Question about Natural Family Planning - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-07-2005, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mama's...

Ok-so I have 3 beautiful boys and would love to have a daughter one day, but for now (and probably a long time) I don't want to get PG. I was on the Depo shot on and off years ago, but switched to the pill because of concerns of the calcium it depletes from the body. A year or so later (on the pill) I got PG with DS#3! I know I've read a little bit about some kind of Natural family planning, but it seems difficult. Anyone have any ideas or info for me? Maybe a good book to get from the library or a good web site? I went on one site and they wanted you to send money for some kind of packet....? DS#3 is turning 1yrs old this month and I'm getting nervous. Three boys are definetly enough right now :LOL

Thanks in advance!

RayRay

Life Learning Momma to DS17, DS16,DS9jumpers.gifas well a dog, a cat, two birds...ttc babygirl.gif homeschool.gifnamaste.gif
#2 of 12 Old 06-07-2005, 01:48 PM

I'm a bit suprised that nobody has replied.

I'm pretty new to all of this, but the standard book mentioned is Taking Charge of Your Fertility: The Definitive Guide to Natural Birth Control, Pregnancy Achievement, and Reproductive Health (Revised Edition)
by Toni Weschler. I've ordered it and been very impressed. It a bit long, but quite comprehensive. I think your library should have it.

Good luck!
#3 of 12 Old 06-09-2005, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanx Cole...

I'll look at my library and see if they have it.

Life Learning Momma to DS17, DS16,DS9jumpers.gifas well a dog, a cat, two birds...ttc babygirl.gif homeschool.gifnamaste.gif
#4 of 12 Old 06-13-2005, 03:40 AM - Thread Starter

bump

#5 of 12 Old 06-16-2005, 09:32 AM

You might want to put a different title on the thread, I know I didn't expect it to be about NFP when I clicked. You might get more responses if you call it "questions about natural family planning" or something!

Alison
#6 of 12 Old 06-16-2005, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Alison...was wondering why I only got one reponse.

RayRay

#7 of 12 Old 06-16-2005, 07:38 PM

I read a good book on it a while back (it helped me conceive DD) the only thing i can remember is the authors last name ; Noftsinger.

Maybe if you googled it, you could find it...Good luck~~~~K

Whatever will be, already is...

#8 of 12 Old 06-17-2005, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

BelovedK-

thanks...I'll look at the library

RayRay

#9 of 12 Old 06-19-2005, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

BUMP

*maybe some web-sites?
*and what are cycle beads?

Thanks

RayRay

#10 of 12 Old 06-20-2005, 12:50 PM

NFP is fairly simple but it has very strict rules to follow to prevent pregnancy. FAM (which is discussed in the first book rec'd to you) is more flexible. I think it is probably the most comprehensive book on the market, defiently worth buying. They have a website as well www.tcyof.com and a chart you can download. I found their chart to be very uer friendly and much easier than charting on a paper chart (for me anyways).

My husband and I worked on this together. When his alarm goes off at 5am he would wake me enough to put the thermometer in and get my temp, which he would then record on the chart. I would chek my first morning cm and my late evening cm and record it on the chart. So when we conceived our last baby (after 13 successful tta cycles) it was both of our faults for slipping on the rules (dtd on cycle day 10 or 11 and I O usually around cd 13-15).

This time around we are following FAM more strictly as wel as using a diaphagm on "safe" days and a diaphragm and condom on high fertility days as a backup to the FAM since we do not want another pg for at least another 5 years.

As long as you follow the rules its as effective or more so than hormonal BC. Those who follow the stricter NFP could probably give you more info on just how effective the methods are.
#11 of 12 Old 06-20-2005, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Jennie,

Hi Thanks for your advice, but the web-site link isn't working. It bring's me to a search screen? I'm definetly thinking of asking BF to use condomn's just to be safe because it'll also be years before I'd consider being pregnant again

RayRay

#12 of 12 Old 06-20-2005, 08:28 PM

I second the recommendation for Toni Weschler's book--it really describes the Fertility Awareness Method very clearly. FAM works well, especially if you are willing to use condoms as backup. I used it for a year after I stopped taking the pill until I was ready to get pregnant, and then I used it to help me get pg when I wanted to. I think the link from the pp should be www.tcoyf.com, which has some information and a downloadable chart to use for tracking your cycle, but it really makes more sense after you read the book.

Cycle beads are basically a visual reminder of when your fertile days are. They really only work if your cycle is very regular and 26-32 days or so in length. The beads are different colors to let you know when your fertile and infertile days are likely to be, and you move a charm to keep track of what day you are on. Try www.cyclebeads.com. HTH!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page