Lose pregancy weight before concieving again? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 06-25-2007, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey guys..

So.. My hubby and I want to start trying for our fourth child soon.

I was sick for most of last year and lost about 60 lbs, I've gained back 10which leaves me about 30 lbs overweight. So do I lose the weight first (be advised I'm not a go getter when it comes to weight loss ) or do I say "Screw it! I'm gonna have to lose more weight after the baby's born so why wait?"

Lose the weight first, or throw this 30 lbs in with whatever I gain during pregnancy and THEN lose the weight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 06-25-2007, 05:41 PM

I think you'd have to factor in how "healthy" your lifestyle is. If you're truly 30 lbs overweight or you have 30 lbs of more like vanity weight, those would be very different scenarios. For instance, I am back to my pre-preggo weight (after only one kid though), but I would *like* to lose 10 more lbs. I know that those 10 lbs aren't significantly hurting my health, as generally I'm the right weight for my size, but they're more like vanity lbs than a true health risk.

Things I've been thinking about include: More weight when you get preggo can increase your risk for more complications (from what I hear), the older you get, the longer it'll take you to shed those lbs (and you won't be doing any true weight loss again for probably 2 years if you got preggo now), regular exercise and a good diet are important for your long term health too, regardless of if you get preggo again, and your health is important for you and your 3 existing kiddos.

Also, just b/c you think you're 30 lbs overweight now, that doesn't mean that instead of gaining 40 lbs if you started at your ideal weight, you'll only gain 10, YKWIM? I'd secretly hoped that maybe that'd work for me, that I'd only gain like 25lbs and then lose 35 with bf'ing and such. It didn't work that way, but I was lucky to get back to pre-preggo fast.

Good luck!

Amy, mama to "Pumpkin" (DD1, 5/16/06) and "Squashy" (DD2, 7/10/09)
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance"- Confucius
#3 of 11 Old 06-25-2007, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

So this 30 lbs is more like... hmm... I'm not obese, and most ppl don't believe me when I tell them what my weight is, I apparently carry it well.

Our lifestyle is pretty active, my hubby is a personal fitness trainer so I get TONS of support and advice from him. And one of our good friends is a naturopath so we get lots of knowledge from him as well.

My first pregnancy I gained 80 lbs. what can I say? I indulged!
My second one I gained 40 lbs. A bit more acceptable, and my cravings were citrus instead of chocolate ice cream and ketchup chips!
My third one I gained 25 lbs. Much more acceptable! I was very, very aware of what I was eating and what it would give my daughter.

So I think, tho can't say for certain, that the next one will be about the same gain as the last one.

#4 of 11 Old 06-25-2007, 08:59 PM

Or maybe even less? I see a downward trend you know? Maybe your gain 20, lose 50 plan might not be too far off?

I think you have two resident experts who know you and your lifestyle best. Have you asked for their unbiased opinion?

#5 of 11 Old 06-25-2007, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Bear with my please.. I'm kinda fuzzy..

Who are the resident knowers of me?
#6 of 11 Old 06-25-2007, 11:16 PM

Sorry... I meant your physical trainer DH and your naturopath friend. I was thinking that your DH should be able to tell you if he thinks the weight is a health problem or just would be "nice" to get rid of. Then I've heard all kinds of good stuff about naturopaths but don't know much about them. Seems like I remember a thread on prepping for pregnancy, and it referred to getting basically a physical from a naturopath (or some other non-Western medicine practitioner). You might give that a search. I'd guess that your overall health would be more important than a few lbs here and there.

And mamas, this isn't a private convo btween Sage and I!!!?!!? Does no one else have any BTDT or info on weight and TTC? Come on'!

#7 of 11 Old 06-26-2007, 03:46 PM

I, personally, would lose the weight first. I know it's easy for me to say since I don't know you, but you don't want to endanger your health while pregnant. There are days where I feel like saying, "Screw it! I'd just like to get pregnant now!" but I know that I can't bank on being able to lose it all later (I'm waiting for reasons other than weight loss, of course, but it factors in).
#8 of 11 Old 07-04-2007, 12:30 AM

i've read that if you don't lose the baby weight before your child turns one, it is a heckuva lot harder to lose it at all. i would definetly lose and more importantly, tone and get into healthy habits, before trying. it will help you keep from gaining too much when you do get prego.
i lost 30 lbs following The Raw Foods Detox Diet with very little increase in activity (just a little extra walking/slinging).
#9 of 11 Old 07-05-2007, 10:00 AM

I agree. You should lose it. I know it seems so daunting, I need to lose 30 pounds too, before I would feel ready to conceive again. I plan on just being smarter with the way I eat (more veggie, less meat, A LOT less sugar, low carbs) and walking and swimming a lot this summer with the kids. We will see. GOOD LUCK!! Obviously all good habits to be in whenever it is I do get pregnant. I would want to be able to keep all this up during the pregnancy!

Jessica Siczkowycz

Student CPM with Birthspirit Holistic Midwifery Services

Labor Doula

Certified Placenta Encapsulator

Mommy to four amazing kiddos, married to the best husband ever

#10 of 11 Old 07-05-2007, 11:08 AM

what is the raw foods detox diet?
#11 of 11 Old 07-05-2007, 11:09 AM

Sage-

If it were me, I would probably try to lose some of it before getting preggo. You already will add more weight due to the pregnancy and I would think you would feel so much better if you were lighter to begin with.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page