Mirena removed and hormone changes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-26-2006, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got it out a week ago tomorrow, and I'm wondering if my hormones are all crazy because of it. I had a bad reaction to it when I had it in (for 3 years) and 3 days after it was out I got my first AF in 2 years. It was heavy and lasted 2 days. Then it stopped. But yesterday. Man, my poor dh. I was sooo mad and I don't even know why! I mean, I was awful, and I couldn't stop my feeling of sheer anger. That's very unlike me. And all he did was say he needed a haircut. Poor guy! And I have this screaming headache that just won't go away. Anyone else have hormone issues after coming off mirena, or am I nuts????

Rigama

addicted, homeschooling, freelancing mama to DS 8. Pet mama to Harvey the Wonder Mutt :, Pnut: and Autumn : Oh, yeah, and
#2 of 8 Old 06-27-2006, 01:49 PM

Ohh my goodness. I was thinking the exact same thing. I had my IUD removed around the 19th to start charting. I feel like a friggen wreck. After a huge melt down with the dreaded in-laws, I tried to figure out why I was so emotional. I was totally searching for this exact thread. I seriously thought I was going a little crazy.

Hopefully someone else has gone through this already. Maybe they could let us know how long this goes on for. I'm a super wreck over here!! My hubbs told me I was a bit "screwwy" last night. He thinks I'm headed for the lunny bin. Good old hubby, always trying to cheer me up!!!

One more thing.....just re-read your post. You've got headaches now too????? I rarely ever get one and this is my third since getting it out.

Sara & Oscar (04/11/26)
#3 of 8 Old 06-27-2006, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for responding Ozzysmama.

Yes, I get headaches too. But I have a lifelong history of them. I'm guessing from the lack of response here that people either don't have the experience of having an iud removed or they did not react the way I did. Which isn't surprising. I posted on the Mirena Poll thread about my reactions to it and I think I may be a rare individual hormonally

But, I don't think you're going nuts. I feel so, so...ugh. Just off kilter and out of whack. Highly emotional and sensitive. I really think getting it out is causing this. Hopefully we'll both regulate in the next couple of months!

Edited to add...Mine was removed on the 20th.
Rigama

addicted, homeschooling, freelancing mama to DS 8. Pet mama to Harvey the Wonder Mutt :, Pnut: and Autumn : Oh, yeah, and
#4 of 8 Old 06-28-2006, 04:30 PM

How bad does it hurt when they take it out?
#5 of 8 Old 06-28-2006, 05:39 PM

... : I actually took my own out. I never had the strings cut on it you see... and I was curious about it so I reached in and just gave it a VERY gentle pull and it was in my hand. It didn't hurt at all. Felt a little relieving actually.

I did it on Friday and started my period Saturday afternoon. I'm anxiously hoping to get pregnant this cycle.

I have noticed that my period is quite a bit more uncomfortable than normal. Very crampy, blood color is very dark. And I've been pretty tired.
#6 of 8 Old 06-28-2006, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

I was very concerned that it would hurt getting it removed. My fear was that scar tissue may have grown over it and would have to be torn. My dr. explained that where it was, it's very "sloshy" so scar tissue doesn't generally grow there. It didn't hurt to have it removed. It felt like a little pinch, but that was it. In fact, the Pap exam was waaaay worse.

#7 of 8 Old 06-28-2006, 08:52 PM

It didn't hurt when it was taken out. Wasn't the most comfortable place to be, but it wasn't painful. I was terrified. I don't even do well with paps. I called a head to see if I should take something for the pain!!!!! I felt great afterwards too. Wasn't anything like getting it inserted. Thank goodness!

Sara & Oscar (04/11/26)
#8 of 8 Old 06-30-2006, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_plus_one
... : I actually took my own out.
My sister works at Planned Parenthood and said it's fine to take it out yourself. That's what I will do when the time comes. Probably wait for AF since my cervix will be a little open at the time.

I'm planning to take mine out in about 3 months so it's good to know that if I start acting like a total pyscho I can have something to blame it on!

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page