TTC in 2007 - Babes in waiting... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-08-2006, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, maybe the header was a little tacky, but I thought it would be cool for us to have a thread where we can talk about our excitement for ttc even though we have not started yet!!

I will add a little about myself in a little while... gotta go right now.

See you all soon!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2006, 10:43 PM

Well, I'll join. I think I will have my IUD removed in May. If all goes as planned and it seems like a good idea when the time comes.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:57 PM

We were going to TTC in July/August 2006, but DH was laid off in July before we TTC. So that put things on hold. He's working again now, but we have a big trip planned for next September. The idea was we would take the trip with DS (3.5 just now, will be 4.5 at the time of our trip) and, hopefully, a 4 or 5 month old baby. Now I just need to make sure that I'm not going to be more than a few months pg next September (we're flying, that's the reason I can't be too pg when we travel). I'm not willing to put off TTC until after the trip though (I'm 35 right now, will be 36 by then), so it looks like late spring 2007 is the earliest we can think about. I had a very hard time with having to postpone our TTC from this year, because literally he got laid off days before we were going to start TTC, and I'd been ready to TTC since DS was 2!

That's my situation right now!
Old 12-08-2006, 11:34 PM

We are also planning to TTC #1 soon, but the exact time is still unknown. I'm in my early thirties and so am heartened to see that Alison is 35 with a 3.5 year old. My quick math skills tell me that I, too, could have a few kiddos in that time-frame, so that is always reassuring!
We are holding off because I want to stay home and we cannot, cannot lose my income. I have been reading to see how families do it, and I read: only have one car, cut cable TV, don't eat out as much, less vacations, all sorts of things. We currently share a single car, don't own a television, dry our clothes on the line and don't have long-distance telephone...no cells, either. We don't feel deprived at all and enjoy our lifestyle, but it leaves little to "give up" so that we can lose my income. (assuming my employer would not meet me half-way with a work from home option, which would be grand) That is our reason for holding off - we would not be able to have me home - and we both want me to be home to raise our children...to bf, to dote over, to care for, to watch grow, .... So until DH secures a consistent job with a little more pay, we are in the planning to TTC stage...We are HOPING and PRAYING for early 2007 (any time between now and Dec. '07 essentially And we're currently using NFP while TTA, in the hopes that we'll be *immediately* successful when TTC!
So, why are others not TTC yet?
Old 12-09-2006, 12:20 AM

We will most likely be ttc #3 sometime in spring 07. I say most likely because dh isn't 100% ready. We have a 5 year old ds with special needs (most likely asbergers) and a very precocious 2 1/2 year old dd. I'm absolutely ready but he's got all those pesky concerns about money. Not to mention the tiny house we live in. But he's agreed he's like one more. (I'd like 2 more but that's a whole 'nother topic!) So the plan now is to wait until dd turns 3 in April and then just see what happens. We charted everything and planned it all for the last 2 so I think dh wants to take a much more laid back approach for the next one.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nony View Post
So, why are others not TTC yet?
I would like a different vehicle than what we have now. So that means we have to pay off the loan and save to get something else. DH does not necessarily want another baby, but he has agreed to one more. He says it doesn't make a difference to him either way. DH would like to pay off more debt before having another. He would prefer to wait a few years but I don't want to wait that long. Our older DS will be 6 next month and our other DS will be 3 in Feb. I don't really want too large a gap between the youngest child and my other two. I'm shooting for a 4 year spacing between my second dc and the possible third baby.

So the main reason is $$.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:16 PM

We're going to begin TTC #1 in January (the first week is prime time oooh ).
Old 12-09-2006, 09:14 PM

Good luck Cattibrie... time is sneaking up on you.. My husband is all for "whatever happens- happens. God would not give us more than we can handle, as long as you are breastfeeding." I am wanting to wait to have a few more luxuries and breathing time. I just started teaching childbirth education classes and want to be there completely for my students- especially when I am first starting out. I'm also a new doula and would like to get some more births under my belt. (Not to mention the biggest reason I am skirting around... the slight fear of pushing out a head bigger than my youngest son's... His was almost 15 inches around! I remember the burning... : ) So those are my excuses. I am hoping for Spring/Summer... and maybe Fall of 07 ttc.

So those are my excuses.

Eternal Companion to DH , Homeschooling mama to DS 05/04 , DS 11/05 , DD 12/07 , DS 07/10 and one on the way: June 2015!
Old 12-09-2006, 09:32 PM

I'm here too!
We're waiting until April to ttc. We're waiting for a couple of reasons. 1) I just had a miscarriage and want to give myself some time and space to heal emotionally and physically. Want to make sure my hormones are fine...so I'll be doing a hormone profile on my next cycle. 2) Travel plans. We're going on trips in April, July and hopefully on a far away trip in Oct. I can be pregnant but no too pregnant to fly long distance.

There is a big part of me that wants to ttc now...but I'm also really trying to be present and enjoy this time. Some days I do this better than others.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:25 PM

I'm here also and it looks like I'm waiting the longest. I'm 27 and my DP is 32. We'll start TTC #1 in Nov 07 . I'm in complete baby lust and dying to have a child but like Mary Beth I'm trying to stay focused on the present.

Our reasons are simple. We are still trying to get our house in order. Like Nony, both my DP and I want me to be able to stay at home and raise our child(ren). We live a simple live now but we will be cutting our income in half. I've also been doing some reading on how that's done and it looks like we might be able to swing it. But first we have a car to pay off and there are some big purchases we really want to make before having a child. Unlike most we : also have to save up for TTC because we are planning to use donor sperm from a bank. I plan to start charting in Jan so I have a lot of data to go on when we make the move.

I'm having a hard time waiting, even though I know it's best for everyone, I so want a child now. I can't wait to be ! Right now I am trying to consume any and all reading material know to man about TTC, pregnancy, and parenting! I'm a big planner.

-Rachel

Old 12-10-2006, 08:52 PM

I was browsing some other threads and found some literature possibilities. Anyone heard of The Continuum Concept by Jean Liedloff? I found a few articles by her since finding her name at MDC and will be trying to get a copy of the book. There were a few other book titles I saw: The Thinking Woman's Guide to better Birth and The Bradley Method of Natural Childbirth. Looks like Liedloff's writings are around parenting while the other two, clearly, are about birthing choices. I haven't read any of these, but am sharing as they were gleaned from other threads on this site, so I think worth a review and may be helpful to those in this thread who are anticipating our first, or NEXT, kiddo.

Cheers,
Old 12-10-2006, 11:30 PM

I second Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way, also The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth, and Husband Coached Childbirth. And I'm a big Ina May Gaskin fan!

Eternal Companion to DH , Homeschooling mama to DS 05/04 , DS 11/05 , DD 12/07 , DS 07/10 and one on the way: June 2015!
Old 12-11-2006, 11:31 AM

Awesome, Thanks ladies I'll have to check those out! That Thinking womans guide sound right up my alley! I'm currently reading "Maybe baby : 28 writers tell the truth about skepticism, infertility, baby lust, childlessness, ambivalence, and how they made the biggest decision of their lives" Just double checking my decision.

-Rachel

Old 12-11-2006, 02:22 PM

I'm brand new to these boards and was excited to see this thread! DH and I will TTC in Feb 07 for our first. We're holding off for several reasons....we just got married in May 06; DH won't graduate from grad school until May 07; we live off of my salary alone, etc etc. We've picked Feb because it will be our four year anni of us. I've been charting for six months now, and while I know you may not get it right on the first try, I feel that charting does give us an advantage. If it doesn't happen in Feb, we'll probably hold off until May. We're planning a trip to Thailand for his graduation/our 1 yr anniversary trip and we'll be moving from Indiana to Texas then. So even if it doesn't happen the first time around, we have a lot to look forward too!

kati , wife to josh , mama to j&d (7.31.07) marion (9.18.08), feeder of nanuq and gracie lou
Old 12-11-2006, 10:57 PM

Does anyone have their care provider (if you will use one) picked out yet? I've been thinking about starting the interviewing process in a couple months. I like to have that all done before I actually get pg.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:31 PM

Funny you should mention, but I am thinking about that a lot! I have an annual coming up soon (which I haven't had in mmmm...two years now? ) at a practice which also employs midwives who attend at the hospital...But I've also started looking at more options and found a small list of midwives who assist at home, which is where I'd really prefer to give birth. I figure I will keep my current appointment and discuss my options if I chose to go with them but I am also planning on contacting at least one home-assissting midwife to see what my options would be with that route. My concerns are money (I don't know, and that's one thing to find out, if insurance would cover a home birth) and, of course, having complications. I don't see any harm in looking into that pre-BFP. Actually, I would say, A for Ambition
Old 12-11-2006, 11:38 PM

There's a free standing birthing center near my town that I'd like to use for care http://www.birthcottage.com/about.html. Next week I plan to try and get a hold of someone there and see what I need to do to become a patient and all that fun stuff. They provide "well woman" services as well as pregnancy and delivery and homebirth, so I'm going to use that to kind of feel them out. I'm pretty confident that I'll like this birth center though. It's highly recommended by the women in the Tribe for my area, and I've really never heard anything negative about it, or the MW's there. Everything's been very possitive, so... :
Prenatal care aside, I'm also hoping to have a homebirth with one of these MW's, so hopefully we'll click and all will be well.
I'm leaving in a few hours to go have my tubal reversal surgery (the reason we're waiting until Jan to start TTC) so have a great 3 - 4 days and good luck with anything y'all are doing at the moment
Old 12-12-2006, 03:07 AM

I hope your surgery goes well.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:01 AM

Hi! We're hoping to TTC as early as February, but we're mostly waiting on dh to find a new job, as his current one requires a lot of overnight travel and week long trips. We were foster parents for over a year to 3 kids under the age of four, and it was really hard on me with his traveling. I'm also wanting to wait a few more months so I can get in slightly better health. I ordered some prenatal vitamins that should be here soon and I plan to start those immediately and I desperately need to start some sort of regular exercise routine (could use to lose 5-15 lbs. as well). We're 26, married 4.5 years, been together 9 years total, and I feel very ready to have a baby of our own.

I have read The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth and The Bradley Method book - both are super! We've decided to try a home birth, which is hard to coordinate in IL, but I've been lucky enough to find a mid-wife already through a friend who had a home birth. I've been researching this so long it feels like the only thing missing is the pregnancy at this point! I've even sewn a bunch of diaper covers for future baby - I'M READY TO PROCEED!
Old 12-12-2006, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmom80 View Post
I've been researching this so long it feels like the only thing missing is the pregnancy at this point! I've even sewn a bunch of diaper covers for future baby - I'M READY TO PROCEED!
Newmom - boy do I feel you on this one.
Although I've been able to contain myself from buying anything because we have SO long to wait it's getting harder.

Do you ever feel your wasting your time by researching so much ahead of time? I ask because even though there is so much to learn and decide what if I forget it all by the time I'm pregnant?

-Rachel

Old 12-12-2006, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsGirl View Post
Do you ever feel your wasting your time by researching so much ahead of time? I ask because even though there is so much to learn and decide what if I forget it all by the time I'm pregnant?
I don't think you're wasting your time by researching. With my first child, I didn't do nearly enough research ahead of time. I think it's never bad to be informed. I don't know if things would have been different if I'd done more research ahead of time, but I think I would have had more options open if I had. So research away, and the important things will come back to you when you need them!

As for child care Kleine Hexe. I didn't plan it ahead of time with DS, and when he was born, I had more than one person tell me I should have been on their waiting lists when I was pg. Mind you, we did get into the centre we wanted, partly I think because the director and my MIL are old friends. And I had a year of mat leave (being in Canada), so we had a year to sort it out. We found out in Feb that, after 10 months on the waiting list, that they could take him in March, which was when I was going back to work.. If I hadn't had a year of mat leave, we'd have been looking into alternatives to gap us until we got into the centre that we wanted.

I feel much more prepared for things this time, having some idea of what to expect. It's just been so hard to have to put TTC off like this, after I'd spent more than a year waiting and counting down to the time when we would be TTC again. I really wanted a three year gap between kids, but it's going to be more like 5 years if things go according to plan! And the whole bit about being older totally stresses me out. We got pg with DS very easily, almost right after coming off the pill. This time around we've been using NFP since DS was born, and not even had a scare, you know? So that makes of course makes me worry that we won't get pg so easily this time around. So all in all I'm just a stressed out impatient mama-in-waiting! And to make it worse, DS keeps telling me that he wants us to have another baby! Talk about guilt!
Old 12-12-2006, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
Does anyone have their care provider (if you will use one) picked out yet? I've been thinking about starting the interviewing process in a couple months. I like to have that all done before I actually get pg.
I don't have anyone picked out yet, but I certainly have started researching. If we aren't pregnant by the time we move to Texas, I'll definitely start "interviewing" providers as soon as we get there.

kati , wife to josh , mama to j&d (7.31.07) marion (9.18.08), feeder of nanuq and gracie lou
Old 12-12-2006, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison View Post
As for child care Kleine Hexe. I didn't plan it ahead of time with DS, and when he was born, I had more than one person tell me I should have been on their waiting lists when I was pg. Mind you, we did get into the centre we wanted, partly I think because the director and my MIL are old friends. And I had a year of mat leave (being in Canada), so we had a year to sort it out. We found out in Feb that, after 10 months on the waiting list, that they could take him in March, which was when I was going back to work.. If I hadn't had a year of mat leave, we'd have been looking into alternatives to gap us until we got into the centre that we wanted.
Oh, I meant a midwife or OB. Being a VBAC I don't have a lot of choice here.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsGirl View Post
Newmom - boy do I feel you on this one.
Although I've been able to contain myself from buying anything because we have SO long to wait it's getting harder.

I don't think it's a waste of time because reading and research changes you. You're totally right that a lot of little details I read will be long forgotten by the time baby comes, but the bigger, overall topics that I've read about have been life changing and will greatly affect my pregnancy and parenting. For example, if I had gotten pregnant a year ago, I would have had my baby at a hospital, with all recommended tests, and vacations at birth, and may have been intimidated into feeling breast feeding is too difficult. I would have had a big baby shower and registered for two kinds of strollers and nice crib and lots of decor, baby bouncer, swing, etc. I would have wrapped baby in disposable diapers immediately.

After reading MANY books and lots of online research, I now am very committed to having a home birth with a mid-wife, no unnecessary testing during the pregnancy (including ultrasound unless medically needed), no drugs during the delivery, breast feeding at birth and sticking it with no matter what for at least a year or as long as baby wants it, no vaccines at all until child can communicate with me how he/she is feeling and then only selective vaccines. I plan to cloth diaper exclusively. If I have a baby shower, instead of a stroller, I want a nice sling that I can snuggle baby in and a co-sleeper to attach to my bed instead of a crib. I also like the Waldorf toys made of simple natural materials, and plan to avoid all plastic toys and kid dvds.

These are big changes for me. I'm so thankful I have done this research before conceiving. Yes, I can't remember every detail of every book I've read, but my "world views" so to speak have changed forever and will thoroughly affect how I parent, starting at conception. I encourage you to read, read, read!

Look at this time of waiting as a blessing, a time to more fully prepare to be the best momma you can be!
Old 12-12-2006, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
We are waiting to TTC #3 until April b/c I need to get two solid semesters in of pre-med classes before giving birth. I don't mind waiting, though, b/c I like being thinner and having more freedom. But dh is starting to have the baby bug (looking wistfully at pg women) and we want more and this time during the med school glide year application process will do nicely for me to have another. My only concern is that I have endometriosis and adenomyosis and hope that this time cycling is making it worse and possibly difficult to TTC. And no one can give me an answer on that.

Research and reading are never wasted. If I didn't read before having ds1, he would have been circumcised. And how terrible that would have been to find out about circumcision when it was too late.

Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth is a must-read. That's what got me to go to a midwife and I had a great vaginal birth!

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
Old 12-12-2006, 05:01 PM

Newmom- You know you are so right! I don't know why I feel so silly for researching so much before hand. I've made some of the same decisions you have all because I've done the research before hand. Thanks, I guess I just needed to feel like I wasn't the only one and it wasn't silly

-Rachel

Old 12-12-2006, 10:28 PM

So anyone here wanting a baby but feeling nervous about pregnancy? For both my previous pgs I was so sick the first 20 weeks. I threw up every day and night multiple many many times from 5 weeks to 20 weeks. My average was throwing up about every 3 hours. I do not want to do that again. In my second pg I also had fainting, headaches, nerve pinching, painful abdominal muscle separation, hemrrhoids, bad acne, and had to fight a very emotional battle for VBAC. I want a baby but I don't know if I want to do all that again.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:49 PM

Well... NOW that you mention it, Kleine.....

-Rachel

Old 12-13-2006, 01:05 PM

We are going to be TTC#1 in May. I will be 27 and DW will be 35 at that time. We will have been together for 4 years at that point and married for almost two. We thought about TTC earlier, but, in all reality, we really should wait until then. DW and I are both in graduate school and do not graduate until the first week of May. We thought about trying in March b/c I would only be 6 to 8 weeks pregnant at graduation. But we worried a little about the effect of stress on the fetus. I know that finals are going to be a highly stressful time and I do not want the baby to feel stress, especially at such a crucial time in development. In addition, DW was diagnosed with breast cancer this past August and will not be done with chemo until mid-May. She said that she would really prefer that we wait to TTC until she is done with chemo.

I feel as though, in many ways, we are SO ready. On the flip side, we feel so not ready. Does that make sense? We have talked about TTC for so long and it feels right, but I get this weird feeling of being scared in my stomach when I think about REALLY doing it. Does that make any sense? As ready as we feel, we also have a sense of "OMG. This is such a huge thing. Are we gonna be ok?"

We have a purchased few things at this point, most important being 7 vials of donor #3978 . I have had to stop myself from buying cloth diapers. I think they may become somewhat of an addiction. MIL has already purchased a few thing...a onesie that says Granny loves me and another that says organically made. I have a few names of midwives I can call to get info aboit a homebirth. As much as I really want a homebrith, I am also a bit nervous because, this babe being our first, I have no realy idea of what to expect. I mean, I have read so much about birth, but I am not sure that I have any REAL idea about what to expect.

When all is said and done, I think we would like to have two...maybe three.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2happymamas View Post
I feel as though, in many ways, we are SO ready. On the flip side, we feel so not ready. Does that make sense? We have talked about TTC for so long and it feels right, but I get this weird feeling of being scared in my stomach when I think about REALLY doing it. Does that make any sense? As ready as we feel, we also have a sense of "OMG. This is such a huge thing. Are we gonna be ok?"
We are going through the same thing and it makes perfect sense. I don't think anyone can be COMPLETELY read and prepared for their first child. IT IS HUGE! Because from everything I've read and heard you can't be. Sometimes you just gotta jump and hope for the best. Although I'm with you on the cloth dipes, lol. I've recently bought some cloth mama pads to try out. I'm pathetic, I'm so excited about menstrual pads. I figure if I’m putting my child in cloth why not myself!

We haven't bought our vials yet but we have decided on a bank. Which one did you guys go with? We are looking at Northwest. Are you guy planning to insem at home or IUI with a Doc. Sorry to hijack the thread ladies, Happy mamas, if you want to PM me feel free!

What is everyone doing to prepare there bodies for TTC and pregnancy?

I've given up caffeine (we quit smoking 2 years ago) and workout on the treadmill 4 days a week. I'm also trying to lose a little weight before we start trying and eating healthy.

-Rachel

User Tag List