TTC in 2007 - Babes in waiting... - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 455 Old 03-05-2007, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryFields View Post
I heard that a surefire way to get pregnant is to buy a new, nice fitting wardrobe!
Does it only work if you buy them with your own money? I just got a ton of new shirts for Christmas and bought some new jeans with a GC I got for Christmas. I've also been doing the maternity clothes on eBay thing and cleaning up. However, now I wonder, are one of you driving up the prices or outbidding me?

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#242 of 455 Old 03-05-2007, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sihaya View Post
Does it only work if you buy them with your own money? I just got a ton of new shirts for Christmas and bought some new jeans with a GC I got for Christmas. I've also been doing the maternity clothes on eBay thing and cleaning up. However, now I wonder, are one of you driving up the prices or outbidding me?
: Maybe we should all share our eBay IDs so we don't snipe each other's auctions!

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#243 of 455 Old 03-05-2007, 12:33 PM

Oh, I'm ruthless when it comes to eBay. I'd snipe my own grandmother

#244 of 455 Old 03-05-2007, 01:49 PM

I am soooo superstitoius about buying ANYTHING right now. I keep looking at maternity clothes and then I think-if I buy now-it will take me forever to get pregnant. I am more in the well fitting clothes camp so that I'll get pregnant right away.

I keep seeing the CUTEST baby clothes-and again I feel like I am jinxing myself-I just can't do it!!!

But the good news is: We had decided that we were going to TTC in April. Well my cycles were showing that it would be late April. Lo and behold, I ovulated late-so in about one month we will begin trying for baby number 1!!!!!! Here is to my four week countdown!!!!!

Karen, mother to a wonderful active three year old.
#245 of 455 Old 03-05-2007, 10:46 PM

Quote:
However, now I wonder, are one of you driving up the prices or outbidding me?
I know Strawberry wears about my size. I'm a xs/s. I don't really snipe. Every now and then I do and it doesn't always work.
#246 of 455 Old 03-05-2007, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
I know Strawberry wears about my size. I'm a xs/s. I don't really snipe. Every now and then I do and it doesn't always work.
Yep--I'm a small/0/etc. and I *do* snipe so watch out! I rarely lose an auction.

#247 of 455 Old 03-05-2007, 11:43 PM

Too bad we don't live close. We could swap clothes and extend our wardrobes.
#248 of 455 Old 03-12-2007, 01:45 PM

I'm watching the clock on something I've bid on as I type
I do my best not to snipe though, as I hate when it happens to me!

I've not bought any baby clothes yet, but I have bought a baby knits book...I'm starting to knit hats and bootees for preemies and charity. Plus, it's good practice for when I do get pregnant.

If only OH knew that I surf baby stuff websites when he's not around lol
#249 of 455 Old 03-12-2007, 05:32 PM

Anyone interviewing any care providers yet? If you are when do you plan to TTC?
#250 of 455 Old 03-12-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKira View Post
I do my best not to snipe though, as I hate when it happens to me!
If I didn't snipe, I wouldn't be able to buy much on eBay, as I WOH, don't have internet access at work, and a ton of auctions end during my work day.

Quote:
I interviewed my first midwife (of at least 5) last Friday. I have another interview (maybe two) this Friday and at least two more the following Friday. We are TTC in June.

#251 of 455 Old 03-13-2007, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, maybe I am behind the times... what is "sniping"?
#252 of 455 Old 03-13-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:
I've been trying to interview providers but I don't know what to ask or how to go about doing this. Can someone offer advice? My first attempt to conceive wil be the next time Ovulate in approximately 3 weeks!

Karen, mother to a wonderful active three year old.
#253 of 455 Old 03-13-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantesia28 View Post
Okay, maybe I am behind the times... what is "sniping"?
Sniping is when you look at the highest bid, make an educated guess on what that bidder's highest limit is, then outbid them in the last few seconds of the auction so no one has time to outbid you before the auction ends.

I find it works best when I wait until there's about 5 seconds left and I place a bid for an odd number like $10.53.

#254 of 455 Old 03-13-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
I have a TERRIBLE midwife dilemma and I don't know what to do.

My first midwife I hired right away because during our interview she addressed all my fears exactly "right." She said exactly what I needed and I felt comfortable.

Prenatals went well she was great when I needed help and always available. At times dh and I didn't really "get" her personality and just didn't click with her on that level.

Labor was a flop. I labored for a long time and she was too hands off for me. Mostly sat in the living room playing with the computer and knitting. While for most MDC moms that sounds like a dream but as first time parents dh and I were pretty overwhelmed and could have used some direction, some food, a reminder to drink, some position suggestions--things like that. My labor was very long and hard. After 2 days I decided to transport to the hospital. She and her assistant accompanied us but it was her assistant, whom I barely knew, who really shone. She directed traffic, she grabbed the camera and took pictures, she informed the nurses of our wishes and helped me get ds to the breast right after his birth. My midwife, I have no idea what happened to her. I hardly remember seeing her there. I think she was holding my leg.

She canceled my postnatal checkup and said she'd call to reschedule. She never did.

There were some bright moments with her; she did come a few days postpartum to help with breastfeeding and helping me through that was the single biggest factor in my success. I see her regularly and she is always helpful when I have a breastfeeding question.

I don't think she was the right fit for us. Her assistant, however, was fab-u-lous and I would LOVE to hire her instead. But, like I said, I see my former midwife regularly and that would be SO AWKWARD! Heck, even choosing a completely different midwife would be so awkward! How do I explain that I am pregnant and decided to go with someone else? I know I don't *have* to explain myself to anyone but let's be honest, it's going to come up and it's going to be awkward. :

Bah.

Thanks for letting me unload!

#255 of 455 Old 03-13-2007, 09:04 PM

I think in that circumstance just be honest. . . if you feel the need to explain. She may never ask and it may never come up. It's your pg and birth and you need to feel comfortable and not worry about what others think or feel. She should understand.
#256 of 455 Old 03-13-2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Sniping is when you look at the highest bid, make an educated guess on what that bidder's highest limit is, then outbid them in the last few seconds of the auction so no one has time to outbid you before the auction ends.

I find it works best when I wait until there's about 5 seconds left and I place a bid for an odd number like $10.53.
Sniping the way I use the term is use of a program that submits your bid for you less than 10 seconds before the end of the auction. I don't make an "educated guess" but actually put in the highest amount that I would be willing to pay for the item. Bidding with an odd number, like SF mentioned, does help. I like it because I can bid on items that end when I can't be at the computer, and because I can't make an emotional bid at the last minute for an amount that I'm not really willing to pay.

#257 of 455 Old 03-14-2007, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I was wondering what that meant.

I guess I have done that a time or two.
#258 of 455 Old 03-17-2007, 02:03 PM

Well ladies I don't know what is going on with my wacky chart but I'm on Cycle Day 35 today and no sign of AF. I threw up in the kitchen sink this afternoon out of the blue so I think that when ds gets up from his nap we are heading over to the Dollar Tree to pick up a test. I will be gosh-darn surprised if it's because you all know we aren't actively TTC right now but we did get a little crazy on Cycle Day 1 or 2-ish because we thought we were in a relatively safe zone. Uh-oh. Maybe it wasn't a safe zone after all. Whoopsie!

I kind of think that AF might be on her way and she's just running late this month and that's why I feel sick but might as well find out for sure. I'll keep you updated!

#259 of 455 Old 03-17-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:

There are sites that will do the sniping for you, so that you don't have to watch the auction yourself. Also, by sniping, you're not actually placing a bid until the very last second, so it doesn't drive the prices up ahead of time.

I snipe , although I've basically been avoiding e-bay right now, because we need to save, not spend!
#260 of 455 Old 03-17-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison View Post
There are sites that will do the sniping for you, so that you don't have to watch the auction yourself. Also, by sniping, you're not actually placing a bid until the very last second, so it doesn't drive the prices up ahead of time.

I snipe , although I've basically been avoiding e-bay right now, because we need to save, not spend!
I just can't bring myself to use an automated sniping program. I know they are out there but as long as I am physically putting in the work myself for some reason my conscience feels clear. If I used a service I would feel guilty, like I cheated! Not saying that those who use a service are cheating but I have to put in the labor myself in order to feel good about it. Besides, that final second of fingernail chewing and hitting refresh, refresh, refresh is exciting.

#261 of 455 Old 03-17-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
I just can't bring myself to use an automated sniping program. I know they are out there but as long as I am physically putting in the work myself for some reason my conscience feels clear. If I used a service I would feel guilty, like I cheated! Not saying that those who use a service are cheating but I have to put in the labor myself in order to feel good about it. Besides, that final second of fingernail chewing and hitting refresh, refresh, refresh is exciting.
I totally agree with this whole paragraph.

Have you POAS yet?

Oh, I went to Kohl's last night and bought a bunch of shirts from the juniors department. Not maternity shirts but sure will work great as maternity shirts.
#262 of 455 Old 03-17-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I like it because I can bid on items that end when I can't be at the computer, and because I can't make an emotional bid at the last minute for an amount that I'm not really willing to pay.
This would be why, on the odd time I shop e-bay (which is probably not as much as many people, because shipping rates in Canada are so expensive that it's generally not worth shopping e-bay, because regular non-ebay online retailers often offer free shipping or flat rate shipping) I use a sniper. If I use the sniper I consider shipping costs, subtract them from the most I'm willing to pay with shipping included, and bid that amount. If I sit and watch the auction, well, my heart takes over, and I end up bidding more than I really want to spend. Sniping, whether in person or using software, doesn't guarantee you'll get things, so at least this way I stay within budget!
#263 of 455 Old 03-17-2007, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Have you POAS yet?

Oh, I went to Kohl's last night and bought a bunch of shirts from the juniors department. Not maternity shirts but sure will work great as maternity shirts.
I did and it was negative! I would have been happy with a positive although I am really looking forward to getting to try for a girl and I'd really, really like our next baby to be born after the first of the year. But now WHAT is going on with my crazy cycle?

#264 of 455 Old 03-18-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
I did and it was negative! I would have been happy with a positive although I am really looking forward to getting to try for a girl and I'd really, really like our next baby to be born after the first of the year. But now WHAT is going on with my crazy cycle?
I'm wondering about mine too. I'm only a couple days late right now so not worried/excited yet but it's very unusual for me to be even a day late. Da da dum!! I think I'll POAS on Tuesday if nothing has happened yet.

Mother. Doula. Writer. Feminist. Activist. 
Mum to Moo Moo (4) blahblah.gifand EJ (2) bftoddler.gif

#265 of 455 Old 03-18-2007, 07:27 PM

Let me share my experience. Before DH and I decided to TTC the first time my cycles were pretty regular. Long but regular. My cycle was 34 to 37 days usually 35. It was like this for two years after I stopped the pill. (We switched from the pill to the charting method for avoid.) So for two years I charted and had these 35 day cycles. Then we decided to TTC. BAM! My cycles immediately got screwy. I would have a 45 day cycle or not O at all some cycles. I was so confused. After 10 months of weird cycles and no pg I talked to my OB about it. She said that sometimes just the stress and excitement of TTC can wreck havoc on a woman's body. She suggested I take ovulation tests strips just to make sure I was O'ing. She said after a month of doing the O tests every day for a month to come back and we could discuss hormone therapy. Well, I went home and DH and I decided to just stop TTC for a while so I could relax. It was the end of the spring term, and I enrolled for a short study abroad program in Brazil for that summer. I was leaving in June. I literally was pg withing two weeks of enrolling and paying for the course, buying my tickets, and updating my passport. The second I stopped thinking about my cycles and getting pg I became pg.

So I do think that stressing about your cycles too much can make it change and go wonky.

Amitymama, I would *LOVE* to live in London. At least I think I would I've never been there.
#266 of 455 Old 03-18-2007, 09:21 PM

Quote:

So I do think that stressing about your cycles too much can make it change and go wonky.
l
Great I wish it wasn't so because I am anxious to start my March cycle--I only get two "practice runs" to nail down my ovulation signs so I can determine a cutoff date before it's time for the real deal. I'm normally a 28 day cycle so here I am a full 8 days late!!!

#267 of 455 Old 03-19-2007, 07:37 AM

I am eating buffalo chicken wings at 10am. I'm either pregnant or crazy.

#268 of 455 Old 03-19-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitymama View Post
I am eating buffalo chicken wings at 10am. I'm either pregnant or crazy.
Well, I POAS and it was negative. So I must be crazy! :

I hadn't been planning on another baby quite so soon but I have to say, I am a bit disappointed and sad that I'm not pregnant.

#269 of 455 Old 03-19-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitymama View Post
Well, I POAS and it was negative. So I must be crazy! :

I hadn't been planning on another baby quite so soon but I have to say, I am a bit disappointed and sad that I'm not pregnant.
Do you know when you O'd? Because I didn't get a positive test for my ds until I was a full week late on my period. Turns out I ovulated late that month.

And even if you aren't pregnant, there's no shame in eating spicy buffalo wings at 10 AM

#270 of 455 Old 03-19-2007, 12:22 PM

Count me in for waiting to TTC.

We formally agreed to start TTC #2 this weekend. Before that we'd just been taking chances , but nothing happened.

We've now decided to start TTC in July 07, due to travel plans next winter - I want to travel while pregnant, not with a newborn.

I hope we can wait those few months until July - I'm so excited, I want to start NOW!

Glad to find a spot to share my excitement with others in similar positions!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page