info for a newbie? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-30-2005, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, ladies!

I have 3 questions for you.

1. I have been happily using NFP for almost 15 years. Now a friend wants to learn how and is coming to me for advice about it. I would like to refer her to some good resources but I have NO idea what books, workbooks, classes, videos, web sites, etc. are good these days. She has no prior experience with tracking her fertility.

Any recommendations?

2. Has anyone tried CycleBeads? What did you think?

3. I feel like a real dunce, but I have never been to this forum before and I can't figure out what AF stands for! Obviously it has something to do with menstruating... I am preparing to say DUH!

TIA!!
#2 of 5 Old 07-31-2005, 12:38 PM

AF ia Aunt Flo (Flow, get it? chuckle...)
and I would highly recommend Taking Charge of Your Fertility or better known on the boards as TCOYF by Toni Weschler (sp?) Very easy to follow and so informative.

I don't know about Cycle Beads, because every woman is different. How does it work for different lengths of cycles???

HTH
Shelley

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#3 of 5 Old 07-31-2005, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Shelley!

Well, I don't feel stupid that I didn't think of Aunt Flo.

Cycle Beads, apparently, are based on the "standard days" method -- a useful method only if your cycles are between 26 and 32 days (according to their web site). I would add, you would need to have regular cycles also. Personally, I would not rely on this alone, but it might be a helpful adjunct if you were additionally keeping track of when you ovulate.
#4 of 5 Old 08-01-2005, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodflower
Than
Cycle Beads, apparently, are based on the "standard days" method -- a useful method only if your cycles are between 26 and 32 days (according to their web site). I would add, you would need to have regular cycles also. Personally, I would not rely on this alone, but it might be a helpful adjunct if you were additionally keeping track of when you ovulate.
I've read some of the literature (from studies) about cycle beads. If you have VERY regular cycles that fall w/in the range you cite above, they are pretty effective. Of course, that all goes out the window if you're BFing or doing something else that may tinker w/your cycles. I think they're great for women who fit the above description and don't have access to NFP resources. Your friend would probably be better off learning NFP, which I'm trying to as well!

Janey
#5 of 5 Old 08-03-2005, 12:25 PM

I also highly recommend Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. It's a great resource for anyone starting out in FAM.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page