Mothering Forum banner

Breastfeeding and Fertility

691 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  AugustineM 
#1 ·
This may be long so bear with me. My ydd is currently 9 1/2 months, I'm breastfeeding obviously, hence the title, with my first dd my first pp af didn't arrive until her first bday. So I was working under the assumption things would be similiar this time. Well in the middle of September I had ovulation pains, I always get them really strongly. So I was worried and started temping to see if my cycles were returning. Then I started bleeding about a week later so I figured great I wasn't really Oing and here was my period. But it only lasted 2 days and a day of spotting, so I thought okay my body is just gearing up to resume fertility. Well here I am now 33 days later with no clear sign of ovulation and no sign of af showing up. Does anyone have any idea what to make of this? My thoughts are that either my body was gearing up for fertility and then said forget it. Or there is that other possibility that I did ovulate when I thought I might, we managed to catch that first egg, and the bleeding I saw 7-10 days later was implantation bleedng which I had with my last pregnancy. I wouldn't be worring about any of this if dh and I hadn't been celebrating getting home from vacation either the day before I thought I O'd or the day of. But then again all my temps have been in the 97 range and if I was pregnant I would think they'd be higher. I could end all the confusion by going and buying a pregnancy test, but I always feel silly testing if I shouldn't really be worrying about pregnancy anyway. And I can't quite make up my mind if this is a situation where I'm worrying needlessly or if there is a true possibility. Any idea?

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd go get a HPT from the Dollar Store. What you're describing sounds exactly like what happened with the return of my fertility with my DD #1. I had some cramping and increased fertile CM. Thought I might have oed and started temping. Temps didn't rise but about 7 days later I started bleeding. It last maybe three days and was super super light. Heavy spotting rather than actual flow. I started temping at that point and my next cycle was quite a bit longer than normal for me. I ovulated about 10 days later than normal irrc. Your cycles may very well be longer than you'd expect since you're still BFing. Many mothers who do begin cycling again have still not reached full fertility. So either your body is just gearing up and the bleeding was an anomoly or you are cycling again but just haven't oed again yet. I would buy an HPT though just to give yourself peace of mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.