can't find answers to 2 NFP ??s - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-18-2005, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there- I have been reading Toni Weschler's book and am anxious to start using FAM for birth control. I am round-the-clock nursing my 12 month old, and haven't gotten my period yet (DS #1 was almost 2 when I got my period again last time).
I have 2 questions I have not been able to find the answers to:
1- Weschler says you need 3 consecutive hours of sleep for an accurate waking basal temperature. I haven't had that since DS #2 was born! He wakes every hour to 2 or so to nurse- I don't wake for more than a few minutes and don't get out of bed.
2- TW says alcohol consumtion affects your temperature as well- I am a moderate drinker- a drink or two every day usually.

How will both of these things affect my temperature accuracy, and will I be able to use FAM/NFP?

Thanks!
#2 of 9 Old 06-19-2005, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee's mama

How will both of these things affect my temperature accuracy, and will I be able to use FAM/NFP?

Thanks!
They will make your temps flucuate too much for it to be accurate. You are going to have to rely more or cervical fluid and position, and not your temps. Not enough sleep and drinking alcohol can cause your temp to be higher than it should.
#3 of 9 Old 06-19-2005, 02:17 AM

Actually, I'd say that they may not affect your temps too much at all. I'd start temping and see what you get. If they vary greatly, then yeah, one of these 2 things could be a factor. I found that even with sometimes interrupted sleep and moderate drinking (not going to bed drunk or anything, just a beer in the evenings) that I was still able to detect ovulation just fine. It depends on how sensative your body is.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#4 of 9 Old 06-20-2005, 01:00 PM

I'm the same way--I often don't have three hours of sleep. I find however that it's still pretty evident from my temps what's going on. I will generally temp the second time that DS wakes me (the first time being midnight, so not very long after I go to sleep), and it can be anywhere from 3 am to 6 am, and my chart still shows a definite temp rise at ovulation. Probably not as large a rise as if I was sleeping through the night every night!

Don't know about the drinking though, I'm not much of a drinker, so it's not an issue with my temps. You should just start temping and see what your temps look like before worrying about the lack of sleep etc, as a PP suggested.

Alison
#5 of 9 Old 06-20-2005, 04:41 PM

I also don't think those two things will affect your temps much. I find that as long as I haven't been out of bed in several hours, it doesn't matter how much I've tossed and turned or woken to nurse. I take my temps at the same time every day (when DH leaves for work he hands me my thermometer) and my temps are very consistent within .5 degrees. I haven't gotten PPAF back yet but I'm sure the temp shift will be apparent.

Also, if you have the same amount of alcohol every day, like a drink with dinner for example, then I think it would be a consistent factor in your temping and shouldn't throw it off. It's not the same as having no alcohol usually and then suddenly drinking 5 beers one night... that would definitely screw up your temps!

I would definitely chart the other factors too (CM and CP) so you can cross check them all though. Charting when you have lactational ammenhorrhea can be confusing and it's good to have as much info as possible. You can join us in the TTA thread for more advice!
#6 of 9 Old 06-20-2005, 05:17 PM

I found that when I was nursing my temps were very erratic UNTIL just before my fertiliy resumed - i.e. they showed the typical 'infertile' chart. As my 1st post-partem period approached - my temps settled down and then showed a typical by-phasic pattern. My luteal phase was also greatly shorted during the first few cycles. However, my fertility resumed fairly quickly 7months, 7 months and 5 months respectively - this was with ecological b/f no less! The longer you go without a cycle the greater likelyhood that your first cycle will be fertile. CM will be your best sign of resuming fertility - but it can be difficult to identify during b/f if you have never charted before. Good luck with your charting.
#7 of 9 Old 06-20-2005, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the advice! I'm going to start charting- I'm encouraged by your response.
#8 of 9 Old 06-21-2005, 02:24 PM

I, too, drink moderately and find that if I stay consistent with how much I drink, my temps are consistent as well. I note if I drink more/less or later than usual and can always see the difference. I also am awakened often with my 2 year old, but only notice a rise in temps from it if I am out of bed (to go to the bathroom or something) or if both children actually lay on me all night. HTH!

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#9 of 9 Old 06-21-2005, 02:32 PM

I night nursed and drank while temping, and it did not make a difference in my temps at all.
I think it would make a difference if say, you never drink, then one night went out and got blasted drunk.
But 1 or 2( or even 3 drinks) shouldnt make a difference.
And if you arent actually getting out of be repeatedly I dont think nursing should matter either.

I temped, and my temps looked fine, and occasionally there was the one funky temp caused by sick kids where I was really up ALL night, but just normal night nursing was fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page