Forum Jump: 

#1 of 170 Old 12-07-2004, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Old thread: http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...=1#post2358663

I'm not sure where to start.

Hi, I'm Megan and I chart to avoid

Let me recap what has been going on with me.

I went to a naturopath about a month ago. It was determined that I'm estrogen heavy and have a slow thyroid. I was put on a liquid progesterone, wild yam, and soemthing for my thyroid. I started feeling almost immediate changes. My fogginess and lack of concentraion left. My nausea has been dramatically lessened...like almost never, and I'm just feeling better.

I'm currently at cd21. I need a new batt for my bbt still. So, I'm just charting cm and cp. We've been doing pretty good on the condom front. I think we've only "missed" once maybe twice.

My last cycle appears to be actually 31 days so we'll see how it goes this month. So far though, I've had nausea start back up, I'm crampy, my low belly jsut aches, and my nips are sore. Fun PMS....fun fun....

How is everyone else??

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#2 of 170 Old 12-08-2004, 08:26 PM

I was part of the TTA thread that got too long in August, and I didn't rejoin the new thread.

Anyway, I was charting in July, and we moved from Atlanta to Boulder (1,400 miles) in early August, and I didn't start charting again. I got my August period, which was delayed, but then I couldn't find my thermometer. I'm BFing so I don't have strong mucus signs.

I was just so exhausted with the move. I was in total denial: I thought my period was late because I was sick, because I was under stress, because I was so active .... It took me until early September to figure out that I am pregnant!

I was using FAM/NFP to become more aware of my fertility, but I had not yet started relying on it to avoid. I was waiting until I had 3 months of non-breaking data on my cycles, but I would skip a cycle.

DH and I both are allergic to latex, and don't care for condoms. I suppose if we really hadn't wanted a third child, we would have been much more careful. Still, I was upset that I hadn't planned this pregnancy. We had to completely rethink our plans for the next two years.

So, it will be a while before I rejoin the TTA thread!

-- Caitlin (with the telltale pregnancy nausea and burping and fatigue)
#3 of 170 Old 12-08-2004, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Well, congrats on your surprise

I'm in that freak out time of the month....

#4 of 170 Old 12-11-2004, 02:14 PM

Are you guys still letting new people in? I'm Heather, we have two boys, Tyler turns 5 next week and Braden is 17mos. I first started charting in Summer 2001, avoided with it for a few months, and then we started TTC. Had two m/c before we got Braden. I still don't have AF back because we're still nursing all the time and through the night. But I started temping again last week. My thermometer died on me and I missed a few days, and we've been sick the last few days so I've let temping go, so I think I need to start my 2 weeks over to get good temps so I can see if there's anything going on...we do not want any more children. Maybe in 10 years, but definitely not in the next 5! We're young (I'm 23, dh is 24) so we don't want to do anything permanent (he'll be getting a vas, when we're 100% sure we're done, long time from now). So that's me! I use paper charts and we abstain during fertile times (which haven't come yet).

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

#5 of 170 Old 12-14-2004, 12:57 PM

Hi everyone!I'm Alison. I have one Ds who is now 20 mos old--he's not my baby any more! I'd like another, but DH doesn't (well, he says he doesn't, but I'm not completely sure I believe him!). I'm brand new to charting, just starting out this past week. We've been basically winging it until now as far as birth control goes, since having DS in 2003 (the reason I'm not convinced DH doesn't want more--if you didn't want more kids, would you rely on "pul lout and pray" as your birth control?). I really like the idea of charting, because I've had some reactions to the pill in the past. I noticed a year ago when I started using the Keeper for AF that I was much more in touch with my body and my cycle than I used to be, so charting seemed like the next logical step.

Alison
#6 of 170 Old 12-14-2004, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Alison!

AF is due her ein the next 2 days. She doesn't feel like she's coming though. We've had the stomach flu this week so I'm thinking it has delayed af.

#7 of 170 Old 12-14-2004, 05:07 PM

I am sick and have a fever, so not charting the last few days (or the next few). It was 100 this morning,and I know that's not right,lol. Usually it's 97. No problem though, I'm so sick and tired, and dh is still sick, we don't even want to do anything, too tired and yucky feeling!!!!

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

#8 of 170 Old 12-14-2004, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Man, I hope you get to feeling better.

I had been feeling off all last week. Then I had nausea start on Wednesday. By Thursday I had a severe headache and puked everywhere. Friday I ached terrible. By Saturday I felt better but Tracy had been puking all night.

Its tuesday now and I still have periods of severe nausea and I'm extremely tired but other than that I'm back to normal

#9 of 170 Old 12-14-2004, 06:06 PM

I'd like to join you guys. I'm also new to charting but don't want to go back on the pill. I haven't got AF back but I have a feeling it will be coming soon with the baby chowing down on solid food. So I'd really like to get started, my biggest challenge right now is getting a long enough block of sleep and then remembering to take my temp. How do you get in the habit of checking first thing?
#10 of 170 Old 12-14-2004, 06:57 PM

Hi! It's been a while since I was around. We moved too, and I haven' t been temping. I sort of been keeping an eye on my CM, and we use condoms when I think I'm ovulating.

As soon as my period starts again, I'm back to being really careful. I really really want a baby right now, but dh for some reason isn't into it, so we're TTA until further notice. (Not knowing when we'll start TTC is killing me!)

So, that's basically what's up with me.
#11 of 170 Old 12-15-2004, 06:21 PM

It's taken me a few nights to get into the habit of taking temp first thing. Partly because DS always wakes up during the night, which means remembering to take my temp at like 3:30 or 4:30 am, the first time he wakes up. I put the thermometer under my pillow (lots of things under my pillow-I dread the day that DS figures out to look under there!). Anyway, I figured out how to work the thermometer in the dark, so I just have to remember to go back later during the day and check what the temperature was. I'm pretty good at remembering now, but it took about a week before I was remembering every night!

Alison
#12 of 170 Old 12-15-2004, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

I just looked at last months chart...af was due cd29. Today is cd30. I think the flu pushed her back.

Dh and I have NEVER been this careful in the 4 yrs we've been married.

#13 of 170 Old 12-17-2004, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

I'm now 4 days late. I tested but it was inconclusive.

I got to looking at my chart and the only time we had sex around when I think I o'ed was... unconventional : I know anything is possible but how possible is it for some little swimmers to swim their way in?

#14 of 170 Old 12-18-2004, 02:04 AM

hi - i want to get in on this. i've used fa for tta before and loved it, then had my little guy lucas, who is now 17 mo. i haven't started menstruating again yet, probably b/c i'm still breastfeeding all night long but i've definitely noticed some cm changes, and think that i should probably start charting again to see how things are looking. we've been using a diaphragm, and it's working out pretty well.
#15 of 170 Old 12-19-2004, 01:16 PM

I'm trying to avoid too!

Though you wouldn't know it by my totally risky move last night

I o'ed yesterday too, so I'm going to be a nervous wreck for about 2 weeks.

I posted about this in Fertility, but no one responded to me

It's not like I'd be upset about being pg, but it's the not knowing!!!!!!!!

A friend of mine told me to take Vitamin C to avoid, but I know nothing about this, and I'd be freaked out if I were pg and had taken something.

Anyway, must keep an eye on my chart, huh? Only time will tell.

ps. anyone heard of using breastmilk to do an HPT? I hear that it's more accurate because there's more hormones in breastmilk. hmmmm....
#16 of 170 Old 12-19-2004, 02:24 PM

Welcome to the club. Two of us are in the same boat you are. Me, and Megan. I haven't tested, and won't for at least another week. She has had inconclusive results.

New news on my side of things... I checked my past charts to get an idea of when I ovulated... and ideally I'd O around CD 16ish.... and this month I thought I O'ed on CD 17, but when I checked last months chart, it showed I Oed around CD 22! Eep! That when this whole thing happened this month! Because I wasn't temping, I was only going by CM! Anyway, a picture is worth a thousand words, chart here: http://www2.fertilityfriend.com/home/13f5b

The Xs are protected, the AM/PM are unprotected.

I have never heard about testing with breastmilk! I'd be really interested to see if it works!

Edit: Gah, in restrospect I can see I've been an idiot! I'd love to get pg, but I'd like to have my husband on board too! (I haven't mentioned this to him yet, because I'm still so unsure, and I don't want to worry him without cause. If I am pg, he'll be plenty stressed. And if I tell him, and I'm NOT, we'll never have sex again! Lol.)
#17 of 170 Old 12-19-2004, 03:20 PM

yes, dh would about faint if i told him that there's a good chance we could be pg. I hate to worry all by myself, but there's no sense getting his panties all in a twist.

you ever do that thing where you analyze your chart and research and hem and haw about whether you could be pregnant, and just when you think you've convinced yourself that you are/aren't, you realize that there's no way you could possibly know and you just have to wait?

I think I've done that about 20 times since last night.

Right now I'm fussing about whether I had any fertile mucous anyway. I have had meager, weirdly timed CF this cyle, I'm guessing because of some increased breastfeeding of late. Anyway, I was not noticing any wetness really yesterday - I guess you could call it sticky. So I'm thinking that you can't really conceive if you have no fertile cervical fluid and you have a thermal shift 12 hours later....right?

Please, someone talk some sense into me on this one. I am such a worry wart and I can't believe that I was so brainless and irrational last night..
#18 of 170 Old 12-19-2004, 03:33 PM

Thomi's mommy, yep, I have done that a thousand times in the past week. I mean, I would know for certain if I'd been charting like I was supposed to, but then I wouldn't have had this problem to begin with! :P

I'm not going to be much comfort, but I think it's likely you could be pregnant. But I can't know for sure, because only you know your CM the best.

Honestly, last night I was leaning towards being pregnant, because I thought I might be feeling implantation, but today I feel no symptoms whatsoever, and my CM has gone down to creamy, so I don't think I am. But that could all change before tonight! Gah, and I still have to wait another week. :P

(BTW, I totally love the name Thomasina!)
#19 of 170 Old 12-19-2004, 04:01 PM

so if you are pregnant, when does your cm start to increase? I don't remember when with Thomi (Thanks, btw, most people give us funny looks about her name, they can't figure out if it's a boy's or a girls, I'm like, ThomasINA!). Will I notice it increasing before I miss my period? And would you say that the triphasic increase in temp is very common among pregnant women?

I'm just trying to think of a way to be more certain what the deal is before my luteal phase is up. Grasping at straws, aren't I....

I have also read that even with the cool new HPTs, you still are only likely to get an accurate read around the day you were supposed to get AF. So maybe it'll be a happy new year to dh
#20 of 170 Old 12-19-2004, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

I'll catch up on this thread in a bit...we were in a car accident after church and I'm sore!

#21 of 170 Old 12-19-2004, 06:50 PM

Oh no! Megan I hope you're ok! *prayers!*

Thomi's mommy: That was my first clue that something might be amiss. I noticed it 2-3 days after, because you can never really be sure on the day after. Now, it's gone from EW to creamy, so I don't know if I was just imagining things. Gah!

Today we went to the store, and I wanted to go check out pregnancy tests, but dh was with me, and that would have tipped him off I think.
#22 of 170 Old 12-22-2004, 01:02 AM

Hi Everyone,
I've been posting on MDC for almost 2 years now (Jakob was born Feb 2003), but kind of sporadically since summer when I started back at college. This is my first time posting on TTA threads. I just got my first ppaf this past August and started charting for the first time. My husband has finally agreed to start TTC#2 in March 2005 so I'll only be TTA for a couple more months. The idea is I can concieve March/April 2005 or thereabouts so I can continue in oollege while pregnant for at least all or most of 2005. That is the plan. We've been TTA but we haven't always been that great about going by my chart and being extremely cautious. Sometimes we dtd during my fertile time and only use foam (like last week for example two days before "O"). Right now I wouldn't mind getting pregnant but it would really be ideal to be more careful and not conceive until a couple of months from now as we have planned. Someone mentioned on another thread lambskins are supposed to be much better than regular latex condoms, so I think I'll be trying those.
You know, it's been such a relief reading all the posts in this thread and the older thread, and seeing that I'm not the only one who thinks I might be pregnant every month...symptoms and all. I had this even when I hadn't had ppaf yet for months and months. Here is a peak at my chart for anyone interested...it's been interesting to see how it is getting more regular since my first ppaf...first cycle very long, an annovulatory cycle, and two basically very normal ones..
My Ovusoft charts
See you all around.
Megan, hope you're feeling okay since the car accident and all.
April

#23 of 170 Old 12-22-2004, 03:24 AM - Thread Starter

I'm feeling good today. I was a tad sore yesterday.

I guess af showed. I've had quite a bit of bleeding but NO cramping or pain. Its kinda weird.

#24 of 170 Old 12-22-2004, 10:37 AM

Hey, having just reread this thread, it seems that although we're all calling it TTA, nobody here would be unhappy if they WERE pg! Although there would be some unhappy DHs (like mine would be too!). So, I wonder if we are telling ourselves that we're using NFP, but are all secretly hoping for accidents! When I look closely at my own motives, I think that it could be true for me. In fact, I would love to be pg again, it's only DH who is clear headed enough to see that we couldn't really cope right now.

Having said that, fertility friend seems to think I O'd on the 18th, which would coincide with the crampy feeling I get some months. Which means that we indulged in risky behaviour on both the 16th and 17th.

Does anybody else out there worry that they're pregnant pretty much every month? Or should I say "hope" every month, even though I'm supposed to be TTA?

Alison
#25 of 170 Old 12-22-2004, 12:22 PM

No, I only worry if I'm not sure when I Oed, and if I have symptoms.
#26 of 170 Old 12-22-2004, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone
No, I only worry if I'm not sure when I Oed, and if I have symptoms.
Oh, I can imagine symptoms with the best of them!

Alison
#27 of 170 Old 12-22-2004, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison
Does anybody else out there worry that they're pregnant pretty much every month? Or should I say "hope" every month, even though I'm supposed to be TTA?
I call that the "freak out" time of every month. I mean literally EVERY month! Before I got pg with Bryce every month I hoped and prayed. I did nothing to trick my dh though (despite what some ppl here may think). I had had 2 early losses and I was dying to have a baby. After we had had Tracy I said I was done with one. Then I had 2 unplanned pgs/losses and I wasn't the same.

Now I think I would be upset to get pg again. It would change rather quickly to excitement though and then chage back to dread. Its a crazy thing fertility!

#28 of 170 Old 12-22-2004, 03:52 PM

Alison, I know what you mean. Since I've never been pg, I'm not sure what it feels like, or if I'll know. I have always thought that I would simply *know* if I've concieved, but after last month, I'm not so sure. I had weird tummy twinges, and sore boobs, and funny CM, and other tiny things. The only thing I know for sure were real were the sore boobs! OMG, they're still sore! *cringe* But every other symptom is gone. Which makes me think I'm not pg. I'm a little disappointed, but I'm taking the pragmatic view, and saying that I know we'll get pg when the time is right. Until then, we're TTA. Now, if af doesn't show up in 5 days, I'm getting a test!
#29 of 170 Old 12-22-2004, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison
Hey, having just reread this thread, it seems that although we're all calling it TTA, nobody here would be unhappy if they WERE pg! Although there would be some unhappy DHs (like mine would be too!). So, I wonder if we are telling ourselves that we're using NFP, but are all secretly hoping for accidents! When I look closely at my own motives, I think that it could be true for me.

Alison
I've been reading this thread but hadn't posted yet--but what you said really is true for me! In fact I'm not even sure if we should continue using NFP because I know a large part of its success/failure rate is based on motivation, and I am honestly not that motivated to not get pregnant. Or should I say, the logical parts of my brain is motivated to TTA. I know we shouldn't get pregnant again (now, or maybe ever) because I'm not sure I can handle this newborn no-sleep stage again, we don't have the money to pay our midwife again or buy a minivan that we would need rather than our small cars, and because I always see moms of 3 or more kids and cringe at how chaotic their lives are, thinking that I couldn't cope with that at all. But then there is that other part of me, that deeper emotional impulsive core, that really wants to be pregnant and have another baby. And the only way that would happen is an oops, so...

In the past I have spent the end of every cycle wondering it I could be pregnant, but that was on other methods of BC. Charting made me feel more sane because I could actually see what was going on, could see the temp drop that coincided with AF and know that there was no way I was PG. But that was with clear ovulatory cycles. This postpartum breastfeeding charting has me completely confused.

Which leads to my related question--I haven't had a PPAF yet, but I've had weird symptoms for about the last week. So even though my chart is giving me absolutely no indications of ovulating or a PG, I am wondering about it constantly. What do you do when your chart and your mind/heart conflict? Do you waste the money on a PG test just for the peace of mind even if there is, like, 0% chance of being PG? ARGH! Help!

Tara
#30 of 170 Old 12-22-2004, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Do you waste the money....yes. It is totally worth it!

I've only charted while bfing so I don't know any different. Of course, my afs start back up between 6 and 8 weeks pp. I also O pretty fast pp too.

Your chart won't alwyas tell you pg. I think bfing makes it a whole new world!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page