Diaphragm or cervical cap stories please! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 10-06-2006, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please tell me your stories and experiences with using a diaphragm or cervical cap for contraception...

I don't ever want to go back to hormones and pills (especially during breastfeeding!), sterilization is out since we want more kids, condoms are ok but I'm looking for something less disposable, and I don't want an IUD...what's left? Anyone have good (and bad, honest) experiences with diaphragms or caps?

A + J = Miriam (November 2006) and Raymond (June 2010)
#2 of 17 Old 10-06-2006, 08:42 PM

I used a diaphragm for a bit. It was okay. I liked the spontaneity and the ability to use it more than once, but I always found insertion & removal difficult (even though I'd be a FAM and Instead cup user) and it was never quite comfortable. I much preferred the Today sponge, though I normally would prefer reusable over disposible.
#3 of 17 Old 10-07-2006, 06:58 PM

I used a diaphragm between my first two babies.
The reasons were in short: Didnt want IUI for ethical reasons and because I was terrified to catch a uterine infection since I knew I definately wanted more kids.
We both hate condoms.
I was breastfeeding so didnt want to mess with anything by taking hormones.
My periods were irregular in a while after getting PPAF and I thought NFP was too much bother.

So I got a diaphragm.

The good things: Once in place I didnt feel it during sex, and neither did DH. In that aspect it was a comfy method of birthcontrol.

The bad things: It was BIG. I mean HUGE - I had imagined this small device - but it is the size of a teacup-plate..
It was difficult to get in place, and I was never sure if I had put it up properly.
I didnt like the idea of using chemicals (spermicides) in my vagina.
After ejaculation the fun was over. Then there could be no more (safe) messing around downthere - cause what if a few spermies made it through?
I once forgot it inside - for 4 days.. Nothing happened, but it was kind of gross..

Next time I will need to use contraception I will actually get one again, but I will not use it as my only option, but more like a backup for NFP - and then only use it when I'm fertile.. I think it is more comfy than condoms by far..

Single mom to ds(8), dd(6) and ds(5)

#4 of 17 Old 10-07-2006, 08:11 PM

I used a diaphragm for years and had good luck with it - until I became overly sensitive to the spermicide. I could tolerate it in small amounts but not if I wanted to use it 2 days in a row, or I'd get terrible burning/itching. It was a little inconvenient, but we never had too many issues with it, and I found it very easy to insert and remove. It's kind of like a guided missile, you just push it in. I think the thing I was sensitive too was nonoxynol-9, the actual spermicide, because that became the only thing I could find on the market after I'd already been using the diaphragm for years, and that's when the itching etc. started.
I decided to try a cervical cap instead between dd#1 and ds #2 because it can be left in for 72 hours and uses much less spermicide. It's harder to insert, havig to be placed over the cervix itself. About the third time I used it, it fell off, and that's why we have ds#2 (who of course we love dearly, but it was a big shock at the time!) I still don't know if it was a user error or if it wasn't fitted right, or what, but I never went back to it after ds was born.
#5 of 17 Old 10-07-2006, 08:50 PM

...never had a problem with it. Never became pregnant, never had any reaction to the jelly, never had a problem inserting it. It was great. Highly recommend it.
#6 of 17 Old 10-10-2006, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the stories everyone...I think I'll give it a try, keeping in mind the cons.

#7 of 17 Old 10-10-2006, 05:50 PM

I used the cervical cap between DD#2 and the baby I am pregnant with. I used it for 2 years with great results. It was tricky to learn how to put in(took about an hour at my MW office) but once I learned it was a piece of cake. I used mine with out spermicide and did not get pregnant for over two years. I got pregnant with this babe after one act of unprotected sex. I had the Prentiff type which is latex and they no longer make. You can buy a brand over the internet called Fem Cap and it is slicone. It is a little larger than the Prentiff but it works. My MW had me try it out and it is fairly easy to insert and it works IMO. Because it is slicone it can get slippery(TMI ) so getting it out was a learning experience but overall I am happy with it. I will use it after this baby until we decide what we want to do next regarding having more babies. HTH. You can PM if you have more questions.

Sara
I love my girlsMadaline(9), Mary-Grace(7), Georgia(3), & Evelyn(1)
#8 of 17 Old 10-10-2006, 07:13 PM

I've used a diaphragm and FAM combined for about 5 years (minus the time I was intentionally pregnant with dd). At fertile times, I use the diaphragm and spermicide. At non-fertile ones, I use nothing or just the diaphragm. I'm sensitive to the nonoxynol-9 spermicides and order FemProtect from the UK. But you can go with just the diaphragm too. It might increase the risk of pregnancy a bit, but is still much better than nothing!

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#9 of 17 Old 10-10-2006, 08:15 PM

Moved to Family Planning
#10 of 17 Old 10-10-2006, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
After having babies, both cervical caps and the sponge go way down in efficacy, the diaphram doesn't.

I'd like another diaphram, but my current insurance won't cover it and it's simply too much money for something I may not get much use out of. Plus I don't really trust my GYN to fit me properly- very few of his patients use them and he kept trying to talk me into something hormonal. I may go to Planned Parenthood to get fitted next time if I ever actually have the opportunity to have sex!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#11 of 17 Old 10-10-2006, 08:34 PM

I have a love/hate relationship with my diaphragm.

love the efficacy (used it for 2 years without getting pregnant, save the times we tried, in which case I got pregnant on the first try each time). hate the spermicide. hate the lack of spontenaity. love the fact that we don't have to use condoms or hormonal BC.

I recommend it to everyone, but I also recommend you use FAM at the same time. diaphragm ACTUAL USE prevention statistics are ~80%.
#12 of 17 Old 10-10-2006, 08:48 PM

We do FAM and the diaphragm. I love it! I've not been using it a year yet, but I do love that it's easy to insert, it gives good protection and that it was inexpensive and reusable.

I use a Milex silicone one, with spermicide, but I have recently read about using alternative natural spermicide instead of chemicals. I'm looking in to it, but as we REALLY are done having kids, I want it to work!

I've never had any trouble getting it in, or out and we can't feel it during sex. Mine isn't large at all, smaller than the palm of my hand and folds up into about the size of a super tampon.

HTH!
#13 of 17 Old 10-11-2006, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

I was under the impression that you always have to use spermicide with the diaphragm...does not using spermicide decrease the effectiveness MUCH? How much, in percentages? I don't like the idea of spermicides, but maybe I'll look into the natural alternatives as well...let me know what you find, onlyboys!

Ruthla - about the opportunity to have sex!

#14 of 17 Old 10-11-2006, 01:11 PM

I've joined a diaphragms and caps yahoo group, which I am slowly muddling my way through... I'll post info when I find it.
#15 of 17 Old 10-11-2006, 03:23 PM

I was in the same boat as the OP (don't like condoms, don't want hormonal BC) and I got a diapraghm. I love it. Taking it out isn't my favourite thing in the world but it's easy enough.

There are several different sizes...mine is definitely not as big as a saucer.

Give it a try!

Marja: consensual-living, unschooling, piano-teaching, doula and mom to 3 creative, independent people:
DD, 8, DS, 6, and Baby DS born July 1, 2010 Married to DH for 10 years!
#16 of 17 Old 10-12-2006, 07:32 PM

I bought one, had it fitted well... and found it very comfortable to insert and comfortable inside, but it did NOT feel good at all during sex! it pushed up against my bladder depending on which positions we were in. i really didn't like not being able to just start DTD whenever whereever either... i stopped quickly
#17 of 17 Old 10-14-2006, 02:25 AM

The diaphragms and caps yahoo group is where I started ordering FemProtect. It's at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DiaphragmsAndCaps/ You have to register to join the group, but then info on that, and good charts of efficacy rates are under the files section on the yahoogroups web site.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page