Essure? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 01-07-2007, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies, I am considering the permant birth control method Essure. I was wondering if anyone had experience or knew anyone who has had this done and satisfaction levels.
I am also wondering about the side effects and how they compare to a tubal ligation. I am pretty afraid of a tubal but think Essure might be a good alternative.
Thanks!

mom to Zoe 12-04 and Titus 5-07 both:
#2 of 25 Old 01-07-2007, 06:41 PM

The only thing I know is that if you are allergic to nickel you can't have one. Can you wear regular earrings or do they have to be real gold or silver. That's a good way to know if you are allergic to nickel, as most of the cheapo earrings have nickel in them.

Good luck. I'm still searching for the "perfect" bc too.
#3 of 25 Old 02-18-2007, 05:16 PM

What Is This ?

I Am Looking Into Options Other Than Reular Tubals--hubby Will Not Do Vas.

::
momma to 4
#4 of 25 Old 05-08-2008, 06:18 AM

Essure hysteroscopic sterilization is free of any incisions it is the safest technique. In addition, since discomfort is limited to mild menstrual cramps, it is increasingly performed without general anesthesia, further reducing risks and undesired side effects, such as nausea. It requires no surgery, so healing time is cut drastically. The entire procedure takes approximately 35 minutes, with only 15 minutes required to place the micro-inserts into the fallopian tubes.
#5 of 25 Old 05-21-2008, 01:28 PM

Keep in mind you also have to have a HSG 3 months after the procedure to make sure your tubes are blocked, and use a backup form of birth control in the meantime.
#6 of 25 Old 05-21-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverdidiwants View Post
Keep in mind you also have to have a HSG 3 months after the procedure to make sure your tubes are blocked, and use a backup form of birth control in the meantime.
Yup, that plus the nickel allergy are why Imm going to go for the regular tubal.
#7 of 25 Old 06-15-2008, 07:11 AM

I'm bumping this, to see if anyone else has any more info on it?

Due with #3 in a few months, and I am sure that is it for me. DH is willing to have a vas, but this seems like it would be even better for us. I was planning to get an IUD for a bit while we decided what we were going to do, but I can just do this, then that would be really great.

Just looking for more experience/feedback from people on it.
#8 of 25 Old 06-17-2008, 10:29 AM

I had the Essure procedure done in July 2007 because I wanted to avoid surgery and a vasectomy for hubby. I have four children and I was certain that my family was complete. It really does only take 30 minutes or so, and a follow-up done three months later to verify that the fallopian tubes were blocked. I am very very satisfied with it - I have not noticed any side effects whatsoever. The procedure was over and done with so quickly!! I have no regrets, even I as I watch several friends and family have babies around me. The non-reversable procedure gives me peace of mind that I won't get pregnant by accident. I have no pains. It was actually an interesting experience to see the inside of my uterus and fallopian tubes thru the mini-camera. The local anesthetic to the cervix did not hurt as some people had predicted. My OB was very competent, the most experienced in Montreal. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is certain about not wanting any more children. I think it will completly replace tubal ligations in the future.
#9 of 25 Old 06-17-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrmama View Post
I had the Essure procedure done in July 2007 because I wanted to avoid surgery and a vasectomy for hubby. I have four children and I was certain that my family was complete. It really does only take 30 minutes or so, and a follow-up done three months later to verify that the fallopian tubes were blocked. I am very very satisfied with it - I have not noticed any side effects whatsoever. The procedure was over and done with so quickly!! I have no regrets, even I as I watch several friends and family have babies around me. The non-reversable procedure gives me peace of mind that I won't get pregnant by accident. I have no pains. It was actually an interesting experience to see the inside of my uterus and fallopian tubes thru the mini-camera. The local anesthetic to the cervix did not hurt as some people had predicted. My OB was very competent, the most experienced in Montreal. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is certain about not wanting any more children. I think it will completly replace tubal ligations in the future.
Thank you SO MUCH for your experience with this!
#10 of 25 Old 06-19-2008, 03:09 PM

I'm getting it done on the 24th I really don't want cut on anymore and plus one of the down falls of a normal tubal is there is a vein either near or in the tubes that when they are cut that can lead to worse periods and I don't want that. SO on July 8th I'm having the Novasure procedure done too so no more monthly visits.

Tina
#11 of 25 Old 06-24-2008, 11:43 PM

I wanted to check in and see how the procedure went for you today, Tina.

Hope it went well!
#12 of 25 Old 06-25-2008, 12:11 PM

I had my Essure done yesterday and it wasn't bad at all. I had to bring a valium with me and take it after I sign the consent form then they gave me a shot of Toradol in a mepropal(sp???) pill its phenegran and someother pain med mixed they put in a heprin lock iv and left me alone for a few minutes when I was dosing off they had me cross the hall to the procedure room. Once in there they Dr came in and started talking to me about my Gastric bypass and started the procedure and asked how I was doing I told her just a little pressure so she had the nurse give me 2 things in my IV (I don't know what) and I never felt more than a real little cramp on my left tube there was even a monitor to where I could watch it on. She told me to go home and sleep and I did. Today no cramping just really mild bleeding just enough for a panty liner. I would definitely say a papsmear is worse because you can feel it being done and because of all the drigs I didn't feel anything from the IUD removal to the end.

Tina
#13 of 25 Old 06-25-2008, 05:53 PM

Tina, thanks for letting us know. I'm getting this done in August. What birth control are you going to use in the meantime? (At least my dr. doesn't think its an issue, as I'd posted above. We'll see at my pre-op what else she says.)
#14 of 25 Old 06-26-2008, 11:53 AM

She gave me 4 samples of Femcon FE Chewables and told me not to worry about taking the last week to just keep with the hormone pills. I am also having the Novasure done on July 8th that maybe why she's having me stay on the hormone pils to help with the bleeding after the Novasure. Just an update yesterday I felt normal maybe a little bloated I spottted just enough for a panty liner, still had all my daycare kiddos here, lifting and tugging on them and even getting on the trampoline with them and 1 panty liner did all day with hardly anything on it and so far today no bleeding.

Tina
#15 of 25 Old 06-26-2008, 03:03 PM

Thanks. I can't do hormonal b/c- like pills or shots- so my options are basically condoms while I wait it out. My bf isn't all the comfortable with that, but I had blood clots in my lungs a couple years ago. I guess there's also the diaphragm PLUS condoms. Dunno if my insurance would pay for Essure plus a Diaphragm in the same year??
#16 of 25 Old 06-26-2008, 04:22 PM

My insurance will pay for the essure and a backup method of my choice because the FDA recommends it until its proven with the HSG SP? test that the tubes are blocked.

Tina
#17 of 25 Old 06-26-2008, 06:09 PM

It sounds like it's been going really well!

I will definitely want to find a doc who will do the procedure like yours did, with no general. Apparently a lot of them want to do general even though it's not necessary. Which seems so weird and risky to me.

I've got a month before this last baby is even here, but I plan to start looking into the insurance coverage for this and doctors in my area.

Thanks so much for the updates, it's really nice to hear about other experiences from real people when deciding something like this.
#18 of 25 Old 06-27-2008, 11:22 AM

I'm going in at the end of July to talk with Doc about this vs. tubal. So I thought no local or general am I wrong about that? I was hoping for none so as not to effect my nursing a newborn. Anyway I've been asking around about this did hear some about pain from the scaring. Anyone experince this? I'm leaning towards this over the tubal just trying to make sure. Thanks for posting this thread. . I came on here to put one of these up

Mama of 4 all born at home : Mothering
#19 of 25 Old 06-27-2008, 12:03 PM

In reference to the scarring pain I would think (and this is just me) granted your tubes will scar to block but that will be the only possible scar pain unlike the normal tubal where you will have scars from the incisions also and I think they go in through your belly button for the camera (I think) and for me from previous surgeries I've had that is the worst scar pain I've had. JMO

Tina
#20 of 25 Old 06-28-2008, 10:06 AM

Yeah that's what I was thinking about the "scar pain" someone was telling me about, in my mind the tubal would have to be worse for that issue. Anyway I would love to hear more personal stories

Mama of 4 all born at home : Mothering
#21 of 25 Old 06-28-2008, 01:27 PM

Re: Scar pain, I had an HSG done in Summer, 1996 which showed complete blockage of the right tube, with scar tissue covering the outside in strange pattern as well. I had an u/s several months back that showed my right ovary is "way out in right field" because of this. I have a repeat next month before my Essure consult; these are re: ovarian cysts, possible due to my Mirena IUD.

At any rate, I remember the HSG hurting pretty bad, which they said was the case with scar tissue. But then again, that was before I had children. And when I then HAD three children vaginally, I remember the HSG as hurting more. We shall see what happens after my Essure and next HSG, I guess. Actually, after the HSG, too, I had cramping and slight bleeding. Little dizziness. Probably that's what its like after the Essure, but who knows. I hadn't even thought that they'd give you a sedative. I thought it was just like a pap or IUD insertion.

ETA: Found this on Wiki on the NuvaRing which counts me out:

Etonogestrel, the specific progestin used in NuvaRing, is the active metabolite of the inactive prodrug desogestrel, one of two third-generation progestins found in some epidemiological studies of combined oral contraceptive pills to be associated with a higher risk of venous thrombosis than combined oral contraceptive pills containing certain second-generation progestins. Because hormones are released continuously from NuvaRing, peak and total estrogen and progestin doses are significantly lower than with combined oral contraceptives, although it is not known whether this lowers the risk of blood clots.[8]
#22 of 25 Old 07-10-2008, 05:06 AM

Bumping this up. Checking in with jamesong55, and still interested in any other stories

Last baby is due soon and am pretty sure this is going to be best for us, but I want to get all the info I can!
#23 of 25 Old 07-10-2008, 09:15 AM

Just an update had my Essure done June 24th and Mirena removed at the same time didn't feel anything other than a slight tug and she told me to look at the screen and I actually watched the tubes be put in but didn't feel it. Then on July 8th I had the Novasure ablation done for heavy periods I could feel it I was well medicated but it was a long 90 seconds of burning. that being said the essure was painless the novasure hurt some like a strong contraction but only 90 seconds and then your done and as long as AF doesn't come knocking I'm good to go with what little pain I did have. After the Essure I had very mild bleeding and so far the same with the novasure.

Tina
#24 of 25 Old 07-10-2008, 01:43 PM

Tina, its good to hear that both your procedures went well. I still am scheduled for August for mine, plus Mirena removal. How do you feel with out the Mirena? Better? Any cramping since the Essure is in? I had an ultrasound today to look for ovarian cysts (follow-up) and she didn't say anything to me, but she took one blood-flow pic on my right ovary.
#25 of 25 Old 07-10-2008, 01:51 PM

I feel so much better with it out it was like overnight my sex drive was back and the reasons I didn't like the mirena were gone.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page