NEGATIVE results when, in fact, you actually WERE pregnant? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-18-2005, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sigh of relief for Bears and TLO
Fingerscrossed for everyone else who is waiting, may the results shine in your favor. . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2005, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, dalai
Old 06-30-2005, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
It's been a while since anyone posted on this thread....hope this finds someone. I wasn't sure I'd find any appropriate threads for asking this same question - but here it is!
Last time AF came to visit was 5/18, so today was day 44 (sorry, it's going to take some practice picking up the lingo here.) DD2 is almost 2.5 yrs & still bf. 44 days is a loooong time for no AF. I've tested a few times - even with First Response - but not the "early" one - and no line, not even faint. I have no idea when I ovulated but there were many, many opportunities for conception On Monday I thought for sure AF was on her way, heavy feeling in my uterine area, sore nips for almost 2 wks when bf, sore lower back, etc.... I'm missing some pregnancy signs that I had with both DD's like prominent veins below my breasts, nausea, etc.
I was so sure AF was on her way on Mon. (neg. test) that I had 1 dental x-ray done, kind of nervous now.
Is it possible that I ovulated really, really late in my cycle & the ept just wouldn't detect yet?
Last cycle I had a faint positve on day 39 & m/c on day 41, but I felt like I was pregnant, nauseous, cravings, etc. I wouldn't have known, had I not tested & wasn't ttc, but still slightly bummed.
I'm having the same heaviness feelings & lower back ache right now, but I betcha by morning I'll be feeling nothing....hmmmm.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Old 07-05-2005, 01:54 PM

Posting my own reply here ... I tested again on Cd 45 & still nothing. Still crampy at times, sure AF was lurking, waiting to show up. 4th of July, Cd 48, felt kind of icky so I asked Dp to pick up *another* pack of tests, this time a clear . I don't think I could really be 7 wks already since the test on Cd 45 was negative (FRE) I'm thinking I ovulated really late (reason for sore nips while bf) & have no idea how far along I am

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Old 07-08-2005, 01:08 PM

: : just wanted to say that both times I have been PG I have never been so sure af was right around the corner :LOL

dust.gifmama to  ds2/03 ds2/05 dd4/07 and expecting someone new in the spring! chicken3.gif

Old 07-08-2005, 11:20 PM

That looks goofy! In my first post, I wrote that my test was neg. & when I found out I was pg, I went & changed my siggie (added the poas) so now I have a pos hpt in my siggie that says it was neg - crazy.

Old 07-24-2005, 05:01 AM

Well, I'm going to restart this old thread ....

AF came back at 7 mo pp. My cycles were 35 days pre-pg and they started right back, regular as clockwork. We've been pretty careful, but the b/c method we use is about 80% effective, I think? : I'm now a week late. I took a cheapo, not-to-sensitive test on Friday afternoon . I had some very, very, very light spotting (dark brown) a couple of times since Wednesday, but no other signs of af. What's really got me freaked out, though, is the vein in my breast -- the one whose appearance was my very first sign of my last pg. I never checked to see if it went away post-bf'ing, so I don't know if it's come back again or never went away.

I'm sure as soon as I get good and worked up over this and tell dh, af will show up, but in the meantime I'm maintaining a quiet state of panic.

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

Old 07-25-2005, 08:47 AM

Argh! I took a test yesterday that I was convinced was a faint positive. Took another one that was negative, and the one this morning was negative too. But still no sign of af, and I'm starting to feel .... not right. And the veins in my breasts are still looking very pg. If I haven't started by the weekend, I'm calling my midwife.

Old 07-25-2005, 10:29 AM

It always takes forever for those tests to read positive for me, but I've been as much as two to three weeks late with no worries since afs return this time.

Good luck to you.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Mamas,
Sorry it's taken me so long to check back in on this thread. Sounds like many of us are in (or were) this situation. Heathenmom, please keep us posted. And Meta, congrats.

Gtg, baby crying. Oh, can we discuss the effectiveness of condoms? Or is that another thread? :
Old 08-02-2005, 08:03 AM

Howdy! 19 days late & still no sign of af. I *should* have the results of my blood test back today.

Old 08-02-2005, 04:03 PM

yes had this happen with my first - actually had 2 or 3 negatives at Navy clinic and then turned arond after 3rd time and went directly to wal-mart and took test in bathroom and it showed up immediately positive - RIGHT after having had a neg one at the Navy clinic -go figure-
Old 08-02-2005, 04:25 PM

Low progesterone levels don't really have anything to do with detectability of a pregnancy on a home pregnancy test.

Home pregnancy tests test for the presence of hCG (human choronic gonadotropin), a chemical secreted in blood and urine.

HPTs test for different levels of hCG in the blood, which many people don't know. They're not all alike. Some, like the FREDs (First Response / Early Detection) or FRERs (First Response / Early Results) can detect as little as 50 mIU/ml of hCG, if memory serves (or maybe it's 25, I forget...) versus other HPTs that only detect 100 mIU. In other words, the FRERs are far more sensitive to smaller amounts of hCG, which doubles approximately every 48 hours, so they can tell sooner if you're preggo.

Oh, and as far as the snippy nurse who said that the HPTs were 99% accurate, she's right...accurate for POSITIVE readings, that is. For NEGATIVE readings, they're not so good -- in other words, a positive is a positive is a positive, but a negative does NOT necessarily mean no.

It might just mean maybe -- or not yet detectable. In short, like so many OB nurses, she was full of bushwah.

Here's the best site in the world for these issues: www.peeonastick.com
Old 08-02-2005, 04:28 PM

I got false negatives until 6 weeks after my period was due. It was weird.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:19 PM

I got the results: negative. Hcg level was <2 and progesterone was 0.4. She said that it appears that I just didn't ovulate this cycle, for whatever reason. I haven't decided yet whether I want to take the medication to bring on my period or wait it out. Either way, I just want to cry right now. We certainly weren't trying for a baby, but the idea of it settled into my heart.

User Tag List