When is it safe to have unprotected sex after ovulation? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-06-2005, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Right now dh and I are mostly using condoms. We have started to slowly use more NFP methods. I have a long, predictable cycle so I know the first week after my period is safe. My mucous is also a pretty reliable indictator as are other things like mood and skin problems. I haven't graduated to temping yet (how do you do that anyway? Do I really have to read a whole book?). Anyway, we use protection the second week after my period, just to be safe and the rest of the month. But I am wondering if there is any safe period AFTER ovulation where we can have unprotected sex or is there a risk of pregnancy from ovulation all the way until the first day of my period?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 07-06-2005, 02:08 AM

You are safe 3-4 days after your peak cervical mucous. That said, it might be better to back up with temping if you really aren't planning on getting pregnant right now. That is a little safer in being sure you have ovulated.
#3 of 5 Old 07-06-2005, 03:44 AM

If I had high temps for 3 days and then a complete dry up, I would consider myself safe. Be very, very careful, though before ovulation. I've read that sperm can only live 3 days, but they lived 5 in my case. Next time (and we will use NFP next time, this sweet baby was my fault, not the NFPs) I'll not be able to be unprotected before O at all, as I ovulate early in my cycle.

As for temping. It's really helpful to temp. You could just start temping at the same time (approximately) every morning, and then chart it and look for patterns from month to month. I think you really need about 6 months of charting to really see what's happening.

Good luck!
#4 of 5 Old 07-06-2005, 09:28 PM

You are actually safer after ovulation--provided that you determined ovulation using cervical mucus/peak day and/or temping--than you are in that first week after your period! We were using short-cut "rules" (that is, not observing any cervical mucus until a predetermined date--based on 8 years of charting with no ovulation previously before day 21) and that is how baby #3 came along. Yes, after that many years of being predictably long, my cycles became shorter. Just thought I'd let you know!!

The reason you are safer after ovulation is because you would be actually observing your current cycle, rather than relying on an assumed safety based on past cycles. The day you ovulate can always fluctuate, no matter how punctual it has been in the past.

Also, bleeding cannot always be assumed to be a period (not matter how much it feels/looks like one) without documented ovulation ~10-16 days or so previously.

In addition, the effectiveness of NFP in preventing pregnancy--and I'm just talking about NFP involving rules for having sex AFTER ovulation (as determined by observation, not merely by dates)--is well documented. 98-99% or even a little higher.

So I say, go for it! Start charting and you can rely on your observations to help prevent pregnancy.
Best wishes,
Molly
#5 of 5 Old 07-11-2005, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

For some reason I am not getting this sent to my email even though my CP says I am subscribed. Grr, all this time I thought no one replied! Anyway, as far as temping goes, I look for the highest temp as the day of ovulation?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page