NFP while BFing??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-30-2005, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I'm new to NFP so I need to read up...don't hate me if I ask stupid questions. I just had Dc#3 (a surprise) and although I wouldn't change a thing, I would like to avoid another one! I'm planning on long term Bfing and of cours that throws off "normal" signs of fertility. I cannot take any hormonal birth control, although I am going to try the progesterone only pill (is that right?) when I go back for my 6 week check up. I don't expect it to work, so I thought I'd post here to have this plan in place too.

Well 2 of the kids are crying...like I'll eveer have time to get pg again anyway!

Mandy, Jesus loving, homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding, non-vaxing, food growing, homeschooling, hippy mama of 4.
#2 of 4 Old 07-14-2005, 04:13 PM

for the first six months, if you dont' get your period, there is only a 1% chance of getting pregnant, which is a lot better odds than the typical use on the pill. After that i think it goes up to a 6% chance but if you use the fertility awarness method you can bring it back down. its just really annoying to use while breastfeeding because yoru body tries to ovulate and shows signs of being fertile and then doens't ovulate. so you have a lot of days that look fertile so you can't have sex but end up being nothing @@
#3 of 4 Old 07-20-2005, 11:44 PM

Don't forget the numbers only apply if you are ecologically breastfeeding. The phase I standards for ecological breastfeeding are:
1. Do exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months of life; don't use other liquids and solids.
2. Pacify your baby at your breasts.
3. Don't use bottles & pacifiers.
4. Sleep with your baby for night feedings.
5. Sleep with your baby for a daily-nap feeding.
6. Nurse frequently day and night, and avoid schedules.
7. Avoid any practice that restricts nursing or separates you from your baby.

Phase II begins when baby starts taking other solids or liquids. The standards for Phase II are the same as Phase I, with the obvious exception of #1.

Ecological breastfeeding standards from Sheila Kippley's book Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing.

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#4 of 4 Old 08-02-2005, 02:56 PM

we have 6 kiddos and tried NFP when we conceived #6. I too would like to have a few years gap since my oldest is only 8 and we have 6 but I've obviously got to learn more - have thought about calling local catholic church and seeing when they offer a course - also found some people locally who teach it!

but quite frankly I enjoy my hubbys *attention* and worry about having too much desire during fertile time

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page