Charting, Trying, Hoping to Avoid: July 2006 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 72 Old 07-03-2006, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hay, the newbie gets to start the new post for the month!!

But I also have a question. I'd like to know how many cycles did it take you to get "the hang" of it so that you stop using a barrier method during those non-fertile times?

Granted, I've only been charting for like 5 days now, so im prolly going to keep protected for the next couple of cycles, but when did you feel like, ok yea, i know im fertile now and no im not fertile now and just DTD all carefree-like? LOL!

Im guessing, I won't be comfortable until I have at least 4 good cycles under my belt. How about u?

NMY actively making my dreams happen :
#2 of 72 Old 07-03-2006, 06:20 PM

3 or 4 cycles. But you know, even though I've been at this a while, there are still times when I'm unsure about stuff, it doesn't happen as often as it did in the beginning though. I think it probably would have been easier had we taken a class.
#3 of 72 Old 07-03-2006, 06:48 PM

Jumping back in (assuming I'm not PG) I stopped charting for about three months; just hadn't been getting enough sleep and my temps were all over the place. I'm regretting that now, b/c I'm on CD39 (typically 26-30 day cycles) and I have no idea what's going on with my body! I tested last night and got a negative; not sure if I should start temping tomorrow just to see where I'm at or wait around for AF to show?!? Where is she??

I learned my lesson though even if my temps are off I'll keep charting, at least then I'll have some clue about what's going on!

Mama to three wonderful boys and a fabulous baby girl.
My heartfelt thanks to all those that have donated milk to others; you are amazing
#4 of 72 Old 07-03-2006, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
subbing...

At some point DS might let me catch up!

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#5 of 72 Old 07-04-2006, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Can somebody please take a look at my chart? : Based on CM and CP, I think I ovulated several days ago and I should be "safe" now- but according to my temps nothing's happening.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#6 of 72 Old 07-04-2006, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

To ME in my charting novice eyes, it looks like u ovulated on CD 19, but don't listen to me, Im guessing, we'll see what the pros have to say, lol

I also have a question, in TCOYF it tells you that if you have any alcohol the night before you have to throw out your temp the next day....is that really true? I mean, hubby and I have recently found a hobby in sippin and discovering different types of wines together and now that im charting, im scared to sip the wine for fear I will mess up my temps the next day.

Does the book mean ANY alcohol or just drinking after a certain time at night or what? Im really confused on this, lol. I never drink enough to even get buzzed either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla
Can somebody please take a look at my chart? : Based on CM and CP, I think I ovulated several days ago and I should be "safe" now- but according to my temps nothing's happening.

NMY actively making my dreams happen :
#7 of 72 Old 07-04-2006, 07:13 PM

Quote:
I don't think you've ovulated yet. If you omit the temp on cd 20, only 1 of the temps is above your coverline. When I have missing or discarded temps, I still count back to the previous 6 temps. I'm not sure if that's the correct way, but I think that's what you do. If you do that, if you leave the temp on cd 20 in and say ovulation happened on cd19, you won't have any temps above the coverline. I would treat it like you haven't ovulated yet.
#8 of 72 Old 07-04-2006, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Lioness
I also have a question, in TCOYF it tells you that if you have any alcohol the night before you have to throw out your temp the next day....is that really true? I mean, hubby and I have recently found a hobby in sippin and discovering different types of wines together and now that im charting, im scared to sip the wine for fear I will mess up my temps the next day.

Does the book mean ANY alcohol or just drinking after a certain time at night or what? Im really confused on this, lol. I never drink enough to even get buzzed either.
For me, I have to wake up with a hangover for the alcohol to effect my temp. I mark it on my chart that I had a glass of wine (or 2 or 3 lol!) but don't discard unless it is obviously out of place. I also try not to drink too much when I might be ovulating.. I broke that rule last month and it was hard for me to tell if my temp shift was because of all the alcohol or from ovulation.
#9 of 72 Old 07-04-2006, 08:32 PM

Thanks for the input ladies.

At this point, it's probably more likely that I'm having an infertile cycle than that I'm going to ovulate late. It just seems so weird- all the signs that I check seem to point to O, but then the temp doesn't confirm it. This means that I can't assume I'm "safe".

#10 of 72 Old 07-05-2006, 10:59 AM

I to have had to continue to use teh barrier methids until I get the "hang" of it. I am having similiar issues with irregular cycles and strange phenomenons. Can ANYBODY help me?
#11 of 72 Old 07-05-2006, 11:20 AM

So, I'm not PG. My cycle was 40 days though, I've never had a cycle that long--even my first regular cycle after giving birth was only 36 days?!?

Not sure what the heck is going on with my body; but I'm charting again and we're also using condoms during my entire cycle until I figure things out.

My heartfelt thanks to all those that have donated milk to others; you are amazing
#12 of 72 Old 07-05-2006, 11:01 PM

afishwithabike, I can try to help, no promises on answers though! What's going on?

mamato2boys, *whew*
#13 of 72 Old 07-06-2006, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Can you take another look? Now FF thinks I O'd a full week after my cervix and CM signs say I did- and why is my coverline a dotted line instead of a solid one?

#14 of 72 Old 07-06-2006, 09:53 AM

I think they use the dotted line to show that your temp signs aren't matching up with your cervix signs...so they're basically guessing about O.

It looks to me like your haven't O'ed this month.

#15 of 72 Old 07-06-2006, 11:11 AM

Ruthla, I don't think you've O'ed yet either. It looks like your body was trying to on CD 19-20 and then it didn't. Bodies are so frustrating sometimes!

You all remember how wonky my temps were in June when I was asking for advice? Well, I never figured out why they were so erratic but I finally did O on CD 21. : Now I'm 9 DPO, which is a long LP for me. I had a big dip at 4 DPO. There's no way that could be an implantation dip, could it? I know it's unlikely, but : Please tell me what you think!
#16 of 72 Old 07-06-2006, 11:40 AM

Tara- 4 days in a row of exactly 97.3- are you sure your thermometer is working properly? Based on your temps, I can't say it's even certain you O'd this month.

#17 of 72 Old 07-06-2006, 12:14 PM

Well, it's kind of funny about the temps. They were so erratic earlier that I didn't think my thermometer was working so I started taking my temp with two thermometers at once (looks very funny I'm sure ). But the second thermometer just confirmed them! They actually are accurate temps. Just strange ones!

I do think I O'ed though. When you discard the temps on CD 17 and 20 (restless nights with DD) the pattern looks more clear.
#18 of 72 Old 07-07-2006, 12:52 AM

Subbing! Thanks for starting the new thread, Brownlioness.

Yeah, I would say it took me 3 or 4 cycles. My third cycle was very long and wonky, so that threw me off. But after the 4th it settled in and I got the hang of it.

Ruth, I think you may have O'd on CD 23, 24 or 25 - based on the CP change and temp change. The stray high temps are hard - I tend to have those on the weekends (when I inevitably sleep in), so it is easy for me to ID those and toss them out.

Tara - I'm not sure about an implantation dip that large. Was there anything else that could cause a low temp that day? I ask b/c this past weekend we were staying in hotels, and I woke up freezing the one morning (impossible to control the room temp in those places!) and my temp was very low - a 1.1^ drop!

Oh, and Brownlioness, I wouldn't worry about a small amount of alcohol making a difference. You may note it on your chart just to see if it affects you in the long run, but I think any temp change would be minor (especially for only a small amount of alcohol!)

Mama to J (Apr 01 '08) and N (Feb 13 '10)
#19 of 72 Old 07-07-2006, 02:00 PM

subbing. Hey, I had five days in a row with the same temp this past cycle too. It was starting to wierd me out, but was accurate, and the cycle has ended up being fairly normal overall. Our bodies are wierd but truly wonderful things.
#20 of 72 Old 07-07-2006, 03:07 PM

Subbing!
I seem to have a creamy BIP. Anyone else? This is my first cycle of relying solely on FAM, so I want to get this right. What do you do when you have days and days of creamy/lotiony CM? Abstain or use a barrier method? Do a little guesswork? (I have long cycles so we've been taking a few chances early on in this cycle...plus we plan to TTC in a few months so a PG would be fine, just a bit earlier than we planned on.) Any other info you can offer about this?
#21 of 72 Old 07-07-2006, 06:53 PM

Well, I am not PG! The idea of an oops sounded kind of cool at first, but the longer my LP got the more I was freaking out! So I'm relieved. Don't know what that dip was but AF arrived today after a lovely 9 day LP. Maybe my body is finally getting more normal as DD weans more?

rosie29, I had a sticky/creamy BIP for a long time before I got my first PPAF. After a lot of observation I did treat those days as safe, because there really was a big shift (for me) between that and the wetter CM and then the EWCM. I did always make sure to verify that there was no wetter/more fertile CM at my cervix before we DTD though. So, it is riskier but can be done in some cases IMO. Sounds like you are okay with a little bit of risk though. Good luck!
#22 of 72 Old 07-07-2006, 07:20 PM

Well Tara, now I can definitely say that you have NOT O'd yet this cycle!

#23 of 72 Old 07-07-2006, 08:01 PM

hey ladies!! Sorry I've been absent lately, my internet hasn't been working (grrr). Anyway, I have a couple of questions. First of all, how long are most people's luteal phases? According to FF, I ovulated on the 21st CD (which looks right...) its now been 10 days since then...are cycles really this long? If so, that whole "28 days" thing is the most ridiculous idea ever...

secondly, I am having a hard time figuring out how to assess my cervix. I've got the cm thing down, but the position, etc...i don't even really know what I'm feeling for!! Sorry for such a tmi question, but I really have no idea where it is or how to tell if its open, or high, or whatever.

Thanks for the help!! I am having so much fun learning about the whole charting thing!!
#24 of 72 Old 07-07-2006, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Well Tara, now I can definitely say that you have NOT O'd yet this cycle!
Wow, you're good! How can you tell?

Lydia, I would say that LPs range from 7 days (that's pretty short really, but might be normal in some of us nursing mamas due to the prolactin) to 14 days. So yours sounds just right. But yeah, that 28 day cycle thing is a bunch of bunk!

It can definitely be hard to figure out the cervix position at first. I will try to describe it as best I can, sorry if it's TMI. I like to check mine while sitting on the toilet, it seems lowest and easiest to find then. I check with my second finger--dunno why, maybe because it's longer? LOL. I can pretty much always feel it with that finger unless I'm ovulating. It's towards the back of the vagina and kind of on the "top" wall, like the bladder is just on the other side of that wall. I can judge what position it's in by how easy it is to find--if I feel it quickly near the entrance then it's low, if my finger is further in it's in the middle, if I can't find it then it's high. It changes from firm, almost like the tip of my nose, to really soft and mushy like the rest of the vagina. If you start right after AF then it will probably be lowest and easiest to find, then keep checking every day and you'll get used to the changes I bet.

Does that help at all? Or do I just sound like a dork? It will get easier with practice!
#25 of 72 Old 07-09-2006, 01:28 PM

Lydia, the cervix sign is so hard for me to make heads and tails of! I think the more I do it, the better I get at figuring it out. I've been checking for almost 3 cycles now and it's still confusing. When mine is high, it's really really high and I can barely feel it, and when it's open it's REALLY open.

I just got af... and guess what? my cycle was 28 days! I've never had a 28 day long cycle. I'm kinda bummed about it, I was getting happy with every 31-35 days! I don't want to do this every 28 days. here's the chart if you're interested :

Is anyone on cycle with the moon? I remember reading about lunaception and how our cycles are linked to the phases of the moon because of the night lighting it provides. I think with lunaception you ovulate with the full moon and have your period with the new moon? Am I remembering that right? My cycle is exactly opposite that. Oh well, I never do anything the 'right' way :
#26 of 72 Old 07-09-2006, 01:35 PM

My cycles continue to be very unusual. Last month was the 40 day cycle that I posted about earlier. AF was here for four days, which is my norm. Then I had two days with no CM and now AF is back full force??????? Now I'm completely baffled! Never had a 40 day cycle and never had this pattern or AF coming/going/ and coming back.....that's really weird; right?

Any ideas?

#27 of 72 Old 07-09-2006, 02:36 PM

Hi ladies! Okay, newbie, newbie, newbie here... Would any of you fabulous ladies care to point me in the direction of a bit of info to get me going here? I'm getting ready to google some stuff but I thought I would get some input here as well.

What things would you say are essential for starting FAM? Also, I can figure out some of the abbreviations but not all. Is there a sticky somewhere? I'll bet in the main fertility forum, I'll check there as well.

I have a pretty good working knowledge of my monthly cycles and such but since PP I don't think I've had AF. Over the past few days I've been having tons of CM and I swear I O'd yesterday day or the day before, ouch!

We're using the diaphram, which I like, though I wish I could find a natural spermicide. My lady parts are pretty darn sensitive and I would not like to upset things, KWIM? I haven't really had issues now like I did before getting on probiotics though. I know that even with the spermicide we're using that with perfect use the diaphram's failure rate is about 6%. We're also using condoms.

To be extra careful we want to do a combo of the three methods at different times in my cycle. We'd love another babe but would like to wait till DS is about 2 before TTC.

Also, I can't really get to a class. Is there a site online that has teaching sessions and discussions that anyone could recommend?

DS keeps me pretty busy so I haven't really had time to go through June's thread so if I'm asking for a repeat of info already given, so sorry. Search is in the wind.

Hmmm... this turned into a way longer post than I'd intended. Whoops! I can be pretty longwinded though. Anyways, TIA for any input you care to bestow.

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

#28 of 72 Old 07-09-2006, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach
Is anyone on cycle with the moon? I remember reading about lunaception and how our cycles are linked to the phases of the moon because of the night lighting it provides. I think with lunaception you ovulate with the full moon and have your period with the new moon? Am I remembering that right?
Me Me!! I've been really excited about the fact that I've been on cycle with the moon for about the past year. I think it happened gradually after we moved into our house - we have skylights in the bedroom, and I think that's why.

But, I am starting to think that I am moving away from this cycle. I have a 12 day LP, so I think I've usually O'd a few days after the full moon, then AF starts with the new moon. But last month I O'd right at the full moon, and AF showed up a few days before the new moon, so that phenomenon might be ending for me. This month, I believe the full moon is Monday night, so I am a little earlier (I think I Oed yesterday or today). So, who knows, it might just have been a coincidence.

mamacatsbaby, the best place to start is Taking Charge of Your Fertility.

I've been thinking about getting a sticky started with a FAM primer. What do you guys think?

Mama to J (Apr 01 '08) and N (Feb 13 '10)
#29 of 72 Old 07-09-2006, 06:03 PM

cking I think a sticky FAM primer would be awesome!
#30 of 72 Old 07-10-2006, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach
cking I think a sticky FAM primer would be awesome!

Oh, and thanks for the TCOYF (lookie there, using abbreviations already! ) rec!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page