Menstrual cup users: Which do you use? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Menstrual cup users: Which do you use?
The Keeper 25 43.10%
Mooncup 7 12.07%
Diva Cup 21 36.21%
Other (if there is an other!) 5 8.62%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 07-05-2003, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am trying to figure out which is the best, or at least the most popular. . . The Keeper, Diva Cup, Mooncup, or other (if there is an other). I am sure AF will arrive soon and i want to be ready!

Here is my thoughts: I am not allergic to latex--that i know of! So i was going to go with the keeper, BUT since a lot of mammas seem to sometimes develop a reaction, i thought might as well just go with something silicone-mooncup or diva cup. But the shape of each one seems different and i don't know which one to get! Maybe this poll will help!

Any Advice? Thanks so much mammas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 35 Old 07-05-2003, 10:34 AM

i went with the keeper. i got a great deal on it -- $28 including shipping. i've been very happy with it. i can't imagine using disposables again. gives me the shivers just thinking about it.
#3 of 35 Old 07-05-2003, 03:13 PM

I had the keeper and had to send it back (developed a reaction to it) and now have the Diva cup (cause I could not find anyone in the US who sold the moon cup (or I did not know where to look!) Anyway, I had to cut the stems off of both for them to be comfortable. I am test driving the Diva as I type and it seems to be doing the job. I cannot tell the difference in the shape between the keeper and the diva since I did not have them side by side. But, as of now, one is not more comfortable than the other. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the diva works out. So far so good.

Good luck to you in finding what you need.

Amy
#4 of 35 Old 07-05-2003, 09:10 PM

How do you know if you are allergic to the keeper?
#5 of 35 Old 07-06-2003, 12:33 AM

I've had my keeper for I don't know how long-- but before there was any other choice on the american market-- 5 or 6 or 7 years or something like that. What I really like about it is that the rubber softens up with time and use; now I feel like it's getting really well broken in and I find it easier and easier to use.

I don't think that a *lot* of women develop latex reactions-- certainly some do, but I think that the odds are in your favor that you won't. I also remember someone posting a review about each of these cups not long ago-- have you done a search for prior threads! I thought it was an extremely well done review-- not a "you should buy this" kind of review but an evenhanded look at the pros and cons. If I remember correctly, if you're most concerned about something that is relatively soft (and therefore more comfortable I think), the keeper beat out the more stiff mooncup and diva.

Of course, I could be getting this backasswards, too.

Karla
#6 of 35 Old 07-06-2003, 04:04 AM

I got a good deal on a Keeper last summer ($28ppd) but found out I was pregnant two days after it arrived. : I haven't actually used it yet.

I'm also going to get a Mooncup since I can get it for $14.50 + shipping in a co-op. I can't turn down such a great price!

I didn't vote since I haven't actually used it yet. Some people prefer the silicone cups since you can boil them, but you can easily disinfect the Keeper with vinegar. Oh, just an FYI but never use essential oils (such as tea tree oil) with your Keeper... it will eat away the rubber.
#7 of 35 Old 07-06-2003, 06:16 AM

I haven't tried any yet, but am waiting for a Mooncup from a co-op. I have only had af 17 times since 1987.....I have either been pg or breastfeeding
#8 of 35 Old 07-06-2003, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wildthing
I haven't tried any yet, but am waiting for a Mooncup from a co-op. I have only had af 17 times since 1987.....I have either been pg or breastfeeding

I didn't vote, since I'm currently trying to decide if I could actually get myself to use a Mooncup. I'm also a part of the coop Michelle talked about, and think it is a GREAT deal. I just don't know if I could, um, insert it properly, kwim? I really like the idea of them, just don't know if I would use it.
#9 of 35 Old 07-06-2003, 03:13 PM

Do any of you that uses any of these have sensitive skin? See, I can't use body soaps (or regular scented bar soaps) with fragrance because I end up with bacteria infections. I can't use condoms (especially ones made with spermicide) because those also cause me to get bacteria infections. So I am afraid to spend $20-$30 on something that may possibly end up giving me bacteria infections each time I use them. The medication I have to take for it is so YUCKY I'll do anything to avoid ever having to take that crap again.

TIA
#10 of 35 Old 07-06-2003, 04:05 PM

Liz,
As I said, I don't have one yet, but yes, I do have senstive skin as well. I can't use spermicides (we have never used condoms...TMI?), and also can not use perfumed soaps or lotions. Since this is made from silicone, I am hoping that I will not have a reaction. It is worth the cost for me personally to find something that I hear is a very comfortable alternative to tampons....which I also can not use....
Also, I *think* I remember seeing that with one of these types ofproducts, if you decide you don't like it or can' use it, you can return it. Might make it worth trying out then.

T Sherry, yeah that's the reaction I get when I tell the dr when I go for a pg test! LOL "When was your last period? Um, 2 years ago!"
#11 of 35 Old 07-06-2003, 04:51 PM

im part of the Mooncup COOP my self.... i just cant get over the price $14.50 woooooowwww!!!! I was going to try the diva but im not sure though..I think ill start with the mooncup and then go to the Diva if it doesnt work out...

:My 7 year old boy Ari, my fun loving husband and my life!
#12 of 35 Old 07-06-2003, 05:19 PM

Could someone pm me the link to the mooncup coop?

Donna, is the mooncup made of silicone? I'm kinda interested in that one since it seems so cheap in this coop everyone is talking about.
#13 of 35 Old 07-06-2003, 05:25 PM

I voted keeper, but I've only used it for one month. I ordered it and then found out I was pregnant before I ever had to use it. Just got my period back and tried it. Not as easy as I've heard. I had a tough time with it, but I've heard it sometimes takes practice. Just have to try again next month.
#14 of 35 Old 07-06-2003, 06:16 PM

Where can I get a moon cup?
#15 of 35 Old 07-06-2003, 06:28 PM

Ok blessubaby is the one in charge of the mooncup coop...i think you have to join her yahoo group(theres a button in her site) and then vote for it in the yahoo group page....Shes also having an eucalan coop i think at really cheap prices....

:My 7 year old boy Ari, my fun loving husband and my life!
#16 of 35 Old 07-06-2003, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i use Instead. It is disposable version. When my period comes back I will be getting somehting nondisposable.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#17 of 35 Old 07-06-2003, 08:03 PM

I use the Keeper. I have very sensitive skin and developed a reaction to sanitary towels, which is why I was so delighted to find out about the Keeper. I never got on well with tampons, found them very drying and thus painful to remove.

When I first started using the Keeper (two years ago) there was only the rubber latex version availble so I can't comment on the other kinds. I have only heard good comments about the silicone version though.

I wouldn't use anything else now. It takes a bit of practise to insert and remove and I still occasionally have difficult days when I just can't get it placed right. However, it is well worth perservering.

I my Keeper.
#18 of 35 Old 07-09-2003, 11:21 PM

Can I ask what are these things that you are talking about? I am very interested in learning more. Thanks!
#19 of 35 Old 07-30-2003, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Coleslaw, look at these Websites: http://www.keeper.com http://www.divacup.com

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#20 of 35 Old 07-31-2003, 03:19 AM

I've been using the Keeper for about 9 months now and for the most part I like it. I love the fact that I'm not throwing away lots of tampons/sanitary pads/whatever, and I like how it makes me feel more "crunchy" However, I find it rather uncomfortable for the first day or two of my period - I get this dull aching feeling coming from about where the keeper sits. The aching does go away thankfully, but I can't for the life of me figure out why this happens every month. I've tried repositioning it once it starts to ache, but that only brings temporary relief, at most. Towards the end of the day it starts to hurt to stand... very annoying. I'm starting to think about just using tampons for the first couple days, then using the keeper. I hate to do it, but this aching is driving me nuts!

Ok, that got long, I'll stop now!

Amber
#21 of 35 Old 08-06-2003, 11:54 AM

I don't see the link to the coop on blessubabuy...can anyone help? Thanks!

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#22 of 35 Old 08-06-2003, 12:03 PM

b'h

i have no experience with this. i use disposables. but i'd like to try it. is it easy to use, comfortable...? or do you feel it inside you? also, does it leak-like to i need to be concerned and wear a panty liner...?

thanks
#23 of 35 Old 08-06-2003, 05:54 PM

Quote:
However, I find it rather uncomfortable for the first day or two of my period - I get this dull aching feeling coming from about where the keeper sits. The aching does go away thankfully, but I can't for the life of me figure out why this happens every month. I've tried repositioning it once it starts to ache, but that only brings temporary relief, at most. Towards the end of the day it starts to hurt to stand... very annoying. I'm starting to think about just using tampons for the first couple days, then using the keeper. I hate to do it, but this aching is driving me nuts!
This sorta makes me wonder if you have a latex allergy, or if you are developing a sensativity to it. Or, it's just part of your body's reaction to having AF.
#24 of 35 Old 08-06-2003, 09:43 PM

Interesting thoughts, nutmeggmama... I hadn't considered the possibility that it could be the beginnings of a latex sensitivity. Hmm. I know it isn't because of AF though, because if I take it out and use something else, I'm fine. Anyone else develop any latex sensitivities w/ the Keeper? How did you know that you had developed it?

Thanks,
Amber
#25 of 35 Old 08-06-2003, 10:23 PM

I feel achy when we used to use latex condoms-sorta like i was having slight cramps, amost like a "kegal cramp," and I thought they burned a little bit, but that could just be the spermicide too maybe. We just decided to cut out latex, and everything feels much better.
But I've never used the keeper, and Im waiting to get a divacup, from Jodi's co-op.
#26 of 35 Old 08-06-2003, 10:43 PM

Oh wow, I just had a lightbulb moment here!!! (I write, as I smack my forehead against the table) When hubby and I used to use latex condoms, I would burn and ache afterwards, sometimes for hours. I could never figure out what the problem was... it only went away once we started TTC'ing and when I was pregnant w/ my daughter (I never made that connection until now!). After we had her we switched to a diaphragm, which, funny thing, makes me feel rather achy and sore - especially if I don't take it out first thing in the morning.

So, duh, I think that is what is going on here - the thought really never occurred to me in the least. Latex allergy even runs in my family - my mom, sister and grandmother all have it. They all found out when they were in the hospital and would start getting rashes and sores from latex contact. I always figured that's what a latex allergy looks like, but I suppose it makes sense that you would have a different reaction from internal latex contact than external contact...

Well thank you very much, netmeggmama, this is great to know!! I really appreciate your response. Now to figure out what to do about BC... perhaps it is time to take the leap and totally follow NFP *grin* I've been charting for 8 months now, I just haven't gotten up the nerve to take the jump Sounds like I should get a Diva cup too. Wow, I can't wait to tell my hubby about this!

Amber
#27 of 35 Old 09-29-2003, 02:10 PM

I have been using The DivaCup for 3 months and I love it. I was going to purchase The Keeper but The DivaCup was less expensive and had a full year guarentee. I really love this product and would recommend it to all other woman. Visit the web site. @ www.divacup.com.

Rachel
#28 of 35 Old 11-16-2003, 02:08 AM

I bought the Mooncup mainly because I wanted one that I could boil and it was teh cheapest. I got it online and with shipping and everyting it was only $28 (and I live in oklahoma). The Divacup was a lot more with shipping because it is out of Canada (I think) and with the exchange rates it ends up being $40 something.

Here is the link I got my Mooncup from:

www.mooncup.co.uk

I can't say enough good things about it! They are tricky to figure out at first but once you get used to it you will NEVER go back to tampons! I LOVE mine!

Marilyn

Marilyn,psych RN. Homeschooling mom to Taylor (12) and Lauryn (8)
#29 of 35 Old 11-22-2003, 06:54 PM

... and replaced exclusively by the DivaCup.

This is what my sister told me and it looks that way when I went to the Keeper site.

Warmly,
Claudia
#30 of 35 Old 11-22-2003, 08:38 PM

I have been using the disposable cups called Instead, but now that AF has returned and I'm not having any more babies, and I know there's something else, I have to get one that's nondisposable. Which one is the only question. I'd never go back to absorbant methods. I love this!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page