Period 2 1/2 months postpartum? Help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-22-2005, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am breastfeeding exclusively (no pacifiers, supplements, etc). I use a sling, I cosleep, I do everything possible to encourage LAM, but after extended post-partum bleeding (mild for 10weeks! Midwife ran tests for placenta fragments, I tested negative), I got what seemed to be a period (I had pms and menstrual cramps) 2 1/2 months postpartum. Now I am distressed. Has this happened to other people? My evil MIL said that something is "wrong" with me and I need to seek medical attention. I'm sure that isn't true, but I was really hoping to at least make it until the baby started solids! Now I am paranoid about pregnancy and not sure if NFP is reliable in this situation. Any advice or condolences?

homebirthing organic mama to three crazy boys very blessed!!
#2 of 10 Old 07-22-2005, 04:22 PM

Hmm... If that really was a period, seems to me like you would almost be better off with NFP than someone without AF. You would simply chart, temps, the whole deal.

If that was not a real AF, that would be another matter. I have heard that some people have 'hormonal bleeding' at around 8 weeks. This actually happened to me: Bled a bit for about 6 weeks, then nothing until some days at 8 weeks pp. Not a period since, although I think my fertility might be returning.

Hope things will get clearer for you soon!

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
#3 of 10 Old 07-25-2005, 02:40 PM

I had pp bleeding for 6 weeks, then what appeared to be a normal period at 8 weeks pp. Nothing else until 7-1/2 mo. pp (when dd went on a month-long nursing strike that led to my milk drying up - ). DH & I were extra-careful from 8 weeks on, though, since I wasn't sure when fertility would return.

HTH

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#4 of 10 Old 07-25-2005, 04:40 PM

I actually had some pp bleeding at 10 weeks. I had 6 weeks of pp bleeding, so when I had more at 10 weeks I was sure that my period had returned. My baby is now 8 months old, though, and nothing since. Soooo, it could have even been some pp bleeding for you still. Even if it is your period that doesn't mean anything is wrong with you. Some people just return to fertility very quickly!
#5 of 10 Old 07-26-2005, 03:01 PM

I'd think it was some pp bleeding yet as well. 8 weeks is awfully early - some people do get it then, but very few.
I think if you were really active or something you could start pp bleeding a little again.
I second the NFP suggestion; then you can see if you're really ovulating or if it's something else going on.
#6 of 10 Old 07-26-2005, 03:10 PM

I think the healthier a woman the sooner AF comes back.
Mine came back just a couple of months after first birth but after the birth of dd#3 it took 7 months because I'm not in the health I was.
#7 of 10 Old 07-27-2005, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

I do eat really healthfully and I have been running. I do think I am ovulating (it is day 13 and I have stretchy mucous). I didn't chart my temp. Not to say that other mamas who don't have their periods aren't healthy though. I am an extreme nutrition addict! When I told my MIL that I got my period she said "something is wrong with you" and that I needed to "see someone" (meaning a "real" doctor and not my midwife). I pointed out to her that while she was breastfeeding my dh, she was also anorexic, a point that she did not appreciate. There was a study done on well nourished South American women regarding LAM. They found that on average they got their periods back around 6 months, even though they were exclusively breastfeeding and carrying their babies in slings and cosleeping. Interesting, huh? I'm just glad I got a heads up before I ovulated!
: (yikes)
Thanks!

homebirthing organic mama to three crazy boys very blessed!!
#8 of 10 Old 07-27-2005, 11:58 PM

When my son was born, I had less than a week of pp bleeding (I was finished before he came home from NICU). I breastfed full time, coslept, carried him everywhere, and looked forward to not getting my period. I got what seemed like a period at 3.5 weeks, and wrote it off. A week and a half later, I ovulated and when BeanBean was 7.5 weeks old I had my second period. I ovulated and menstruated regularly thereafter. Even tandem nursing, I started cycling regularly at three or four months pp. There's nothing wrong with you, everyone is different and some of us are just hyper-fertile. It's all good.

On the up side, you'll definately have an easier time charting, because you *know* that you're having cycles. It's all good.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#9 of 10 Old 08-01-2005, 11:17 PM
Kim

Yep, same story here. Bled pp for 10 weeks and started getting regular periods following immediately.

(Breastfeeding, no supplement, co-sleeping, the works...happened after each child.)

#10 of 10 Old 08-02-2005, 08:05 AM

With both girls I got my period back nine weeks after delivery and it came regularly thereafter. Both were exclusively breast fed and no pacifiers at the time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page