The pill and sex drive - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Did you notice a change in sex drive after stopping the pill?
Yes, my sex drive *decreased* after stopping the pill. 6 7.79%
No, my sex drive stayed the same. 12 15.58%
Yes, my sex drive increased within 1-3 months after stopping. 47 61.04%
Yes, my sex drive increased within 4-6 months after stopping. 7 9.09%
Yes, my sex drive increased within 6-12 months after stopping. 4 5.19%
Yes, my sex drive increased a year or more after stopping. 1 1.30%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 11-14-2006, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm curious...have any of you experienced a change in sex drive when going off (or on) the pill? I read an article that said the pill can permanently decrease your sex drive.

I went off the pill after reading that article (and because I became bothered about the artificial hormones going into my body every day). My sex drive has gone to almost non-existent over the last 2-3 years of my total 11 years on the pill, and I'm wondering if it was the pill. I've only been off 3 months, and I haven't really noticed a change though.

Has anyone experienced this? (I'll see if I can find that article and post a link...)

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#2 of 37 Old 11-14-2006, 09:33 AM

Oh crap, that would explain a lot. I suffered from depression and took Paxil for 2 yrs, that killed my sex drive. Now the pill too? I took it for about 12 yrs up until 2004.

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
#3 of 37 Old 11-14-2006, 01:28 PM

I was on the pill for only a short period of time, but since going off, I have little to no sex drive most of the time. But then again, it's hard to say whether it might be from the pill or from TTC. We started TTC immediately when I went off the pill and it took us 16 months and 2 losses before we got pregnant with my DD, so I think that
had an impact, too.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#4 of 37 Old 11-14-2006, 01:30 PM

I took the pill for ~6 years and then used the Nuva Ring for 6 months. My sex drive was higher on the Nuva Ring than the pill and after I stopped the Nuva Ring it returned to normal immediately.
#5 of 37 Old 11-14-2006, 01:54 PM

I was on the pill over 10 years and definitely noticed that it significantly decreased my sex drive. Since going off my drive has been much better, although pregnancy has always decreased it as well.

Laurie wahm (virtual paralegal) of 3 wonderful boys (11, 9, 5). 1st by c-section for breech, 2 by VBAC (one miscarriage between child #1 and #2).

#6 of 37 Old 11-14-2006, 07:25 PM

I was not on the pill for long, maybe a year, but it bottomed out my sex drive, which had been pretty healthy before that. It took a very long time to get back to some kind of normalcy. I wouldn't say it's totally normal, but better now than ever since I started the pill.
#7 of 37 Old 11-14-2006, 08:04 PM

I think to get the answer you are looking for, you may want to consider modifying your question such that only folks whose sex drive decreased when they went on the pill answer. otherwise you run the danger of folks like me voting that my sex drive did not go up when I went off though in fact it had not decreased to begin with. Just wanted to protect you from potentially alarming results.
#8 of 37 Old 11-15-2006, 02:00 AM

Permanently?????

I started the Pill right when I became sexually active and have been off of it for 6 years. I've never really had much of a drive at all. I wonder if the Pill killed it before it even got started?

Of course, for the past 6 years I've been PG, nursing and or parenting small children so that can put a damper on things as well . . .
#9 of 37 Old 11-15-2006, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethy View Post
Permanently?????

I started the Pill right when I became sexually active and have been off of it for 6 years. I've never really had much of a drive at all. I wonder if the Pill killed it before it even got started?
I wonder if it was the same in my situation. I started the pill a couple months before I got marrie and wasn't sexually active until my wedding night (but boy do I know the drive existed before that ), and went off a few months after the wedding.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#10 of 37 Old 11-15-2006, 02:50 PM

I'm on the Nuvaring and I do notice a lessening of sex drive and anorgasmia. I didn't insert it this month and I am fertile right now and my sex drive is through the roof! It makes me wonder what to do. The only reason I didn't insert it this month was because I didn't make it to the drug store in time. Hmmmm....but I absolutely can't get pregnant again. Time for a tubal or a vas.
#11 of 37 Old 11-15-2006, 05:40 PM

yeah, after I'm done having babies, I'm never going to go on the pill again for that exact reason. I had a simliar experience as some of the PP's. Super sharp loss of sex drive within months of starting the pill that has continued ever since. I think it's actually really hurt my relationship with my hubby, b/c you can track our happiness with our relationship by when I started the pill (and now it's become a major issue in our relationship unfortunately).

I did end up on the Nuvaring the past couple of years, and I did notice the very month I went off of it to TTC, my sex drive was suddenly back, but we got preggo that very month. But when I went off the pill previously for several months, my sex drive never came back. I think IME the Nuvaring might have been a much healthier option WRT my sex drive, b/c it did actually come back when I stopped it, while the pill didn't.

ETA: I also agree with the PP about your poll ending up opposite to how you wanted it. I voted that my sex drive increased 1-3 mths after, but only b/c it was nearly non-existent for the previous 6 years.

Amy, mama to "Pumpkin" (DD1, 5/16/06) and "Squashy" (DD2, 7/10/09)
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance"- Confucius
#12 of 37 Old 11-15-2006, 08:24 PM

when I was on the pill and then nuvaring my sex drive tanked. after stopping I noticed a definate improvement the first month off the hormones (after about two weeks or so). my mood improved so much too, and all the other horrible side effects went away.
#13 of 37 Old 11-24-2006, 09:19 PM

I am just really horny all the time...all..the...time...and I was that way before the pill and I'm that way now.

It's hard for the hubby to keep up at times!
#14 of 37 Old 11-24-2006, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snozzberry View Post
I'm curious...have any of you experienced a change in sex drive when going off (or on) the pill? I read an article that said the pill can permanently decrease your sex drive.
The pill just about killed my sex drive. I didn't even fully realize it until a couple of months after I went off of it, and was like "Whoa - I remember this!". I'll never take it again.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#15 of 37 Old 11-24-2006, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactavia View Post
I am just really horny all the time...all..the...time...and I was that way before the pill and I'm that way now.

It's hard for the hubby to keep up at times!
Wow. You are so lucky! I was on the pill for only about 10 months and my sex drive went south and didn't return until after I came off of them. I was also really dry. After I came off the pill and started charting, my sex drive has gradually increased over the last 6 months. I'm almost back to normal. *Almost* I've definitley noticed an increase in my CM over the last few months. It's been great. DH and I waited 2 months to ttc after I ended the pill. I just couldn't wait.

Kemi wifedreads.gif to Jeffdh_malesling.GIF mommy to Rohan h20homebirth.gifROTFLMAO.gif 1/3/09 and Narenhomebirth.jpg(transfer to hospital) blahblah.gif  10/22/10. Pregnant with stork-girl.gif

****5****10****15****20****25****30****353rdtri.gif***40 (Hospital BC w/CNMs due to GD)

#16 of 37 Old 02-02-2007, 05:15 AM

I wasn't on the pill but I was on the Depo shot, which is probably worse, I noticed a huge decrease in my sex drive. The thought of dh touching me at all was enough to gross me out. So I stopped taking it about a year ago and once all or most of the hormones were out of my system I noticed I had a much better sex drive. However I still havn't had a period , and has caused some concerns. Has anyone else had this problem?

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

Mourning the loss of her father: Robert Edward Dillon 5/31/52 - 01/03/2011

#17 of 37 Old 02-03-2007, 01:15 AM

Well I can't truthfully answer yet. I was on the pill for 9-10 years (last year was the ring). It killed my sex drive. I have almost been off for a month. I have deffinitelly been hornier and had more CM this month, but I don't know if it will continue to increase or not.
#18 of 37 Old 02-04-2007, 11:34 AM

I have just stopped the pill this month. I tried charting and keeping up with CM, but its all messed up right now. LOL. I can tell you that my sex drive was tragically murdered on the pill. I went on the pill 12 weeks after having my DS and I can tell you that I completely lost interest in sex in a matter of weeks.
Its been over two years, and we'll see how things turn out.
#19 of 37 Old 02-04-2007, 12:05 PM

I've been on and off the pill for years. I hate the chemicals in it and have recently come off it pretty much full time now( I hope) I've noticed being on it seems to decrease my sex drive, quite considerably at times, it's hard to know sometimes really whether it's the pill or just mood.I think being on the pill adds to my depression, a general feeling of sluggishness. I usually have most sex drive round ovulation anyway, but not confined to that time! I always feel pretty much used when on pill, this may add to general overall crap feelings. It seems to dry me up as well, I'm so glad I'm off it.
#20 of 37 Old 02-05-2007, 04:25 AM

I was on the pill for almost 2 months after ds1 was born. before pill I was horny constantly about a week after starting no interest and within a month of stopping my sex drive started but not a whole lot. by 3m it was up there again. pregnancy made it worse and since then its been THROUGH the roof.

needless to say THIS mama won't ever go back to hormonal bc!

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#21 of 37 Old 02-18-2007, 10:03 PM

I am so glad that i came across this.

When my fiance and I first started dating I had an awesome sex drive, and I was not on anything then. I started the pill a few months later...and now I have almost no sex drive.

My dp has been wondering about me and what happened, now we know. I just read that you can try triphasal but I was on that I had horrible mood swings, so now maybe I need to just come off all together, maybe we need to try natural family planning.

Allyn birthmom to S 3/12/03, placed in open adoption 4/06, married to W 6/22/07, mama to H 2/5/08, mama to M 8/26/12.
#22 of 37 Old 02-21-2007, 06:00 PM

When I was doing FAM, I noticed a very strong correlation between impending ovulation and increased sex drive. I'd have increased sex drive starting around the time AF started, ramping up to the point that a day or two before ovulation I'd be in "standing down by the docks with a bullhorn" mode. Then my sex drive would drop off pretty sharply 1-3 days post-ovulation and stay relatively low until AF started again. This was pretty standard for me.

I went on the Pill for awhile, and basically was permanently in that low post-ovulatory sex drive. It sucked and is one of the biggest reasons I went off the Pill again. (Well, that and the godawful mood swings.)
#23 of 37 Old 02-22-2007, 05:41 PM

I was on the regular tricyclic pill when I was younger, and didn't note any problems in that department.

Then I went off birth control altogether for a few years, giving me kids 18 months apart.

I used the minipill for awhile after DD was born, and also had no problems there.

That said, I have a sex drive that is apparently very difficult to kill.
#24 of 37 Old 02-23-2007, 03:24 PM

I voted 6-12 months but I was on the pill for 12 years. I wish I had realized this 10 years ago.

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#25 of 37 Old 02-23-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wateraddict View Post
I voted 6-12 months but I was on the pill for 12 years. I wish I had realized this 10 years ago.

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#26 of 37 Old 03-06-2007, 10:43 PM

The pill Killed my sex drive too. and i have been off for 3 years now and it is still not what it useto be.
#27 of 37 Old 03-10-2007, 10:40 AM

Dang, I was only on the pill for three months and it killed mine immediately. I couldn't wait to go off of it, but my drive never came back. It's a little better, but only a little, and during O time. I wish I'd known. I didn't want to go on the dang thing, but my doctor convinced me it was the best thing for now...DH and I weren't married yet and it was only going to be for a few months, etc. I hope it comes back...now we're TTC and it's hard cuz I just "don't want". That's so unlike me!

What pill were you guys on? Mine was Loestrin 24. I'm really angry about this.
#28 of 37 Old 03-11-2007, 11:23 PM

I didn't vote because my story's a little odd.

I've been on the pill for about 9-10 years, except for during my pregnancies. I never really noticed a change in my sex drive, even when going off the pill to get pregnant. Both times we got pregnant the first month off the pill.

So, six months ago I started feeling nauseated all the time, very much like morning sickness. I stopped taking the pill at the end of the cycle, and wham! I suddenly had a crazily high sex drive. And the nausea stopped. I was all for never ever going on the pill again. But the month after, I was back to my "normal" low sex drive. Between the sex drive and the fact that I was very obviously fertile that first month, but not the second (very little CM), I suspect that this is part of what I think is PCOS. I suspected I had PCOS for other reasons, and this just kind of confirms it for me.. I don't think I ovulate except for the first month after stopping the pill. FWIW, I even notice an increase in sex drive if I forget to take my pill for a day or two.

And since I'm trying to convince my husband to TTC, I guess I need to stay on the pill. I'm on Loestrin 24, btw.. the NP I saw after the nausea started said it should help, but it hasn't so far. I see my regular OBGYN in two weeks, so maybe she'll try me on a different one.

-Rachel
Mommy to Colwyn, 10/03 ~ Lachlann, 8/05 ~ Fiona, 6/08 ~ Niall, 5/10
#29 of 37 Old 03-13-2007, 12:13 AM

I was wondering if I'd find a post like this here....I used the Nuvaring before DD and was fine--I told everyone about how great it was. But then when I went back on it when DD was two months--wham, gone, nothing. I didn't want dh to touch me, and I was having crazy mood swings. Kept thinking I was having PPD or something. But then I didn't make it to the drugstore in time (after three months on) and after a week I'm suddenly myself again. What a relief! Thing is--we're not ready for number three, haven't even decided if there will be a number three. ANd we seem to be very fertile, as we never really tried with DS and DD, they just kind of...came...when we weren't careful. Now I'm scared to get back on BC and don't really trust the whole cycle planning thing.....:
#30 of 37 Old 03-13-2007, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaEli View Post
I was wondering if I'd find a post like this here....I used the Nuvaring before DD and was fine--I told everyone about how great it was. But then when I went back on it when DD was two months--wham, gone, nothing. I didn't want dh to touch me, and I was having crazy mood swings. Kept thinking I was having PPD or something. But then I didn't make it to the drugstore in time (after three months on) and after a week I'm suddenly myself again. What a relief! Thing is--we're not ready for number three, haven't even decided if there will be a number three. ANd we seem to be very fertile, as we never really tried with DS and DD, they just kind of...came...when we weren't careful. Now I'm scared to get back on BC and don't really trust the whole cycle planning thing.....:
MamaEli, read Taking Charge of Your Fertility! If you just take a minute or two a day to keep in touch with your cycle, you can most certainly have a drug-free birth control method!

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page