Terrified of getting pregnant - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 07-15-2007, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What forms of birth control, other than condoms, are safe for a breastfeeding mom? We are using condoms already but I live in fear that one will break. We have 3 children and we are 100% done having children. I had very difficult pregnancies and cannot be pregnant again. That said, I am still very scared of tubal ligation because of complications I've heard and DH won't get a vasectomy for the same reason. So how about an IUD? What are the side effects and potential problems of it? What about the pill? Depo? But wait - what are the preservatives in depo - is it like vaxxes? Any help is appreciated!

Edited to add - Has anyone used the Today sponge? I bought a box of 3 but I've been sick so haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Are they uncomfortable? Can you feel them during sex? Would a condom and a sponge with spermicide be a pretty foolproof method?

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 07-15-2007, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It sounds like you want a very foolproof method. I don't know how foolproof a condom and a sponge with spermicide would be. Would you be very "good" about using them? (I know I wouldn't be, so that's why I ask )

You might check into an IUD. If you are 100% sure you are done having kids, I think it is a good option. The Paragard you can have for 10 years and the Mirena you can have for 5. The Paragard has no hormones, so you don't have the worry of possible side effects. The Mirena has a very small amount of progesterone that it releases supposedly locally in the uterus but some people say they still experience side effects from it.

The pill, I don't know, I don't think it's a great option for long term. I'm sensitive to it, and after taking it for 7-8 years strait my body started totally rejecting it. Also, it's very comparable in price with an IUD (depending on your insurance).

I have a Mirena IUD now but I would consider getting a Paragard after we have our third child and we're pretty sure we're done.

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#3 of 15 Old 07-15-2007, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
You could use an IUD or progesterone-only birth control pills. Would you elaborate a little on your fears surrounding tubal ligation/vasectomy?

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to 3 wonderful children: dd10, dd8 and ds5
#4 of 15 Old 07-15-2007, 04:46 PM

Condoms plus no sex during fertile times would be a strong plan.

Now that I know what to look for I find it VERY obvious when I'm ovulating so its not hard to avoid.

An IUD might be a good choice but I don't have any btdt for you.
#5 of 15 Old 07-15-2007, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I know it won't be believable but NFP/FAM is as/more effective than most hormonal or barrier methods when used correctly. And contrary to popular belief it is very easy to use.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#6 of 15 Old 07-15-2007, 05:48 PM

Options for BFing moms:
NFP
Condoms (lambskin, latex, polyeurethane)
Spermicide gel/cream/film
Today Sponge
Cervical Cap
Diaphragm
Combination of the above
Minipill
Mirena IUD
Copper IUD
Vasectomy
Tubal ligation

I've gotten pg while useing NFP, condoms, and the minipill. After my last baby, I got a Mirena IUD inserted and am really happy with it. It's more effective than a vasectomy (99.9% effective rate). It also has one of the highest satisfaction rates of any birth control (90+% satisfaction rate).
#7 of 15 Old 07-15-2007, 05:48 PM

Ladycomp?
#8 of 15 Old 07-15-2007, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

I only have a minute but my fears about tubal ligation are the many side effects I have heard reported by women (women on here and elsewhere). My husband doesn't feel comfortable getting a vasectomy because he doesn't feel there is enough information about the long-term consequences. Also I don't want him to get a vasectomy because he's only 29 and heaven forbid something happen to me it doesn't seem fair that he has had to have his fertility taken away just because I can't have more kids. I don't know if I could have an IUD - they say if you have had a child. I have 3 but they were all c-sections. With one of them I got to 9 cm but I have never delivered vaginally. I don't know if that matters. NFP is hard for me because I have PCOS and I often have weeks of EWCM with no O or I manage to O but without EWCM so I don't really know if that would be a reliable method at all. About the condoms and sponge, yes, I would be 100% reliable about using them. My DH isn't allowed anywhere near me without a condom! There is no way we would ever have unprotected sex. The IUD sounds good but I am scared about the insertion. I have heard some people say it really hurts. I still remember the vaginal exams during labour and it was so horribly painful. Hell, even getting a pap smear really hurts me.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#9 of 15 Old 07-15-2007, 09:10 PM

When I had my Mirena IUD inserted it felt similar to passing a menstrual clot, a quick slip in & it was done. I had no pain afterwards.

I'm having mine removed since we've decided to TTC, but I was very happy to have bc assurance up until this point.

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
#10 of 15 Old 07-15-2007, 10:06 PM

You've dialated, so you should be able to get the mirena. They'll even insert them in women who have never had children. Often the practitioner just recommends having it inserted during a menstrual cycle because you are dialated a tiny bit already. Oh, and I've had both my children by cesarean as well, although I dialated completely and pushed with both, but still, you should certainly still be a good candidate.

The insertion really isn't that bad for the vast majority of people. I too was soooo nervous about it! I was so nervous I could barely get it done. But then I reminded myself that I had been through two natural labors, and getting an IUD inserted would be a lot less painful than going through labor again.

Total the insertion took about 2 minutes. The midwife told me what she was doing the entire time and that helped me. I also did breathing exercises like I did during labor (deep inhalations and exhalations). I was so surprised when she said it was in, because I was expecting so much more pain. It really was pretty much like a pap smear for me. TOtally worth it.

GL!

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#11 of 15 Old 07-18-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly View Post
Edited to add - Has anyone used the Today sponge? I bought a box of 3 but I've been sick so haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Are they uncomfortable? Can you feel them during sex? Would a condom and a sponge with spermicide be a pretty foolproof method?
I use the Today sponge along with condoms as back up. Like you, I'm looking for something with an (almost) 100% effectiveness and from what I've read, that combo is just about there. The sponge is a little tricky to put in at first - I use a Diva Cup as well so I'm pretty used to sticking things up there I don't think it's uncomfortable at all. Haven't had any complaints from my guy either. Definitely give it a try. Be sure to follow the instructions - wet it before insertion and leave in for at least 6 hours after sex.
Good luck!
#12 of 15 Old 07-23-2007, 05:34 PM

I was where you are exactly. I was really frustrated....and our sex life was pretty much non existent because I was very afraid of becoming pregnant. I'm now on Cycle #2 of FAM (using the book Taking Charge of your Fertility). I can't believe how much my outlook on dtd has changed....I'm not afraid anymore! And, it's really cool learning all of this stuff about my body and my cycles. Good luck!

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#13 of 15 Old 07-25-2007, 08:55 AM

This is what I use: I love it!!

http://www.implanon-usa.com/Consumer...92885317708333

I have no periods, no side effects, other than no periods, and it stays in your arm for 3 years, comes out, and another goes in. It is a low progestrone hormone, like the mini pill so it is safe for BF. It doesnt hurt,you cant see it. It is 99.9% effective. I LOVE THIS.

Downside is it is new so it may not yet be available in your area, but if you ask they should be able to get it. I recommend this to anyone that cant take other forms of hormonal bc.

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

#14 of 15 Old 07-27-2007, 01:24 AM

My vote is for the Mirena or Paraguard
#15 of 15 Old 07-27-2007, 11:50 PM

IUD
new form out called Essene which is supposed to be permanent

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page