Questions for Paraguard IUD users--TMI warning - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-17-2005, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got my IUD at 8 weeks postpartum, back in Nov 2003. I just got my cycle back in April, and for the first 2 months everything was great.

Last month I had a lot of lot of nausea during ovulation. My period came but it was weird--just spotting for 2 days. And then, on day three, it was SO heavy. It lasted for about 6 days all together. Now, I'm ovulating again and I am very nauseated. Is this an IUD thing? I have also been having some discharge similar to when i was pregnant (i'm not, just a comparison) and a tiny bit of spotting.

Throughout the past month to two months, i've been having aches on each side and in my lower abdomen. Not painful, just annoying.

I'm going to make an appointment with my midwife--but if you used this iud, did you experience anything like this?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 07-17-2005, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
No, I had one for years and never had a problem. It would be wise to get checked out. Could be ectopic pregnancy. I hope not.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#3 of 10 Old 07-18-2005, 09:56 PM

Since this could be a more serious issue, I just want to say that I'm glad you are seeing the midwife about it. However, I had an IUD put in when my son was 5 or 6 months old and I have had a very similar experience with nausea and bleeding and discomfort. My son is now almost 29 months old so this has been happening for a while! In my case, I have actually wondered if there were months that I did conceive but that the iud interrupted the implanation at some point. Not every month is like this though which is why I wondered about the possibility of occassional pregnancy with the iud. I have yet to find concrete information about this though. And in general, my period has been significantly heavier with the use of the iud. It's pretty much been a bummer for me the entire time. I don't know if I'd choose this route again. Hope everything is okay with you.
Sending youall my best.
#4 of 10 Old 08-22-2005, 07:19 PM

Your experience sounds pretty similar to mine, though I haven't been charting. the possiblity of occasional undetected pregnancy has me a little concerned as well. Does anyone know where I might seek further information?
#5 of 10 Old 08-25-2005, 12:33 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Tha'ts so scary. I have been using the Paraguard IUD for about 4 months now but haven't had my first AF(dd is ebf and 7 months) yet. I've had random day-long or two day long very light spotting occasionally but nothing else. That's so scary to have nausea and pain that often. Ya'll have made me want to have mine taken out now.

Meg

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#6 of 10 Old 08-28-2005, 08:27 PM

do you think one could have the paraguard iud without one's partner realizing it? that is, if your husband thinks having 10,000 babies is just fine, but you're about to have your 3rd in 3 years and you can't handle another right now... i know, bigger issues than birth control, but i am wondering about the iud. i heard there's a string or something?
#7 of 10 Old 08-29-2005, 12:40 AM

Yeah, there is a string. You use the string to check that the IUD is still in place and the dr uses the string to remove the IUD later on. My dr left the string pretty long, so my dh can sometimes feel it. I've found that the string tends to get a little wound up and sits up close to my cervix most of the time, so it's rare that my husband can tell it's there. I'm not sure he would have noticed it if he didn't already know it was there.

They *can* leave the string shorter, though, and lots of guys never notice it anyway.

I've had mine for about 3 years now and I haven't had many side effects from mine. Mostly, it seems to exaggerate things - heavier flow, more cramps (when I have any at all). It's effective, inexpensive, and a heck of a lot better than the Pill.
#8 of 10 Old 02-23-2006, 06:35 PM

If you're contunually feeling sick with each cycle, you may need to got get tested for low Estrogen levels. Heavier cycles, and heavy cramping is one of the side effects of having an IUD. It's typical for the first few months of having an IUD to have heavier than normal bleeding. You have to remember that an IUD is a form of barrier method. If you feel that you're pregnant, get a home test kit, get tested at the Docs. office. If the result is positive, visit your Docs office immediately to get the IUD removed. Unfortunately, there's a high risk associated with having a miscarriage after the IUD's removed. If after 6 mos. of having the IUD inserted and it's still giving you problems, you should try another method of birth control.
#9 of 10 Old 11-16-2013, 08:11 AM

there are strings however the device can be inserted and removed without the strings if your doctor is comfortable removing it that way. some doctors need the strings, others don't. all IUDs have the strings, i think. but paraguard is the only non-hormone effective female birth control that i know of. personally i wouldn't do something like that in secret. what if you are one of the few people who have a complication? in that it's easily reversible i guess it isn't the end of the world (different than if you had your tubes tied and didn't tell him, certainly), but you should stand your ground with hubby and make him see your side. your reproductive freedom shouldn't be held hostage by your marriage. i had a friend who faced this problem, she made her husband a powerpoint presentation illustrating how difficult their existing brood was to manage, how much her life would change with another (and how little his life would change), the value of sleep etc., and that way was able to get it all out without (much) interruption, inject a little humor, and demonstrate how important of an issue it really was for her having taken the time to develop the presentation. best of luck to you!

#10 of 10 Old 11-27-2013, 04:20 PM

I'm getting an IUD put in in two weeks and I still feel so confused on which one to get my mom was allergic to the to the copper one. but I have a past history with anxiety depression and bipolar. I took birth control for 6 years and eventually was making me sick and my periods are already pretty heavy with bad cramping. So I'm so confused on what to do please help

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page