Best seasons to get pregnant/give birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-19-2006, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Really, *really* I know we can't plan these things perfectly, but I was wondering if anyone wanted to share what they think is the the best season to get pregnant/give birth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2006, 03:28 PM

If you are a teacher, it is best to give birth in the late spring, then you could have the summer off for maternity leave.

If you live in a really, really hot climate, it would be best to have the baby in late winter, so that you wouldn't be hugely pregnant and swollen in the summer.

If you have 2 babies born in the spring, then it would be nice to have a fall baby, I guess......

In other words, there is no "best" season. It all depends on you & your DH and your family/work situation.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:58 PM

Yeah it totally depends on the person. For me, spring was the perfect time for having a baby. I hate the heat and will be 9 months pregnant in August. Not looking forward to that.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Old 05-19-2006, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing! I think you're both right that it depends on the person. I was thinking that having a baby during the holidays might be a little crazy. I think it would def. get uncomfortable to have a baby in the summer/fall, but at least you wouldn't need a maternity winter coat! Having a baby during snow season might be an issue when the big day comes. Just a few of my rambling thoughts!
Old 05-19-2006, 05:57 PM

Hmm I really think it depends. I have one winter/holiday and two summer babies.

I like the summer babies because the can just wear a onesie or nothing and they're good

But I think if we have another I'd like a late winter baby. That time of year is naturally a time when you stick closer to home and snuggle inside, and it's just a cozy time of year to have a new baby snuggled next you

I want another newborn so badly right now I'd take one when I get one though

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

Old 05-19-2006, 06:19 PM

Yeah I went stir crazy with a newborn, so spring was perfect for us because we went on lots of walks and picnics.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Old 05-19-2006, 07:47 PM

Well, the best laid plans...
It only took us one try to get pregnant with our first. It took 3 months with the second. Once we did, I thought a Feb birthday would be nice for our second, since a ton of people have birthdays in January, and mine is in March, and my older daughter is November. But she came 7 weeks early on December 21st, right at the height of the holiday season!

I think it would be nice not to be hugely pregnant in summer, that would be the main bulk of my plan. It often gets over 100 degrees in the summer where I live.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:05 PM

With ds (born Feb. 26th) I had such a hard time with having to find warm clothes that fit, & having to wear sweaters & jackets over a huge belly, only to instantly over-heat.... no fun! I decided then that it would be heavenly to have a summer baby, that way I could run around w/ just a little sundress; or as close to nothing as possible!
Old 05-19-2006, 08:23 PM

hmmm.... 3rd trimester in late July & though August was TOUGH but at least I could wear flip flops and ice water saved me from sponanteous combustion.... I can't imagine I would ever be able to find winter boots that would have been comfortable enough to not make want to kill myself, though!!!

I guess I am still undecided....
Old 05-20-2006, 02:59 PM

Being huge preg all summer was hard in some ways, but I got to swim everyday and that really helped me physiclaly to feel weightless.

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

Old 05-20-2006, 03:06 PM

My dd was born in early June (3 years ago!). We had hoped for a birth between March and July and it was perfect!

Early in the pregnancy when I was exhausted, it was windy and/or snowy - so I didn't miss being outside a lot anyway.

No chance of getting stuck in a snowstorm if you give birth in a hospital.

After the birth we spent a lot of time outside.

I personally think I would have had pretty bad PPD if I had given birth in the fall.

No need to buy a lot of baby clothes as long as the weather is warm!

And the best part for us is being able to do outdoor birthday parties!
Old 05-20-2006, 03:38 PM

I had DD1 at the end of September so I was big and pregnant through a Houston summer... that was NOT fun at all... I would not want to be in my 3rd tri again in the summer. I had DD2 in June, which was nice, but it was in Phoenix and by the time June came it was already scorching hot again, so I hated that. In late pregnancy I can NOT cool down, so I already know that I really don't want to be in late pregnancy again unless it's in the winter.

Next time around I'm really hoping to be due around February or March. Plus I like the look of winter maternity clothes much more... I'm normally a big girl and summer maternity clothes never fit right.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:25 PM

I would say early spring for me --- because that way the pregnancy is mid-summer through early spring and I can avoid taking my allergy herbs which can be harmful for baby! Of course, the pregnancy hormones help me as well, so maybe it really doesn't matter!

I would not want a winter baby. We are homebirthers, and I'd be worried that we'd get snowed in for an emergency.

Jenny, reading & writing mama of dd(18), ds(6), and ds(3)
Old 05-20-2006, 06:19 PM

Well, I have a January baby. I ALWAYS wanted a summer baby....but our plans did not work out .

I did not start to show for a while.....so I found out I was pg in May and kind of looked just chubby ALL SUMMER.....I would rather look pg!!

As for the birth, it was cold and rainy/snowy when we left the hospital...not fun. I also went stir crazy in the house.............ARGHHHHHHH (just thinking back)

I would like to "plan" for a summer/early fall baby preferably summer though. I love the summer maternity clothes and FLIP FLOPS. My feet were soooo swollen at the end, i could not fit in any shoes, I had to wear clogs (not so fun in the snow).

Plus thinking ahead....summer birthdays are fun, and you can have them outside!!!
I dont know what to do about dd b-day in January...I have a large family and they are NOT all coming to my house
Old 05-22-2006, 08:33 PM

We have 6 family birthdays between mid Nov and the end of Feb. It is so hectic and so expensive! My dd's were born 1/5 and 2/28. Between the holidays and planning birthday get togethers, I am totally stressed that time of year.

I didn't mind actually having them in the winter, but I could never find maternity clothes that fit well and weren't too hot, so I ended up wearing larger sizes of my usual clothes, and well, I looked quite heavy instead of looking pregnant.

Next time, I'd like to have a baby in the spring/summer (May-Aug, preferably June). My birthday is in June, and it was great as a kid because I got presents every 6 months. Also, I love the summer maternity look, and if I was working, I'd love to have my maternity leave during the summer!

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

Old 05-23-2006, 03:25 AM

I have a July baby and an early May baby. I would not choose July again! I was so hot for those last few months of pregnancy and once the baby came I always worried about him getting too hot in the car, didn't want to take him outside, etc. Now that he's older it is so hot when we have his birthday parties and the house is full of people--bless my poor a/c for trying to keep up. Last year the icing on his cake was melting everywhere as I tried to decorate it! But I will admit I'm biased, I'm just not a hot-weather person. I'd love an October baby but being pregnant through the whole summer sounds like torture!

My May baby was great timing. I loved the full coverage of the winter maternity clothes but I wasn't so pregnant in the coldest part of winter that I ever outgrew my coat. I never had to feel huge and overheated and sweaty. I hate being sweaty. Unless it is for a very good reason. Anyway, when I was in labor it was the most beautiful weather to take a walk outside. I'd love to have another spring baby--maybe even a bit earlier in the spring--if DH would ever agree!
Old 05-23-2006, 04:01 AM

i agree with Tara, i had a July baby, it was HOOOOt, i was swollen and uncomfortable.
i'd like a winter/spring baby next time...but who knows?

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

Old 05-23-2006, 08:35 AM

i thought my may baby was perfect timing... conceived in sept. though maybe i'd like even earlier in the spring for the next one... maybe mid-late march. then it's beautiful weather by the time you're recovered and the babe is starting to be more aware of its surroundings.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:08 PM

I had a January babe and a May babe. I'd take May in a heartbeat. As a pp said it good for educators.

DS1 was born during a mild winter (and very cloudy), but I tend to be bit seasonal and short days and postpartum hormones were not a very good mix for me. DS1 alas was mildly juandiced and my doctor encourage giving him sun, but there was none to be had.

Also DS1 behaves so much better when he gets to be outside. It was much easier to put a newborn in the sling and go to the park than hunt for some place to get some exercise in the winter.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:50 PM

I loved having my May and April babies. Here are my reasons:

I wasn't very pregnant in the summer

got to hide out in big, baggy maternity clothes over the winter

the babies came with the arrival of spring

it was easy to get out with a little one in the summer because it's not cold

by the time it is cold and the season for illnesses, the baby is 5-6 months old and much more sturdy

And by the time the 2nd summer rolls around, you have a toddler who can enjoy playing at the park, going to the zoo, pool, and may be going down to one nap to free up even more of you nice-weather time!

Stacy-- Wife to my DH, mom to three: noodle girl:, Lego boy , little guy :
Old 05-25-2006, 04:31 AM

I had a winter baby and I definitely want to have the next in the winter! It's much easier/funner to get a baby warm than cooling it off in the summer. I also loved the summer maternity clothes and if you need to stay cool just turn on the A/C if you have it or go swimming. But this is coming from a person who despises the heat and prefers cold/rainy/thunderstormy/snowy weather so I'm not the norm LOL

Suffering severe baby fever : with my DH and my DD (12/5/03) :
Planning on TTC in 2010!! :
Old 05-26-2006, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malila
Really, *really* I know we can't plan these things perfectly, but I was wondering if anyone wanted to share what they think is the the best season to get pregnant/give birth?
I haven't read the rest of the replies, but my DD was born on July 7th and I will plan any future kids the same way if possible. I liked this time for several reasons (listed below). For me, being pregnant in the heat is a small concern compared to what time of year the child is born. I am much more concerned about the latter.

So, I really liked July because,

1) Easy to dress newborn/0-3 months baby in the summer. Don't have to worry about shoes or socks, etc.
2) Easy to take them out in the stroller for the reasons above, while you are still getting used to everything else.
3) You don't have to worry about overheating them with lots of layers of clothes during the day or at night, which is actually more of a risk in than being too cold in the early months.
4) Lots of sunlight and long days so you have the extra energy to be getting less sleep.
5) I really liked that DD was sitting up, but still young, by the holidays.
6) During her second summer when she began to walk, Robeez were all she needed, inside and out. I was able to put off hard soled shoes until Sep/Oct.
7) I liked that she was 11-14 months during the summer. She really enjoyed getting in the pool with me and walking around outside.
8) I liked that she was almost 18 months on her second Christmas. It was a good age because there were a lot of good gift ideas for the grandparents. Things we all of the sudden needed once she got to this age, like ride-on toys etc.
9) And now, in her third summer, I am hopeful that we can start potty learning while the weather is warm.

I think there's more but I can't think of any more right now.

As far as pregnancy was concerned,

1) Found out by Thanksgiving and got to tell my family with pretty good certainty at the holidays as I was about 8-9 weeks or so.
2) The first trimester when I was tired all the time was in the winter when I tend to be more tired anyway.
3) I was able to wear regular clothes through most of the winter and only had to buy Spring and Summer maternity clothes--which for me were mostly the same thing since I was working full time.
4) Since I wanted to keep mum about my pregnancy for a while at work it was easy since I could wear the baggier winter clothes.
5) There wasn't even really a long stretch of heat that I had to deal with. And I was at work in air conditioning all day. Maybe if it was not your first child and you were at home this would make a difference.

I think a July birthday sounds fun too--I am thinking summer pool party. I mean, it's not during the school year, but mine was and I didn't think it was that big of a deal.

My next choices would be June or May.

Granted these are all somewhat superficial reasons, but all else being equal and you have the luxury to plan your pregnancy, my vote is for late-Spring/early Summer, May-July.

{Partner to DH  and Former WOHM, now SAHM  to DD, DD , and DS } *** ***
Old 05-26-2006, 05:41 PM

After reading the replies, I agree that there are two more reasons for a late-Spring/early Summer baby.

1) Avoiding S.A.D/post-partum depression.
2) Fall and winter illness is easier to handle with an older baby.

Great post!

Old 05-26-2006, 07:04 PM

I don't have children but am ttc. If we get pg this month it will be Feb baby. I like the idea of wearing maternity clothes in winter, nice and covered up. it will be nice to cuddle close during the holidays knowing baby is coming. Also, by the time summer comes the baby would be old enough to take outside and maybe even to my favorite health and harmony festival.

Holistic Moms Network Monterey Chapter, co-leader!
Mama to oneboy 6/20/07 and due Mid-August
Old 05-26-2006, 07:05 PM

Personally, if dh agrees to one more, I want it in February. Of course, I'll be happy no matter when it's born.

Mine have all been c-sections, and even though I'm planning to homebirth if I have another one, I do realize that c-sections are always possible (do I!) and there is the slight added risk of a rupture. So...if I have to spend another bunch of weeks recovering from surgery, I don't want it to be in the spring or summer. One of dh's reservations about another baby is that we've only been together for five years, and I've been pregnant, recovering from surgery and/or breastfeeding an infant for over 3.5 of that! He'd really like to have some time with me when I'm more...mobile. I don't want to be hugely pregnant in the summer again, either. I'm already overweight and last July felt like half a year to me. February would work well - I'd be in really early pregnancy in the summer, and if bad luck should come my way and I get sectioned again, I should be back on my feet well enough for family outings by the time ds1 goes on Spring Break.

I was kind of planning to start ttc next month, but dh still hasn't agreed to another baby, and I don't think he's going to.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 05-26-2006, 07:09 PM

Everyone's different spins on things are interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonJelly
1) Easy to dress newborn/0-3 months baby in the summer. Don't have to worry about shoes or socks, etc.
I like sleepers just as well, and they keep baby warm. (Of course, I'm in Vancouver, and we don't get really brutal winters here.)

Quote:
3) You don't have to worry about overheating them with lots of layers of clothes during the day or at night, which is actually more of a risk in than being too cold in the early months.
I was worried about ds2 overheating just from the temperature outside and in our home last July/August. It was so warm, and once the baby's down to naked, there's not much more to be done.

Quote:
4) Lots of sunlight and long days so you have the extra energy to be getting less sleep.
Ah...that one didn't apply to me, as I don't sleep well in the summer, and the heat saps my energy totally. Plus, I was recovering from surgery, and all the sweat ended up causing an infection in my incision.

Anyway - not arguing. As I said, I just find the different perspectives on the same time of year interesting. (I wish ds2 had had your baby's birthday - I probably wouldn't have been cut, then.)

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 05-26-2006, 07:15 PM

I have 2 spring babies (on May, one April) and really like it that way. The *only* bad thing I can think of was that with baby no. 2 I had horrible m/s right in the hottest part of the year end of August through Sept. This made dd's dirty diapers in the pail REEK, everything smells worse when its hot, and its just plain miserable to be puking all day when its super hot out Of course I wouldn't want to be in the 3rd trimester in summer either! If we have a third (which I'm doubting even though I would love too), I'd plan for the same time of the year.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

Old 05-26-2006, 07:36 PM

This is an interesting question!

For givng birth, I like the March/April time frame.

You don't spend any time big and pregnant during the hot season.

You don't have to worry about your newborn weathering the cold/flu/rsv season.

Only major holiday during that time you have to worry about is Easter.

You don't have to worry about school cut-off dates (as with Sept/Oct birthdates). (If you decide to school outside the home.)

Having said that, any time of the year it happens for you will be wonderful!
Old 05-27-2006, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride
Everyone's different spins on things are interesting.

Anyway - not arguing. As I said, I just find the different perspectives on the same time of year interesting. (I wish ds2 had had your baby's birthday - I probably wouldn't have been cut, then.)
What do you mean about the birthday? Did you go late? My DD was almost four weeks early actually. She was due on August 1. It's funny because I thought for sure it would be mid-August or something and I pretty much freaked when my water broke on the 4th of July! Everything was fine though--no problems.

That is interesting about the various perspectives. I agree that it probably makes a difference where you live. I don't like the heat either actually, but I guess we had some decent A/C going! What are your average summer temps in BC? I also imagine your days are pretty long in July up there, so I can understand what you mean. I spent a few days North of Toronto in July once and it was light until at least 10pm. I used to get a little manic in June and July even here in Maryland. Now I seem to need all the light I can get.

Old 05-27-2006, 12:29 AM

Thanks MellyBelly!

User Tag List