My IUD fell out - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 11-30-2005, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I had it in for 13 days. That's it. My lovely expensive Mirena that required 2 hours of waiting in the waiting room and then 3 medical students learning by staring at my vagina freaking fell out. I was standing talking to my mom when I felt something poke my vagina, and I stuck my hand in my underwear and could feel the strings at the outside of my vagina. I went home and pulled it out. It is now in a ziploc waiting until I can call the midwife tomorrow.

So, I assume you can't put the same one back in. Should I try to get another one? Or is it that once you have one fall out, it is unlikely that it will work? I am torn. On one hand I was relieved to have it out b/c it is weird to have this thing in my body. But on the other hand, I was really looking forward to not messing around with charting and the possibility of getting pregnant. We don't want another child for a long time.

What the heck should I do?

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 12-01-2005, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would assume that the old one is trashed as it is no longer sterile. What a bummer. I hope you get some answers b/c I have NO idea what the scoop is on this one.
#3 of 20 Old 12-01-2005, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Well, apparently 30% of women expel their IUDs, but usually it is quickly after insertion or because it was too soon after pregnancy or termination. I told the one midwife that the resident put it in. The other midwife who does all the IUDs is going to call me. Mainly I just care about which birth control I can use next.

BTW, I love your senior title. It cracks me up whenever I see it!

#4 of 20 Old 12-15-2005, 01:53 AM

My Mirena IUD fell out on Monday too! I had mine for 6 months though. I am also having many symptoms of being pregnant!! Is this common?
#5 of 20 Old 12-15-2005, 02:16 AM

uggg.. no they can't recycle your iud. They had to use 2 when I had mine put in b/c the first one was crooked... that was fun!! :

Good luck with your iud. I have already decided if this one falls out I'm not getting another one. But i'm not sure what i would do for bc.

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#6 of 20 Old 12-15-2005, 02:39 AM

My Mirena IUD fell out in March of this year. I found out when I went to my dr. that it happened as a result of a miscarriage. I of course did not even know I was pregnant. In fact my period had not ever returned. The miscarriage opened my cervix and so I lost the IUD.

I had it inserted 6 weeks postpartum and had been using it for over a year and a half when I lost it.

I personally will never use an IUD again.
#7 of 20 Old 12-15-2005, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

This is an interesting idea. When I had the IUD put it, the doctor said I had a very thick uterine lining, like I was about to get my period, but I didn't feel like I was. They did a pg test the day of insertion, which was negative. When the IUD fell out, I bled heavily for a day or two. Maybe it was an early miscarriage? Who knows.

Well, for now, we are just using good old "pull and pray" as our BC method. Same as last time, which actually worked well. I guess I'll get my basal thermometer out...

#8 of 20 Old 12-15-2005, 01:22 PM

Oh, my! (says the owner of two Mirena iuds, the first of which gave me no trouble and the second of which I am hoping is still sweetly nestled in the cushy lining of my ute ... )
#9 of 20 Old 08-17-2008, 09:36 PM

I have had my mirena for 8 months and today i have came to find out that it is no good went to the restroom and found it in the stole it was a wast of time and money to get it i am very pissed off about it cause i dont want anymore kids me and my husband has 3 kids so now we have to talk to the docter about it an see what she is going to say.
#10 of 20 Old 08-22-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaMama View Post
My Mirena IUD fell out in March of this year. I found out when I went to my dr. that it happened as a result of a miscarriage. I of course did not even know I was pregnant. In fact my period had not ever returned. The miscarriage opened my cervix and so I lost the IUD.
I had mine for 3.5 years. Mine went missing sometime between Jan and June (between my pap and when I got pregnant). I had a really weird period in March and I think that's when it came out. Now I can't help but wonder if that weird period was really an early miscarriage (I had cramps, heavy bleeding and contractions--totally out of the norm for me).

I also will bever use an IUD again.

~Danelle~ Mama to four wonderful, intact kiddos ~~ Cami (10), Jimmy (5), Ella & Alex (2/09), and Newbie due 8/11 
#11 of 20 Old 08-30-2008, 04:57 PM

Mine came out after just 2 weeks. But mine was just poking out of my cervix. It really hurt - poking into soft tissue & lots of cramping from a slightly opened cervix. That was the most expensive 2 weeks of bc...

To top it all, the ANP who inserted it said it probably came out b/c my uterus was very small. He said he had trouble positioning it correctly. So maybe my uterus is different from his external sex organs, but nobody want to be told their parts are "very very small." In hindsight 3 years later I laugh, but he really ticked me off at the time. Here I am in pain, having my parts poked & proded to make sure there wasn't any other problems causing the pain, out $600 and told I am tiny.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#12 of 20 Old 08-30-2008, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yikes! I had an IUD for 1 year, and than got pregnant with IUD still intact. We removed the IUD, and baby held on, we named her Faith.

Andi - roller derby, slave to the hoop, birth junkie, lover of love, single mama of 4
#13 of 20 Old 08-30-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson45 View Post
Yikes! I had an IUD for 1 year, and than got pregnant with IUD still intact. We removed the IUD, and baby held on, we named her Faith.
DBF was reading the insert that came with my diaphragm last night and was surprised that the Mirena- which we'd relied on for the previous 3 years alone- has a "typical" failure rate of 2% each year of use. Of course, we're using a diaphragm plus condoms now, which each have about an 80% success rate .... but thatms the best we can do while we wait for the essure to be effective since hormonal methods are not an option.
#14 of 20 Old 09-01-2008, 03:28 PM

are you nuts!

Call them back and say it was put in wrong!! Let the medical training program eat the price and insist on a qualified person to insert a new one!
#15 of 20 Old 09-01-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieToaster View Post
are you nuts!

Call them back and say it was put in wrong!! Let the medical training program eat the price and insist on a qualified person to insert a new one!
I'm guessing the OP has had this resolved, since she posted about it 3 years ago...
#16 of 20 Old 09-01-2008, 05:22 PM

Yeah, but the timing is freaky for me. I had one put in this morning as emergency contraception Quiverfull is looking more appealing every day

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#17 of 20 Old 09-10-2013, 02:39 AM

My IUD Came out 5 weeks ago after having it in for  3 years I am now 4 weeks pregnant.baby.gif

#18 of 20 Old 11-30-2013, 03:18 PM

Did you know it fell outta? Did you use a backup method after it fell out? I just asking cuz mine fell out after 3 years and I'm concerned.
#19 of 20 Old 10-23-2014, 02:32 AM
Babybear1996

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Unhappy My ius fell the flip out

hello on Monday the 20th October 2014 my IUD fell out as well it was starting to poke out of my cervix and how i found out was because i was very crampy. it was the most painful experience of my life. i had to get three stitches ;( and then the doctor put another one in. is it normal to expel and i have come to the conclusion if this one falls out then im getting an alternative because i only had the IUD in 2 weeks and it popped out!!!!

#20 of 20 Old 10-23-2014, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

I got a Paragard 7 years after that original post and it stayed in just fine. Maybe bc I was not postpartum when it was inserted?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page