Can you feel your IUD? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-04-2005, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe this is TMI, but I got the Mirena last August and I swear that I can feel that sucker inside my uterus.

If I'm sitting scrunched up or twist in an awkward position I can feel *something* inside the uterus, and it sometimes feels a little oogy/crampy. I can't stop thinking about it and worrying that it's going to damage something in there.

I just saw my midwife for my yearly checkup and she said that everything looked the way it should and there were no problems. When I told her about the sensations I was having she said that there was no physical way I could feel the IUD.

But I'm feeling it right now! I keep thinking these awful things about it scraping and poking around (sorry, overactive imagination).

Do any other IUD users have this experience? Am I nuts? Is it psychosomatic? I wish it would stop!

I'm at the point that I want to get it taken out because I can't get my mind off of it. It feels weird to have something foreign in my body all the time.

- Jen
#2 of 13 Old 02-04-2005, 01:44 PM

I'm trying to bend into wierd postions to see.....

Whether it works for me or not, you should get it taken out. If you feel uncomfortable with it, get rid of it. Trust your instincts.
#3 of 13 Old 02-04-2005, 01:45 PM

I could never feel mine when I had it - I'd definitely go with the pp's advice!

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#4 of 13 Old 02-04-2005, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, that's where I'm leaning. I really do have too active of an imagination because most of this worry is all in my head.

Maybe I'll stick it out for the summer, as I already asked to have it out for my birthday in September

I'm still curious to hear if anyone else can feel it. Maybe I just have a really sensitive uterus? I have no idea. :LOL

- Jen
#5 of 13 Old 02-04-2005, 01:49 PM

I haven't felt mine... but now you have me thinking all sorts of weird thougths. I agree it is physically impossible to be feeling it- your uterus doesn't have those kind of nerves. Did you see it before they inserted it? It looks so little and harmless- I worry more that it can't possibly be doing anything and I am going to get pregnant. Of course my husband jokes that this is highly unlikely as he is pretty sure you have to have sex to get pregnant.

Maureen
#6 of 13 Old 02-04-2005, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMoMpls
I haven't felt mine... but now you have me thinking all sorts of weird thougths. I agree it is physically impossible to be feeling it- your uterus doesn't have those kind of nerves. Did you see it before they inserted it? It looks so little and harmless- I worry more that it can't possibly be doing anything and I am going to get pregnant. Of course my husband jokes that this is highly unlikely as he is pretty sure you have to have sex to get pregnant.
I did see it, and it is so tiny! They even had one you could touch and play with to see how flexible it is. Maybe I'm just having constant low-level cramps or something, and I'm mistaking these for direct sensation.

Before my son I never got menstrual cramps, and the only period I've had since his birth was the spotting after getting the Mirena. The cramps were horrible, I had never felt anything like them! Now I understand why women go home sick from work from cramps, I was getting nauseous sitting at my desk the day I got it inserted.

Maybe I'll take some ibuprofin and suck it up

- Jen
#7 of 13 Old 02-06-2005, 01:52 AM

I've had it for about a year and never felt a thing. I agree that you should get it checked just to make sure: mabe they could do an ultrasound?
#8 of 13 Old 02-07-2005, 04:07 AM

I never felt mine either, but I was definitely more crampy when I had it. So maybe you are right, maybe that's what you are feeling and interpreting as feeling the IUD. And it could be a little psychosomatic too, although I tend to feel that you should trust whatever your body is telling you. But I have an overactive imagination here too, so for instance if I feel crampy for no apparent reason, I associate that with early pregnancy and I weird myself out thinking I am pregnant even though I know logically that I am not, and then other symptoms start appearing... At this point, I've done it so many times and wasted so much money on pregnancy tests that I know not to trust that particular instinct no matter what, and just wait it out until there is evidence to the contrary. So, the point of my long-winded story is that you know yourself best! If talking to others is enough to make you feel more comfortable then that is awesome, but if you feel something isn't right, get it looked at again or taken out. Good luck!

Tara
#9 of 13 Old 02-08-2005, 10:09 PM

I agree with the other posters, if you feel leery about it, have it removed. When I had mine in I could never feel it. but, I kept getting sick. I'd get sick every 2-3 weeks. Finally, I had it removed and within 2 weeks, I didn't get sick again! I think it was my body/mind/spirit telling me to ditch it.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#10 of 13 Old 02-08-2005, 10:17 PM

Your midwife is wrong. Your uterus has nerves so of course it would be possible to feel it. When I had mine I had terrible pain from it, and got an infection and had to have it removed. I could feel that it was there. It felt like pressure. If you are having these sensations now and never have before I'd probably have it removed, or at least an ultrasound to make sure everything is OK.
#11 of 13 Old 02-13-2005, 07:49 AM

You know I was going to have a Mirena IUD inserted, but when my ob/gyn did a quick ultrasound to measure my uterus... I was too small to have it placed. She said my uterus was literally too small for it to be comfortable and it would just end up poking me and being extremely uncomfortable.
#12 of 13 Old 02-13-2005, 11:27 PM

I also think I can feel my iud. I don't know that I feel it in my uterus it's more like I can feel it against my cervix. I also asked at my yearly and again on another visit because it makes me nervous. I was assured that everything was fine and was told that there was no way I could feel it. However, as I am sitting here I swear I can feel it.
#13 of 13 Old 02-23-2005, 02:00 PM

I dunno if i am feeling it or not, but every once in a while when i sit in a certain position I get a sharp pain in there...i'm gonna call my mw and ask what that is. I also had horrible pain during intercourse (it was the first time since I had my baby) and afterwards when I peed it hurt. anyone know what this might mean? I'm gonna post this another place too to get a reply.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page