Positive pregnancy tests but not pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 07-27-2007, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have had more than my fair share of positive pregnancy tests. This last one was several months back. It was so plain to see, I gasped. Then... no period, nothing. I have had subsequent negative tests. I have the Mirena. I was just reading the TTC board where they are talking about very faint positive lines being true lines. Am I conciveing every so often and just posting an eviction notice via my IUD when this happens?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 07-27-2007, 01:32 AM

I would guess that's what's happening. I've not heard of false positives.

-Angela
#3 of 19 Old 07-27-2007, 01:34 AM

I'm one of the few people whose had a false positive. They're VERY VERY rare. Mine's clear as a bell, and my beta from that day was negative.

I've also had several very faint positive pregnancy tests. Those were real, but they miscarried.

It sounds like you're having chemical pregnancies due to the IUD.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#4 of 19 Old 07-27-2007, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
There can definitely be false positives.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#5 of 19 Old 07-27-2007, 04:13 AM

I've had false positives too. What kind of HPTs are you using?
#6 of 19 Old 07-27-2007, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammaarah View Post
I've had false positives too. What kind of HPTs are you using?
Well, some were dollar store. One was the round kind they use at the drs- wait, two were. The last one, I forget- it was a blue test. All were the 2-verticle-lines kind.
#7 of 19 Old 07-27-2007, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post
I'm one of the few people whose had a false positive. They're VERY VERY rare. Mine's clear as a bell, and my beta from that day was negative.

I've also had several very faint positive pregnancy tests. Those were real, but they miscarried.

It sounds like you're having chemical pregnancies due to the IUD.
What is a chemical pregnancy, exactly?
#8 of 19 Old 07-27-2007, 03:00 PM

http://peeonastick.com has a lot of info about false positives, chemical pregnancy, etc., that might be helpful to you
#9 of 19 Old 07-27-2007, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
http://peeonastick.com has a lot of info about false positives, chemical pregnancy, etc., that might be helpful to you
Ok. Thanks. I guess I'll never know, but after I typed this I realized that I have had many of these- all since getting the Mirena IUD.
#10 of 19 Old 07-29-2007, 12:23 AM

Well...since you chose a Mirena IUD, I am going to assume you are not personally against the abortificiant action of the Mirena. As long as you personally are okay with that, then it seems like your BC method is working for you, but it seems like your body is trying very hard to conceive. Are you perhaps close to the weight limit for Mirena? This makes it more likely that the Mirena will NOT inhibit ovulation, therefore conception can occur more often, and then the secondary abortificaent action of the IUD takes over.
Also, that last year or so on Mirena, the pregnancy rates go up, again ESPCIALLY for heavier women, so you might want to consider getting it replaced (or whatever your plans are) around 4 yrs instead of 5, becuse your chances for a conception that "sticks" are gonna go up.
Another concern is that...*IF* one of these conceptions "sticks" you are more likely to have an ectopic pregnancy, and/or complications due to conceiving on the IUD. An ectopic pregnancy can be life-threatening and can reduce future fertility by as much as one-half, so this might be an important consideration.
I'm not arguing against the IUD at all, heck, i'm a proponent, LOL, but just want to make sure you fully understand the risks.
Obviously, if you or dh decide that you are uncomfortable with what is likely happening on what seems to be a fairly regular basis for you, you might want to re-consider you BC choice.

CPST
#11 of 19 Old 07-29-2007, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

I dunno. What is the weight limit? I have gained 20 lbs in the last year. I wasn't heavy to start, though. I haven't told my partner about any of these tests. Also, I have one tube that is completely blocked by old scar tissue- but then again, I have three children anyway.
#12 of 19 Old 07-29-2007, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
Well...since you chose a Mirena IUD, I am going to assume you are not personally against the abortificiant action of the Mirena. As long as you personally are okay with that, then it seems like your BC method is working for you, but it seems like your body is trying very hard to conceive. Are you perhaps close to the weight limit for Mirena? This makes it more likely that the Mirena will NOT inhibit ovulation, therefore conception can occur more often, and then the secondary abortificaent action of the IUD takes over.
The way it works was not a factor in my decision. In fact, I didn't even think about it. I just wanted lighter periods plus birth control.

I'm sure I'm ovulating- I can tell. But I don't have periods. I used to, when I first started on it, but I don't now.
#13 of 19 Old 08-01-2007, 09:54 PM

I got false positive with 2 different brands 1/clear blue and 2/ walgreens brand pregnancy test
blood test taken at the doc's office was negative

___

PS I have never taken any hormones/chemicals
#14 of 19 Old 08-09-2007, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

My dr. told me today that that is what is going on- chemical pregnancies.
#15 of 19 Old 08-10-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Another concern is that...*IF* one of these conceptions "sticks" you are more likely to have an ectopic pregnancy, and/or complications due to conceiving on the IUD. An ectopic pregnancy can be life-threatening and can reduce future fertility by as much as one-half, so this might be an important consideration.
Since you already have one blocked tube and are pretty certain that you are indeed ovulating and conception is taking place, then to me it sounds like too great a risk.
What happens if you end up with a tubal pg in the one good tube and then lose it also?
Just something to think about
#16 of 19 Old 08-10-2007, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole B View Post
Since you already have one blocked tube and are pretty certain that you are indeed ovulating and conception is taking place, then to me it sounds like too great a risk.
What happens if you end up with a tubal pg in the one good tube and then lose it also?
Just something to think about
I have an appointment with my doctor soon to talk about this issue.
#17 of 19 Old 08-10-2007, 10:34 PM

Good luck with everything
#18 of 19 Old 08-10-2007, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole B View Post
Good luck with everything
Thanks. My boyfriend was a little shocked, to say the least, when I told him about yesterday's appointment and the tests.
#19 of 19 Old 08-11-2007, 05:18 AM

Weight limit on the Mirena? I have never heard of that... could you provide some links? (I am a little worried since I am overweight and I have the Mirena).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page