copper v's mirena IUD- what did you pick? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 66 Old 09-06-2005, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I am really thinking about getting an IUD- I will NOT get my tubes tied and my DH will not get his done either- Really I think we are not sure if we are done at 2 or if we will want more. He hates condoms and so do I. I really dont want anything hormonal but I am wondering why some here have decided on the mirena v's the non-hormonal copper one???

Thanks!!

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

RAINBOW BABY DUE MAY 4th!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 66 Old 09-06-2005, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I had the copper IUD, but this was about 10 years ago and I'm not sure if the Mirena was available then. I plan on getting another IUD after we have a 2nd child and will choose the copper one again. My body just does not react well to hormonal birth control anymore so my whole reason for getting an IUD is to stay away from the hormonal BC methods.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#3 of 66 Old 09-06-2005, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have chosen the Mirena IUD - twice. I used birth control pills and the hormones messed my body up really bad. I was determined not to use hormones; but my OB told me that Mirena's hormones are trace amounts and they stay localized within the uterus (I think this is right), so they don't enter the bloodstream. She also said the Mirena is safe to use while breastfeeding. I got my first Mirena 6 weeks after the birth of my now-3-year old. I had 6 weeks of spotting, then regular periods starting at about 6 months postpartum (I was still breastfeeding), and then by 8 months postpartum my periods stopped except for a day of very light bleeding. (The Mirena stops many women's monthly bleeding because it causes the lining of the uterus to become very thin, which is part of the way it works to prevent implantation.)

Well, a few months later, I decided I wanted another baby! s So I had the Mirena removed in late November, and was pregnant by February. Now I have my second Mirena in place, again inserted 6 weeks postpartum (it is most comfortable then since the cervix is still a bit open so the insertion is easier). I had more weeks of bleeding with the Mirena this time; have no idea why that is. But it stopped and I've had 2 regular periods now, as of 10 months postpartum.
#4 of 66 Old 09-14-2005, 03:00 PM

Mirena
Copper has a tendency to make cramping worse, which I could totally NOT handle!
#5 of 66 Old 09-14-2005, 03:03 PM

I picked the Mirena because I didn't want the heavy, painful periods associated with copper. So far, I love it (one of those, "I can't believe everyone doesn't have one of these!!" kind of loves )

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#6 of 66 Old 09-14-2005, 03:07 PM

Paragaurd (copper). I've only had mine for 2 months. I'm not crazy about the extra spotting, or longer crampier periods though. Maybe in 9 years I"ll think about Mirena :LOL The cramping so far hasn't been any more intense than I remember before pregnancy though, and I was hesitant to add hormones. Good luck.
#7 of 66 Old 09-16-2005, 11:46 PM

I just got the Paraguard also. I in no way wanted hormones. My body freaks out and i gain a bunch of weight.
Got it 2 weeks ago and so far so good. Havent had a period yet, but i would trade more cramps( i usually have none) instead of weight gain and funky moods.
I love it, dont know why more women dont go this way. No worries, no pills, i never think about it.
#8 of 66 Old 09-16-2005, 11:59 PM

Love my Mirena... my second one as well. Used one for 18 months, took it out and got pregnant immediately, got the second at 2 months post baby and have had it since. I did have lots of spotting, both times but that seems like nothing now that I have almost no periods, and the only down side I see is that it is so easy, I constantly worry that it is gone. Boy- do I wish I had this option 10 years ago... I was so horrible about taking the pill, this is so much easier and so little hormone influence.

Maureen
#9 of 66 Old 11-01-2005, 04:09 AM

I have the copper, I have no cramping at all anymore, and my AF is a little heavier, but not bad at all. This is the only type of bc I would even consider now that I've tried it.
#10 of 66 Old 11-01-2005, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I did end up getting one- but I got the merina. For a few reasons...

1.) the cramping and bleeding tend to be less
2.) It was good for 5 years- the other one was 10-12 but I just figured I *should* know what we are going to do in 5 years.
3.) the planned parenthood I went to gets them for free from merina if you fill out a request and I really didn't want to pay or have them pay $400 for the copper one.

It was really easy to get put in- even when the doctor doing had never done one- she was getting trained and that worried me even more, but it was really not painful. I crampped for 3 days- the first night was the wrost and last night I realized I totally forgot I even have one It has been 2 weeks and I fell great!!! So easy and so much less worry!!

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

#11 of 66 Old 11-01-2005, 11:38 AM

To me the IUD is the perfect birth control for couples! I have the copper IUD because hormones and I didn't get along very well the years I was on BCP. I also had mine put in a 6 wks post pardum and wasn't phased by the procedure at all.

I've always had strong cramps but the IUD hasn't added to it. I just take an advil or aleve and its gone.

WOHM to a March 2004 kiddo and a November 2010 toddler. stillheart.gif

#12 of 66 Old 11-01-2005, 09:04 PM

I chose the mirena becasuse I was afraid of the cramps and heavy bleeding that can come along with the copper iud. I also liked the 5 yr option over 10 yrs. Of course either can be taken out at any time. I also felt weird about having something copper in my body, though I guess plastic isn't much better. I like mine, haven't had any complications and I am someone who does not do well with the hormones in bc pills.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#13 of 66 Old 11-01-2005, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonconformnmom
I have chosen the Mirena IUD - twice. I used birth control pills and the hormones messed my body up really bad. I was determined not to use hormones; but my OB told me that Mirena's hormones are trace amounts and they stay localized within the uterus (I think this is right), so they don't enter the bloodstream. She also said the Mirena is safe to use while breastfeeding.
This is the exact reason I got mine. I get horrible awful migraines from messing with hormones. But my doc told me the same, they are trace and localized, don't enter the bloodstream. I didn't have any extra migraines, so it worked!
#14 of 66 Old 11-19-2005, 12:02 AM

Anyone not do well with hormonal bc and go with the Mirena anyway? My doc assures me that the amount is so minimal that it will not affect me. Now I have the Mirena and I don't know what to think! I don't know if I feel like this because this is me or because I have the damn IUD. I think I'm not loving this and need to explore options....hmmm....anyone go with the copper and really have the super heavy crampy periods?
#15 of 66 Old 11-20-2005, 02:01 AM

I have a copper one, and haven't had bad cramps at all. My last period was very heavy (changing super tampons every hour) but the one before that wasn't. : I think my body's still figuring out what normal is-I've always used the pill in the past.

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup
#16 of 66 Old 11-20-2005, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I chose copper both times because I am extremely sensitive to hormones and didn't want to take a chance with the mirena. I havn't suffered any kind of side effects by using the paragard. I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#17 of 66 Old 11-20-2005, 08:33 PM

I had a MIrena for a year and had it taken out b/c I got acne, weight gain and zero sex drive. I don't think these are common complaints but I just saw in another thread here someone complaining of the same side effects.
#18 of 66 Old 12-09-2005, 10:57 AM

I have been looking for this kind of thread!!!!

I got the para IUD yesterday and so far I am a little freaked out. Implanting a foreign object into my body scares the #### out of me. I have been cram[ping a little but nothing major. I seem to be able to feel it though.... maybe its just in my head ? So you all have had decent experiences? Please let me know.
#19 of 66 Old 12-10-2005, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

rianna- I got mine in Sept, and I also cramped after for a few days and also felt like I could feel it. I don't know if it was in my head either- but I know what you are saying. I also don't like having things in my body- but then again, I don't want to be pregnant, not sure if I am done, and the truth is I am too lazy to do anything else.

I don't have a huge sex drive- but that is normal for me, I am BFing and I think that kills it anyway. I have been having major weight loss so, I have not had problems with that. I did have spotting about 6 weeks after I got it but that has been it- no period or anything yet.

I did notice that I get crampy or can have that feeling like I can feel it when I have sex in certin ways.

#20 of 66 Old 12-11-2005, 03:18 PM

I just had the paraguard inserted this past Wed. It was slightly crampy for a couple of days. I sometimes think I feel it, but I mostly think it's in my head. I keep thinking it's a tampon that needs to be replaced. I've noticed more discharge than usual (it started like spotting, then pink, then brownish). I haven't had sex yet and I'm a bit worried about that- also in my head mostly.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#21 of 66 Old 12-12-2005, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter

I was also very worried about having sex. I was scared it would hurt- like after you have a baby and have sex too soon. But it didn't at all... Just wanted to let you know!

#22 of 66 Old 12-12-2005, 02:53 AM

I had a baaad reaction to bcp many years ago & swore off hormones. I've had my mirena for 15months and LOVE it! No complaints, no side effects. I did have a few days of crampiness right after insertion.
#23 of 66 Old 12-12-2005, 03:00 AM

I have the merena, and my mid-wife told me that there were more risks with the copper? I think thats what she said, there was some IUD that had risks that then no longer use, I think. anyways, does anyone have an odor problems since they got their IUD? I find that I am always leaking a little blood, I've had it for 9 months now. I never have sex, and I am single, but since its 5 years, who knows what'll happen. Anyways, the odor from the blood is really getting to me. any suggestions?
#24 of 66 Old 12-12-2005, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmlife3
Anyone not do well with hormonal bc and go with the Mirena anyway? My doc assures me that the amount is so minimal that it will not affect me. Now I have the Mirena and I don't know what to think! I don't know if I feel like this because this is me or because I have the damn IUD. I think I'm not loving this and need to explore options....hmmm....anyone go with the copper and really have the super heavy crampy periods?
I have Paraguard, the copper IUD. I believe the hormones in the Mirena are the same as in Depo Provera. They are mostly progesterone and very little or no estrogen, since estrogen is not safe for breastfeeding. Well, I used Depo Provera one time and it was horrible. I gained weight so fast that my body felt weird to me--like it didn't even have time to adjust to the additional weight. AND I had the worst fatigue and low energy. Anyway, I just felt that even if the hormone levels in the Mirena were less, it would still have an effect that I didn't want.

That said, I don't think everybody will have this problem with progesterone-only birth control. And it sounds like there are some on here who aren't having any trouble. However, I know that it is a known side effect even if you don't hear about it from physicians.

Oh, also, to answer your last question, I am not having heavy or unusual cramping with the copper IUD. I have had some heavy periods and some regular.

{Partner to DH  and Former WOHM, now SAHM  to DD, DD , and DS } *** ***
#25 of 66 Old 12-12-2005, 03:29 AM

Oh, and I meant to point out that if you think about it, progesterone is what your body makes in the luteal phase of your cycle--after ovulation. So, it's not surprising that the effects of more progesterone in your system are lowered sex drive and weight gain.

Again, not that everyone will have this reaction to it.

{Partner to DH  and Former WOHM, now SAHM  to DD, DD , and DS } *** ***
#26 of 66 Old 12-12-2005, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow83
anyways, does anyone have an odor problems since they got their IUD? I find that I am always leaking a little blood, I've had it for 9 months now. I never have sex, and I am single, but since its 5 years, who knows what'll happen. Anyways, the odor from the blood is really getting to me. any suggestions?
The odor of the blood I was having is one of the things that lead me to request a culture. I had an infection and it was treated with a course of antibiotics and the odor went away.
#27 of 66 Old 12-12-2005, 01:57 PM

Quote:
The odor of the blood I was having is one of the things that lead me to request a culture. I had an infection and it was treated with a course of antibiotics and the odor went away.
so once treated did you stop bleeding?
#28 of 66 Old 12-12-2005, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

I also think the odor problem is an infection. I had that same thing (before an IUD- like 6 years ago) and it was an infection- I delt with the smell for months before going in and once I went in I got the meds I needed and it went right away...

#29 of 66 Old 12-12-2005, 09:01 PM

Quote:
I got the meds I needed and it went right away...
[QUOTE]
So are the meds able to be taken if breastfeeding? The odor is only there when the spotting occurs, but I seem to always be spotting.
#30 of 66 Old 12-12-2005, 10:32 PM

Yes, I stopped bleeding within a few days. The odor was only present when bleeding. This is all new to me and am currently bleeding again but I think it is a period- no odor. Will post if any new developments.
I took an antibiotic that was approved while breastfeeding. I also loaded myself up on some good probiotics and used an infant blend probiotic with my ds in some expressed milk.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page