Nuva ring and sex drive? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-20-2006, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
THinking about the nuva ring. i have had terrible luck with bp, no sex drive and moodiness. Will the Nuva ring be better??? I"m not ready for the long term commitment of an iud (plus no insurance). I don't trust NFP because I'm still nursing a toddler and period is not regular. I really don't want to get pregnant because of medications dh is on.
#2 of 9 Old 10-21-2006, 02:34 AM

I'm using the Nuvaring too. It hasnt' lessened my sex drive but my ability to enjoy that sex drive, if you know what I mean. I haven't had any moodiness, in fact my PMS has gone away. I love my ring.
#3 of 9 Old 10-25-2006, 09:42 PM

it hasn't affected my sex drive at all, but neither did BC pills. BC gave me a LOT of other side effects that the ring does not.

it did make sex less pleasurable for the first month or so. just generally irritated feeling... but pretty much the same level of irritation as a condom causes me.
#4 of 9 Old 10-25-2006, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm, the irritation thing doesn't sound promising to me, I am usually very sensitive to anything going on in my nether region. Plus I'm bfing and pretty dry. I can't usually use condoms at all. I guess all I can do is try the ring and see...
#5 of 9 Old 10-25-2006, 11:35 PM

I never had any problems with it (except it got pulled out a couple times). Didn't lessen sex drive or anything, and much less or none of the side effects I've had on other birth control methods.

Mom to K (06.23.06) & A (09.13.09)
#6 of 9 Old 10-26-2006, 06:23 PM

you can take it out during sex too, which is MUCH more comfortable for me.
#7 of 9 Old 10-26-2006, 06:37 PM

When I used it, I took it out during sex. BUT... it did cause irritation for me. and... for ME... caused the ph level of my vagina to change. So I got a lot of discharge (white, creamy) and the *ahem* taste changed completely and not for the better. That was a deal breaker for me, but might not be for anyone else! Anyways it is definitely worth trying if other things haven't worked... the dosage of hormones is supposed to be lower because it doesn't have to go through your whole system to get where it needs to be.

Good luck...
#8 of 9 Old 10-26-2006, 08:30 PM

I had issues with it, and I think it contributed to my sex drive taking a nose dive. I had had issues with hormonal birth control anyway, and the ring was my last try before going off hormones completely. I had problems with vaginal irritation cause by all the wetness, my breasts hurt terribly, bad mood swings, and break through bleeding. When I was on hte pill I had break through bleeding and nausea but no mood swings or breast pain. It's worth a shot, lots of people like it, but it just did not work for me.
#9 of 9 Old 10-28-2006, 11:10 AM

After using the mini pill for the last 2 years, I switched to the ring a few months ago. I have used it for three cycles now. I hated the mini pill, but was still bf'ing my 2 yo. I have mixed feelings about the ring. I like that it is a once a month thing, and I myself have not experienced any negative side effects. I just don't like having something stuck inside me all the time, ya know? I think it is worth a try, tho. Dh and I have no probs with it during sex, other than the fact we know it's there.

me luxlove.gif+ dh kewl.gif= dd reading.gif , ds mischievous.gif , ds2 biggrinbounce.gif, dd2 baby.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page