TTC in 2007 - Babes in waiting... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 455 Old 12-20-2006, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kleine, I totally understand your dislike for McCarthy and you're certainly intitled to you're opinion. There is one thing about her I really admire and that is she tells it like it is without worrying about who she offends. We are still on the fence as far as circ goes. Me leaning toward the no and DP leaning toward the yes. There is much more research we need to do though.

WOW Steph, that is some impressive book list, gf! You've totally inspired me and I signed up to bibliophil.org! Now I just have to catalog everything. Augh!

-Rachel

#62 of 455 Old 12-20-2006, 11:11 PM

I'm hesitant to put this in writing because it makes it more real, but here goes.

We're going to TTC #2 starting late March/April.

Oh yeah, and assuming I'm not pg right now. Its a long shot that I would be, I mean a real long shot, but Ds was too. First ppaf in Nov. nothing since but negative pg tests. In hindsight, I'm fairly certain I ovulated quite late (maybe CD 20) so I've accepted that I'm just waiting for cycles to regulate a bit more. Gosh I hope I'm more regular by March.
#63 of 455 Old 12-20-2006, 11:26 PM

we have some tentative plans to TTC #3 around july/august 2007

i am making a trip back home to australia in june/july with just the boys but dh has to stay here for work...when i get back, it's on!

i can't wait for #3!
#64 of 455 Old 12-21-2006, 10:32 AM

Congrats on the decision making ladies and welcome to the thread!

-Rachel

#65 of 455 Old 12-21-2006, 01:30 PM

I don't think Jenny McCarthy tells it "like it is" at all. My experiences were nothing like her wise cracks. Although some were funny.
Same with the Girlfriends Guide books. They just don't reflect my experiences with ttc, pregnancy, birth, and parenting. But I know we're all different and that's why reading what other people like reading is interesting.

I'm actually not reading anything that has to do with ttc or pareting right now.
I'm writing a lot instead.
I've read all of Dr. Sears books, Natural childbirth books, Attachemnt parenting books, and a book on Playful Parenting.

I'd like to find a good book on how to increase your fertility naturally...with diet or something. I've read Taking Charge of your Fertility (which is another great book) but it tells you how to understand what your body is doing not how to make changes so your body is more fertile.
#66 of 455 Old 12-21-2006, 01:59 PM

I finished the book last night. When I posted I was only a few chapters in. I must say that although some parts where so funny the overall "tone" of the book left a bad taste in my mouth. It seemed like a bitch-session by the time I was done with it. It certainly did not leave me looking forward to pregnancy like I once did. Although it's nice to know what could happen I really hope not all that stuff DOES happen to me. Mary-Beth you're post gave me hope!

Plus, I'm not a model nor am I obsessed with my body image and I got a lot of negative energy from Jenny about the pregnant body. So even though I did reccommend it before, i probably spoke too soon and wouldn't reccommend it now. (going back to edit my previous post!)

-Rachel

#67 of 455 Old 12-21-2006, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsGirl View Post
What pregnancy/childbirth/parenting books have you or are you reading before or while TTC?
I've tried to not read anything until we got closer to our TTC date, due to the fear it would flame my baby fever! DH and I had an "oopsie" moment though this past summer and he bought me "Hello My Name Is Mommy."

I really didn't care for it. It was kind of funny, but I found her attempt at realism to be a little too harsh. Plus, the set up she has (she's a radio personality and can take her daughter everywhere with her) made her post baby lifestyle just a little too far from real for most people.

I've asked for books for the holiday though - so we'll see what I get! I tried to focus my list on pre-TTC books those with a health emphasis.

kati , wife to josh , mama to j&d (7.31.07) marion (9.18.08), feeder of nanuq and gracie lou
#68 of 455 Old 12-21-2006, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshs_girl View Post
I've tried to not read anything until we got closer to our TTC date, due to the fear it would flame my baby fever!

I've asked for books for the holiday though - so we'll see what I get! I tried to focus my list on pre-TTC books those with a health emphasis.
I totally thought this would do the same for me, but it's actually calming the fever. Maybe because I feel like I'm being productive in the process of TTC instead of just waiting around. I'm weird that way

Please let me know what you get and if you liked them. I'd love more reccommended book about PRE-conception and getting your body ready. Seems there really aren't a lot out there, not that I've found anyway.

-Rachel

#69 of 455 Old 12-21-2006, 05:09 PM

I'm now officially in the running as of next cycle (surgery went well, doc even complimented me on my super sized ovaries and "great mucous" ). That'll put my O date the first week of Jan.
Partially due to being slightly superstitious and not wanting to jinx us, and partially because we're more than slightly broke ATM, I haven't been reading any books. In a couple more weeks I'll be all set to go on a book-shopping-spree, so this is a pretty timely thread Can't wait to see what is recommended.
#70 of 455 Old 12-21-2006, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattibrie View Post
I'm now officially in the running as of next cycle (surgery went well, doc even complimented me on my super sized ovaries and "great mucous" ). That'll put my O date the first week of Jan.
Partially due to being slightly superstitious and not wanting to jinx us, and partially because we're more than slightly broke ATM, I haven't been reading any books. In a couple more weeks I'll be all set to go on a book-shopping-spree, so this is a pretty timely thread Can't wait to see what is recommended.
CONGRATS and that must feel pretty good to have a doc compliment your ovaries!

Just wanted to let you know...don't rule out the library as a resource, it's economical and less wasteful, plus most of them have really good up to date books on pregnancy and childbirth! Mine has their catalog online so I can search amazon and when I find a book I want I can search the library catalog. About half the time they won't have what I was looking for but I have been suprized! It's really convient! Plus I can also have books that may be in a library across the county sent over to my library near the house so I don't have to drive as far.

Good luck in Jan!!

-Rachel

#71 of 455 Old 12-21-2006, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsGirl View Post
Just wanted to let you know...don't rule out the library as a resource, it's economical and less wasteful, plus most of them have really good up to date books on pregnancy and childbirth! Mine has their catalog online so I can search amazon and when I find a book I want I can search the library catalog. About half the time they won't have what I was looking for but I have been suprized! It's really convient! Plus I can also have books that may be in a library across the county sent over to my library near the house so I don't have to drive as far.
: I have paid full price for one of the books out of the 50+ I've read. And I technically bought it for my sister whose pg ended in the first trimester, and she gave me the book back (along with all the ones my mom had bought for her). I have had tons of luck with my local library. I have been able to find about half of them through our local library system and most of the rest I have ordered through our statewide borrowing program. And I can do it all from my laptop at home and have them delivered to my local library which is a 15 minute walk away. There have been a handful (10 or so?) that I haven't been able to find that I've requested through paperbackswap.com. Whenever I decide I would like to own a book I've read, I request it through paperbackswap. I've gotten 2 or 3 this way so far, with many more to come. I've also had good luck at the library book sales on the crunchier side of town. I did pay for those, but it was $3-4 for a paper grocery bag full of books, so they were practically free. I'm a bit of a bibliophile, if you couldn't tell

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#72 of 455 Old 12-21-2006, 07:40 PM

I'm so glad everyone is recommending the library! I'm a librarian, working in the local public library system, and the branch I'm in right now even has a subscription to Mothering! I've been working hard to make sure that the system has some of the crunchy titles along with the mainstream ones, and I've been fairly successful. We own copies of "Adventures in tandem nursing" for example, and "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth". Anyway, even if your library doesn't have the book you're looking for, they may have a "suggestion for purchase" programme as well, where you can recommend titles for purchase, along with interlibrary loan programmes where they borrow from other libraries for you.
#73 of 455 Old 12-21-2006, 11:46 PM

Quote:
I'd like to find a good book on how to increase your fertility naturally...with diet or something. I've read Taking Charge of your Fertility (which is another great book) but it tells you how to understand what your body is doing not how to make changes so your body is more fertile.
have you read Fertility, Cycles and Nutrition by Marilyn M. Shannon? from the cover: "Self-help strategies for: PMS; infertility; painful periods; premenopause; repeated miscarriages; irregular cycles; heavy bleeding; pregnancy; male infertility"

it's been years since i read it (prior to TTC #1, so over 4 years ago) but it should be perfect! i picked it up because after going off the pill my LP was short and i was trying to find ways to naturally increase it. it's not a read it cover-to-cover type of books, but a good resource.

Ok - i'm a yoga teacher, and here's a list i give my prenatal yoga students:

Yoga Books for Pregnancy
Preparing for Birth With Yoga by Janet Balastkas
Step-by-Step Yoga for Pregnancy by Wendy Teasdill

Yoga Books for After Pregnancy
Baby Om: Yoga for Mothers and Babies by Laura Stanton and Sarah Perron
Itsy Bitsy Yoga by Helen Garabedian
Yoga for Wellness by Gary Kraftsow

Pregnancy Books
The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer
Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin
The Wise Woman's Herbal for the Childbearing Years by Susun Weed
Hypnobirthing by Marie Mongan
Birthing From Within by Pam England and Rob Horowitz

Breastfeeding Books
The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by LLL Intl.
The Nursing Mother's Companion by Kathleen Huggins RN, MS
The Nursing Mother's Herbal by Sheila Humphrey
Mothering Your Nursing Toddler by Norma Jane Bumgarner
How Weaning Happens by Diane Bengson
Adventures in Tandem Nursing by Hillary Flowers

Parenting Books
Sign With Your Baby by Joseph Garcia
The Baby Book by Sears and Sears
The Discipline Book by Sears and Sears
The Family Nutrition Book by Sears and Sears
How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish
The No Cry Sleep Solution (regular and toddler/pre-schooler versions) by Elizabeth Pantley
#74 of 455 Old 12-22-2006, 03:14 AM

They may have already been listed, but here are my suggestions...

Ina May Gaskin's "Spiritual Midwifery" and "Guide to Childbirth"
Henci Goer's "Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth"
Dr. Robert Bradley's "Husband Coached Childbirth"
Dr. Tom Brewer's pregnancy diet... www.blueribbonbaby.org
Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way

and it's not really childbirth oriented.. but I am : The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding!!!

So.. I am on my second month of charting and only have one more cycle before the theory I am trying out (how to choose the sex of your baby) says I can start. I'm soooo tempted, but think it would be really not so good timing if I didn't wait until spring/summer to start trying. Here's the funny part. I soooo wanted a girl next until it's gotten this close to the moment and then it hit me... "Maybe I want another boy...."

Good luck Cattibrie! I am sooo excited for you!

Eternal Companion to DH , Homeschooling mama to DS 05/04 , DS 11/05 , DD 12/07 , DS 07/10 and one on the way: June 2015!
#75 of 455 Old 12-22-2006, 07:56 AM

Thanks
I read up on "chosing the gender of your child" when we first started talking about ttc. We're going to try and plan things to increase our chances of having a girl first. Either would be great though, so it's mostly just for fun.

I'd like to second The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. Definately worth the read.

As for libraries... Ours is only open 22 hours a week. I have yet to catch it while it's open... for now it's the internet for me. I plan to donate any books I purchase to the library after I'm done withthem though... so I'll still be giving them some support (eventhough their hours frustrateme)

Websites I found interesting so far: *We're leaning toward a MW attended HB but i'm trying to educate myself as though we're going unassisted...you never know, we may go that route whether intentionally or through the unexpected *
http://www.empoweredchildbirth.com/articles.html
http://www.shaunamama.citymaker.com/
http://fruitofthewomb.tripod.com/
http://unassistedbirth.com/
#76 of 455 Old 12-22-2006, 03:13 PM

pixiepunk,
Thanks for the book recommendation. I'll look into it! The Fertility, Cycles, and Nutrition book sounds like it might help me. I don't have any PMS or most of the symptoms listed except one...long cycles. It's improving with the things I'm already doing but I'd like to hear what the author has to say as well.
#77 of 455 Old 12-22-2006, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
DH does not necessarily want another baby, but he has agreed to one more. He says it doesn't make a difference to him either way. Our older DS will be 6 next month and our other DS will be 3 in Feb. I don't really want too large a gap between the youngest child and my other two. I'm shooting for a 4 year spacing between my second dc and the possible third baby.

So the main reason is $$.
WOW! This is VERY similiar to our family situation. Our DS is turning 6 in March and our DD just turned 3. Even though we have a boy and a girl, my heart longs for one more child. My husband really doesn't like the idea of 3 but has agreed to it. We keep holding off because of money but if we really are going to go for another child, I feel like we need to do it soon because I don't want too much of a gap between the last one and the first 2. For some reason, contemplating the 3rd child has been so hard! What to do....what to do....:
#78 of 455 Old 12-22-2006, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoomom View Post
WOW! This is VERY similiar to our family situation. Our DS is turning 6 in March and our DD just turned 3. Even though we have a boy and a girl, my heart longs for one more child. My husband really doesn't like the idea of 3 but has agreed to it. We keep holding off because of money but if we really are going to go for another child, I feel like we need to do it soon because I don't want too much of a gap between the last one and the first 2. For some reason, contemplating the 3rd child has been so hard! What to do....what to do....:

This sounds a lot like our situation. My ds is 5 with high functioning autism/asbergers and my dd is 2 1/2. I have always wanted at least 4 kids. But ds has been so challenging. Dh has half-heartedly agreed to one more even though he doesn't think it's a good idea. He's sure we'll wind up with twins! LOL! I have assured him over and over again that twins do not run in my family. I come from a very large extended family. My dad has 8 brothers and sisters, his mom is one of 12 and his dad was one of 10 or so and not a single instance of twins in the whole lot. Until this past month when my cousin wrote to tell me she's having twins! Now he's worrying about it agian! Darn it! And financially it'll be really hard since we're homeschooling and I'm not planning on going back to work for a very long time. But I don't want to wait too long. I don't think I want more than 5 years between dd and the next baby. He thinks that having one of each means we have the perfect family so why mess with it. But I still just have this feeling that there's at least onem ore little soul just waiting for us.
#79 of 455 Old 12-22-2006, 10:17 PM

Fran- I completely understand what your saying! I still have that feeling that there's a little soul out there waiting on us! I've tried and tried to come to terms with us stopping at 2 kids but I always get this nagging feeling that we should have more. I love my son and daughter so much and enjoy being a mother more than I would have ever imagined. I'm a stay-at-home mother and we are also homeschoolers! My kids are my world and no matter how many children we have,they have made me happier than ever!

The only thing that scares me is that I had pre-eclampsia with my first (ds) and I was fortunate enough to avoid it with my second pregnancy (dd), BUT they both had umbilical cord abnormalities. Luckily, neither of them suffered any complications from the cords but it does scare me a bit since the abnormalities were not detected in uteruo and only discovered after birth. And how ironic that both were only 1% chance of happening. I was told I could have a high level ultrasound next time during pregnancy to look at the cord, and I would definitely want to do that.

I guess there's always the chance for scary stuff to happen in pregnancy! And always the chance for twins! Just kidding!!!

Are you using a curriculum for homeschooling? I'm using a variety!
#80 of 455 Old 12-23-2006, 11:30 AM

Pixie, that's an excellent list. I'm VERY interested in Yoga when I'm pregnant. I've heard that it really helps you both while pregnant and during childbirth, do you find this to be true also?

-Rachel

#81 of 455 Old 12-23-2006, 02:36 PM

Thanks for starting this thread! As soon as I posted, the universe responded and Af appeared the next day.

If my cycles regulate around ~30 days as they did pre-Ds, then I'll try to catch the March egg. I feel like timing the arrival of #2 is so complicated and I just can't decide when its going to work 'best' for us. I never wanted 2 under age 2. In my pre-kids life, I wanted a bigger age gap, but for the AP/NFL parenting style that we've developed in our family, it just won't work if we wait longer. Sigh. There are gifts and challenges with every choice so hopefully the universe will stay on board with this plan. :

I completely understand having this feeling that there is another child out there waiting for you. I have had visions of a future child of ours, who I am guessing is probably #3 or beyond (after #2 we'll be adopting) since he's bi/multiracial and my Dh and I aren't. I don't really talk about it with anyone, but I feel quite strongly there is a son waiting to join our life someday.
#82 of 455 Old 12-23-2006, 04:48 PM

I'm gonna start TTC#1 in or around August 2007.
#83 of 455 Old 12-23-2006, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoomom View Post
Fran- I completely understand what your saying! I still have that feeling that there's a little soul out there waiting on us! I've tried and tried to come to terms with us stopping at 2 kids but I always get this nagging feeling that we should have more. I love my son and daughter so much and enjoy being a mother more than I would have ever imagined. I'm a stay-at-home mother and we are also homeschoolers! My kids are my world and no matter how many children we have,they have made me happier than ever!

The only thing that scares me is that I had pre-eclampsia with my first (ds) and I was fortunate enough to avoid it with my second pregnancy (dd), BUT they both had umbilical cord abnormalities. Luckily, neither of them suffered any complications from the cords but it does scare me a bit since the abnormalities were not detected in uteruo and only discovered after birth. And how ironic that both were only 1% chance of happening. I was told I could have a high level ultrasound next time during pregnancy to look at the cord, and I would definitely want to do that.

I guess there's always the chance for scary stuff to happen in pregnancy! And always the chance for twins! Just kidding!!!

Are you using a curriculum for homeschooling? I'm using a variety!

I know exactly what you're saying. I love love love being a mom, but I absolutely hate being pg! I have pretty severe morning sickness 24/7 for almost the entire time. So I'm really not looking forward to that. I always have hope that it won't happen the next time but I went through it with both pregnancies (starting at about 4 weeks) and I get pretty sick even on low dose bc pills. But that feeling that someone is waiting is too strong for me.

I'm planning on using a mix of different curriculums. I like to say I'm a classical charlotte mason ecclectic unschooler. LOL! I can't decide. I'm pretty much taking elements of Well Trained Mind and Charlotte Mason, but we're going to be really relaxed about it and just have fun learning.
#84 of 455 Old 12-23-2006, 11:04 PM

I'm also in NYM and the One Thread, but I'll post here, too. We're going off BC pretty soon, and I'll be hiking for six months starting March 4th, so I'll have time to get all the hormones out of my system. We'll be officially TTC when I get back in late August. We have a very short window, because I need a summer baby! I'm a college student, so I need the baby to come in early summer so I'll have a couple of months off with him/her before school starts again.

Hello all other future mamas!
#85 of 455 Old 12-24-2006, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Pixie, that's an excellent list. I'm VERY interested in Yoga when I'm pregnant. I've heard that it really helps you both while pregnant and during childbirth, do you find this to be true also?
yoga helps *tremendously* during pregnancy and much of the techniques you learn in yoga for relaxation and breathing are incredibly helpful/transferrable for use in childbirth. i did a lot of specific training as a prenatal instructor after my basic 200 hour training, and learned a ton - on top of what i had learned just practicing during my first pregnancy. i feel yoga is very responsible for me having two very easy pregnancies and births, and making the transition to motherhood easier. if you can find a good prenatal class, that is the best, since you can meet other moms-to-be - but in lieu of that, find a good teacher who knows how to adapt a regular class for a pregnant student.

in both pregnancies, i could always tell a difference if i didn't practice for a few days - boy did my hips ache, i had more difficulty sleeping, all kinds of stuff. but with #2 that didn't happen much since i was teaching until i was 34 weeks on top of my own practice, so i got a lot of yoga in!

GathererGirl - how cool that you're hiking the AT! two of my best friends did a few years back, and her DH (and possibly mine) are going to do a through-hike in '08! One thing to think about, though, is that a lot of people get messed-up cycles while hiking because you lose a lot of weight and put a lot of stress on your body - so don't be too worried/surprised if your cycles are wonky on your hike.
#86 of 455 Old 12-27-2006, 01:45 PM

DH and I had our first DS in October. But we would like to TTC after he turns one. So probably the fall of '07. But we both agreed that if it happened sooner than that we would not be worried or upset. As soon as DS was born I told DH that I wanted more right away Even with the complications I had I loved being pregnant and had a fairly good delivery. (planned a HB but I developed pre-e so I had to be induced : ).
#87 of 455 Old 12-28-2006, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepunk View Post
yoga helps *tremendously* during pregnancy and much of the techniques you learn in yoga for relaxation and breathing are incredibly helpful/transferrable for use in childbirth.
The same is true for bellydance (I just participated in a thread about this in another part of MDC). I haven't started yoga class yet, but I dance twice a week, and when I'm pregnant I plan to pick up a prenatal yoga class, too. Hopefully I'll be really ready when it comes time to give birth, since we'll be at home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepunk View Post
GathererGirl - how cool that you're hiking the AT! two of my best friends did a few years back, and her DH (and possibly mine) are going to do a through-hike in '08! One thing to think about, though, is that a lot of people get messed-up cycles while hiking because you lose a lot of weight and put a lot of stress on your body - so don't be too worried/surprised if your cycles are wonky on your hike.
Yeah, I'm a little worried about that. I'm planning to bring the highest-calorie foods I can find, take prenatal vitamins, and move slowly. There will be a couple of chances to take a few days off and recover, plus several more chances to take a single day or just a low mile day. Please : for me!
#88 of 455 Old 12-28-2006, 12:59 AM

What a nifty little thread. We are planning on TTC starting in a few days! AHHHH! We have been planning for forever. Things just came up like I wanted to lose 20 lbs before getting pregnant again. 1 for health and 2 so I would have a cute belly. We decided it's now or never. We want the ages to be somewhat close and even if we did concieve next week they would be almost 3 years apart. I'm not looking forward to morning sickness that I had with DS but it might spare me. I really should have gotten my butt in shape before now. Oh well!
#89 of 455 Old 12-28-2006, 02:05 AM

SO my question is... how many people that are planning to try later in 2007 are having a hard time waiting?? : : :

Eternal Companion to DH , Homeschooling mama to DS 05/04 , DS 11/05 , DD 12/07 , DS 07/10 and one on the way: June 2015!
#90 of 455 Old 12-28-2006, 03:44 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
We are planning on TTC #2 in Late May. We are getting married on the 26th and would not mind whatso ever if we were preggo that night

Hubby i think has been trying for another happy accident. But since we didn't try at all with the first, this might be his way of trying.

I'm having a terrible time waiting. I want one badly... But dd is 16 months and has just gotten to a stage that i LOVE *although she is being a little crabby lately

oh well... and i think hubby is now more excited for the next baby than i am. He's looking at other little ones and swooning!

This from the guy that didn't want kids... then only wanted 1 or 2... and now who knows. I want 4... but we'll see about $$. I only work parttime as it is but will be wanting to work even less or none after next baby. We would also like to mix homeschooling and unschooling if finances will allow it. Oh and we want a bigger house... and hubby has to go to school in August for 10 weeks....

*sigh* but after his first year of school we should be in a MUCH better position.

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30****35******

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page