"Orgasm causes ovulation" - high school health teacher - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 08-26-2006, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, I've read TCOYF so I know that orgasm does NOT cause ovulation (I don't often post to this board - perhaps you've already discussed the rampant misinformation re: NFP/FAM among 'health professionals' : ). It's been a few years since I've read it, however, and I've loaned my copy out . My question is, my cervix seems to be very soft the day after BD, which I have occasionally interpreted as fertility (accompanied by the words "Oh, crap" ). Is this because of the prostaglandin in sperm -- why sex is recommended to induce labor? Does this happen to everyone? Is this why some people believe that BD/orgasm causes ovulation?

I'm still waiting for AF to return after DD's birth (12 months and counting - woo hoo!), so using CM/cervical position as BC. I've taken PG tests two separate times, thinking I'd O'd right after BD before I thought of the prostaglandin thing as a possible reason for a soft cervix...

Jill, wife to J, mama to O (10/03), MK (7/05), angel1.gif(7/09), A (5/4/10), and ***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stork-suprise.gif** 

#2 of 21 Old 08-26-2006, 12:34 PM

I haven't heard that orgasm causes ovulation, but I have heard that orgasm can increase your chance of conception because the cervix sucks up the semen (for lack of a better way to explain this.) I don't know if it's true, I haven't read TCOYF yet, I'm planning on going to the library today. I would think that the semen might soften the cervix (as it does to induce labor.)
#3 of 21 Old 08-26-2006, 01:01 PM

Ha. If it caused ovulation, then theoretically, many of us would be ovulating twenty times a month and our ovaries would look like shrivelled raisins within a year.
#4 of 21 Old 08-26-2006, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstkid4me
I haven't heard that orgasm causes ovulation, but I have heard that orgasm can increase your chance of conception because the cervix sucks up the semen (for lack of a better way to explain this.) I don't know if it's true, I haven't read TCOYF yet, I'm planning on going to the library today. I would think that the semen might soften the cervix (as it does to induce labor.)
Yep, orgasm has the added benefit of "sucking up the semen" by making the cervix open. I guess it would only qualify as a "benefit" if you're actually trying to conceive as opposed to preventing through.

There is some information out there now that indicates sex may actually PROLONG labor. I can't recall the exact mechanism for that, but you can probably Google it and find some of the articles I'm referring to.

In response to the OP, your cervix is probably softer after intercourse due to the opening of the cervix and the chemical content of semen. Most FAM resources (like TCOYF) recommend NOT checking the position of your cervix or consistency of your cervical fluid too soon after intercourse due to these issues.
#5 of 21 Old 08-26-2006, 01:41 PM

Oh what horrible information to give to high schoolers! If orgasam causes ovulation, then obviously if you dont orgasam then you can't get pregnant right? I just got out of high school 2 years ago, most of my friends would have come to this conclusion. I can see many unwanted pregnancies occuring because of this "information"
#6 of 21 Old 08-26-2006, 08:37 PM

My dh used to think this! We were 18 when we met. He mentioned it once...I looked at him and said "Dear, Im NOT a cat" Then explained in detail with a chart. He found it very odd...
#7 of 21 Old 08-26-2006, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrystalC
Yep, orgasm has the added benefit of "sucking up the semen" by making the cervix open. I guess it would only qualify as a "benefit" if you're actually trying to conceive as opposed to preventing through.

There is some information out there now that indicates sex may actually PROLONG labor. I can't recall the exact mechanism for that, but you can probably Google it and find some of the articles I'm referring to.

In response to the OP, your cervix is probably softer after intercourse due to the opening of the cervix and the chemical content of semen. Most FAM resources (like TCOYF) recommend NOT checking the position of your cervix or consistency of your cervical fluid too soon after intercourse due to these issues.
So if you don't want to get pregnant, marry a minute man
#8 of 21 Old 08-26-2006, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alana
My dh used to think this! We were 18 when we met. He mentioned it once...I looked at him and said "Dear, Im NOT a cat" Then explained in detail with a chart. He found it very odd...
Yup, I was going to say, sex (though not orgasm per se) does trigger ovulation in cats. Last I checked I wasn't a cat either.

And if orgasm 'sucking up sperm' isn't a benefit for you, you can always try to have yours before our partner's - in which case there's much less sperm to suck up.

Agreed about the danger of that misinformation - teens deserve accurate and detailed information on their cycles.
#9 of 21 Old 08-26-2006, 09:52 PM

This is completely OT, but I tried explaining the whole cat thing to my dh years ago, but he didn't believe me. I'm so glad I didn't just imagine the whole explanation!

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

#10 of 21 Old 08-29-2006, 04:09 PM

My grandmother thought that you couldn't get pg unless you ovulated. If that were true then there would never be any pgs as a result of rape. Once I explained it to her she got it. It's so sad.

I think that your cervix may feel different due to the hormones released during sex, the semen, and the actual action of sex.
#11 of 21 Old 08-30-2006, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
My grandmother thought that you couldn't get pg unless you ovulated.
Umm, THAT is true! I think you meant, "...unless you orgasmed."

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#12 of 21 Old 08-30-2006, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey228
Oh what horrible information to give to high schoolers! If orgasam causes ovulation, then obviously if you dont orgasam then you can't get pregnant right? I just got out of high school 2 years ago, most of my friends would have come to this conclusion. I can see many unwanted pregnancies occuring because of this "information"
If a woman had to have an orgasm to get pregnant, the human race would have died out a long time ago!!
#13 of 21 Old 08-30-2006, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

:

The high school teacher gave the orgasm thing as a reason why NFP/FAM doesn't work. Nice.

Jill, wife to J, mama to O (10/03), MK (7/05), angel1.gif(7/09), A (5/4/10), and ***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stork-suprise.gif** 

#14 of 21 Old 08-30-2006, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillc512
:

The high school teacher gave the orgasm thing as a reason why NFP/FAM doesn't work. Nice.
Oh geez, I'm so glad I'll be homeschooling...
#15 of 21 Old 08-30-2006, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnviroBecca
Umm, THAT is true! I think you meant, "...unless you orgasmed."
Oops, yes you're right. That's what I really meant. How funny.
#16 of 21 Old 08-30-2006, 05:22 PM

So how does she think my two kids (21 month old and a baby due in Feb)_ came about because I've never had an orgasm.

Mama of three.

#17 of 21 Old 09-03-2006, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Baudelaire
Ha. If it caused ovulation, then theoretically, many of us would be ovulating twenty times a month and our ovaries would look like shrivelled raisins within a year.
or more :

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#18 of 21 Old 09-03-2006, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
By that logic, masturbation could cause pregnancy- hey, the Virgin Mary has just been explained!

Seriously, I wonder if people are mixing up EWCM with arousal fluid and/or semen.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#19 of 21 Old 09-08-2006, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla
Seriously, I wonder if people are mixing up EWCM with arousal fluid and/or semen.
Sadly, yes. And in the reverse way, too. I had a co-worker ages ago, who broke up with his live-in girlfriend b/c he saw her underwear, and noticed that there was, in the gross way he put it, "snail tracks" in the crotch area. He thought that meant she was having sex with someone else during the day. I was "condom-woman" at the time and so had never had the experience of semen being in my undies, and also I was so dumbfounded at THAT being a reason to assume cheating, that I couldn't figure out how to say that it could just be she was ovulating...
#20 of 21 Old 09-08-2006, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmh23
So how does she think my two kids (21 month old and a baby due in Feb)_ came about because I've never had an orgasm.

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#21 of 21 Old 09-08-2006, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmh23
I'll agree with you. I've never had an orgasm either and yet I have a 15 month old and 2 month old. Appearantly they have the "who"(man or woman) mixed up. I know there can be sperm in the pre-e fluid but usually a man has to orgasm to get you pg, right?

Me : DD 5/05: DS1 7/06 : DS2 11/07: DS3 3/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page