Best seasons to get pregnant/give birth? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 55 Old 05-27-2006, 01:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had two August babes. While the summer heat wasn't fun, I loved my maternity clothes. I had lots of sundresses and it was nice to wear so little when you're already feeling so big and awkward. I also went swimming a lot. But if I have another, I think I would enjoy a Spring baby.

Marja: consensual-living, unschooling, piano-teaching, doula and mom to 3 creative, independent people:
DD, 8, DS, 6, and Baby DS born July 1, 2010 Married to DH for 10 years!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 55 Old 05-27-2006, 01:26 AM

I had three summer babies - one June, one July, one August.

Pros to summer babies:

**no bad weather/power outage/ice/snow/driving issues for you to get to birth center or for midwives to get to your house

**not much sickness going around so less worry about having baby exposed to that

**fun outdoor birthday parties are an option! and no hurt feelings at school when someone overhears someone else talking about your kid's party

**you can take lots of walks with the new baby - I loved that!

**far from Xmas holiday so no "what to get her; she just had a birthday"

Cons to summer babies:

**youngest in the class at school - although I was and turned out just fine, graduated third in my class

**sometimes kids are gone on vacation when you are having your birthday party - less likely during the school year

Just for the holiday issue alone, I'd avoid January and December if possible. It is easier financially to spread it out a bit if you can. And if you really want to think ahead, avoid May for daughters and June for sons so they don't get gyped on the Mother's/Father's Day/birthday gifts...
#33 of 55 Old 05-27-2006, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleet76
I loved having my May and April babies. Here are my reasons:

I wasn't very pregnant in the summer

got to hide out in big, baggy maternity clothes over the winter

the babies came with the arrival of spring

it was easy to get out with a little one in the summer because it's not cold

by the time it is cold and the season for illnesses, the baby is 5-6 months old and much more sturdy

And by the time the 2nd summer rolls around, you have a toddler who can enjoy playing at the park, going to the zoo, pool, and may be going down to one nap to free up even more of you nice-weather time!
I agree totally!! March/April is a great time to have a little one!!
#34 of 55 Old 05-27-2006, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonJelly
What do you mean about the birthday? Did you go late? My DD was almost four weeks early actually. She was due on August 1. It's funny because I thought for sure it would be mid-August or something and I pretty much freaked when my water broke on the 4th of July! Everything was fine though--no problems.
My last baby was due July 14th, by LMP, but the u/s said July 7th. They wanted me to have a scheduled section on the fourth, but I was trying to VBAC, and said no. I ended up with a scheduled section on the 26th...and have wobbled back and forth ever since on whether putting it off until labour was a victory, or whether the whole thing counts as a defeat...

Quote:
That is interesting about the various perspectives. I agree that it probably makes a difference where you live. I don't like the heat either actually, but I guess we had some decent A/C going! What are your average summer temps in BC? I also imagine your days are pretty long in July up there, so I can understand what you mean. I spent a few days North of Toronto in July once and it was light until at least 10pm. I used to get a little manic in June and July even here in Maryland. Now I seem to need all the light I can get.
I'm not really sure what our average summer temperatures are. It usually hits the 30's (Celsius...low-mid 90's Fahrenheit) at least some of the summer, though. When I had ds2, I was parked in front of a window at the hospital, and the temperature was in the 30s/90s. The sun beat down on me from about 10:30 in the morning until sunset...around 8:00 or so at night. It was grotesque.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#35 of 55 Old 05-27-2006, 05:11 PM

I think September is a great month to give birth, but then again look at me now, hehee. There is that precious 8 months afterwards to get into shape before summer! But then again, any month is a perfect time to be blessed!
#36 of 55 Old 05-29-2006, 10:43 PM

I've thought about the same thing. Both of mine are winter babies...my first was due in January and was born in early Feb. and my 2nd was due in November and born in early December. I loved when my first was born--great time of year for me. Although going through the winter, pg, was a little difficult. The 2nd was fine but it was a little hectic because of the holidays. I still loved having a winter baby, though. If we do have a third, I'm thinking we are going to try for a baby between April and July mostly because we have 2 kids already and I want them to be able to play outside and go to the park once the baby is here. Also, I'm a bit worried about colds/flu/viruses. We have fairly mild winters here and when Luke was born I took him out in a sling that same week it was probably in the low 60's.
#37 of 55 Old 05-30-2006, 11:02 PM

March!

That's it, just March. It's the perfect time to have a baby in a multi-season climate.

Snowstorms are over so if you aren't homebirthing you don't have to worry about getting to the birth center.

The baby babymoons for 40 days, staying home and nursing, taking cozy sling-y walks and then emerges into the springtime, not too hot, not too cold. Perfect for being outside and discovering the world.

If you choose conventional schooling the child is just right, not too young (June-Aug), not the oldest (Oct, Nov).
#38 of 55 Old 06-01-2006, 02:18 PM

I vote for spring - both of my kiddos have June birthdays (well, my dd does and seeing as this baby missed it's EDD in May it will be a June baby too!). It is the perfect time of year for us. I hate hot weather, and it is hot and humid here starting mid-late June. (though we had temps in mid 90's here last weekend)
My birthday is in January, and it always got a bit lost in the post holiday shuffle, as did my brother's (Dec. 28th).
In terms of school, it depends on the child, and to some extent for me, gender. I would be more likely to send a girl through her first year at 5, and perhaps let a son wait until he is 6. Having talked to many guys who have had the option, and parents who have done it both ways, most seem to favor a later start for boys.
#39 of 55 Old 06-02-2006, 01:29 AM

My dd was born in May, and I loved it! We had the whole summer to be outdoors, and she didn't get all the colds that winter babies sometimes get.

For our next one, I am hoping for a March, April, or May birth. I am a teacher and would love the summer off to relax at home.
#40 of 55 Old 06-04-2006, 02:22 PM

I have a July birthday (23rd) and I love it and since it doesn't get too hot here until then my Mom loved it. On the other hand two of my sibs are October babies (both due in September) and she found that much tougher. My little bro is a late March baby and I have to say he looked so cute on his first Christmas. He was sitting up, quite mobile, but still really a baby. DH & I are going to try for a late March to August baby since he is a December baby and really found that a bit much, but I'd take anything (how cool would it be to give birth around your Christmas tree?). I always had really fun parties, often smaller since people were away but I loved it. One year we had a pancake party during a heatwave.

This really appeals to me: "5) I really liked that DD was sitting up, but still young, by the holidays.
6) During her second summer when she began to walk, Robeez were all she needed, inside and out. I was able to put off hard soled shoes until Sep/Oct.
7) I liked that she was 11-14 months during the summer. She really enjoyed getting in the pool with me and walking around outside.
8) I liked that she was almost 18 months on her second Christmas. It was a good age because there were a lot of good gift ideas for the grandparents. Things we all of the sudden needed once she got to this age, like ride-on toys etc.
9) And now, in her third summer, I am hopeful that we can start potty learning while the weather is warm. "

As for traditional schooling, it really depends on where you live. In most of BC, it goes by the year you were born so both my October sibs started school before they were 5 and did really well with it. However, many people do decide to hold back December babies (or more common have them do Kindergarden twice) but I think that really depends on the child. My male cousin was born on the 18th and was fine (2nd of 5 kids) whereas my female cousin was born on the 3rd (4th of 5, but number 5 didn't come until she was almost 7) and she repeated it. DH was fine.
#41 of 55 Old 06-04-2006, 04:37 PM

we have pretty cold winters, and hot summers here. DD was born nov30th, in the middle of two snowstorms. It really wasn't fun at all. The house got down to 14 degrees during her birth. I told dh that if we can help it, i don't want another winter baby. Late winter would be ok. I know that summer wouldn't be much fun either (gets up to around 110 sometimes) but at least i could be out and about more! And the baby wouldn't have to look like a little sausage all packed in layers upon layers of clothes.

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#42 of 55 Old 06-05-2006, 11:06 PM

I have a Sept. baby, and that was great, and an early June baby, that was pretty nice too - I think December was a better time though. I've always wanted to have a baby born between Christmas and New Years - I don't know why!
#43 of 55 Old 06-06-2006, 05:59 PM

ds1 is a late february baby and ds 2 is an early march baby and next time around i would like an october baby so i can be pregnant in the summer. it does get pretty darn hot here in north carolina, but actually it gets SO hot that even if i weren't pregnant i wouldn't be going outside. i hated my winter maternity clothes. so frumpy compared to all the cute summer things and if i have a baby in october, then i have all winter to hide in comfy sweaters while i wait for my tummy to shrink back down so i can be back to my regular size (4-6) when the more skimpy summer season rolls back around. plus, when i get pregnant i get BIG, but it is all belly big, not all around big, so no matter what i could never find a shirt to cover my tummy which is such a pain when it's cold outside. also- the time i love my body the best is when i'm pregnant and in the summer you can show it off without freezing your tail off! hahaha
#44 of 55 Old 06-08-2006, 07:49 PM

I've had two September babies. Little picky Virgo girls

I loved being pg in summer for showing off my belly.
Sept is a nice month for laying in bed and resting with all the windows open. Babies aren't too young or too mobile for holiday travel.
I LOVE the foods harvested at this time of year and I loved pigging out after being sick for 9 months.

Dislikes:
I tend to get very moody in late winter early spring and with both my pg's I had to spend this time puking/getting used to being pg.
When a Sept baby is old enough to start tasting food there's not too much fresh produce available in my area (say 7 months old - April).

This baby is due in the end of November.
I'm looking forward to having a Saggitarius child and I'm also excited about having a great excuse to let the holidays be as simple as possible.
I'm nervous about being stuck indoors for a long winter.
#45 of 55 Old 06-14-2006, 08:22 PM

hmm...i live in a very hot climate....i think it was in the 70's and 80's this past and where i am we have hurricane season so i would not want to be expecting a baby right in the middle of that so i must say...i conceived in april of 2005 and i thought my baby would be here on christmas day...so we were very excited...and then new years past...and i took down our tree...very upset and emotional....i wanted the baby to have a picture in front of our tree...then the full moon past on the 15th of january and still no baby...i cried...and finally i went into labor on wed. the 18th and he was finally born on friday the 20th....i think that is the perfect time to have a baby
#46 of 55 Old 10-15-2006, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

I'm bumping this post, because after reading all of the replies again, I tallied up all of the "I would want a ____ baby", and found the following results (leaving some room for error):

Fall 2
Summer 8
Winter 9
Spring 16

I find this to be interesting that so many posters said spring. I wonder if there is a biological/ecological, or maybe cultural, reason behind this. Spring babies are conceived when there is lots of fresh produce to eat, born when there aren't as many colds/flus around, babymooned during a not too hot/cold season, and ready to try their first foods during or right after the big fall harvests. Any thoughts on this? And of course, if anyone else wants to post again about their ideal birth/pregnancy timetable, that would be neat as well.
#47 of 55 Old 11-22-2006, 08:59 AM

I had a mid-March baby and that was eh. Wasn't planned, but worked out. If all possible, I would like to plan for an April or May baby. There are a few reasons for this:

1) I hate the heat. When I am pregnant, this was made infinitely worse. I had horrible migranes from the heat my entire first trimester and I was miserable to the extreme. Even in the late fall/winter when it was only 16-19C in our house I was still burning up.

2) My daughter had the infinite luck of being born at the fever pitch height of cold/flu season for this area this year. All three of us got sick immediately following the birth. My husband was shot completely down with it THE DAY OF THE BIRTH. No one could come visit me in the hospital because friends and family also had it. I would like to try for later when possible.

3) There is something novel about the idea of babies birthed in the spring. My daughter was born on the last damn day of winter. :

If the heat wasn't an issue, I would also consider a fall baby. I just can't imagine being 6-9 months pregnant in the drenching heat of summer. No thanks, if that can be avoided.
#48 of 55 Old 11-22-2006, 04:24 PM

Getting knocked up in August and giving birth in Febuary/March. The baby won't be a holiday baby and the mom doesn't have to endure summer with an extra 30 lbs. Also, you can lose the weight in time for beach season.
I'm 'planning' my pregnancy that way, it will also be a nice suprise for my man since he is an October baby who will get a nice bday present of finding out he will be a daddy!
#49 of 55 Old 11-22-2006, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malila View Post
Fall 2
Summer 8
Winter 9
Spring 16

I find this to be interesting that so many posters said spring. I wonder if there is a biological/ecological, or maybe cultural, reason behind this. Spring babies are conceived when there is lots of fresh produce to eat, born when there aren't as many colds/flus around, babymooned during a not too hot/cold season, and ready to try their first foods during or right after the big fall harvests. Any thoughts on this? And of course, if anyone else wants to post again about their ideal birth/pregnancy timetable, that would be neat as well.

Intersting, I would love a little fall baby, but where I live the summer's are HORRIBLE. I grew up in Africa though and I would never dream of having a March baby there, because the climate is reversed.
#50 of 55 Old 11-23-2006, 01:23 AM

well i've had a spring baby in late march, a early summer baby in june, and a late late summer baby end of aug. I can think of pros and cons of all three... i was thinking of ttc soon and if things go as quick as before i'd be due in nov. ish... only thing i worry about is i get SAD pretty bad but usally early fall and by the 1st of the year i'd better. My second was good except for the fact that i could swim for 8 weeks out of the summer... my third wasn't fun being BIG all summer long, i did lots of swimming but not as much as the other kids would have liked to do, i couldn't coach ball teams or anything eles, i missed some of the start of schools stuff too.. never will i have an aug baby again... my first was good except i gained 74lbs or so and it wasn't really something i wanted for summer time it did work out though having all summer for walks, swimming, ect by aug my baby weight was gone...
#51 of 55 Old 11-23-2006, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luellamaeve View Post
Getting knocked up in August and giving birth in Febuary/March. The baby won't be a holiday baby and the mom doesn't have to endure summer with an extra 30 lbs. Also, you can lose the weight in time for beach season.
I'm 'planning' my pregnancy that way, it will also be a nice suprise for my man since he is an October baby who will get a nice bday present of finding out he will be a daddy!
How do you figure August for a February/March baby? I got pregnant in the on or within one-two days of the summer solstice in June for my March baby. August would give you a very late April/May/very early June baby, depending.
#52 of 55 Old 11-23-2006, 02:38 PM

I was just going to post that I got pregnant at the end of June for my March baby. Having hg in the summer sucks, but not as much as being hugely pregnant.

I just had my second baby in August and he just got his first cold. The other good thing about a spring baby is they are older before cold and flu season starts.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#53 of 55 Old 11-25-2006, 12:42 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have one Oct and one Jan baby. I'm liking winter babies. I'm not itching to go anywhere, by the time warmer weather rolls around baby is older, when the baby is a newborn, it's gets dark so early that I can go to bed early. The only real negetive for me is it's cold season.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#54 of 55 Old 11-28-2006, 02:38 PM

Traditionally when we transfer over important dates from last years calendar to the new year's calendar, along with Birthdays and Anniversaries, we put this in big bold letters on March:
USE BIRTH CONTROL OR ABSTAIN

March = December babies.

it just kills the holidays I find. We have a Nov 28th (today's his & his daddy's b-day!) and a Dec 10th baby. Both totally killed the holidays. We couldn't go anywhere and if we did it drove us batty. ugh. No fun.

My 2nd babe is a March baby. It was great, but right in the middle of the semester so I could only teach one class.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#55 of 55 Old 11-28-2006, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
Traditionally when we transfer over important dates from last years calendar to the new year's calendar, along with Birthdays and Anniversaries, we put this in big bold letters on March:
USE BIRTH CONTROL OR ABSTAIN
LOL! Too funny!

{Partner to DH  and Former WOHM, now SAHM  to DD, DD , and DS } *** ***

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page