! Really bad cramping, increased craving for sweets. That was never me, I never even liked sweets! And now you saying about the greasy hair, it's crazy. So needless to say I have made my appointment to have this EVIL thing removed, and I can't wait! The only disappointing thing is that there are almost no none hormonal contreception methods out there that are as effective to switch to, which really sucks.

So I guess back to condoms it is because I do not want to feel like this ever again. I just want to be hormone free for a while and pray I start to feel like my old self again. Oh, and one more thing, not to tell so much of my business but I have to say this. Since I've have this in I've had infection on top of infection on top of infection. I would get get a yeast infection then right after that a bacterial infection and then so on and so forth every couple of months. It was to the point where I actually thought I might be allergic to my BF's penis! Stupid, I know, but I just couldn't explain it any other way. So anyways, that is my story and thank you for listening, I can not wait to have this removed!
#78 of 458 Old 12-21-2008, 01:36 PM

According the Mirena makers, the progesterone in it stays "local" to the uterus. So, it shouldn't be able to make any of those side effects.

Actual user experience seems to disagree very strongly!! I wish a bunch of us could get hormone testing done, to PROVE that the progesterone in it leaches out. When I still had my Mirena I was googling up all kinds of weird things, because I wanted to find some explanation for how crappy I was feeling.

I'll certainly never get one of those again... I was just too crazy while I had it. I felt EXACTLY like I was pregnant, month after month. But wasn't pregnant. And my milk almost dried up. I managed to breastfeed my son for over 3 years, but it was such a struggle the whole time. I never had enough. I blame the darn hormones in the Mirena.

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
#79 of 458 Old 12-21-2008, 01:48 PM

edit.

Wife + Me = Paige 11/08 and Hanna 1/11 h20homebirth.gif
#80 of 458 Old 12-21-2008, 02:26 PM

I had the copper IUD inserted and it made me extremely sick for an entire year.

Six months after insertion I began to suffer from heart palpitations, extreme fatigue, anxiety, panic attacks and hair loss. It was seriously debilitating. I had never been sick before in my life. I went to doctor after doctor trying to figure out what was wrong with me before I finally figured out that my IUD was making me sick.

I know now that the excess copper in my system was sickening me. I got it removed in June of this year and I am just now starting to feel like my old self. It took nearly six months to remove the excess copper from my system.

Inserting the Paraguard was one of the worst decisions I have ever made in my life.
Never again.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#81 of 458 Old 12-28-2008, 08:02 PM

i have had both and IUD and an IUC. i had the Paragaurd (IUD) about 7 years ago after the birth of my second child. I LOVED THIS PRODUCT! it was so much easier than taking a pill or messing with other means of not getting pregnant again. after a divorce, i removed the IUD at the advice of my doctor. i've since been remarried and had a third child. after her birth i decided to get and IUD again. unfortunately, my insurance limited me to the Mirena (IUC) unless i wanted to wait months for a referral. ya, no thanks! i'm sure a forth baby would have shown up sooner! ha ha. anyway. i now have an IUC and have had it for about 6 months now. i will say that it it just as easy not-taking the pill everyday, however, the hormones have done a number on my body. after having my baby, i quickly returned to my prepregnancy weight with no issues and kept the weight off for about 8 months before having the Mirena inserted. almost immediately, i gained about 12 pounds which i cant get back off. i work out 4 times a week at a gym and i eat great (mostly because i cant stand red meat) so not dropping the extra IUC pounds is wierd. also, im moody. . . i mean MOODY. i snap so easliy now and i have only ever been this moody during pregnancy when my hormones were going crazy. i dunno. i'm interested in get my IUD back (IF MY INSURANCE WILL LET ME) but if they won't, i'm not taking the IUC out because the 15 extra pounds is better than the 30 i would have from another pregnancy!
#82 of 458 Old 12-29-2008, 06:01 PM

I've had the mirena for about a year and a half and I really like it. I got it when ds was about 3mo and was able to nurse him for a year and a half no problem. I've NEVER gotten my period! I haven't had AF since before I got pregnant over 2 years ago! Some things I do not like about mirena are:

horrible acne...we're talking junior high all over again
weight loss...I'm super thin to begin with, so this is not at all good for me
very dry...lubrication is a must

I'm actually contemplating having mine removed, but it's a hard decision because I'm alergic to latex and get horrible yeast infections when I'm on any type of pill, so this is the only option that has worked for me...somewhat.
#83 of 458 Old 01-03-2009, 08:41 PM

I have not had any experience with the Paragard but I have had the Mirena.

I had my first mirena inserted in 2003 (I was in my early 20s) and am onto my second (got this in mid-2008). I have never had children and am not sure I could due to severe recurrent endometriosis which was discovered about 8 years ago. A mirena was recommended as a 'treatment' by my specialists to improve my symptoms (heavy bleeding, cramping etc, and hopefully to keep it 'at bay'). I was not on the pill or any other form birth control.

I had the first mirena inserted during my second laparotomy to remove the endo (so I was under general anaesthetic) and had scarier things to worry about LOL!

For the second mirena my doctor recommended I go under a general anaesthetic (for my comfort) to have it inserted which I did. I had a little spotting afterwards but since then I've been fine.

Some women complain about weight gain - well I had my first mirena experience was when I was recovering from major surgery and I expected to put weight on anyway as I couldn't move around very much (added about 10 pounds). It took about a year for me to start feeling good enough to exercise again and feel 'normal' and eventually I lost about half the weight I'd put on. My periods got lighter within about 4 to 6 months (they were very heavy previously) and eventually I got to the point where I had no bleeding for like 2 to 3 months! (Apparently this is not unusual, and it's nice not to have periods).

Other women mention mood swings after getting a mirena. Initially I'd say for the first 2 months after insertion I was quite touchy/sensitive and moody and overemotional - I def. did not feel my normal self. But that has passed now and I actually feel more stable than what I was before having the mirena.

Towards the end of my first mirena I found my periods getting somewhat heavier and cramping starting to return (about 4 months short of the 5 year anniversary) again.

Several months after having my second mirena I put on about 8 pounds. In the last 3 months I have increased my exercise from pilates once or twice a week to include cardio, walking and light weights and have managed to shift that weight and then some The only challenge now will be to keep it off.

The only thing I don't like is my hair feels much greasier than it ever was (I didn't have this problem on the first mirena so it seems odd to me) but it's only a minor annoyance compared to all the benefits.

As for my endometriosis, well, I just keep going for annual scans and keep getting the same "it's still there" or "it's growing" but they don't want to do more surgery if they can help it as it just reduces what fertility I may have (which means resectioning my ovary tissue where the endo is the worst), but at the same time doing nothing can also damage my fertility anyway as the endo grows and 'pushes out' my healthy tissue. Hmmm... oh well

Sorry to ramble on a little off topic, but if anyone has had similar reasons for getting the mirena please feel free to PM me as I would be interested to learn about others' experiences.

Thanks
#84 of 458 Old 01-13-2009, 06:11 PM

I've had Paragard for one day and i'm already thinking of having it removed...

I knew it caused heavier bleeding and cramps. Neither of those had bothered me after I heard about the side effects, until now... The cramping I have been having for almost a straight 24 hours had been pretty extreme if my pain killers wear off... its been to the point the cramps hurt so bad i'm in tears, and I generally have a high tolerance for pain. I am so shocked! I honestly didn't think i'd have this type of 'curl up in a ball and feel like i'm dying' pain. It's made me to the point I think something else is wrong with me.

Another thing was I had searched and searched and found nothing of other people having this extreme pain after insertion.

I had only gone the Paragard route because I was told to not have birth control with estrogen in it because of serious migraines I had gotten on the pill & patch and I know Mirena's hormone is different but I just wanted to be safe... but if I would have known it was this bad I would have passed on any of it!
#85 of 458 Old 01-13-2009, 07:08 PM

Hi Sweetness,
Definitely call your doctor right away. That pain sounds kinda extreme.

Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
I've had Paragard for one day and i'm already thinking of having it removed...

I knew it caused heavier bleeding and cramps. Neither of those had bothered me after I heard about the side effects, until now... The cramping I have been having for almost a straight 24 hours had been pretty extreme if my pain killers wear off... its been to the point the cramps hurt so bad i'm in tears, and I generally have a high tolerance for pain. I am so shocked! I honestly didn't think i'd have this type of 'curl up in a ball and feel like i'm dying' pain. It's made me to the point I think something else is wrong with me.

Another thing was I had searched and searched and found nothing of other people having this extreme pain after insertion.

I had only gone the Paragard route because I was told to not have birth control with estrogen in it because of serious migraines I had gotten on the pill & patch and I know Mirena's hormone is different but I just wanted to be safe... but if I would have known it was this bad I would have passed on any of it!

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#86 of 458 Old 01-20-2009, 12:21 PM

First I want to say thank you to all you ladies that have posted your experiences with both IUD's. I have been contiplating having my Mirena removed for a few months and swapped out for Paraguard.

I got Mirena in Feb. of 2006, shortly after my wedding. I had used hormonal BC pills for years and got really sick of the side effects (weight gain, fatigue, acne) so I asked my Gyno about and IUD. She recommended Mirena stating it had hardly any side effects, would not cause weight gain, plus it would reduce my period and cramps. I thought it sounded perfect for me.

Boy was I wrong! It was very painful to have inserted (although I do not have children so I guess that's expected, fine) I had really bad lower back cramps for the first 3-4 months but my period was pretty much gone by month 2. For the first year or so it was OK, then I started getting uncontrolable acne...so bad that I had to resort to Accutane. Then the mood swings started. I am like an absolute CRAZY person! I have had thoughts of ramming my car into other drivers, I absolutely SNAP for no reason. My husband thinks I'm insane right before AF comes to town. I to am having issued with hair falling out. I have waves nausea and constantly feel bloated. I am heavier then I have been in my life.

This thread has made it very easy for me to decide to have my Mirena removed and to have Paraguard placed. The possible heavy periods and cramps are worth my sanity. I do appreciate being able to find real people who have real experiences as opposed to what the Dr's think.

Thank you!
#87 of 458 Old 01-20-2009, 06:02 PM

I want to say also that it's nice to be able to hear real stories from women who have gone through this before. I recently decided to get the paragard and am very nervous. I guess my main concern is that it may come out or be misplaced and I wind up pregnant. My doc says it's pretty reliable and it's one of my only choices since I don't want to take anything with hormones. I read the one post from the woman who still wound up pregnant after having it inserted. I was wondering how common that is? Has anyone else experienced it? Should I be worried? Stories like that just make me want to stop having sex altogether!
#88 of 458 Old 01-22-2009, 04:50 PM

have had the paraguard for about 4 years and I'm going to have it remove next week but this week I started spotting I'm suppost to have my period in about two weeks so I don't know why this is happening does any one know why?
#89 of 458 Old 01-26-2009, 02:20 PM

i also have paraguard. i`ve had it for almost 2 years.
very painful to get in and the first couple of months my period cramps were alot worse. now they are back to normal but i bleed alot more. i mean alot! but in the middle, no problems at all.
i took pills for many mahy years and i would never put anymore hormones into my body.

the fact that i have a piece of copper inside me...creeeeeepy! but i prefer that to swollowing hormones everyday...this seems to creep me out a bit more!
#90 of 458 Old 01-29-2009, 12:38 AM

I'm kinda IUD curious. I don't want to do hormones. I wonder if taking zinc would help with the copper toxicity? Not an experiment I really want to try on myself, b/c I think I'm mercury toxic and why risk it? I know why would I even consider the paraguard if I'm worried about that, but I don't want any more babies. This thread has been very informative.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page