How to store semen? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-22-2004, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dh had a vas 10 months ago and we have not done the follow up test yet. So, I just got the little hospital container for turning in the "sample" and I have a few questions:

1) Once we uh "get" the sample into the container where do we store it? Fridge? Shelf? Medicine cabinet?

2) How long can it be stored to where the test will be the most accurate? I was thinking we'd get the sample the night before and bring it in the next morning. How fresh does it have to be?

3) I won't ask.

4) What is the failure rate of a vas in 2004? I just got AF back for the first time after ovulating around dh and had a VERY bizarre period. It was really, really harsh - I bled so much I started passing out and felt like vomiting. Then, after the period I had a day of brown discharge just like that brown post partum discharge. My Aunt and my good friend said they only had that when it was an early miscarriage! So, we must get this test done now. How sad is it that we're both kind of hoping it didn't work?
#2 of 12 Old 10-22-2004, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does it have to be a live sample??? When my DH was tested years ago (for infertility), I put it in my bra on the way to the hospital lab!
#3 of 12 Old 10-22-2004, 10:29 PM

if it has to be a live sample then it needs to be done and brought to the lab within 45 minutes ... at least that is how it was when we did IF treatments ...
#4 of 12 Old 10-22-2004, 10:36 PM

They probably don't need it to be live, cuz even if there are dead sperm in there that would be a problem! So it probably really doesn't matter what you do.
#5 of 12 Old 10-23-2004, 01:30 AM

No, it does matter. They need to see if the sperm is mobile or not. We needed it to be brought in within 30 minutes.
#6 of 12 Old 10-23-2004, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, within 30 minutes? Luckily we're close to the hospital. Thanks for the info!
#7 of 12 Old 10-23-2004, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bippity
Does it have to be a live sample??? When my DH was tested years ago (for infertility), I put it in my bra on the way to the hospital lab!
LMAO, okay. why was it in your bra, is that just where it was *ahem* sprayed or was that your transport method. Can you just have him do it right before you take the sample in. BTW, can I give my DH your DH's number so he can see this is okay to do.
#8 of 12 Old 10-23-2004, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Bippity

I'm with Jeca...Do tell lol
#9 of 12 Old 10-23-2004, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini
No, it does matter. They need to see if the sperm is mobile or not. We needed it to be brought in within 30 minutes.
He had a vasectomy; there shouldn't be any there, mobile or not!
#10 of 12 Old 10-23-2004, 08:22 AM

You put the containter in your bra or under your arm to maintain the proper temperature so the sperm don't die. Most women use the bra simply because it is hand's free and the underarm can get too warm (I think).

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#11 of 12 Old 11-10-2004, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The clinic should have told you a time frame. Anyway, I had to run 2 sperm tests in the last week and the instructions said to run the test within 12 hours but didn't say how to store it, I would think room temp is fine if you have a lid on it. You'd need to put it in the fridge if there were live swimmers you were planning on using : :

Seriously?
#12 of 12 Old 11-10-2004, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

I agree, they should've told us a time frame. I made dh call the lab and they were really annoying and said it didn't matter at all, just bring it in whenever.

Update, he brought it in. It worked. We're done.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page