Paraguard reviews - Mirena vs. Paragard IUD - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#211 of 458 Old 03-11-2011, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

They warned me both times after insertion and after my Mirena removal that touching the inside of the cervical canal can prompt a shock response with low BP, fainting or faintness, and bradycardia (slow heart rate).  

#212 of 458 Old 03-13-2011, 09:47 AM

I had a paraguard for years and believed it was the best thing ever.  However, the longer I had it, the sicker I got.    I did some research to see what creates the unhospitable environment and it turns out that the copper IUD does alter hormones eto create the right environment.   I eventually went to the doctor and found out I was estrogen dominent, hypothryoid, and could not tolerate gluten.  It turns out that copper toxicity is related to gluten intolerance and high estrogen creates all sorts of problems.  Just an FYI, though I have no proof, I do feel that the copper IUD could have caused a lot of the health problems which have steadily gotten better since I've had it removed previously the only thing (including thyroid medication) that was improving my situation was a gluten free diet.

ETA: I also had a miscarriage with the Copper IUD and did not realize I was pregnant until I passed an embryo (not a sustainable pregnancy most likely with lots spotting throughout).  It was the last straw. As soon as I figured out what was going on, I had it removed.

#213 of 458 Old 03-13-2011, 06:25 PM

I had Paragard for about 6 weeks or so after the birth of my third baby, and I hated it.  I bled constantly, nearly every day.  I cramped and was bloated.  I didn't feel very good with it.  I ended up taking it out by myself at home, and there was a big chunk of bloody fleshy stuff attached to it.  yikes.gif  Immediately afterwards, I had relief.  I haven't bled since, and it was in May/June that I removed it.  Not a drop since! 

My sister had the Mirena after the birth of her son, and she wasn't happy with it either.  It was crampy, she had break-through bleeding, and she had it removed after almost a year.  She's glad she had it removed.

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#214 of 458 Old 03-14-2011, 03:30 PM
MJB

I had a paragard for 3 years after the birth of my middle child. It did cause heavier periods but that was the only drawback, IMO. 

My husband got a vasectomy when I was pregnant with our third, so I don't need an IUD for birth control now but have considered trying the Mirena to try and get rid of my period. I'm so over it now. 

#215 of 458 Old 03-20-2011, 03:58 PM

Mirena VS Paraguard ::

I am a mom of 3 ... I had the Mirena placed after my 3rd child. Decided the pill was just not for me...but the Mirena still has hormones in it...albeit slightly less I was told. The insertion was no biggie (after having 3 kids -- what's the big deal anyhow, really LOL) ... I do recall some spotting. The best part about it...looking back...is scant to nil periods !! I had it removed after the 5 year mark. Then...I decided No Hormones For me....perhaps due to weight fluctuations and a waning sex drive....but I also got a divorce so I clearly did not want to get pregnant by any means. So I opted for the Paraguard IUD. Its been almost a year and a half later with this IUD. I am FED UP with this thing!! I am now experiencing more cramping every month. My periods have been about 24 to 27 days apart (sometimes even 21 days!!) and guaranteed to last at the very least 6 full days. Talk about a pain. Its like playing beat the clock every month...I am very sexually active and "its" usually at a standstill during THAT WEEK...which totally throws me off kilter. Just not for me anymore is all I am saying. Thankfully, I did not have to pay alot for mine as I went through Planned Parenthood at the time because I had no real insurance coverage.I believe I will be opting for the Mirena again for the mere fact that I wont have to deal with the ongoing constant period I "seem" to be on!! I have got to think of the $$$ I will be saving on tampons/pads and ibuprofen, right????

#216 of 458 Old 03-23-2011, 01:06 PM

Good afternoon ladies! I know this thread is kind of old, but I'm still hoping some of you may be around to share your experiences with the Mirena and Paragard IUDs.  I am 38 years old and  had the Mirena inserted about six months ago in Oct. of 2010. after the birth of my youngest. I have three children, ages 16, 3 and 7 months. My youngest was 2.5 months old at that time I got Mirena, and I was still losing some of my baby weight. I am normally a very small/petite person, around 115 lbs. I was 125 when I got the Mirena (due to still carrying and few baby pounds) and I am 125 today - six months later - despite MUCH effort to drop some weight. So I haven't gained on it, but it seems like it has been impossible to lose. I am a competitive runner and even ten extra pounds on my body affects my racing performance time greatly. I know how to lose weight and have never had trouble doing so in the past - but I cannot seem to lose weight no matter what I do. I realize that I am not overweight, but I am heavier than I am accustomed to and do not feel good about my body. Not only that, but I feel depressed, irritable and moody and I am very snappy to my family members. My doctor has suggested that maybe I have post partum depression, but I highly doubt it. I never felt like this with my other kids this long after birth. Other than these things I've mentioned, I have enjoyed the Mirena... I don't get a period and I like not having to think about birth control. Today, I had a consultation about Paragard and made an appointment to have it inserted on Monday. Still, I am super nervous about starting this whole process over again when the Mirena just got settled in.  Part of me thinks, what if the paragard is worse???? I keep reading these message boards and changing my mind back and forth! LOL  If anyone has any help or feedback, I would very much appreciate it! HELP!

#217 of 458 Old 04-04-2011, 10:19 AM

I've had my Mirena in since Aug 06. At first I liked it, period went from heavy with severe cramps to just spotting no cramps, to nothing at all. Now its approaching that time to where I have to have it removed and I do not think I am getting it again.

I have gained more then 25lbs since having it put it, I have mood swings that I did not have before, my sex drive went down, I get headaches more often now then before more like migraines actually, I now have worse acne then before as well and I always feel bloated which are all common side effects.

I am not sure about paragard either since I had bad period and cramps before an IUD and researching paragard that is a major side effect that everyone complains about. I am awful about taking pills, and with a pill I would believe you have to take it every day at the same time or it gets missed up.

Any advice, suggestions, comments would be greatly appreciated.

#218 of 458 Old 04-12-2011, 02:55 AM

Copper IUD and CRAMPS:

I had DD last June and had the Nova (like a paraguard) fitted 11 weeks PP.  I have now had 3 periods (on a 49-51 day cycle right now, as still BFing).

Honestly, the first month was a bit crampy, the second was not so bad but i definitely had a day of backache and low pelvic cramping, i recently gave up sugar for Lent and this time it was TOTALLY pain free!  I am totally shocked, but a lot of other things have improved since i gave up sugar so it kind of makes sense.  If i hadn't happened to have been off sugar i might have never known the effect it was having and gone on thinking that the IUD causes cramps and that's that, so i'm really glad i was!

Copper IUD and BLEEDING:

The first cycle i had was very bad - 50mls loss on 4 days, 80mls on one day and 3 days of 2.5-5ml loss (i use a mooncup and it has measurement markings on it so i can measure how much i'm losing).  The second was much lighter, maybe 100mls overall, and this time was more like about 85-90mls loss.  Now, that still counts as "heavy" (i believe 10-80mls is "normal") but it really isn't so bad i'm feeling drained or anything.  Perhaps if i had a 28 day cycle again that level of loss would be too high, but at the moment i get 7 weeks or so to recover each time so i'm fine.  I also think/hope they will continue to get lighter until i'm back to normal (which for me is 40mls loss the first 24-36 hours and then 30-35mls over the following 5 days).

Copper IUD and WEIGHT:

I too found it harder to lose weight with the Mirena, not impossible, but hard.  I was someone who had been overweight for years due to un-dx thyroid problems, and then lost a ton during pregnancy (i was never obese, BMI 29 or so) and i didn't find the Mirena made me gain, only that if poor eating habits had me gain the Mirena made it hard to lose again.  HOWEVER, i am BFing right now and have not lost a lb since DD was 8 weeks old (ironically, BMI is 29.3 again!) despite exercise, eating very sensibly and healthfully and lots and lots of BFing.  It's not the Mirena this time - i think the hormones might be to blame and i'm trying not to worry about it until the baby is weaned (in like 18 months or something! LMAO!).

I was getting PMT symptoms for up to 2 weeks every month with the Mirena and that has stopped with the Copper coil.

#219 of 458 Old 04-22-2011, 08:08 AM

Hi, I first had the Mirena and always had problems with pain and discomfort, and always got Bacterial Infections easily, not to mention since the Mirena has extra Hormones ( which I thought was too much) and it always made me feel Crazy around that time of the month. After three years of having the mirena, it became dislodged and was just floating around in my Uterus, they had to retrieve it and remove it!!! Now I have had the ParaGard, and I've had it for a little over a year now, My periods are a little heavier and painful, but No hormones to make you feel Crazy, although I haven't had many problems with this IUD, I do have some Ovarian Cysts, not sure if it's due to the IUD or not? Has anyone else had painful Ovarian Cysts? I'm trying to figure out if this is another IUD problem or not? 

I would not recommend any IUD, too many problems, and it worries me to know that too many problems with one can cause Infertility altogether!   

#220 of 458 Old 04-24-2011, 08:44 PM

I am on my second Paragard. I had my first removed to become pregnant with my second daughter.  Midwife did have some trouble removing it, but I believe that was because I have a tilted inverted uterus & had recently switched midwives, so she wasn't familiar with my anatomy.  Other than that, I've had no problems with the first one or the one I currently have.  It didn't even interfere with breastfeeding.  I have actually had shorter periods (3-4 days) but they have been extremely heavy.  Cramps were strong for the first few months, but then disappeared completely, even during my period.  I have noticed an increased amount of CM.  I am happy wth my Paragard & am ecstatic that  don't have artificial hormones running through my body.

#221 of 458 Old 04-24-2011, 08:45 PM

I am on my second Paragard. I had my first removed to become pregnant with my second daughter.  Midwife did have some trouble removing it, but I believe that was because I have a tilted inverted uterus & had recently switched midwives, so she wasn't familiar with my anatomy.  Other than that, I've had no problems with the first one or the one I currently have.  It didn't even interfere with breastfeeding.  I have actually had shorter periods (3-4 days) but they have been extremely heavy.  Cramps were strong for the first few months, but then disappeared completely, even during my period.  I have noticed an increased amount of CM.  I am happy wth my Paragard & am ecstatic that  don't have artificial hormones running through my body.

#222 of 458 Old 05-27-2011, 03:45 AM

I just got my mirena taken out. I had it in about 11 months. I had a horrible experience with it. Pain during intercourse, infections, gained 25 pounds, swollen stomach, and much more. I wouldn't recommend it to any one. I know a few people who cant even have kids anymore because of it. I'm thinking about getting the paragard, but I'm a little hesitant to do it after everything I went through with mirena. I hope this is helpful for you!

#223 of 458 Old 05-27-2011, 02:06 PM

I just had my Mirena removed today...I had it 2 1/2 years and enjoyed not having a period, or having to remember to take a pill (since I was on the mini pill after I had my daughter and got pregnant with twin boys when she was only 3 months old...the mini pill does not work for me! ;) ) and I didn't really notice too many adverse side effects until this last year or didn't recognize the side effects until recently.  I had Extreme mood swings , felt rage alot...it was weird since in my mind I could see things rationally, but my reactions felt way out of control), I completely lost my sex drive (which is sad because I Love my hubby so much and I could see how bad it hurt him), My cramping was getting worse and worse each month and I wonder if it was contributing to my weight problem (although having 3 kids in one year does not do much for one's body either).

So, I decided I needed to take control...The Dr. tried talking me out of getting the Para Guard, because it's supposedly not as effective and told me that he highly doubts the Mirena was causing all those complaints/symtoms.  But ultimately the decision was mine and I just cannot risk hurting my husband anymore or ride this emotional roller coaster (It's not fair to my kids and family).  So, we will see if any of these side effects decrease or go away now that I don't have the extra hormones.

I'm interested to hear if anyone has noticed positive changes after switching from Mirena to Para Guard?  I am a little scared since I know I am done having kids and the thought of getting pregnant again scares me and the Para Guard is supposed to be a little less effective than the Mirena.

#224 of 458 Old 05-28-2011, 01:18 AM

The statistical difference between efficacy of mirena and paraguard is 4 per 1000 in the first year (it goes down after that).  That is in the first year 2 in 1000 women on Mirena will get pregnant, 6 in 1000 with the copper IUD will.  Usually the pregnancies are because the device got expelled and the woman didn't notice.  That's more likely to happen in the first few months than later on, but it's a good reason to check the strings every month to make sure it's still in place.

I definitely notice a difference with the Mirena vs copper IUD - with the mirena i was having 2+weeks of PMT with moodswings and tenderness in my breasts and stomach which got worse over time (when it was first fitted it was 5 days of this, by the time i had it taken out it was weeks of it, more time feeling that way than not).

With the copper coil i feel (hormonally) normal.  The only thing i'd complain about is the vaginal discharge!  I have a ton of it, it's yellowish and snotty.  I've had it checked twice and there's no infection, it's just that the thing is working really well and my cervix is making very thick mucus which helps to keep the sperm out but is kind of gross.  I must note that it's only me it bothers, DP is none the wiser.

#225 of 458 Old 05-31-2011, 01:18 PM

I got a pargauard when #3 was a few months old. We were open to #4, but wanted to wait at least a few years to make any decisions.  I was afraid of getting the Mirena and not liking the side effects of the hormones. (I had problems when I stopped taking BCPs after #1, and trying to have #2.)

Well, I was really happy with it. The extra discharge seemed to go away after 6 months or so. Insertion wasn't bad, and I had it done before I had a period, so the NP said it might be worse because they usually insert during your period. I didn't have my first AF till baby was 18 months- I'm guessing because he nursed a lot for a long time, not because of the iud. LOL.

Anyway, I'm part of the percentage that it didn't work for since #4 is on the way, and the iud is still in place. We're excited now, but we were very shocked. It's also a big PITB to get it removed since my MW isn't comfortable doing it (she didn't insert it either) and we are paying out of pocket for baby and now this.

CPST, LLL and Mom to a 9yr old animal lovin' girl, 6yr old wild man,  4 yr old cuddle bug and 1 year old "little brother."

Now we are growing the family with chickens, ducks, and dairy goats.

#226 of 458 Old 06-01-2011, 03:59 PM

sorry, double post.

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#227 of 458 Old 06-01-2011, 04:02 PM

carseatqueen -- oh my!! that must have been a shock. congrats, though!!

I'm so bummed because I think I've gained 20-25 lbs with the mirena. 10lbs I gained right away, within the first month. It was so obvious. The rest has been more slowly... over a year. But I'm so depressed about it I'm considering getting it removed. I have no other weird symptoms that I can tell, except maybe lack of sex drive, but it could be other things. My eating hasn't changed at all and I'm still nursing my DD who is 2.5.

Anyone else have this problem? Will the weight go away if I get it removed? I would assume so but I'm worried!

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#228 of 458 Old 06-01-2011, 09:15 PM

I had a mirena inserted 8 weeks after my daughter (who is now 5) was born. A couple of weeks later I had a lot of bleeding and cramping and I couldn't find my strings, so I went in to have it checked out. An ultrasound determined everything was okay though, and I stopped bleeding and cramping the next day, so my doctor didn't see the need to remove it. When AF returned 8 months later it was out of control. Every 2 weeks I was bleeding! I tried to have it removed, but they weren't able to find it, and because I didn't have health insurance, I wasn't able to pay for more tests. A couple of years later when I finally had health insurance, I went in to have it removed. They gave me cytotec and opened my cervix, but still didn't have any luck. After an ultrasound and xray they found it in my abdomen. It had gone through my uterus and I had to have it surgically removed. I consider myself very lucky I it didn't damage my intestines.

Happily married to my soul mate, and a mommy of two girls + another baby due in June!

5****10****15****20****25****30****35**stillheart.gif*40

#229 of 458 Old 06-02-2011, 12:21 PM

i have had mirena for 4 1/2 years and just removed it last week due. I havent had any problems with it for the entire time i had it, with the exception of last week when i had it removed due to unexplained pregnancy symptoms with 5 negative pregnancy tests (2 of which were blood tests). I'm still trying to find out whats goin on with that, but I havent had a period in over 4 years now and it has been amazing! Dont let the pregnancy symptoms scare you from this IUD cause im sure its just my body being stupid.

#230 of 458 Old 06-13-2011, 07:53 AM

Hello everyone,

My name is Lauren and I am 24, I have had Mirena in place for 7 months.

In the beginning I had cramping, mood swings, headaches, back aches and abnormalities with my bleeding. I decided to keep it in for the recommended 6 months, and monitor how my body adjusted/reacted. Within 7 months (currently) most of my symptoms have diminished except for moodiness and anxiety. I have recently went on Wellbutrin to help control the anxiety I think I get from the Mirena. And lately it has become almost unbarable at times. The anxiety makes me wig out for no reason, I am unable to sleep sometimes with eccentricm, vivid dreams. This could be from Wellbutrin, but I am wondering if this Mirena is worth all of this trouble? I am miserable.

I was also never informed of ParaGuard from my doctor. This is the first time I am ever hearing about it. I have always been extremely sensitive to birth control options, and continue to struggle in finding a remedy.

Any help from users who have ParaGuard vs Mirena? Or Mirena users who have similar symptoms and found a way to cope and still keep Mirena?

Lauren

#231 of 458 Old 06-14-2011, 07:09 PM

I had my paragard inserted 8 days ago (last Monday). I was really, really nervous about the insertion but it really wasn't THAT bad. I had read peoples posts online that it was the worst pain they had ever felt and that freaked me out but was not my experience at all (I have never been pregnant fwiw). I took 3 ibuprofen before my appointment my that might have helped a bit. It was uncomfortable and a little painful but nothing out of this world.

My appointment was at 4:30pm and I was fine until about 9pm that night. I got cramps that were very similar to bad period cramps. I do not usually have bad cramps and they are easily taken away with a couple ibuprofen but these were much more persistent. For the next 4 days I was taking ibuprofen ( 2 at a time) every four hours. Again, not terrible pain just uncomfortable cramping. There was spotting too which increased as the days went on. By Friday I was at the point of having to use a tampon and the cramps were getting worse through out the day. Friday night I got fed up and decided to take a muscle relaxer. Lo and behold I took that, fell asleep, and when I woke up Saturday morning my cramps and bleeding were gone.

Me and my boyfriend had sex for the first time post insertion last night (one week later) and everything was fine. He said he can feel the strings a little bit (he said it feels like there is a hair in there) but that if I hadn't told him to "look" for it he wouldn't have noticed. So far I am happy with my decision to get the paragard. I wish it would stop my periods like Mirena but I needed something non hormonal.

bthisgirl2 likes this.
#232 of 458 Old 06-15-2011, 04:54 PM

I got the Mirena when my son was 8 weeks old. Now he is 9 months, I had never heard of the Paraguard until a friend of mine got just a few weeks ago!! I was diganosed with severe preeclampsia at 33 weeks! I gained almost 100 pounds during pregnancy most of it fluid. Anywho i still havent lost all that weight i seem to be gaining. Im just wondering if its due to the Mirena. I have bad mood swings, dizzines, headaches, and i bleed (spot) all the time. I constantly have to wear a pad because i never know when it will happen. Sorry I just get tired of wearing them all the time. Before when i took the pill i gained alot of weight so i quit taking it. Im REALLY considering the Paraguard any suggestions???

#233 of 458 Old 06-21-2011, 11:02 AM

I have had the paragard since April 2011, seven weeks after my twin girls were born and before I returned to work. Inserting the device was uncomfortable but not extremely painful ( I did break out in a sweat during the procedure). My periods have been heavier and longer! They get better every few weeks, oh yeah, I have a period about every 18 to 21 days now. I hope that goes away over the next few months. I have experienced a little cramping during my periods but it's not noticable when I am busy. The only bad part is the heavy, long periods (about 7-9 days compared to the 4 days I had before getting the IUD) and the occasional heavy discharge. One of the posters stated that their doctor did not tell them about the Paragard. The first doctor I had during my pregnancy did not either, it was the Mirena, right away. However, when I switched doctors he told me about the Paragard also and I decided that I wanted to try the hormone free route. I just hope my periods get lighter and shorter.

#234 of 458 Old 06-21-2011, 11:15 AM

To Jordynsmother,

I was also diagnosed with preeclampsia at about 34/35 weeks. I gained 70 pounds of fluid and lost 49 pounds within two weeks of having twin girls. I continued to loose weight until the girls were about three months and I gained five pounds. I gained from making poor food choices because I thought that I would continue to loose weight due to getting so much activity from having twins and working (yeah right). I got the paragard seven weeks after having the girls, besides the heavy and long periods, it's okay. My friend has had the Mirena for a few months and she loves it because she barely has a period. She never heard of the paragard either (neither did I) and wishes that she can keep her IUD for ten years like mine as oppose to five years.

#235 of 458 Old 06-24-2011, 05:51 AM

I had the Mirena in for a year and I was at the doctor's every month with bacteria infections mostly, the medicine for the bacteria infection would give me a yeast infection. It was a nightmare. The doctors kept sayting it wasnt the iud but as soon as I had it removed I had no more infections. You could try it out but if you start getting any type of infections down there have it removed right away. My mistake was in believeing the doctor and leaving it in for so long.

#236 of 458 Old 06-28-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alana View Post

I just got my Paraguard a couple weeks ago. I had my period when I got it...it hurt, but not horribly...just a bit crampy. My period lasted maybe 2 more days...wasnt very heavy either. I have not had any issues since...I was all prepared to non stop spotting, and havent had any.

I'm considering Paraguard. How was the remainder of your experience? I've never had kids so I'm concerned about possibly longer periods.

#237 of 458 Old 06-30-2011, 01:03 PM

I loved my copper IUD! The first couple of cycles I was extra crampy, but that evened out.  I have a light period, and the iud lengthened it from 4 to 6 days.  Not bad.  I have had several friends that really struggled with it and eventually had it removed.  Thas was for both copper and hormonal iuds.  Another thing I've noticed with the women in my life is that the MD's often try to sway them towards the hormone option.  Myself included.  I thought that was very interesting.

Me (33) + Him (34) = US 10.3.09

Trying to conceive since 1.6.11.  Diagnosed as phlegm stagnant with PCOS and a blocked tube.

First loss on 3.5.12. Second loss on 5.19.12. Cautiously optimistic that the 3rd time really is a charm. EDD 8.7.2013.

BFPChart2.gif http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/krunchyk

blogging.jpg www....

#238 of 458 Old 07-02-2011, 05:32 PM

Hi I have had both, When I had the Mirena I didn't seem to have as bad of periods. I think it was working pretty good but I was having other complications with other things and they thought it would be best to take it out for a little while.

After that they decided to try the para guard and I have had it for 2 months. The first month I had a spotting period for 4 days followed by a heavy heavy period for 5. It really sucked. The cramps are horrible. Now that I am on month 2 I am late, I have had bad cramps for 2 weeks and I should have had some sign of my period this last week. I don't know if it has made me late or if I am having complications.. Im seeing my doctor this week. Also sex was terrible, I don't know if it has anything to do with it or not.. but Im not happy at all.

Try the Mirena, I think it was much better, periods were lighter and may even stop.. if I had known that this one was the opposit on how your periods would be I would have never tried it.

Best wishes.. research all of them.. maybe there is something better, there are so many different kinds now,

bthisgirl2 likes this.
#239 of 458 Old 07-02-2011, 05:39 PM

Wellbutrin could cause your trouble sleeping, moodines, anxiety. Sometimes although they are suppose to help they do the opposit. There are lost of better anxiety things. talk to you doctor and keep trying things you get right. feel free to email me if you want some advice.. always read what they give you to try for things like anxiety. They have new medications out that have terrible side effects and sometimes the doctors over look some of them.. always read what you are taking before you try it. Especally in the realm of anti depression meds.

And anyone that is ever given Lyrica.. I advise strongly against it. My life will never be the same. My brain doesn't function the way it used to and I am not sure if I can even work now. Be careful about all new meds.

#240 of 458 Old 07-06-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBecGo View Post

The statistical difference between efficacy of mirena and paraguard is 4 per 1000 in the first year (it goes down after that).  That is in the first year 2 in 1000 women on Mirena will get pregnant, 6 in 1000 with the copper IUD will.  Usually the pregnancies are because the device got expelled and the woman didn't notice.  That's more likely to happen in the first few months than later on, but it's a good reason to check the strings every month to make sure it's still in place.

I definitely notice a difference with the Mirena vs copper IUD - with the mirena i was having 2+weeks of PMT with moodswings and tenderness in my breasts and stomach which got worse over time (when it was first fitted it was 5 days of this, by the time i had it taken out it was weeks of it, more time feeling that way than not).

With the copper coil i feel (hormonally) normal.  The only thing i'd complain about is the vaginal discharge!  I have a ton of it, it's yellowish and snotty.  I've had it checked twice and there's no infection, it's just that the thing is working really well and my cervix is making very thick mucus which helps to keep the sperm out but is kind of gross.  I must note that it's only me it bothers, DP is none the wiser.

Hey GoBecGo.  I had the same problem with vaginal discharge when I was on the pill.  Once I would go off the pill it would go away.  I was also tested for infections that came back negative.  The discharge was worse the week before my period.  I ended up talking to my midwife about it and she recommended Floragen or Floragen3.  It's a probitoic that helps balance your pH.  I took one a day until the week before my period (when the discharge was horrible and unconfortable).  During that week I took 2 a day.  It worked, the discharge was barely noticable! Maybe try that.  There are different probiotics out there. i use Floragen because of the cost and i can get it in the town I live in.  I just had the Paragard inserted yesterday and I'm going to continue to take the Floragen because i've read with IUD's your more prone to infections.  Hope that helps :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page