ovualtion without temp spike? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-25-2005, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, one my professors (sociology) told me that NFP is not really safe because it is possible to ovulate without a temp spike. She claims to know ppl who've gotten pregnant this way.
Has anyone heard this? Is there any evidence out there to this effect? I've been charting for 8 months, and I've had 4 temp rises, but many fertile patches. Am I not as safe as I thought? I'm ok with it, if so, but I have my doubts.
#2 of 9 Old 07-01-2005, 01:41 AM

Hmm, I know people who have a slow rise so the actual day of ovulation is a little tougher for them to distinguish, but their temp still goes up eventually. I'd like to hear from other people about this...

In your case it sounds like you are just not ovulating regularly. It's possible to have fertile patches that do not result in ovulation--especially if you are nursing, postpartum, stressed, travelling, sick, etc. Your body has to create enough hormone to reach a threshold level to release the egg. As the hormones build up you start to see signs of fertility, but many things can interfere with this process and stop it before the egg is released. When that happens your body tries again later. I've always heard that the only way to definitively know you ovulated was to see the temp rise.
#3 of 9 Old 07-03-2005, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, that's what I've read too. I am stressed and we get sick frequently. I've gotten to the point that I can predict when I'm going to get sick by watching my chart. I've even noticed a difference in my periods when I've ovulated and when I haven't.
#4 of 9 Old 07-03-2005, 09:39 PM

It makes sense that your period should be different if you O or not. Seems like if you O then the lining of the uterus would get thicker so the period would be heavier than if you didn't O. Is that what you notice?
#5 of 9 Old 07-04-2005, 01:05 AM

I think it's possible to ovulate and the temperature not spike. This is the case with me and my cycles were very regular. So, I just use the fertile mucous as a guide and it works. I got pregnant when I wanted to and not before.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#6 of 9 Old 07-04-2005, 03:27 PM

Hmmm.... I wonder if you've shown a temp spike in the past then you always will? Or if you don't then you never will? Or can it change from showing the temp spike to not showing it???

:

Naomi, mama to Faith (12/03) and Hannah (12/06) and Kai, a homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg on 5/15/10
#7 of 9 Old 07-08-2005, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adenlilysmama
It makes sense that your period should be different if you O or not. Seems like if you O then the lining of the uterus would get thicker so the period would be heavier than if you didn't O. Is that what you notice?
yes. In fact this month, I thought I had, but I got sick immediately afterward, so temps were pretty useless. Kind of irrelevant because I was too sick to do anything with dh. My non O cycles are longer and this one was shorter, but af was lighter than the o cycles. Eh, I guess I can;t know everything.
#8 of 9 Old 07-08-2005, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempestjewel
Hmmm.... I wonder if you've shown a temp spike in the past then you always will? Or if you don't then you never will? Or can it change from showing the temp spike to not showing it???

:
I don;t think anything is that permanent.

When I was younger (10-15), I had precise 24 day cycles. As i got older,t hey got longer. I was on and off bc for a few years. when I started ttc, my cycles were 35ish days long, with obvious temp spikes. now my cycles are 30ish days with few temp spikes. Things change.
#9 of 9 Old 07-16-2005, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bens_mommie
I don;t think anything is that permanent.

When I was younger (10-15), I had precise 24 day cycles. As i got older,t hey got longer. I was on and off bc for a few years. when I started ttc, my cycles were 35ish days long, with obvious temp spikes. now my cycles are 30ish days with few temp spikes. Things change.
When you stopped having temp spikes did you still ovulate? My question is, and maybe I didn't ask very clearly before, is that if you've always charted and shown temp spikes after ovulation (no matter what the length of your cycle), could your body suddenly stop showing temp spikes but still be ovulating?

Naomi, mama to Faith (12/03) and Hannah (12/06) and Kai, a homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg on 5/15/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page