Mothering Forum banner

TTC in 2007 - Babes in waiting...

19K views 454 replies 57 participants last post by  filiadeluna 
#1 ·
Okay, maybe the header was a little tacky, but I thought it would be cool for us to have a thread where we can talk about our excitement for ttc even though we have not started yet!!

I will add a little about myself in a little while... gotta go right now.

See you all soon!!

See less See more
#127 ·
So I am typically about two months along before I even know it. Last time with Isaac I took a test on a friday.. Negative.. my second missed period was on saturday. On monday I scheduled a doctors test to be sure.. Positive on Monday. What in the world?
:
My body is just crazy that way. Oh well- less wait I suppose.

#128 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DucetteMama21842 View Post
I'm kind of hoping to be... but kind of scared to be. Does that even make sense?
We'll take whatever god gives us. I'm just nervous I guess..
That's exactly how I'm feeling. The end of this week I can start testing. I've been going back and forth between thinking of just waiting and seeing if AF shows up then testing if she doesn't, and testing Thursday. Nerves are fun aren't they? Heh.

#129 ·
Well.. I thought I would update everyone. You won't believe the spookiness of this situation...

We are getting ready for church this morning and I express my concern to DH about being a few days late now. He says, "Well.. I don't necessarily think you are pregnant NOW.. I just think you're going to be pregnant soon."
: We try to dig all of the snow off of our car and get in... no budging.. this car is not making it out of the development. Settle down to eat lunch with the kids.. and AF starts!!!!!!!!!
So hey- at least there's an answer for me. It's almost starting to creep me out his predictions.. but maybe we are just super close.

So I guess I have some more time.

And I am finally going to break out all my fears and share them with everyone here. I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to be pregnant again. I REALLY REALLY REALLY would
a new baby.. and I am not even scared of labor in the slightest.. it was so much fun last time- but I am REALLY REALLY REALLY scared of the "RING OF FIRE"!!! I didn't have it with Dominic.. but with Isaac.. his head was bigger than the 100th percentile.. and it BURNED! So it may sound stupid, but that is the ONLY thing holding me back. And comforting advice or inspiration?

#130 ·
Quote:

I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to be pregnant again. I REALLY REALLY REALLY would
a new baby.. and I am not even scared of labor in the slightest.. it was so much fun last time- but I am REALLY REALLY REALLY scared of the "RING OF FIRE"!!! I didn't have it with Dominic.. but with Isaac.. his head was bigger than the 100th percentile.. and it BURNED! So it may sound stupid, but that is the ONLY thing holding me back. And comforting advice or inspiration?

This is my first time venturing into this thread...I have one foot in the 2007 tribe, and one foot in the 2008 tribe now.
I am so indecisive! I think dh has me just about convinced that 2007 is the way to go. I'm still scared though! I've never planned a baby before, ds was a total surprise.

Anyways, mama, your post spoke to me because first, our babies are the same age
my ds was born 11/25/05 and I'm kind of encouraged to see that you are anxious to TTC because I have reservations, feeling like I *just* gave birth to ds! I have to come to the realization that it was over a year ago!

Second, I feel exactly the same way about not being afraid of labor--actually looking forward to it, a little--but being afraid of the ring of fire!! I didn't experience it with ds because I had a hospital transport and an epidural, but I am sooo afraid of making it at home this time and feeling the ring of fire.
My hope is that since dh's family seems to be a family of small headed babies, (ds included) that will be my saving grace.

#131 ·
Oh I am so glad you joined us! Don't be intimidated about "the ring of fire"... I know it is somewhat to me.. but I am beginning to be at peace with it. Nothing hurt after the head. And if I had prepared more for my labor (ahem.. kegels and perineum exercises) I probably would not have had as much burning. Plus, I am looking into water birth next time, which I have heard really reduces that chance also. I'm getting braver by the minute- and you can to!
So excited you are joining us!

#132 ·
Hello, another babe in waiting in 2007 here!

We have pretty much decided to start TTC in August, when we are on the Greek islands for my BIL's wedding. It's the perfect timing for us as DD will be 15 months old, we'll be in our own house (we're buying this spring/summer) and it will be romantic as hell!

I'm really really excited about this next pregnancy because the first one I was a bit overwhelmed and nervous and didn't have the confidence in myself that I do now. Also, DD was not planned. I can't wait to have 'baby sex' and wonder if I'm pregnant all the time and all the anticipation that comes with that. I am also looking forward to having a home birth this time instead of a hospital birth. My first one was pretty good but I feel let down in that the midwives were very hands off and didn't try to help me with the pain with natural remedies. I was having back labour and no one even pressed on my back or suggested good positions so I was just writhing around in pain and ended up having an injection of pethidine (closest US equivalent is Demerol, I think) so I didn't get the natural water birth I wanted.

My two biggest fears are -- being pregnant again and how I'll handle it if my SPD is worse this time, plus taking care of a toddler; and how in the world I will have enough love in my heart for another child! I already love DD so much that I can't imagine having enough for a whole other one!

#134 ·
Quote:

Oh I am so glad you joined us! Don't be intimidated about "the ring of fire"... I know it is somewhat to me.. but I am beginning to be at peace with it. Nothing hurt after the head. And if I had prepared more for my labor (ahem.. kegels and perineum exercises) I probably would not have had as much burning. Plus, I am looking into water birth next time, which I have heard really reduces that chance also. I'm getting braver by the minute- and you can to!
So excited you are joining us!
I was nervous to join, now that I've posted on the TTC 2007 thread I feel like I have made a commitment to TTC now and it scares me!
I just can't wrap my mind around making the DECISION to have a baby! How can I possibly make a conscious decision to create a person? That seems like such a monumental decision that I can't possibly be responsible for making that kind of commitment. It was so much easier when it was decided for me and my part was "Oh, look at that! A BFP!"

I am not sure about water birth, I opted out of setting up a tub last time and think I would probably opt out again too. We'll see.

I feel excited but totally freaked out at the same time! And I worry about how I would have room in my heart for another baby because I just love Andrew so much that I can't imagine another! And I am scared of loving a second baby and giving Andrew the short end of the stick as a result. So much to think about!

#135 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by StrawberryFields View Post
I just can't wrap my mind around making the DECISION to have a baby! How can I possibly make a conscious decision to create a person? That seems like such a monumental decision that I can't possibly be responsible for making that kind of commitment. It was so much easier when it was decided for me and my part was "Oh, look at that! A BFP!"

I totally understand this. It's much different when you have to plan, prepare, and make decisions about having a child. We don't have the priviledge of an opp's baby being a same-sex couple and the monumental decision of having a child is HUGE! I started out flip-flopping back and forth one week I wanted one, the next I wasn't so sure. But now it's pretty steady with the wanting one. I don't think anyone can be completely sure or completely ready for a child (especially their first because they have no experiences to go on). It's just something that you have to close you eyes and jump and hope for the best.

My main fear is how a child will effect my life and my relationship with my wife. She and I are totally solid but we spend a lot of time together. I worry what the late night feedings and everyday wear and tear of childcare will do to us as a couple. Anyone other soon-to-be first time moms with me on this? Any advice to ease the transition from mom's that have gone through this already?

#136 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BurtsGirl View Post
I totally understand this. It's much different when you have to plan, prepare, and make decisions about having a child. We don't have the priviledge of an opp's baby being a same-sex couple and the monumental decision of having a child is HUGE! I started out flip-flopping back and forth one week I wanted one, the next I wasn't so sure. But now it's pretty steady with the wanting one. I don't think anyone can be completely sure or completely ready for a child (especially their first because they have no experiences to go on). It's just something that you have to close you eyes and jump and hope for the best.
Exactly! It seems easy enough to SAY "Let's start TTC now," but when it actually comes down to sealing the deal, making a commitment, I start backpeddling. But you are totally right about never being 100% sure or 100% ready, so I think that I will have to just swallow my fears and go forward!

Quote:
My main fear is how a child will effect my life and my relationship with my wife. She and I are totally solid but we spend a lot of time together. I worry what the late night feedings and everyday wear and tear of childcare will do to us as a couple. Anyone other soon-to-be first time moms with me on this? Any advice to ease the transition from mom's that have gone through this already?
I was afraid of this too, but having ds did not negatively affect our relationship at all. I think that the things that help us most are having a family bed, and remembering to treat each other as partners and not always making everything about the baby. I always take time out to ask dh how work was and actually listen to his answer, not just say "Oh, umm-hmmm, I see" distractedly while I play peek-a-boo with ds. I try not to be completely absorbed in ds all the time.

One thing I do remember though is during pregnancy I made a comment to dh that I didn't know how "newer" couples made it through a pregnancy. I needed so much from dh that I was glad we had 5 years behind us so he knew the "real" me and could take the *pregnant* me with a grain of salt. So being able to look past the puking, the pimples, the emotions, etc., etc., is definitely a plus!

#137 ·
And being able to give up any more alone time as you are now with your spouse. You are a totally different person once you have kids.. it's like your inner mother comes out or something.. so If I had it all to do again.. I'd make sure I got a couple of years of us living responsibly as if we were parents BEFORE we actually went through with having any kids. Not that I'd take back my boys for a minute... but I miss the alone "just us" relationship we had before at moments.

#138 ·
Do you think there is any sort of a "magic number" that couple should hit before trying to have kids? (I know there's no real magic number that works for everyone, but humor me
)

I know in my head, when people announce their marriage after dating/being together for (what I consider to be) not very long, I'm always a little secretly judgmental, and thinking "girl I hope you don't regret that!".

#139 ·
Quote:

so If I had it all to do again.. I'd make sure I got a couple of years of us living responsibly as if we were parents BEFORE we actually went through with having any kids.

Danile, can you elaborate on that a little. Examples, maybe?

Josh's Girl, I really feel that is up to the couple and varies so much between couples that no one can really answer it. I think it also depends on the age of the couple as well. DW is 32 and I am 28. We feel, for our relationship, 4-5 years is good for us. DW thinks time is ticking away and she wants to have them before she considers herself "too old".
Providing we get pg the first try we will have been together almost 5 years when the baby is born

#141 ·
Congrats AMitymama!!!! THat's so awesome!

Sure.. I'll elaborate. For me and my DH ... we were big partiers... I quit when I found out I was pregnant with DS1... he quit when DS1 was born. So.. we had no time to get to know each other in our sober responsible personalities. My wish is that we would have the chance to do that BEFORE our kids. Of course I would NEVER take our kids back- they're the best thing that ever happened in my life. But.. that's what I'd hoped for.

#143 ·
Quote:

For me and my DH ... we were big partiers... I quit when I found out I was pregnant with DS1... he quit when DS1 was born. So.. we had no time to get to know each other in our sober responsible personalities. My wish is that we would have the chance to do that BEFORE our kids. Of course I would NEVER take our kids back- they're the best thing that ever happened in my life. But.. that's what I'd hoped for.
DH and I moved in together the day we started dating, got married 6 months later, when he joined the Marines. We've been married for 11 and a half years now and just decided we're ready for children last year. We went through some really *really* rocky patches, some lasting over a year. I'm so happy we could learn how to live with eachother and do a lot of the stuff we wanted to do as "just the two of us" before we had to worry about how our decisions would affect someone who's more important than we are. I'm thankful things worked out the way they have so far. Now, if he'd jsut knock me up already I'll be even happier

#144 ·
Oh Cattibrie.. I'm hoping for you too! Everytime I get an update and it says last post from Cattiebrie.. I think... OH! She's announcing pregnancy!
I'm sure that post is coming soon.

#146 ·
Danile - thanks, I totally understand where you are coming from.

amitymama - Congrats, how exciting!

Cattibrie - I'm with Danile, go swimmers go! And it seems like you and DH have a very firm foundation to start your family on, that is priceless!

Victoria - Bummer about the pill but totally understandable about not taking the risk. The AT would be grueling with 1st trimester symptoms! This is certainly the trip of a life-time. I wish I had taken it when I had the chance. Good luck to you. Can't wait to hear all about it when you get back!

#148 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by amitymama View Post
I have convinced my DH that our next birth will be at home....YAY!!!

Awesome!! We had a planned homebirth that ended with a hospital transport for ds so dh is a little wary of going for a homebirth again this time. But in the end he leaves it up to me so we'll plan another homebirth. I want a new midwife this time, though, and I don't know what to do about that! I still see my old midwife regularly and I think it would be super awkward!!!!

Is anyone planning on using the Shettles method to TTC a baby of a certain gender? Although I would be SUPER happy with a boy or a girl (I
being the mama of a crazy little boy) I am toying with the idea of using the Shettles method to TTC a girl. I would really like to have a daughter and I am not sure if I want to have 2 children or 3, so I'd like to improve my chances of having a boy and a girl in case we decide we are done after #2. I hate to sound like I wouldn't love a baby boy because it's NOT like that at all, so I hope I'm not coming off that way. In fact, I'm not even 100% sure I want to try Shettles because some days I think it would be a blast to have a house full of boys, and some days I think about how much I would like to have a daughter.

#150 ·
I really like the information in the book.. "Choosing the sex of your baby" and thought what the heck could it hurt? I definetely feel there is some credibility to it.. as everything we did is everything they describe to have a boy. Go figure..
Among other reasons.. but I do feel in my heart, there is no harm in trying it- but god will give us what he gives us. On that note.. if you've read the book and understand the celebratory statement I'm about to make..

I just finished my third month of charting!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.