Problems with DepoProvera=Problems with Mirena IUD? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-12-2006, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here I am 7 weeks postpartum and I still haven't decided on a method of bc! I was planning on getting the Mirena IUD, but have done some more research on it and am very concerned about the fact that the hormone is the same as what's in the depoprovera shot which made me gain a LOT of weight. Is there a correlation?

Also, one of my mws told me that my cervix was very high up so insertion would be "difficult" which I interpreted to mean "very painful." Does anyone have any knowledge/experience they can share? Thanks!
#2 of 12 Old 07-12-2006, 04:45 PM

Just from my experience...
I HATED Depo. It made me an emotional/hormonal wreck. No other side effects like weight gain or anything, just really emotionally unstable.

The mirena was great though. I had absolutely no side effects except for no periods.

I think the mirena is a much lower dose of the hormone, so it doesn't ahve the same side effects as depo. I would double-check that info though.

Good luck!
#3 of 12 Old 07-15-2006, 04:05 AM

I've heard the hormones in the mirena are localised in the uterus, so they're not circulated around in the bloodstream the way they do with the shot/implant/pill. Thus the rate of side effects is much lower. It's been true in my case. The only side effects I've had from my mirena are spotting and cramping.
#4 of 12 Old 07-23-2006, 07:59 PM

Any other opinions? I'm curious too.
#5 of 12 Old 07-23-2006, 08:34 PM

I owuld never in a million years use Depo, but I loved my Mirena so much I'm getting one even after I have a tubal ligation.

The insertion may be challenging, but it shouldn't necessarily be more painful.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
#6 of 12 Old 07-23-2006, 09:14 PM

well i love my mirena. i liked the fact that the hormones are local and low dose. depo gave me weight gain and terrible acne. my insertion was easy though i think even a painful insertion would have been worth it for the benefits.
#7 of 12 Old 07-23-2006, 10:03 PM

I would not consider DEPO as a long term BC solution. DEPO can increase your risk of osteoporosis. They have modified the usage recomendations to limit use for a total of 2 years over the life span. My doctor said she won't give it to any girls that are still forming bone mass because it reduces the bodies ability to absorb calcium.
#8 of 12 Old 07-23-2006, 10:52 PM

i think everyone here pretty much has it right...with mirena, it is a much lower dose of hormone dispersee directly in your vagina........so you just don't get side effects like with other methods.

CPST
#9 of 12 Old 07-24-2006, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for everyone's opinions! I got my Mirena on Thursday and so far, no problems. My MW numbed my cervix before inserting it, so I had very little pain. I'll try to update this thread later regarding weight gain.
#10 of 12 Old 07-25-2006, 01:33 AM

Good luck!

I was on Depo for a few years and hated it. Terrible mood swings, weight gain, etc.

I had the Mirena IUD for two years, I wasn't able to lose weight as easily as before but I didn't gain either.
#11 of 12 Old 07-26-2006, 09:14 PM

If you are someone who is very sensitive to hormones in bc, the Mirena CAN do the same thing. Did to me. There are quite a few threads with info. The good thing is if it isn't for you, it is easy to remove and the hormonal side effects stop within a few days. Mirena Wasn't for me but so happy I ruled it out with my own body.
#12 of 12 Old 11-14-2006, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

An update: I've had the Mirena IUD for almost 4 months, and I'm already getting it out. I can feel it (still, and I've had my string length checked), I've gained about 13 pounds and have zero sex drive. We're switching to condoms and NFP.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page