If my first baby was early, does that make it more likely my second will be, too? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 12-29-2006, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter was born at 38 weeks. I had months of contractions, with weeks of pretty intense contractions before she came. (No, it didn't make labor easier - I still had a tough 34-hour labor, sigh.)

Anyway, if my first was born at 38 weeks, does that make it more likely my second will be, too?

We're trying to plan which months to ttc and which not to.

Thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 24 Old 12-29-2006, 02:04 PM

Hmmm, depends on why your DD came early. Could you have mistaken your due date? Could you have had a UTI? Were there any pregnancy complications? Was the placenta in good condition after birth? How was your overall health and diet during pregnancy? Did you get a lot of vaginal exams...that could have introduced an infection? Is it possible your caregiver stripped your membranes or used prostagladin gel to soften your cervix?

All these play a factor into why your daughter could have possibly came early. Then again, you may just be a mother that births a little sooner rather than later. 38 weeks is a bit early, but not dangerously early. So if baby is ready to come on out, then it's time.

For the next pregnancy, make sure you have really good health. No vaginal exams (so you can totally rule out infection, stripping membranes, etc.) You could also put yourself on pelvic rest (no sex as it's a natural source of prostaglandins.) Also stay away from other sources of "natural" labor induction methods.

Hope this helps.
#3 of 24 Old 12-29-2006, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

I was in pretty much perfect health before I got pregnant, and ate really well during pregnancy, and went into labor healthy. No vaginal exams or other interference. Placenta in good condition, healthy, pudgy, pink, baby. Good health after pregancy, too.

Oops, eta: I am certain of my ovulation date. I was charting.
#4 of 24 Old 12-29-2006, 02:32 PM

I worked in maternity in a hospital for a a couple of years. In my experience, second babies come sooner than first babies about 80% of the time (rough guess). That doesn't mean it'll definitely happen that way, but if everything was normal and she just came at 38 weeks on her own, it's likely that the second will come between 36 and 38 weeks. That's in my experience, ymmv. 36 weeks is considered full term by most hospitals, unless the baby shows signs of immaturity after birth.
#5 of 24 Old 12-29-2006, 08:07 PM

it definitely wasn't the case for me ! DD was born at 38 weeks and DS was born 40 weeks 4 days! and we were positive of conception date as i was charting both times.

and i was sooooo sure he'd be early, too!
#6 of 24 Old 12-29-2006, 08:15 PM

Def. not the case here either. Mine were born as follows.

#1- 36wks (spontaneous rupture of membranes)
#2- 38wks (spontaneous ruputer of membranes)
#3- 41wks (labor started as light cramping and progressed)

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
#7 of 24 Old 12-29-2006, 08:30 PM

My first was 26 days early

My next was 19 days early.

My next was 13 days early.

None early- early, but each one cooked a little longer than the ones before them. The first was very small and had trouble nursing, but the others nursed well.
#8 of 24 Old 12-29-2006, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

WOW!!!! These were not the replies I expected, and VERY good to know! I went into labor with my water spontaneously breaking, as well. I mean, I got up in the middle of the night feeling VEEEERY strange, but not sure why, and pow, pink fluid! Next time I'll let my husband sleep, lol.

I'm a UU, too, by the way.
#9 of 24 Old 01-04-2007, 02:59 PM

Just to add my 2 cents worth...

dd1-40 weeks 2 days, induced, healthy pregnancy, healthy baby.
dd2-38 weeks, spontaneous labor, healthy pregnancy, healthy baby.

We were sure of dates both times...

I think it just depends on the baby, if they are ready, then they are ready, dd2 was kinda big for being 38 weeks(almost 8lbs.) so in her case I guess she was just ready to come out!
#10 of 24 Old 01-04-2007, 09:44 PM

My first (ds) was born at 40 weeks, my second (dd) was born at 42 weeks 2 days. I was so totally surprised. I was not positive about her conception date, though.

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#11 of 24 Old 01-04-2007, 09:55 PM

I've had several friends who had their first babies early say around 35-36 weeks and they expected their second babies to be at least that early. In the two biggest cases one went two weeks overdue and the other at least made her due date. I don't think it means much. My mom had one on time, two substantially late and two substantially early. You just never know but if you go into it expecting not to have a 38 week or shorter pg then you may be in for what feels like a very long pg.

Not to be confrontational but I don't think the 80% stat thrown out there holds up to any sort of study or anything. I think we've had plenty of women who experience the opposite trend with each baby being a little later. My 4th baby was the latest but that may have been because she was the one who wasn't really rushed by anything.
#12 of 24 Old 01-04-2007, 10:25 PM

my 1st was early so i expected my 2nd to be as well but she was 2 weeks late. she gestated 3 weeks longer than her brother

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#13 of 24 Old 01-08-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi View Post

Not to be confrontational but I don't think the 80% stat thrown out there holds up to any sort of study or anything. I think we've had plenty of women who experience the opposite trend with each baby being a little later.
I agree.

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#14 of 24 Old 01-08-2007, 07:23 PM

This has been my trend:
1 - 38 weeks
2 - 38 weeks
3 - almost 42 weeks.

I think the absolute BEST thing is to just be patient and trust your body.

I do lots of Prodromal labor, too. It's just the way my body does birth. You'll probably have more of it with each additional child. The nice thing is, this is how my labor lengths went:
1 - 18 hours
2 - 4 1/2 hours
3 - 1 hour, 40 mins.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#15 of 24 Old 01-08-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
Not to be confrontational but I don't think the 80% stat thrown out there holds up to any sort of study or anything. I think we've had plenty of women who experience the opposite trend with each baby being a little later.

I never said it did hold up to any sort of study. All I said was that in the brief time that I worked in maternity, about 80% of the second babies were earlier than the first. And as I said, that's a rough guess.
Of course, the "plenty of women" who have posted on this thread are a much smaller sample than what I have to draw on. I don't think either sample is perfectly statistically reliable, just giving my own experience.
#16 of 24 Old 01-09-2007, 06:04 PM

i think every pregnancy is different.

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#17 of 24 Old 01-09-2007, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
DD1 was born at 38 weeks and 2 days, DD2 was born at 38 weeks and 6 days.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#18 of 24 Old 01-13-2007, 11:49 PM

DS 1 was born at 36 weeks due to PROM with an otherwise healthy pregnancy. DS 2 was born at 41 weeks and my water never broke until 8 cm. I spent the last month of pregnancy thinking "it must be any minute now" .
#19 of 24 Old 01-14-2007, 03:04 PM

My oldest was 39w5d and my littlest was 39w2d.
#20 of 24 Old 01-14-2007, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My first was at 39 weeks (10 lbs.) and my second was at 41 weeks (8.5 lbs). I am curious to see where this little one falls in the timing.
#21 of 24 Old 01-15-2007, 03:32 PM

With my first, my water broke at 36 weeks. With the second, water broke at 35 weeks. Not scientific evidence, just my experience. No contractions either time.
#22 of 24 Old 01-15-2007, 11:51 PM

Well, I think that there is a chance. My grandmother had all of her babies early, my mother had both my brother and me at 38 weeks, and my ds was born at 38 weeks. And he was a first baby! Everyone laughed me off when I said that I wouldn't go to 40 weeks, being a first time mom and all, but I was right! I had a strong feeling that this LO would arrive on or around Thanksgiving Day and lo and behold, I labored all Thanksgiving and gave birth at 2 AM on Friday. I think that it is an awful big coincidence that my grandma, mother, and myself all gave birth around the same gestational week, so I feel like genetics have to be coming into play here.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#23 of 24 Old 01-16-2007, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, that is very interesting! My mom wasn't ever sure of her dates, so she didn't know whether she was early or on time, but was pretty sure she wasn't late. I tried so hard to prepare myself psychologically to be late with my first baby, but toward the end, I realized I was not going to make it to the due date and needed to start getting my butt in gear and getting my house ready! Sure enough, my beautiful girl was early.
#24 of 24 Old 01-18-2007, 04:16 PM

I am so glad not to be like my mom! She had 5 children -- all were at least 3 weeks past her EDD, which she was sure of due to ovulation monitoring. THREE WEEKS, FIVE TIMES! Can you imagine! My DS was born on his due date, and I am reading this thread at 39 weeks, hoping for my water to break any minute!

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page