Need a short term back up b/c method - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-20-2005, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Long story short...

My Mirena is comming out next month. We will be TTC *but* I want to wait until mid-Sept to stop using any b/c. I'd like to have at least one actual cycle before we stop all b/c. I don't know if charting would work for me because I haven't had a period in 2 years due to Mirena. Also DH dosen't like condoms, and frankly neither do I . Suggestions?

Heather
#2 of 8 Old 07-21-2005, 02:14 AM

Hmm... well, when I had the copper IUD and wanted to wait a few months between removal and TTC'ing, I just began charting when it was in (good way to learn, no mistakes LOL), kept charting to avoid pregnancy for a few months, and then charted to TTC. I don't know if that would work with Mirena though since the low levels of hormone can affect your cycle?
#3 of 8 Old 07-27-2005, 12:39 AM

we use spermicide gel, prefilled applicators. super easy!
#4 of 8 Old 07-28-2005, 01:55 AM

There are also some cool dissolving paper-like spermicides called, I think, VCF. You can buy them at most drug stores. A diaphragm with spermicide might also be an option - but if you're looking for a short term solution you might not want to do through the hassel of getting fitted for one.
#5 of 8 Old 07-28-2005, 02:20 AM

I've used the VCF before. It stands for Vaginal Contraceptive Film. We used it with condoms (I agree with you - yuck!). But it's supposed to be fairly effective on its own according to the box.

I just had my annual and the nurse said that they're bringing back the contraceptive sponge which is supposed to be pretty good according to her. I think the failure rates may be around 20% though. You might want to check it out. It went off the market for while (maybe you remember the "Sponge-worthy" episode of "Seinfeld?") but I believe it was a company/economics thing rather than a problem with the method.

With a diaphragm, I think you have to be refitted every time you have another baby, so if you'll be TTC very soon, it would probably be a waste of time and money to be fitted for one, IMO.

I am going to check out TTA by charting. I am also sort of thinking about using an IUD. Did you like your Merina? I have really heavy, crampy 7-day periods and I will not make them more intense by using the copper one. Just curious if you liked the other one.

The Planned Parenthood website has very comprehensive listings and descriptions of birth control methods. Might want to google them up.

Hope you find a good temp method you and your DP both like.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#6 of 8 Old 07-28-2005, 02:27 AM

I tried vcf a few years ago, and didn't like it. felt like honey or something--less than lubricating, and I'll leave it at that!! Don't usually go into personal details of this nature, but thought I'd share this TMI tidbit anyway!
#7 of 8 Old 07-28-2005, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaJean
we use spermicide gel, prefilled applicators. super easy!
Yep, same here. I have a friend who used the spermicide films, until a little incident lately. She had gone to the bathroom *after* and found that the thing never dissolved and came out just the same as it went in!!! Oh the sleeplessness nights that caused!!!
#8 of 8 Old 08-04-2005, 03:45 PM

The sponges never went away, they just weren't sold in the US! I the Protectaid sponge, and have been using it for six or seven years now. I buy it online from Canada at birthcontrol.com. We got pg on the first try after using the sponge for years.

The high failure rate posted above is based on "actual usage", meaning that many many people plan to use the sponge and then don't insert it. ( ie, it doesn't work if it's sitting on the shelf of your medicine cabinet.) When used correctly, the failure rate is around 8-9%.

more info

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page