Paraguard reviews - Mirena vs. Paragard IUD - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 458 Old 09-17-2009, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a question... I go to my doctor next week to talk about my options about BC (Paragard vs Mirena). I have read about Paragard giving you havier crampier periods. But what if you re BFing and dont get a period anyway? I BF my last until he was almost 19 months old and didnt get my period back until he was 12 or 13 months old. I just had a baby 8 weeks ago and I'm assuming I wont get my period back until this one is a year as well. So will the paragard make me have a period? Or will I not have a period until I cut back on BFing? At that time, will my periods be hevier and crampier? Or do you think my ody will have been used to it by then?

Just wondering if anyone knows.

Love 12.22.2004 ** Marriage 2.24.2007 ** Baby Carriage 8.7.2007 ** Double Stroller 7.20.2009 ** Triple Trouble EDD 5.15.2011
#122 of 458 Old 09-21-2009, 11:03 AM

I have the Paraguard. My only complaint is that my periods are irregular sometimes 28 day cycles sometimes 35+. Then my periods lasts like 10 days. I don't have any cramps though. I will also get slight spotting between periods.

I got the Mirena after the birth of my second. I know they say the hormones are low but I swear they affected me. I was really depressed. Also, I had supply issues with my milk, but, I can't say for sure that it was the Mirena. I also hated the spotting in the beginning. I can't remember how long it took me to get a period.

With this IUD I got my period at about 6 months PP even with exclusive bf and cosleeping. I got the IUD the same month so I don't know if it was a coincidence.
#123 of 458 Old 09-28-2009, 07:25 PM

I've used the Nova T (copper, Canadian equivalent to Paraguard I believe) now for 11 years. I chose this method of BC after I became pregnant with my son on pills. All they did was throw my cycle off causing a late ovulation, on top of making my moods very out of whack.

I had my first IUD put in just after my son was born in 1998 and wore it for 5 years. Had it removed to TTC for a year with an ex, didn't happen (male infertility, nothing to do with the IUD), we split up. I had another put in about a year after that when I got into a new relationship. I've had this one for about five and a half years. A bit over it's due date but we knew we'd want to TTC soon so I just left it.

My cycles haven't changed, always 28 days, always a 4d AF, no increase in cramping, although I always have heavy cramps when the Endo is bad.

Feels like a BIG cramp going in, and I had heavy cramping for a day on insertion. EASY removal, one quick cramp and very light cramping for an hour or two. I'll use it again after our next baby for sure.

Madly in love with DH Brad. DS Christian 1/98
TTC #2 since Sept 2009, Stage IV Endometriosis
#124 of 458 Old 10-02-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensgirl1222 View Post
I have a question... I go to my doctor next week to talk about my options about BC (Paragard vs Mirena). I have read about Paragard giving you havier crampier periods. But what if you re BFing and dont get a period anyway? I BF my last until he was almost 19 months old and didnt get my period back until he was 12 or 13 months old. I just had a baby 8 weeks ago and I'm assuming I wont get my period back until this one is a year as well. So will the paragard make me have a period? Or will I not have a period until I cut back on BFing? At that time, will my periods be hevier and crampier? Or do you think my ody will have been used to it by then?

I have the same question -- anyone with specific advice or experience? I think I want to try a copper IUD after giving birth this time. I'm wondering if I should have it inserted at my 6 week postpartum checkup or wait until my periods return (for me usually around 8 months with exclusive bf).

My dr. says that I shouldn't have any bleeding after insertion and that the bleeding only happens when I would get my period anyway. Personally, it seems logical to me that if my body adjusts to it during bf infertility, I may have fewer problems when menstruation returns, but I can't find any medical commentary or research on this.

DD1 (Oct 99), DD2 (Sep 02), DD3 (Oct 09)
#125 of 458 Old 10-02-2009, 06:22 PM

My mirena was inserted while I was bfing... I think it was about my 6 week checkup or slightly later.. My OB recommended that time period, because she said that her clients that got it in then had "less side effects" from the installation. She didn't specify too much about that, but I got the sense at the time that she was talking about cramping rather than bleeding.. but I hadn't been bleeding for awhile by that point, so maybe?

Ah, yes, youngest son was born in Feb, got the mirena in April.. so slightly longer than 6 weeks.
#126 of 458 Old 10-02-2009, 11:11 PM

I had mine put in at 6w postpartum and never had any bleeding (other than spotting the day of insertion) until my first PPAF (10 months PP). They recommended I had it put in at my 6 week PP checkup and not when my periods returned. I'm glad I did, as things in that area were still pretty loose and insertion was no problem.

Lots of people get bleeding when, or just after, they get the IUD inserted because recommended insertion time is just before your period when your cervix is most open. It sometimes starts the bleeding/spotting early.

Madly in love with DH Brad. DS Christian 1/98
TTC #2 since Sept 2009, Stage IV Endometriosis
#127 of 458 Old 10-07-2009, 08:16 PM

I had Paragard inserted almost 6 weeks ago (my 6 week check up is Friday). I have had one child who is almost a year old. In the short amount of time since Paragard was inserted, I have had 2 extremely heavy periods. I am currently contemplating having this thing removed or even going to the hospital. I am bleeding through the super-plus tampons in less than an hour. Is this normal for anyone out there with any form of IUD? I'm starting to think I might pass out due to blood loss here!
#128 of 458 Old 10-08-2009, 04:34 PM

My daughter was born in Feb 2008. I had Mirena inserted maybe a month afterwards (not really sure, it was a very hectic time lol).

I just had it removed today (roughly 18 months later), and had Paragard inserted.

Pros of Mirena:
Never having to worry about birth control. No actual period.

Cons of Mirena:
Absolutely zero libido. I guess that's a "bonus" birth control huh? lol. In all seriousness, I really didn't care if I ever had an intimate relationship again, and I know that isn't normal.

My hair, which is typically pretty thick (one elastic wrapped twice around my ponytail) has fallen out to the point where I can wrap that same elastic four times and it still is fairly loose. I am leaving hair all over the house. I'll comb it and it will come out in clumps. Very awful. Also, my hair is so greasy that it looks like it needs to be washed as soon as it dries from a shower.

My skin looks like a minefield, and is extremely greasy. Nothing will clear it up.

I am exhausted all the time. I feel bloated all the time. My mood swings are unbelievable.

I have not actually gained any weight since I had it inserted, but I have been wanting to lose some weight, and I cannot get weight off no matter what I try.

Having the Paragard inserted hurt, but the initial pain is over in a couple of minutes, and the cramps will go away. I will happily trade a heavier period with Paragard versus the hormonal problems of the above symptoms.

Someone asked if those of us with Mirena problems had problems with the pill. I had these same symptoms with oral contraceptives. I don't know if it will be the case for all, but I guess I am just someone that is very sensitive to hormones.

I would not have Mirena inserted again if you paid me. I'm glad that it does work well for some of you though.
#129 of 458 Old 10-09-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensgirl1222 View Post

I dont know if anyone answered this or is still wondering...but I had a paraguard IUD put in at my 6 week PP check up with my second child. ( the second little sword fighter in my siggy. ) We were exclusively breastfeeding and cont that way for close to a year. I never had any periods or symptoms of periods the whole time, until I finally had an AF at 8 months PP. It was a normal period, and my GYN said that was probably because my body had gotten used to the IUD by then and I probably wouldnt see any side effects, like crampier or heavier periods. It was true too, I never had a problem. I got it removed last year, in preparation to TTC again.

I think the paragaurd is the way to go...

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

#130 of 458 Old 10-10-2009, 01:41 AM

Paragard is the devil! I am sorry, but I had four months of bleeding like an artery was cut, but that wasn't the bad part, the bad part is I had knife-like stabbing pains and dull throbbing uterine aches all the time. Now, four months after removal, I still have off and on cramping and I am really scared I damaged my uterus.
#131 of 458 Old 10-15-2009, 01:04 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizbeth.coulston View Post
I had Paragard inserted almost 6 weeks ago (my 6 week check up is Friday). I have had one child who is almost a year old. In the short amount of time since Paragard was inserted, I have had 2 extremely heavy periods. I am currently contemplating having this thing removed or even going to the hospital. I am bleeding through the super-plus tampons in less than an hour. Is this normal for anyone out there with any form of IUD? I'm starting to think I might pass out due to blood loss here!
If you are soaking through in less than an hour that is considered abnormal bleeding. You should see a doctor.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#132 of 458 Old 10-16-2009, 08:51 AM

Thanks to those who replied!! I ended up going with the Mirena. I didnt want to risk having a very heavy very crampy period. I'd rather not have one at all even though i still havent my ppAF yet anyway.

I had it inserted on Tuesday and I didnt even know he was done! It never hurt and I never had any cramping afterwards. I did have some bleeding/spotting that whole day but that was it.

Love 12.22.2004 ** Marriage 2.24.2007 ** Baby Carriage 8.7.2007 ** Double Stroller 7.20.2009 ** Triple Trouble EDD 5.15.2011
#133 of 458 Old 11-07-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee_03 View Post

As for my endometriosis, well, I just keep going for annual scans and keep getting the same "it's still there" or "it's growing" but they don't want to do more surgery if they can help it as it just reduces what fertility I may have (which means resectioning my ovary tissue where the endo is the worst), but at the same time doing nothing can also damage my fertility anyway as the endo grows and 'pushes out' my healthy tissue. Hmmm... oh well

Sorry to ramble on a little off topic, but if anyone has had similar reasons for getting the mirena please feel free to PM me as I would be interested to learn about others' experiences.

Thanks
You do realize you can't get scanned for endometriosis, right? The only way to detect it is through laparoscopy. If your doctor thinks they can see it on a scan, you need to find a new doctor.
#134 of 458 Old 11-12-2009, 04:43 AM

I am 20, 21 in a month, have never had children(and don't plan on it for 10years if ever), and have been on birth control for about 3 years. I have never had any problems with birth control.
I have decided that I want an IUD, because I don't want to be pumping myself full of hormones for the next 10years, pills are not cheap, and I have a sneaking suspicion that it's killing my sex drive(im 20, my bf of 3 1/2 years is gorgeous and generous, shouldn't i be wanting to do it like a rabbit), as well as the likely un-noticed side effects.
I talked to my doctor, who has refered(sp?) me to another doctor that specializes in IUD insertions. Who will get in contact with me within the next month.
I have to decide whether I want the Nova-T(canadian version of Paraguard) that he said lasts 3 years, or Mirena that lasts 5 years. He suggested Mirena, I suggested Nova-T so he said to do my research and decide.

I am leaning towards the Nova-T, just because of all the different bad things I have been reading online about the Mirena, and the lack of significantly bad things I have been reading about the Nova-T.
Since I have been on birth control for 3 years, I don't know what my regular, non-hormone induced period is like. It was light, with minimal cramping and very irregular, but I didn't start getting my period until I was 14(which was late compared to my friends).

I have never had any noticeable bad side effects from being on hormonal birth control, and from what I have read, the women that had troubles with Mirena also had troubles on the pill.
I have also read a lot of women being moody, getting acne, gaining weight, and losing their sex drive while on Mirena, but they didn't mention how they have reacted to other forms of birth control.

So... Has anyone that is reading this had trouble with Mirena, but NOT with other hormonal birth control?
Or can just relate to my background and give some valuable insight?

Thank you to anyone that replies to this! It is greatly appreciated!
#135 of 458 Old 11-12-2009, 09:32 AM

I think your logic is good, if your body is not very very sensitive and you can tolerate the pill, you should be ok with a hormonal IUD. The amount of hormones in the mirena is so low it is usually undetectable in blood from what my obgyn said. I am an example of someone who didn't have trouble with the pill and didn't have trouble with Mirena. I had it for almost 5 years.

Tina
Mom to two boys, 2002 and 2004 and a bouncing baby due in June, 2012!    autismribbon.gif               jumpers.gif

#136 of 458 Old 11-12-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringqueen8 View Post

I have also read a lot of women being moody, getting acne, gaining weight, and losing their sex drive while on Mirena, but they didn't mention how they have reacted to other forms of birth control.

So... Has anyone that is reading this had trouble with Mirena, but NOT with other hormonal birth control?
Or can just relate to my background and give some valuable info
I gained weight on the pill; the pill made my insides look like raw hamburger (according to my OB) I rarely ever in my life have had acne.. I had no side effects with Mirena. I had a miscarriage after its removal and I thought it messed up my cycles for a while, but it may be that I have just always been a late ovulator (I never had charted prior to that).

So I guess I am the opposite- issues with the pill none with mirena.
#137 of 458 Old 11-13-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringqueen8 View Post
I have a sneaking suspicion that it's killing my sex drive(im 20, my bf of 3 1/2 years is gorgeous and generous, shouldn't i be wanting to do it like a rabbit), as well as the likely un-noticed side effects.
Yep, that is a really, really common side effect to hormonal birth control. Me, I am physiologically incapable of having an orgasm on any kind of hormonal birth control, though my body works just fine when I'm not on hormones, thank you very much.
I've done a bit of internet research on it, and I've seen estimate that between 10 - 30 percent of women have similar issues with libido loss and hormonal birth control. If you have a problem with your libido on the pill, you're going to have the same problem on Mirena.
I just had a copper IUD (Paraguard) inserted, and I love it so far. Some women have really bad cramps and bleeding, some don't -- it seems like a tossup. You might also look at getting a diaphragm. Good luck finding brith control that works for you. I still think that if men were the ones who had to take it, there would be such better methods out there.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#138 of 458 Old 11-13-2009, 06:20 PM

First off, I want to thank everyone on here for their honest comments on IUDs. It really helped in my decision to get Paragard. I've had it for about 3 weeks now, and I just wanted to give my input.

I am 22 and have never had children. My doctor was a little reluctant to place the paragard in me due to that fact. She went ahead with it because I don not respond well to hormones...at all.

My doctor was really great with putting it in. It seriously did not hurt a bit. However, afterwards, I had the worst cramps of my life. Seriously, I was almost yelling at my boyfriend for vicoden. Tylenol, IB profen, nothing worked. Finally, I just went to sleep. I bled pretty heavily for three days, and then, voila, on the fourth day, everything was fine. No bleeding, no cramps, all was good.

I haven't gotten to my first period yet, which I'm a little nervous about. I've had one day of minor spotting, but it was really light, and only lasted a day.
#139 of 458 Old 11-14-2009, 08:05 PM

I've had terrible experiences with both Mirena and ParaGard. I had the Mirena between kids 1&2, and I bled like a stuck pig for about 2 months straight. I got it taken out 8 months later, and it took me nearly a year to conceive. Now I have the ParaGard, and it isn't much better. I soak through an ultra ob tampon in about an hour, and as soon as I take that tampon out I start gushing like the Red Sea. Ugggh. Sorry--TMI, but it's awful. I really hate it but it was free! And I can't just take something out that was *free*, kwim? OTOH, my partner says he wants to get a vasectomy...I think I am going to have this removed and go back to charting. When I am not on any HBC or BC my cycles are completely normal.

That said, several of my gfs have the ParaGard and *love* it, so it's what I recommend.

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#140 of 458 Old 11-16-2009, 03:51 PM

I have the Paraguard. I had it inserted about a year ago. It hurt a bit getting put in, but it was quick. I didn't get it inserted during my period, it was mid cycle, and it didn't make me spot much or cramp at all.

I used to have pretty light 4 day periods with cramps.

NOW, I'll spot for several days, bleed HEAVILY for 4-5 days, (super plus tampons AND a big fat pad) then spot for several more days. There is absolutely no cramping now, though. I know..... weird.

I have a love/hate with paraguard. Between periods, I love it. During the spotting and heavy flow days, it sucks. I keep hoping that my flow will return to normal. I've read the longer you have it, the more normal you get. Here's to hoping.

I do like it better than any other option I've tried. I actually have a sex drive. And I don't have to take a pill, or gain weight, and there are no crazy hormonal mood swings.

I'm not sure if we're going to have any more babies. And I'm not sure if I'll keep the paraguard long term. But right now I guess it's the best option for me. But then I'm not on my period right now. Ask me again when I am.

I'd love to do NFP, and chart. But my will power is not so good. If I know I am ovulating, I get the worst baby lust. I am not sure I could resist becoming pregnant left to my own devices.
#141 of 458 Old 11-16-2009, 04:12 PM

I have a paraguard and I've had it about a year. I got it put in 4 or 5 months PP. I did have spotting and slight cramping for a couple days after insertion. I just had my first PP AF a couple weeks ago. DS2 is now 18 months old.

It was pretty heavy bleeding for 2 days, normal bleeding for 2 days and then spotting for a couple more days. I can't say that it was any worse than the first PP AF I had after my first child when I wasn't using any type of birth control. I also didn't have any cramping.

So far I am happy with the Paraguard. It has been the best choice for me at this point in my life.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#142 of 458 Old 11-20-2009, 06:02 PM

I am so glad I found this post! I am 24 years old and I have been struggling for a few years trying to find a BC option that would work for me. While I was on the pill I ended up getting a blood clot in my lung; when they couldn't find a problem with my blood they automatically blamed the clot on the estrogen. Ever since then I have been trying every progesterone based BC I can and always end up unhappy with the side effects and switching. First I tried Depo, I hated it!! The shot every three months sends your hormones through the roof; it was like being on the crazy roller coaster!! On top of that my brain just felt numb, I was so depressed I didn't care about anything. It really affected my relationship and my boyfriend just didn't get it. He couldn't understand how be of an effect screwing with your hormones really had on me. Then after about 4 months I started spotting and bleeding almost every day. So I went back to my gyno to look at my options again and they told me Mirena or Implanon. I was very apprehensive about getting the Mirena since I have not had children and didn't want to hurt my chances of having children later in life. I chose the Implanon. Now I have not found anyone else who has tried this. It is a small plastic rod the place under your skin on your arm. It is good for 3 years and is a slow release progesterone. At first I loved this thing. I didn't have the emotional roller coaster and I was much happier all around and I didn’t get my period at all still. After about 8 months I started spotting again... I am now to the point were I am having a period every other week and sometimes spotting my entire 'off' week!! As you may guess this is kind of spoiling my intimate life and becoming a bit of a stressor. I have also had acne problems and gained about 15 lbs that like everyone else I just can't seem to get rid of. I also ended up doing 7 months of Accutane to get rid of the acne which wasn't fun either. I thought at first that the Accutane might be causing all my bleeding but I have been off of it since May and am still bleeding. I have had 2 ultra sounds so I know there isn't a problem with my uterus so it is just the progesterone. My gyno told me most people end up having it taken out because of spotting issues.

I am at a turning point right now. I can no longer tolerate all the bleeding. My gyno said that because I can't have estrogen I am not eligible for any of the possible treatments to help with the bleeding... because he is so helpful I am going for a second opinion next week! I also found out that my health insurance won't cover another implantable device for another 3.5 years! I can only get one every 5 years (which if you are keeping track makes me wonder what I would have done after my 3 years on Implanon was up!!). I had an appointment scheduled about a month ago to have the Implanon taken out and the Paragard put in but I ended up cancelling it after they told me it would cost me $950! I decided I wanted to do more research before I spent that kind of money on a device that I am not sure will be better than what I have. On top of that I was looking at the Paragard website and I think if I purchase the device through them I can save $250 rather then ordering through my clinic... glad they are keeping my costs down!

I hope my story helps someone. I will try to keep you posted on what I learn. I wish there were more options out there for those of us with limited options. I think they need to work harder on this male BC!! Make him see what it's like to mess with your body for awhile. Granted I went on BC b/c I had horrible PMS and irregular periods... Being a woman is rough, at least we are in this together!
#143 of 458 Old 11-20-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersEm View Post
I chose the Implanon. Now I have not found anyone else who has tried this. It is a small plastic rod the place under your skin on your arm. It is good for 3 years and is a slow release progesterone. At first I loved this thing. I didn't have the emotional roller coaster and I was much happier all around and I didn’t get my period at all still. After about 8 months I started spotting again... I am now to the point were I am having a period every other week and sometimes spotting my entire 'off' week!! As you may guess this is kind of spoiling my intimate life and becoming a bit of a stressor. I have also had acne problems and gained about 15 lbs that like everyone else I just can't seem to get rid of. I also ended up doing 7 months of Accutane to get rid of the acne which wasn't fun either. I thought at first that the Accutane might be causing all my bleeding but I have been off of it since May and am still bleeding. I have had 2 ultra sounds so I know there isn't a problem with my uterus so it is just the progesterone. My gyno told me most people end up having it taken out because of spotting issues.
THat sounds a lot like a norplant, which I don't think is available anymore.
#144 of 458 Old 11-20-2009, 08:38 PM

it is just like norplant but has a different progestin. it was oferred to me but I chose a paragard instead
#145 of 458 Old 11-20-2009, 09:02 PM

I am subbing to read more about people's collective experience with IUD birth control. My friend recently had the Mirena inserted at her 6 week check up and discovered a week later that her Dr. had perforated her uterus. They had to do surgery and have it removed from her abdominal cavity. Does anyone know if this will affect future pregnancies? Will she be higher risk because of the uterine perforation by the Mirena? FWIW, the OB who did the surgery said her uterus appeared to be healing well...any thoughts? How common is it for the uterus to be perfortated during IUD insertion?

Mama to my tribe
#146 of 458 Old 11-30-2009, 01:14 PM

I just joined this forum to find out what everyone thought about the differences between paraguard and mirena. I have had mirena for 5 years and need to replace it. My local womens health clinic has program for me to get paraguard for sliding scale fee but told me I could drive to city (2 hours) and get mirena for same fee. So after scanning thru this thread I think my mind is made up. Mirena has always been great for me and so I think I will make the drive. Thanks for all the great info.
#147 of 458 Old 12-03-2009, 05:26 PM

Holy Crow! So I had my first period with the Paragard over the Thanksgiving holiday... My periods before were about 5-6 days long. With the Paragard, it was 7 days. It started really light on Monday, and by Tuesday, I was dying. I had cramps like I've never had before! I had to sit in a bathtub all day with crazy hot water just to get a little bit of relief. Wednesday was rough as well... The cramps subsided by dinnertime on Thursday, thank goodness, but my period was really heavy in a way that it never was before, as well. I had to use ultra-super tampons until Friday evening, and then used regulars until the next Monday afternoon.

Apparently this will subside in a few months, we'll see. I know that I can't handle that amount of agony every month. If it continues, I'll have to have it taken out. I'm going to give it a few more months before I make that decision.
#148 of 458 Old 12-05-2009, 01:27 AM

Well, I had my first period after getting the paraguard. It was definitely heavy, especially the first couple days, and I spotted for a while at the end. The whole thing lasted 8 days, where I usually only go 4 days. But I had literally no cramping -- it's weird, I usually have at least a little cramping, but I didn't have any this month. So that's good.
The heavy periods are kind of a pain for me, but it's so much better than the side effects of hormonal birth control for me, which is total libido death.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#149 of 458 Old 01-09-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitful4Him View Post
I am subbing to read more about people's collective experience with IUD birth control. My friend recently had the Mirena inserted at her 6 week check up and discovered a week later that her Dr. had perforated her uterus. They had to do surgery and have it removed from her abdominal cavity. Does anyone know if this will affect future pregnancies? Will she be higher risk because of the uterine perforation by the Mirena? FWIW, the OB who did the surgery said her uterus appeared to be healing well...any thoughts? How common is it for the uterus to be perfortated during IUD insertion?

1-2 in 1000. It's a very small amount, but it does happen. It *shouldn't* effect future pregnancies, but that depends on the OB she chooses. If she has one who won't do a vaginal delivery after uterine damage, she may be stuck getting c-sections unless she seeks a more mother-friendly OB.

Charity
SAHM of Thomas (8/04), Charlotte (9/07), and Samara (8/09)
#150 of 458 Old 01-11-2010, 01:13 AM

Just thought I'd chime in, I have had both the Paraguard and Mirena. I had the Paraguard first for three years and absolutely hated it, especially the first 2 years my AF was so heavy, I had to wear a super tampon and pad at the same time, and my PMS was horrendous,plus lots of cramping inbetween cycles. I had it removed to conceive my second DS and then had a Mirena inserted in hopes my periods wouldn't be as heavy. My first couple of cycles were rather heavy then became normal, after a year and a half my periods are very light and sometimes only every other month. My PMS is still horrendous, but I guess thats hormones for ya. I've had it 2 years now and everything seems to be going way better than the Paraguard.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page