Tubal ligation vs Vasectomy - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 09-28-2006, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know that I am done having babies. We are trying to decide between a tubal and a vas. I know the risks of the tubal are higher, but my concern are the long term side effects.

Have any of you who have had tubals had any side effects? Any loss of libido, screwed up periods, premature menopause, etc...?

Have any of your dh's who have had vasectomies had any long term side effects?

Thanks for your input.
#2 of 23 Old 09-28-2006, 04:16 PM

I have heard of issues with both I googled it a while ago. Most of the information was derived from people against controlling your family's numbers and therefore the information was a bit biased. Hope this helps. I am going to check some of the sites again. I'll be back.

Here's a medical link for known side effects.

http://www.vasectomy.md/Risk.htm
#3 of 23 Old 09-28-2006, 06:24 PM

The main issue with vasectomies, aside from them not working, seems to be something called post vasectomy pain syndrome. Estimates of how often this occurs vary wildly. It's mentioned only as an afterthought in the link the PP gave (which I'm not saying to knock the link, mind you; I think it's a good one), but I've seen claims of as many as 1/3 of the men having it.

Some women will tell you that vasectomies are bad because men's bodies aren't meant to reabsorb sperm. Problem with that argument is it's the opposite of the truth; men reabsorb sperm pretty much on a constant basis. (The man's suppy is renewed approximately every 3 days, ejaculations or no.) Allegations of it leading to cancer haven't been proven either.

The main issue with a tubal ligation, other than possible issues with the surgery itself, seems to be the possiblity of an ectopic pregnancy. The "failure rate" of a tubal is apparently 1 in 200, and of course not all of those are ectopic, but the ligation does increase the risk of a tubal pregnancy. And ectopic pregnancies are potentially life-threatening.

Here's a site with a bit of a comparison of the two, though obviously slanted towards vasectomy:
http://www.vascenters.com/tubal.htm

Here's another, apparently less-biased link:
http://womenshealth.about.com/cs/ste...lizhisorhe.htm

I'll quote the salient portion here:

Quote:
Tubal Ligation or Vasectomy?

* Vasectomy is a 30 minute procedure performed in the physician's office. Tubal ligation is performed in a hospital setting, most often on a day surgery unit.

* Vasectomy requires two small incisions in the scrotum performed under local anesthetic; tubal ligation involves a small abdominal incision usually performed under general anesthesia. Occasionally, surgeons will perform tubal ligation under local anesthetic, however, this option is rarely instituted.

* Vasectomy involves the cutting of the tubes (vas deferens) that carry sperm. The vas deferens are then sealed using either sutures or surgical clips on the end of each of the tubes. On the other hand, tubal ligation permanently ends the possibility of pregnancy by one of several methods; these methods typically involve cutting the fallopian tubes and then sealing them or clipping them so that sperm and egg cannot meet. You may have heard people say they had their "tubes tied," however, actually tying fallopian tubes is an antiquated method of tubal ligation that is no longer done by today's gynecologists.

* Recovery from vasectomy usually requires only that the patient refrain from heavy physical activity for approximately 48 hours; tubal ligation requires women to limit physical activity and heavy lifting for at least one week following surgery.

* Complications from vasectomy are relatively rare but can involve bleeding and infection, swelling of the scrotum, as well as the possibility of sperm granulomas (small, inflamed hard nodules at the end of the severed tube)--these usually heal on their own, however in some cases additional surgery may be required. Potential complications from tubal ligation include a slight risk of bleeding and infection.

* The failure rate for vasectomy is about 1 percent. The failure rate for tubal ligation is slightly higher at about 2 percent which translates into a risk of pregnancy occuring following tubal ligation of about 1 pregnancy in 1000 women who've undergone this procedure.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#4 of 23 Old 09-28-2006, 06:34 PM

No problem with dh's vasectomy here.

Major surgery for me vs. outpatient procedure for him? Easy choice for us.
Crazysquirrel likes this.
#5 of 23 Old 09-28-2006, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post
No problem with dh's vasectomy here.

Major surgery for me vs. outpatient procedure for him? Easy choice for us.
That definitely does make the vas a better option in our home too. I can't see DH taking GOOD care of the children for over a week while I recover. They'd be in sposies for a week. YUCK!!!!!!
#6 of 23 Old 09-28-2006, 06:43 PM

Thank you sagesgirl for the other links. I was having trouble finding sites that weren't pushing an agenda as I stated earlier. Keeping it to the medical statistics these days is pretty hard to do.
#7 of 23 Old 09-29-2006, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

The main issue now is whether either of us would want more children if the other were to die. I know I would not want any more, period. I don't think he's so sure of that. He might want more if he remarried. Which brings it full circle back to me getting a tubal.

Have you heard of post tubal syndrome? It sounds pretty scary. I causes premature menopause. I don't think it is very common but it can happen.

Thanks for the links and information!
#8 of 23 Old 09-29-2006, 01:02 PM

just correcting the info above, most vasectomies are now done through only ONE small incision. apparently there is also a method that involves no cutting at all, but it's harder to find a doc who does it (my husband did a bunch of research because of his massive needle phobia).
admittedly, a's vasectomy was only 1.5 months ago, but everything is going quite well. the incision is healed and he's had no residual pain. he has his first sperm count test next week-- hopefully we get an all clear (i'll cry if we don't).
#9 of 23 Old 09-30-2006, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchbaby View Post
just correcting the info above, most vasectomies are now done through only ONE small incision. apparently there is also a method that involves no cutting at all, but it's harder to find a doc who does it (my husband did a bunch of research because of his massive needle phobia).
admittedly, a's vasectomy was only 1.5 months ago, but everything is going quite well. the incision is healed and he's had no residual pain. he has his first sperm count test next week-- hopefully we get an all clear (i'll cry if we don't).

yes, one incision. we had to wait the full three months before we got the "all clear" test.
#10 of 23 Old 09-30-2006, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonsMamma View Post
yes, one incision. we had to wait the full three months before we got the "all clear" test.
a's supposed to go in at 6 weeks, then at 3 months, i believe. 6 weeks is next week!
#11 of 23 Old 09-30-2006, 01:07 AM

3 women in my family have had tubals and all 3 suffer from severe bipolar disorder now which started shortlt after. i don't know if there is a link, but i don't want to be #4.
#12 of 23 Old 09-30-2006, 04:56 PM

My mom had a tubal and has suffered HORRIBLY ever since....crazy horrible periods...bleeding 20-30 days a month every month for TEN YEARS...bad polyps, cysts, horrific cramps requiring narcotics (and my mom is no wimp, let me tell you!!)....she has had nothing but extreme problems ever since getting one. I would never get one after seeing what she has gone through. statistically, she might be in the "rare" side effect category, but really, when you ARE that person, and your life is transformed into a living HELL...well...you really don't care that it wasn't "likely" to happen to you....

CPST
#13 of 23 Old 10-02-2006, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Now I'm afraid to get a tubal, and dh doesn't want a vasectomy. He wants to keep his options open in case I die and he remarries. He already has three of his own! He said he'd give it some thought but I doubt he's going to do it.

I"m so sick of the Nuvaring destroying my sex drive. I need to find another highly effective form of bc.
#14 of 23 Old 10-02-2006, 08:22 PM

If your husband has bad asthma, allergies or a family history of auto-immune disorders you may want to really investigate getting a vasectomy. My husband backed out of his one week before after talking to someone about increased auto-immune problems in men who had had them. While the surgery is simpler, out patient, carries less risk in theory, the auto-immune risk was too much of a problem for us.

I am surprisingly pregnant after using NFP and condoms, and I had a consultation for a hysterectomy Oct. 30. Hahaha

Anyway I have decided on a tubal when I have my fourth csection, since, I will already be open on the table so increased pain and risk there, it will take all of 45 seconds (give or take) and after I finish breastfeeding I plan on getting rid of the whole shebang for medical reasons.
#15 of 23 Old 10-02-2006, 08:29 PM

Hi,
I felt I should tell you. After 3 children my dh and I decided on no more. Since I experienced all the childbirths, we decided he should have the vasectomy. Also we felt it was a simpler procedure for him than me.

It's more than 20 years later now and and we are doing fine with our decision.
He had no side-effects and no problems, sexual or otherwise. We had to use contraception until he was totally without viable sperm. After the test it's been smooth sailing ever since.

Good luck with your decision.
#16 of 23 Old 10-03-2006, 01:01 AM

No disrespect to anyone's dh, but I have a really hard time with guys saying they want to keep options open in case their wife dies. Especially when they already have children. I don't get placing more importance on some extremely hypothetical future than on what the two partners have together, right now and what is best for the future they're planning, together. This just seems really disrespectful to me, of the wife and of the marriage.
#17 of 23 Old 10-03-2006, 01:26 AM

Quote:
No disrespect to anyone's dh, but I have a really hard time with guys saying they want to keep options open in case their wife dies. Especially when they already have children. I don't get placing more importance on some extremely hypothetical future than on what the two partners have together, right now and what is best for the future they're planning, together. This just seems really disrespectful to me, of the wife and of the marriage.
Er, yeah, I was thinking that too. You just saved me the effort of typing it out.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#18 of 23 Old 10-03-2006, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I've been trying to explain to dh that this is how he is making me feel. Thanks for typing that out, maybe I can use some of your wordings to try and get my poiint across.
#19 of 23 Old 10-03-2006, 10:09 AM

I know some doctors strongly recommend you freeze some sperm before a vasectomy for those 'just in case' scenerios. That way, you can keep your options open and avoid attempting a costly reversal on the off chance you decide to have another. Which, really, (to get back to the OP ) is another vote for vasectomy over tubal.

Jill, wife to J, mama to O (10/03), MK (7/05), angel1.gif(7/09), A (5/4/10), and ***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stork-suprise.gif** 

#20 of 23 Old 10-31-2006, 04:59 PM

I'm scheduled for a tubal on Dec. 28th. I'm really scared now. I'm already on Zoloft for PPD and depression, and I don't want to go bi-polar. Our insuance will not pay for the "V" but will for the tubal.

I think I need to research more on this, and look to see how much a "V" will cost us out-of-pocket.
#21 of 23 Old 10-31-2006, 05:10 PM

Our V was $600. Insurance paid half. But even if it wasn't covered, I would consider it money well spent.

Heidi, I agree that in your shoes I'd cancel and do more research.
#22 of 23 Old 11-01-2006, 01:06 PM

I had a tubal ligation done when I was 21 (no children, didn't want them). Having the tubal actually helped my cycles regulate and for a lot of years (8 or so) the cramping was way less (before I was on hormonal BC to try and regulate me and help with severe cramping). Mine was done as an out patient procedure and I was at the beach the next day with very minimal pain/discomfort. The only real complaint I had about the proicedure was that they tore my throat up with the tube the shove down it. My throat was sore for ever a week, and the first few days I had a very hard time convincing myself to swollow anything, including fluids, ugh.
Course, I'm schedualed to have a tubal ligation reversal on December 13th now that we've decided we do want children after all (eleven years after the tubal heh).
As far as which is better, I have no opinion, sorry... just wanted to share my experience with it for those of you having one or considering one...
Good luck with whatever you decide, I hope it goes as planned
#23 of 23 Old 11-07-2006, 10:01 PM

The reason I decided to venture into this forum is that i'm thinking about doing the tubal instead of my husband doing a vasectomy. He does not feel "done".....I'm so done and i will never feel the need to have more children no matter what. He is considering be the one to get "fixed"......but i'm second guessing whether or not this is best. I have lots of time to research our options since i'm currently pregnant and will not be ready to undergo any procedure for at least a year (or two).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page