The pill and sex drive - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Did you notice a change in sex drive after stopping the pill?
Yes, my sex drive *decreased* after stopping the pill. 6 7.79%
No, my sex drive stayed the same. 12 15.58%
Yes, my sex drive increased within 1-3 months after stopping. 47 61.04%
Yes, my sex drive increased within 4-6 months after stopping. 7 9.09%
Yes, my sex drive increased within 6-12 months after stopping. 4 5.19%
Yes, my sex drive increased a year or more after stopping. 1 1.30%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 03-18-2007, 12:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been wondering about that for a while. I have been on the pill for almost 10 years now. And for the past few years my sex drive has only gone downhill. Now I am supposed to start a new pack tomorrow. So I discussed it with DP and he says just go off it and we'll figure out something else...it's not like we do it all the time anyway So ok I'll stop taking it, but we're not really wanting to TTC just yet ( have been going back and forth on that: ) I don't know it just scares me to go off it and then get pregnant. Not that it would be the end of the world right now, it's just that I want us to want it when it happens, not it being an accident.

Anyway sorry for rambling

Memz, with mylove.gif and mommy  of babygirl.gif born 01/17/10 and 3 cat.gif familybed1.gifsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

***4** *8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

#32 of 37 Old 03-18-2007, 04:34 AM

I was on the pill for 18mos. years ago. Ortho tri cyclen. When I went off of it, within 3 weeks I felt like a new person! And I was extremely *excited* all the time,lol. Dh could definitely tell! Then I used FAM for over 4 years, and now I use the nuvaring, but thankfully my sex drive hasn't been affected in the least, it's gotten better since I'm not worried about getting pg. at the moment,lol.

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

#33 of 37 Old 03-18-2007, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by memz View Post
I have been wondering about that for a while. I have been on the pill for almost 10 years now. And for the past few years my sex drive has only gone downhill. Now I am supposed to start a new pack tomorrow. So I discussed it with DP and he says just go off it and we'll figure out something else...it's not like we do it all the time anyway So ok I'll stop taking it, but we're not really wanting to TTC just yet ( have been going back and forth on that: ) I don't know it just scares me to go off it and then get pregnant. Not that it would be the end of the world right now, it's just that I want us to want it when it happens, not it being an accident.

Anyway sorry for rambling
memz, I know where you're coming from. I went off the pill a few months ago when we were most definitely *not* ready to get pregnant. But we got some condoms to tide us over until my cycle stabilized and I could use the methods in Taking Charge of Your Fertility to figure out when we could go without safely. I highly recommend that book!

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#34 of 37 Old 03-18-2007, 12:42 PM

I accidentally voted for the wrong thing, because apparently I can't read. But the Pill did terrible things for my sex drive. It really works as a birth control, not just by what it does but by how it makes you feel! It's impossible to get pregnant if you don't ever feel like having sex...

And, (TMI warning)
it made me dry as heck down there, which made sex painful even with lubes and stuff. Not what I'd call normal for a 22-23 year old! When I finally went off it for good, I felt *soooo* much better; not only did I *want* sex, it felt good again.

They should definitely mention that stuff when prescribing it, I think.

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#35 of 37 Old 03-18-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snozzberry View Post
memz, I know where you're coming from. I went off the pill a few months ago when we were most definitely *not* ready to get pregnant. But we got some condoms to tide us over until my cycle stabilized and I could use the methods in Taking Charge of Your Fertility to figure out when we could go without safely. I highly recommend that book!
Thanks for letting me know i'm not alone:
Today is my first day off the BC
We'll see how everything goes

Memz, with mylove.gif and mommy  of babygirl.gif born 01/17/10 and 3 cat.gif familybed1.gifsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

***4** *8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

#36 of 37 Old 03-21-2007, 12:37 AM

I went on the pill when DS was 6w because I had such a horrible labor I was so scared of getting pregnant. I went off when he was 8m and within 2 weeks have never felt better. I have WAY more sex drive, more energy, and overall just feel like a happier person.

Melissa knit.gifmilitary wife to C : Mom to Ben (4.26.06) ,Will (4.07.08), Sam (10.11.10), and expecting a GIRL in March 2013!

#37 of 37 Old 03-24-2007, 09:13 AM

I hated being on the pill. It made me feel less feminine, to be honest. I didn't enjoy any part of sex. When I went off it, the switch was immediate. I won't take it again.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page