NuvaRing? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 04-19-2006, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone share experiences or info about NuvaRing? I'm looking for new birth control options and this sounds like it might be something worth considering.

Thanks!!!

Mom to (5) (9)
#2 of 27 Old 04-19-2006, 06:56 PM

I loved it!!! DH could feel it at times of....alternative positioning but it wasn't anything major. I never had one fall out and I had no side effects from it like I do with the pill. I LOVE it.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#3 of 27 Old 04-20-2006, 10:53 PM

Dh can't feel it. After the first week I didn't notice it and stopped obsessively checking to make sure it was in place.

I'm not sure on the side-effects thing. I can only tell you the difference so far between the ring and the pill. The side effect of having almost no period which is what started me looking for alternatives to the pill has gone away--they're now only about as light as they were before I started birth control. My libido and moisture have both increased (yeah, bcps are effective at preventing pregnancy in more ways than one for some women : ) I suspect that the hormones in the bcps were aggravating a minor thyroid problem and causing me to gain weight in the abdomen, unfortunately now that the weight's there I'm going to have to exercise to see if it goes away , so I don't know for certain that switching to the nuva ring helped that (especially since there are like a bizillion other factors the most important of which is needing to be more active)

Anyway, I like it so far and it's only $11 through my school pharmacy which is all kinds of nifty.
#4 of 27 Old 04-21-2006, 01:05 AM

My sister used hers for about 2-3 yrs and LOVED it!! She had been on the pill before. Now her dh got snipped, so she's not on anything. But I've only heard good things about it. If I hadn't had such a bad experience w/ the pill (gaining 40 lb in one yr!), I'd consider the ring.
#5 of 27 Old 04-21-2006, 03:34 PM

I love the Nuvaring! I can't feel it, dh can't feel it, no side effects except I can't get pregnant. I highly recommend it. And I'm someone who gets nuts from the pill.
#6 of 27 Old 04-21-2006, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! I'm definitely leaning towards trying it. I was on the pill before baby #1 and didn't have any problem with it. Between baby 1 and baby #2 we just used condoms and spermicide and that's all we're using now. I'm still nursing baby #2 (he's 27 months) and I wasn't crazy about hormones while bf but the lower dose on the NuvaRing combined with ds's age... I think it would be OK.

Thanks!

Mom to (5) (9)
#7 of 27 Old 04-24-2006, 04:33 PM

I have to chime in on every NuvaRing thread here (and there are ALOT, do a search!), I adore the NuvaRing, and recommend it to everyone.

I've used it nearly 2 years now. I never feel it(only during one specific position, but you can remove it briefly), SO never feels it. I have no side effects, and it's been amazing.

I'm extremely fertile (get pregnant easily using many types of birth controls), and have yet to have a problem with this one. It actually works for me

I only had one incident of it coming out and me not knowing for a few days, which freaked me out, but it was my own problem (didn't pay attention when removing a tampon), and nothing I'd stop using it for at all. (user error...lol)

It's the easiest birth control ever, seriously...lol
#8 of 27 Old 04-25-2006, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Now, will the nuvaring get in the way when using a diva cup?
missmac217 likes this.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#9 of 27 Old 04-25-2006, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwings640
This is what I was wondering!!!
#10 of 27 Old 04-25-2006, 04:56 PM

Quote:
I have no personal experience with this, but women I know who use it, say it's just fine, but same as when removing a tampon, be careful, and check to make sure the ring stays in place.
#11 of 27 Old 04-26-2006, 04:43 AM

I actually love the Nuva Ring, its easy, prevents pregnancy very well and it doesnt make u crazy like other BC.

I'm actually not on it right now, but am thinking of starting back up (i have the prescription in my hand, lol). I stopped Nuva Ring back in August of last year because I started it earlier last year while I was trying to get the Depo shot OUT of my system and my mood swings were crazy and i never wanted to have sex, so i said, You know what, Ill just give myself a break so that i can start fresh. But now hubby thinks all hormonal BC is the devil and is questioning starting back with the Nuva Ring. I've assured him that the reason i was so wacky was because of the shot in my system along with the Nuva ring and that I should be fine starting from scratch now, but at the same time, we dont want to treat me as a live guinea pig.

Maybe we'll try Nuva for a month and then see how that goes, lol.

NMY actively making my dreams happen :
#12 of 27 Old 04-27-2006, 03:59 PM

Quote:
the awesome thing about the nuva ring is you still have a "normal" period, so you take it out while you're on your period. so no, they won't get in the way of each other.

i used the nuva ring for about 6-7 months, but every time i would take it out, i would get a UTI. yikes. that's the only complaint i had. DH and i are counting now, mostly because my sex drive was nill.

SAHM to Hannah (11/04), Cash (02/08), and Adelaide (07/10) dh, Chris.
#13 of 27 Old 04-27-2006, 04:39 PM

Hmmm...okay, so here's my question: What about those of us who can't reach their cervix? I have never been able to reach mine.

I am probably going to eventually get an iud placed, but am also looking into other options. Also, I have a 6 wk old nursling, should this be okay with him? I guess I should probably be talking to my provider, huh?
#14 of 27 Old 04-27-2006, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsishomemade
Hmmm...okay, so here's my question: What about those of us who can't reach their cervix? I have never been able to reach mine.
Umm, what does reaching your cervix have to do with anything?

The NuvaRing just sits in your vagina, as long as it's in, the placement doesn't matter.
#15 of 27 Old 04-27-2006, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the elyse
the awesome thing about the nuva ring is you still have a "normal" period, so you take it out while you're on your period. so no, they won't get in the way of each other.
This isn't necessarily true.

I still have my period when it's time to place the next NuvaRing, so YES they do interact (tampons, divacups etc).

This isn't an ABnormal period, it's very normal, but I DO still have it when it's time to put another in.
#16 of 27 Old 04-27-2006, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsishomemade
Also, I have a 6 wk old nursling, should this be okay with him?
It does have estrogen, although a lower dose than the pill, so I'm not sure if it's recommended for moms with nursing babies. I'm still nursing but my "baby" is two so I'm not concerned about reducing my milk supply. I'm not sure if that's a concern with younger babies.

Thanks for all of the great info everyone!

Mom to (5) (9)
#17 of 27 Old 04-28-2006, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomBirthmomStepmom
Umm, what does reaching your cervix have to do with anything?

The NuvaRing just sits in your vagina, as long as it's in, the placement doesn't matter.
Okay, I didn't realize this, I thought it would need to be up near the cervix
#18 of 27 Old 04-28-2006, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomBirthmomStepmom
This isn't an ABnormal period, it's very normal, but I DO still have it when it's time to put another in.
same for me. i usually remove nuvaring on sunday and actually get my period by tuesday/wednesday. by the time sunday rolls around, when i insert a new one, i might have a little light period left, but have yet to have any issues with the two coinciding briefly.

i'm on it now and love it!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#19 of 27 Old 04-29-2006, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise
same for me. i usually remove nuvaring on sunday and actually get my period by tuesday/wednesday. by the time sunday rolls around, when i insert a new one, i might have a little light period left, but have yet to have any issues with the two coinciding briefly.

i'm on it now and love it!
yeah, when I was on the pill, i stopped on Sunday and got my period Tuesday, with NuvaRing I stop on Monday and don't get my period until Saturday...lol So, I still have it when Monday comes back around.

I have noticed that alot of firt-time users start freaking out when it's been 2-3 days and they still have no period. OUr bodies are just sooo different, that it can be the whole week before you actually GET the period..lol
#20 of 27 Old 05-19-2006, 04:55 PM

I've only had mine in for a week. I was using Yasmin, and decided to switch because of problems with depression and NO libido. I then decided to switch to an IUD, but got jerked around by my insurance company (they said they covered it, then told me WEEKS later that they only reimburse for it - they won't pay for it up front). Now I have the NuvaRing. During the month I was off hormone methods, I could tell my libido was returning to normal, but with the ring, it's gone back down again, not as low as with Yasmin, but I'm not happy with it.

I'm going to finish out this cycle with it, but if things don't improve by the end, I'm going with NFP.
#21 of 27 Old 05-19-2006, 04:57 PM

I had one, it was great.

It wouldn't be wise to use it with a young baby though because it can hurt your milk supply.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#22 of 27 Old 05-19-2006, 11:09 PM

So, I just began using Nuva Ring this month after a hiatus from August of last year.

Hubby isn't feelin it, lol. He says that he can tell a change in my demeanor and moods from pre-Nuva Ring and now.

*sigh*

It's not supposed to come out for another week and even then the doc told us to at least try it for 3 months before we give up. I dunno if hubby gonna go for that, lol.

NMY actively making my dreams happen :
#23 of 27 Old 05-19-2006, 11:57 PM

I didn't like the nuvaring. I always feel obligated to share, because everyone I know loves it. I have extreme breast pain, break through bleeding even when I wasn't using it 4 weeks with no break, vaginal irritation, no sex drive, painful acne and some other side effects. The plus was that it didn't make me nauseaus. I had issues with every pill I tried too, so I think the hormones just don't agree with me. I used it for 6 months and eventually went off of all hormones.
#24 of 27 Old 12-27-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwifeErika View Post

thats exactly what im iffy about with the nuvaring - I use softcups and haaate the daylights out of tampons

#25 of 27 Old 12-27-2013, 11:58 AM

I wouldn't get the IUD if I were you, unless youre okay with bleeding with a lot of pain for months on end :/ you feel verythrown off on the IUD and I've been reading up on it like crazy and I finally deided to take mine out..

#26 of 27 Old 02-23-2014, 07:44 PM

I had the nuva ring for a few months and hated it. I had cramping, spotting, and irriaptation and dryness.
#27 of 27 Old 03-03-2014, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I hated it too. But it seems I cannot tolerate hormonal BC. The nuva ring made me SO dry, moody, NO libido whatsoever - that's BC by itself! And I kept getting yeast infections... so two thumbs way down!

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page