knowing when you're pregnant--naturally... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 01-17-2006, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I honestly need to do more research in this area...but how do you know when you are pregnant without any tests and stuff? Would this be through charting? I mean, I'm sure I would figure it out when I don't get my af AND I'm puking everyday, forgetful, and crying about everything!

But are there other ways? I'm sure there has to be...what other things does the wonderful woman's body do when she becomes FULL of LIFE??? :

(not pg, just got my 2nd af pp...but for the "next" one (who knows when!) I'd like it to try not to take any tests, unless I feel necessary, but I don't want an ultrsound, or to know the sex. last time I had an ultrasound and knew it was a boy, which was perfect for that pg. this time I feel the need to really just let nature run its course yk?

Creating Art. Living life on Guam. Sharing my Journey.

#2 of 27 Old 01-17-2006, 03:49 PM

Michelle....I knew I was pregnant from my temperature and used a urine test to confirm. I understand you wanting to keep everything as natural as possible, but I do suggest confirming pg with a pee stick; totally non invasive, etc etc; because of things like annovulatory cycles and such, where your temperature SHOULD tell you whether or not you're pg, but may not. HTH

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
#3 of 27 Old 01-17-2006, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If you're charting, and taking your temp daily, then after 17 days of high temps you know you're pg. If you're only checking CM and CP, it's not quite as accurate, but you'll still know for certain within 3-4 weeks of conception- basically, by the time you could get an accurate urine test.

Sometimes it's nice to pee on a stick anyway- reasure yourself that you weren't "off" in any of your charting, verify it for a disbelieving partner, etc.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#4 of 27 Old 01-17-2006, 03:53 PM

Also, your cervix will have a bluish tint to it if you are pregnant and it'll be softer and smooshier than usual. If you have a speculum and a flashlight, take a look. You can get speculums from a women's health center.
#5 of 27 Old 01-17-2006, 03:56 PM

If you are charting and your temperatures are above coverline for 18 days after ovulation, then you are considered pg. I just am never patient enough for that... but it's more fool-proof than a pg test.
Hope that helps.
~Julie

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#6 of 27 Old 01-17-2006, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonahsmom
Also, your cervix will have a bluish tint to it if you are pregnant and it'll be softer and smooshier than usual. If you have a speculum and a flashlight, take a look. You can get speculums from a women's health center.
I think you'll need a speculum, flashlight and a MIRROR to do this by yourself! It's probably also helpful to do this before getting pg so you can see the difference if you do get pg.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#7 of 27 Old 01-17-2006, 04:01 PM

Short of charting and the 18 days of high temps rule, you could always just go the old fashioned way. I believe they used to consider 2 missed AFs a good indication, and once you felt the baby move you knew for sure. Seems like a long time to wait these days, but it would work!
#8 of 27 Old 01-17-2006, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla
I think you'll need a speculum, flashlight and a MIRROR to do this by yourself! It's probably also helpful to do this before getting pg so you can see the difference if you do get pg.
Oh yeah! Left out the mirror. I definitely had seen my cervix pre-pregnancy, but it was clearly, very clearly blue, when I was pg.
#9 of 27 Old 01-17-2006, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

you ladies have got me wanting to go get a speculum (hmm, guess tongs would hurt huh? : : ) so I can see my unpregnant cervix.

i'm curious to hear more opinions/suggestions/experiences/ideas.

I think I would only pee on a stick if there were a reason where I felt the need to know.
thanks for the replies so far!

Creating Art. Living life on Guam. Sharing my Journey.

#10 of 27 Old 01-17-2006, 09:01 PM

okay -well, I took a preggy test when I was 4 days late with my af. You could set your watch by my cycle- so that's pretty accurate.
However, since this pregnancy is totally up, I did take another one at 4 months- why?
Well, for some strange reason I wanted to be sure I was really pregnant and not just imagining it- and perhaps just hitting the big "M" a bit early.

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#11 of 27 Old 01-17-2006, 10:24 PM

I knew, not bc I was late (I hadn't a clue) but some of my predictable PMS symptoms came but my period did not. For example, my breasts start to become tender a few days before, then when the cramping starts, the flow is imminent.

Breasts hurt for a week. Cramping for a week. I only peed on the stick bc I was incredulous (my first pregnancy). I too had no other confirmation (hcg, us, etc) other than morning sickness, feeling the baby, belly growing...

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life
#12 of 27 Old 01-18-2006, 05:42 AM

I was going to do that this pregnancy, but ended up going to the docs for my back around 8dpo so I took a test on day 12dpo so they could know if they could take X-rays.. Oops, pregnant, guess not!

I was using charting as my cycles were irregular due to nursing. I knew I was preggers around 6dpo I had a dream about the baby girl and received her name... then the "instant narcolepsy" began.

It would have been nice to not take the pregnancy test, but the doc needed to know for sure. He was concerned about herniated disc(s), so instead of X-rays I got my body manipulated in ways I never want to have done again.

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

#13 of 27 Old 01-18-2006, 03:40 PM

I'm reading Natural pregnancy by Aviva Jill Romm and in the chapter about Listening to your body etc.... she explains how she *knew* she had conceived a baby with her 4 children. She was very tuned to her body and felt after making love that there was life now in her.

I don't know the exact day when I conceived, but dh and I were trying to anyway and I had in October 05 this feeling that maybe that was it....

I took a pee stick test on october 15th and it was negative; I was disappointed and couldn't believe it. I took another one on October 30th and it was positive

I don't want ultrasounds on my baby so I calculate the EDD since my last period. Anyway, I want nobody to freak me out if the baby is 1 or 2 weeks late or early so I'm always lying re the due date when I'm asked. My baby will arrive in the world when he/she feels like it. (off topic sorry)
#14 of 27 Old 01-18-2006, 05:36 PM

I have been thinking about htis alot lately as AF has not returned yet and we do not use birth control of any kind. Like how would I know without cycles to count and such?

Does temperature work when you are nursing?

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#15 of 27 Old 01-22-2006, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee
I have been thinking about htis alot lately as AF has not returned yet and we do not use birth control of any kind. Like how would I know without cycles to count and such?

Does temperature work when you are nursing?
I used to wonder that all the time before PPAF returned! How would I know??? Eventually I would have gotten nauseated, or gassy, or constipated I guess... or huge LOL... and figured it out. But it did make me paranoid. So I started charting and temps do work when you are nursing although it's harder to decipher anovulatory charts. You can come check us out on the CTA thread if you have more questions.
#16 of 27 Old 01-26-2006, 01:27 AM

My last baby, I never did a pee stick test. I just waited. I didn't even start to wonder until I realized I'd skipped 2 periods. Then I just waited.

This time I didn't start to wonder if I was pg until late October. Then I just got so antsy about it that I decided to get a test. It was +. Then I had to figure out when I had gotten pg. I'd only had 1 PPAF, started Aug 3. We are almost certain we conceived the day dh came home from a week in Alaska... Aug 24. So far all my other babies were conceived on day 20-22 of my cycle, so that would fit. However, I had spotting from Sept 8 to 16... AND I had a gyno exam on Sept 24 and the NP did a full pelvic and never asked me if I might be pg.. didn't do a pg test either, even though I told her I had only had 1 light period since March 2003. For a while I wasn't sure if I had gotten pg Aug 24 or Sept 24. About a month ago, I was like, "there is no way this is only 15 weeks, this has to be 19 weeks." And sure enough I'm measuring 24cm now... at 23 weeks... so I guess Aug 24 was it! We'll find out come June right? If I'm still pg in June or July, then I guess I was wrong. Haha.
#17 of 27 Old 01-26-2006, 02:17 AM

My mom never took a pg test. She knew almost instantly and started behaving appropriately (stopped smoking immediately, etc).

I thought I'd be like that, and in a large way I was, in that I knew that *something* was different. And that the only explanation for the differences was pregnancy. Wedding was Sunday afternoon, wedding night around 3am Monday (LOL), Monday day was just *different*. By Saturday, when we got up to Vancouver for our cruise, my boobs were a cup size bigger and I felt giddy (the mood stuff could have simply been a reaction to the end of 2.5 years of wedding planning). By the end of the cruise I'd gained another cup size and there were huge blue veins running through my breasts. The waist-size changes could definitely be explained by the cruise food.

Hubby knew by the time we were home from the cruise, and his Knowing got stronger and stronger. He could sense the energy of the embryo (and throughout the pregnancy he was actually far more bonded to the pre-born baby than I was). He got tired of my flip-flopping, and came home with a pregnancy test to show me I was pg so I'd shush. It was funny but also bad, because I'd never ever wanted to POAS, but it was there....plus, since he knew, he had no big reaction to the two lines, while I was nearly fainting.

Last month I think I took 6 or 8 Dollar Tree tests. All negative.

This month I'm just being patient. Wondering if my "symptoms" are just normal or if they *mean* something. I'm not letting hubby near me with his "knowing" hands, because last month he *swore* he felt a new energy, but I wasn't pg, and it disappointed us (the period coming 3 days later than expected, after a "lifetime" of absolutely perfectly timed cycles makes us wonder if it was an extremely early loss). So this time, and in the future, we're just working on our patience. I figure I'll know at some point!

I met a lady who didn't know she was pg with her first until she was beyond 6 months. And her second, it took her to about 5 months! You'd think she would have figured it out after the first, but I guess her symptoms aren't that strong!
#18 of 27 Old 01-27-2006, 01:24 PM

Both times I knew from the night of conception. With my son, I told our neighbor that I was pretty sure we were pregnant 3 days after O, after 15 months of trying... this time I started a pregnancy journal the day after O... and I had been trying for 23 months and this was the only time I felt like that. I can't explain it... I don't feel differant, there was no obvious sign. I just knew.... my intuition just told me that it was going to be our month. I wish I could explain it because my husband thinks I'm either clairvoyant or crazy, lol.

Jeri, Natural lovin' Mama to Elijah (9.29.03), Eden (10.2.06), and a little one lost along the way (1/12)., Step-monster to Shelby (18) and Stephen (16). Celebrating 12 years together with my soul-mate, Eric. Hoping for a rainbow1284.gif someday! 
#19 of 27 Old 01-27-2006, 04:39 PM

With my first I tried to hold out taking a test but just couldn't. It was driving me nuts. Even though I'd had 18 days of high temps. I finally took a test, another test, another test, another.... I was nearly 10 weeks along before one was positive.

With my second I had a feeling I might be and had the same issue with negative tests so I had an ultrasound, which was inconclusive on the dates but we did get a heartbeat. It was a big relief for me to know for sure. Just for kicks I took a test when I would have likely been 10 - 12 weeks (which in and of itself was a big guess) and it was negative!
#20 of 27 Old 01-27-2006, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmBnB
With my first I tried to hold out taking a test but just couldn't. It was driving me nuts. Even though I'd had 18 days of high temps. I finally took a test, another test, another test, another.... I was nearly 10 weeks along before one was positive.

With my second I had a feeling I might be and had the same issue with negative tests so I had an ultrasound, which was inconclusive on the dates but we did get a heartbeat. It was a big relief for me to know for sure. Just for kicks I took a test when I would have likely been 10 - 12 weeks (which in and of itself was a big guess) and it was negative!

I find this so interesting, that some people just never test positive! A pg test seems so simple; embryo makes HCG naturally, the tests pick up on HCG...seems impossible to "fool". And yet there are so many people who never have a positive with them, despite definitely being pregnant. It's fascinating.

Was it hard to "keep the faith", so to speak, that you were pregnant the first time, with the main thing most women look to telling you otherwise?
#21 of 27 Old 01-28-2006, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It was written on my face. 10 enormous zits, 8 in a circle to the left of my chin. I could smell Everything. My feet and hips got wider, I got heartburn (lots of relaxin in my body) It took 10 or more pg test to prove it to dh, over the course of 2 weeks. I kept thinking, if I am not pregnant, something is really wrong with me, since I feel so different!
#22 of 27 Old 01-28-2006, 03:07 PM

provocativa all that happened that fast? Wow. And I thought lots changed quickly with *me*!
#23 of 27 Old 03-14-2006, 04:45 PM

Well, with my first, I had suspicions, but I didn't trust my body.

With my second, I had been charting my temps, and I knew I was going to be ovulating within 2 days. I told my husband BEFORE we dtd that if we didn't use anything, we were going to conceive a girl. We didn't use anything, and 9 months later we had a girl. I took a HPT a couple weeks after conception to verify I was pregnant.

With my third, I was still charting my temps. I knew I was going to be ovulating within 24 hours. I told my husband BEFORE we dtd that if we didn't use anything, we were going to conceive a boy. We didn't use anything, and 9 months later we had a boy. I actually knew just a few days after conception that I was pregnant. Triphasic. When he implanted, my temp raised another half a degree. I didn't actually have to test. I just did it to appease my husband.
#24 of 27 Old 03-24-2006, 03:16 PM

I get this "throbby crotch" thing 2 days after conception I've only had this twice, and each time I was holding a baby 8.5 months later So I knew the second time, without a test, that I was most likely pregnant. I did do the pee test, just to be sure. Both my kids were obsessively planned, though, so it wasn't like it was coming out of left field, ya know
#25 of 27 Old 03-24-2006, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My mom knew with me the day after conceiving me.

I didn't just know with either of my kids but I was charting to get Miles and I had a triphasic chart and implantation spotting, so I knew the pee test would be positive.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#26 of 27 Old 04-02-2006, 12:39 PM

I have read that your pulse will become faster when you become pregnant as you have to pump more blood for the growing babe

My FIL told me I was pregnant with DS by feeling my pulse
#27 of 27 Old 04-03-2006, 03:01 AM

I suspected really early with my first two and just "knew" with my third,which we were trying for and I knew when I ovulated. I had a dream about a baby boy, my temps stayed high etc. First test I took was negative, I took it really early becase I woke up having to pee (another symptom) I was SO disapointed because I had just known! Two hours later when I really woke up, I pulled it out of the trash on some weird impulse and there was the faintest line Id ever seen, in fact it was so faint I wasnt sure if I was imagning or not. (with my first two, it turned dark purple forget blue but then this was way earlier). I stopped at target on my way to work and poas right there in thier bathroom, this one was still pretty faint but definatley there!!

So...I'd say other than peeing on the stick, theres your temp and your intuiton. But then there have been plenty of times I was pretty sure then I wasnt.

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page