Mirena Questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-16-2007, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm considering getting the IUD Mirena. But had a few questions that I'm going to ask the dr, but thought I would ask here first...

1) It says it is for women who have had at least 1 child. Well, I have 3, but none of them vaginally. Do you think that matters?

2) I'm still breastfeeding, will it affect nursing?

3) I got pretty bad blood clots in my arms and legs when taking bc pills 10 years ago (when I was 20 and a heavy smoker). I obviously have stayed away from any hormonal bc since, so I'm a bit nervous using something with hormones... But now I don't smoke, and I hear the Mirena is a lower dose, do you think I would have the same complications?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-16-2007, 02:43 PM

You should ask your doctor about your first question. I believe the reason they like you to have had a child is because your cervix has dilated at least once, so it is easier to dilate for insertion. In your case, it may depend on how long you were in labor -- or, it may not.

Question 2. I got the Mirena at 6 weeks postpartum with each of my last two babies, and breastfed both for more than a year in duration. It never affected my milk supply at all.

Question 3. I had a lot of problems with the hormones in BCPs. I've had two Mirenas and never had any problems with the hormones. They are trace amounts and stay localized to the uterus instead of going into the bloodstream so I believe that many people do not experience similar problems as those they had on the pill. Some do, of course.

Good luck with your decision. I love mine so much I'm on my second one in 4 years.
#3 of 4 Old 05-16-2007, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I sure hope I can get this.

As for me being in labor, I made it to 9+ cm with the last one. So hopefully that will be good enough for me to get this. The dr shouldn't have a difficult time dialating my cervix as I schedualed the appt around ovulation anyway.
#4 of 4 Old 05-17-2007, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Ugh, I'm not going to use it afterall. Ater reading "how it works".... I don't want to use bc that "might" interfere with an embryo implanting.... Oh, well. Thanks for your reply anyway.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page