IUD removal next month - what to expect? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 05-01-2007, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a Mirena IUD. I got it five years ago, after the birth of my daughter. (Wow - those years just flew by! : ) I will be getting it removed next month, and wanted to hear from anyone else who has gone through this procedure. Will it hurt, during or after the removal? Am I going to need to clear some time afterward in case I'm cramping really badly?

TIA!

~Diane
#2 of 33 Old 05-03-2007, 12:51 AM

I had no pain, bleeding or cramping. Don't know how typical that is!

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#3 of 33 Old 05-03-2007, 01:15 AM

I didn't notice a thing! It felt like a regular pap. In fact, the OB said it was out and I said, "WHAT?" and he said he took the IUD out and I was shocked, lol. No pain or anything afterwards. Shorter LP's post-IUD but I fixed that.
#4 of 33 Old 05-03-2007, 01:20 AM

My Mirena removal was very easy. Fast and painless. I got my period a few days later and got pregnant the next cycle!

Good luck!

Jill
#5 of 33 Old 05-03-2007, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

woo-hoo!! :

Thanks so much, ladies. I was kinda worried, and you have made me feels tons better.

Wow - pregnant the next cycle! My DH and I are still undecided whether he is gonna get the snip-snip, or if we might try for a second child. Since he's not a guy who likes surprises, I guess I should get some condoms and keep them on hand.

~Diane
#6 of 33 Old 05-05-2007, 11:45 PM

I also had no real discomfort or cramping, bleeding etc. I was expecting the worst after the insertion which to me was uncomfortable. I got mine out in december and now have been ttc for about a month LOL. Nothing yet but hopefully soon.

Crystal, wife to John, mama to Jordan 11, Callie 6 and Laney 1.5, expecting baby #4 in Aug 2010
#7 of 33 Old 05-08-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa kamuri View Post
I had no pain, bleeding or cramping. Don't know how typical that is!
Same here, but i did take 2 ibruprofin before the procedure.
#8 of 33 Old 05-12-2007, 03:39 PM
Banned

I've heard that removal of an IUD hurts much less than having one inserted. I've never had one, so I honestly wouldn't know.

Jessie
(single mommy to Emma, 3 years and Angela, 2 years): :
#9 of 33 Old 05-13-2007, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane in Corvallis View Post
woo-hoo!! :

My DH and I are still undecided whether he is gonna get the snip-snip, or if we might try for a second child.

~Diane
My husband hates "the snip" and thus I have started refering to it as, " THE CHANGE". This, I have found goes down much more smoothly .

Got my M. IUD out day before yesterday. I was expecting the worst b/c I really had some pain w/ haveing it put in... But it was a BREEZE. Today I've had some really dark bleeding on and off. But, it feels so good to be done w/ it!
#10 of 33 Old 05-13-2007, 02:34 AM

that makes me feel good! i didn't find the insertion to be that painful but it was kind of uncomfortable when the mw left it hanging half insertedwhile she discussed how best to insert it w/ the ob:
#11 of 33 Old 05-15-2007, 10:51 AM

I am glad to read this thread! I am still debating exactly when to have mine removed. If I get it removed now, then I will have to deal with AF for the first time in a long time, during an extremely stressful time (moving internationally by myself; DH is already there). On the other hand, the thought of having it removed by a strange doctor in a foreign country where I don't speak the language that well doesn't make me feel much better! We have been talking about TTC later this year (fall/winter).
#12 of 33 Old 05-15-2007, 10:53 AM

I had mine taken out in March 15 it was a piece of cake . I probably could have done it myself. I did bleed a couple days after it was removed but didn't get a real period until April 15 Now I am 4 weeks pregnant!!

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#13 of 33 Old 05-18-2007, 02:09 AM

I'm in the same boat! I have a mirena too, and want to have it taken out soon. Ohhh... now I'm remembering, we talked about this before, didn't we? I'll be interested to hear what your experience is.
#14 of 33 Old 05-18-2007, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

The appointment is June 4th. Gulp - that's only 2 weeks away!

The gulp is more over having to face the BIG decision of TTC or not, rather than the removal procedure. You all have made me feel totally relaxed about that.

I will update after it's out. To the PP who said she dreaded having her period for the first time in a long time ... yeah that! I haven't had a period since May 2001!!!

Hmmm, do I even know where my glad rags are? (off to root around in the closet and the back of my undies drawer...)

~Diane
#15 of 33 Old 05-18-2007, 06:40 PM

Well mine came out on it's own, but it was completely painless and I started my period soon after and o'ed on schedule.
#16 of 33 Old 06-08-2007, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

I had my IUD out on Monday. It was pretty easy, although the GYN couldn't see the strings. That meant she had to get some little instrument and fish around in my cervix for them. But, it only took about 3 seconds and all I felt was a little "pinch". Then it was over, and she was holding the sucker up for me to look at it. It was sort of a strange experience, looking at that "thing" that has kept me from getting pregnant for 5 whole years. And then she tossed it into a bag and it was gone.

I have been feeling fine. I had some spotting since then, and today have started a real, honest-to-goodness period. Haven't had one of those for 6 years. It feels good. :

So, DH and I have been down a rocky road these last few weeks with the TTC discussions. He said he was done, didn't want any more kids (even adopted ones - shock to me!) and I was sooooooooooooo depressed. : Then I was angry. : Then I would just He wanted me to snap out of it and move on. I wouldn't, I couldn't, and it seemed to impress on him just how important this is to me. So, we're going to talk it out some more and give ourselves a couple more years to decide.

It looks like a copper IUD is in my future, now.

Thanks for all the advice. The procedure was a snap. Dealing with the emotional issues around having another child, that was hell.

~Diane
#17 of 33 Old 06-08-2007, 10:51 PM

After debating for a week before my appointment which was this morning I decided to have it removed and it just felt like a bit of pressure when she pulled it out but no big deal. Good luck.
#18 of 33 Old 10-13-2008, 01:45 PM

Hey there, I am new to the site and was looking to get some answers on what to expect AFTER iud removal however I was unsuccessful in finding what I was looking for.

I had my iud removed on Sept 2nd it was uneventful as most of you have stated however here we are it's now Oct 13 and I still have NOT had a period, I have taken multiple pregnancy tests only to get negative on every one of them : If anyone has experienced this as well any information would be greatly appreciated!
#19 of 33 Old 10-14-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheetahMom View Post
Hey there, I am new to the site and was looking to get some answers on what to expect AFTER iud removal however I was unsuccessful in finding what I was looking for.

I had my iud removed on Sept 2nd it was uneventful as most of you have stated however here we are it's now Oct 13 and I still have NOT had a period, I have taken multiple pregnancy tests only to get negative on every one of them : If anyone has experienced this as well any information would be greatly appreciated!
Hmmm, I got mine out and spotted/bled for about a week. (I marked it as spotting, but some was on the heavier side) I'm working on ovulating so I can get my first AF since getting it out. (keep gearing up and then not doing it. lol)
You could try charting for a while and see what's going on that way if you want.

Leigh

#20 of 33 Old 01-07-2009, 11:47 AM

k so as of lastnight I am Mirena free...I feel better already. Although, I only had mine since March of 08 after my third baby. I was experiencing many of the side effects women were claiming to have including the depressive and frusterating weight gain. Rather than traveling hours away to go back to my previous OB, I made an appointment last month to get it removed by a doctor down the street who had a great rep.

The night prior to my appointment I check for my threads to make sure of no complications. I get there and ask the simple question of what to expect. With the simple response of it's quick and painless. So I was ok...the doctor goes down there and NO THREADS. After 10 minutes of beating the hell out of my cervix she hands me a perscription to get a sonogram to see where it is then orders me to come back for the next step depending on what the sonogram reveils. No other words then sends me on my way. WOMAN, you just killed my cervix now you're treating me as if nothing just happend. I could barely walk!

Then I came home upset and in pain. I took some Motrin and laid down for a bit until I had to make dinner. That night when I could finally deal with the pain I feel for my threads, THERE THEY ARE! I was pissed! So afraid to go back to the doctor, I get online and order my own speculum and forceps (both for under $20) and made my husband aware that he has another gross project to do for me. (I previously have made him sweep my membranes and other things)

Once the tools came in the mail, lastnight we went upstairs and I pulled my nightstand to the edge of the bed and covered it with a towel. I laid on the bed with my bottom on the nightstand. He had me pull my legs back and opened me up and said I have it. I was like, "No, I'm not ready". Then he said, "what do you want me to do", and before I could respond he held it up. There dangling from the forceps was my Mirena. EW! I couldn't believe that was inside of me. Painless other than i felt a bit light headed once I stood up but I think that may have been from the shock.

As I'm standing there inspecting the Mirena my husband comes back in the room and makes me pinky promise that we're not goint to get pregnant. I guess a 5yo, 2 yo, and 1 yo is too much for him not to mention all I have to say is I want a baby and I get pregnant.

So now its been about 15 hours and only a bit of brownish spotting and a very mild headache. Then again I don't think I was finished with my period.
#21 of 33 Old 01-07-2009, 11:01 PM

Glad you got it out okay. Yikes! Why couldn't that dr get it out?!

I got mine out this morning. My doctor really upset me by telling me that gaining 25 pounds in just a couple months didn't have a THING to do with the mirena it was because I was eating poorly : She said it is impossible to have side effects from mirena because the progestin dose is so small. WHATEVER. It's out! :

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#22 of 33 Old 01-10-2009, 05:00 PM

WOW! You really had your dh do it and it was EASY. I am well shocked. I have a mirena and I have to say I always worry what if it come time to have the damn thing out and there is no one to do it (like apocalypse or some thing) Ok I realise its a bit fantastic but I am a what ifer. It never occered to me that it could be so easy to remove!

dust.gifmama to  ds2/03 ds2/05 dd4/07 and expecting someone new in the spring! chicken3.gif

#23 of 33 Old 05-08-2009, 02:03 PM

i had my iud removed in april of 2009 know what they really didn't tell me much like if the bleeding i'm having 2 days later is my period or from the removal and what id the milky white mucous that was on us after sex and how long will it be before i will ovulate and be able to get pregnant !! okay sorry so many questions now i haven't had a period for 5years so are my chances good fro baby#3 or not? i nevrer really tried with the other two kiddo's it was just like one day hay were did it!! : now if fill like walmart and dollar store, dollar tree and groc. store know me by name and are just as sick of me as i'm an of testing: so what can i do to help me along i keep telling my-self that i'm just testing to early but how early can you test i have read all kinds of stuff that say i should be able to get pregnant right away so am i just the un lucky ones please someone help me??
jamesburnes2@yahoo.com
#24 of 33 Old 05-03-2011, 07:39 AM

I've had my IUD for 5yrs, it was due to come out in Sept. I made an appointment to get it removed. Last night my boyfriend an I decided to google and see what to expect. After reading several sights we came to the conclusion that if the strings were long and and could be reached the Dr. just pulls slowly. So after some giggling and my boyfriend begging "please, please I hate those strings I've been dieing to pull them for a year now" I finally gave in and told him he could, but if I felt any pain he had to stop. So after some more giggling an about 5min. of amazing fore play, he was cracking up and dangling it over my chest. I didn't feel anything but good! I still plan to keep my appointment, get my yearly, an have it all checked.

I have to agree the choice to remove it was easy. The decision to have a baby is another story. My boyfriend is 47 an has never had children. I have a daughter who is graduating next month an heading off to college, an a son who is 9. I'm 38 and have always said no babies after 40. So my boyfriend an I both are feeling the clock tick like its now or never, we have to make a decision soon. We have been dating for two years and have a wonderful relationship, but we both have two failed marriages under our belt and are scared to death to do the paper work again. He is my best friend and I know he would be a amazing father! I know it would be ideal to wait a good 5 yrs to completely heal from our past relationships, but frankly I don't have that long!  We are considering TTC and if things continue to be as wonderful as they are now, after a pregnancy and sleepless nights, do the paper work then. On the other hand, if we decide its not working, then go on being best friends, raise the little bundle of joy together, just from different houses like I have with my older children.

Again, so glad it is out and looking forward to my body doing what its suppose to naturally, without chemicals and side effects! However, I am very unsure what to do now. I have decided, after reading how soon some of you conceived, to go today buy some condoms, and take a few months an think about it. If any of you ladies have any insight or similar situations, I would love to here your thoughts. 

#25 of 33 Old 05-03-2011, 10:46 AM

I had no pain to cramping and no bleeding.  Next AF came on schedule... I am 4 days late this time around but no t pregnant (already POAS).  I took 600 ibprofen before the removal and it was so easy!

Denise, Mama to DS1 (7) and DD1 (5) and new baby due June 2012!

#26 of 33 Old 07-20-2011, 07:29 PM

Hi, I had the same experience with my doctor. I put on 10 pounds in 5months and had the worse lower back pain. I have never suffered from lower back pain before. I also had weird rashes on my neck and hands. She said none of this was from the IUD. Funny, it has all stopped now that I got it taken out. I started to spot 2 days after removal and spotted for 4 days. Then it stopped and now I am bleeding again. irked.gif I will be glad when my body gets back on track again.

Corrie

#27 of 33 Old 07-25-2011, 11:24 AM

In spite of the endometrial suppression during use of LNG-IUD, there is no delay of return to fertility and in both groups 96% of the pregnancies occurred during the first year after removal of the device. Eighty-four % of the pregnancies in the Nova-T group and eighty-six % in the LNG-IUD group ended in live births. The results suggest that the endometrium recovers quickly, normal ovulations are established and the fertility seems to be unaffected after use of an LNG-IUD.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/001078249290122A

Although Mirena does not inhibit ovulation in most of women but the possible suppression of estrogen receptors may render the estrogen to be of no use, particularly that LNG is known to have much stronger antiestrogenic activity than the other progestagens (23). Wahab and Al-Azzawi (27) reported that Mirena induces a clinical situation similar to premature menopause in at least 50% of treated women. The prolonged estrogen deprivation will have a profound negative effect on a woman’s sex drive.

http://www.cbgnetwork.org/3538.html

Your estrogen being in flux could be the reason why you haven't been bleeding. If you have no estrogen to proliferate your endometrium then you will not bleed when the endometrium is supposed to be sloughed off for a period.

I would give it at least 3 - 6 months for your estrogen to bounce back. Good luck!

#28 of 33 Old 02-24-2012, 11:28 AM

Well I was excited to find out how everyone had felt after having the IUD removed. I have had one in for just over a year now. Right now I am struggling with the decision of having another child. I was married for 15 years, had three boys my youngest is almost 14. But I have been in a committed relationship now for 3 years to a man I love so so much, he also has three kids, his youngest being 9. I always wanted more kids, one more actually. And when we first started dating my BF said it was something we would talk about someday. But lately every time I bring it up he says we are to old. I am older yes. I am 38 but I'm not OLD. So I am going to have a talk with him this weekend. I am going to see how he really feels about another child. But I am only going to give it 6 months. I am going to ask him to let me have it removed leave it out for 6 months, if it happens that I get pregnant great for me, if not then I will have it put back in and never mention it again. lol I hope this works. 

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. 

Thanks.

#29 of 33 Old 04-22-2012, 05:51 PM

Ok so I had mine removed on Tuesday I started spotting now I have what seems to be a full period... I had very lite periods before this and never really had any cramps I've been cramping all week-(end) and now I have little clots.  Sorry to be gross but I'm kind of worried I read a few where they said they felt nothing during the removal I felt like my Doc yanked a piece of me out.  Yeah it only took a few seconds but I feel everything that goes on in my body.... Is this Normal what I'm feeling now the  Pink Bleeding and mild cramps, clots it hasn't been a week since my removal,  Thinking about going back to to doctor to make sure he didn't harm me! 

#30 of 33 Old 04-22-2012, 05:53 PM

I say bring it up again if you really want it and he doesn't think about your relationship and what you both want!... both of you have to sacrifice... Or move on to the next your clock is ticking!!! 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page